£35m for Andy Carroll | On loan @ WHU (the big, long, useless streak of pi**...)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Big Lump? Seriously? I suspect you're letting your anti lfc feelings take over...and if you're not, I suggest Specsavers.
Probably because I've seen less of him than most. But seriously, does he have any skill on the ball because I haven't seen it?

amolbhatia50k

Interesting. I know they're different kind of players but Wilshire is the kind of talent that is frighteningly good. I've just never understood the hype over Carroll and haven't thought of him in that league of talent. Must be a lot I missed then.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Probably because I've seen less of him than most. But seriously, does he have any skill on the ball because I haven't seen it?
He does have skill on the ball and a good first touch (although that has been doubted on here by others in need of a trip to Specsavers ;) ) ....however, skill on the ball isn't what his game is all about....he is strong, got a cracking shot, virtually unbeatable in the air and not afraid of putting himself in where it hurts.

He'll do well for Dalglish.

amolbhatia50k

He does have skill on the ball and a good first touch (although that has been doubted on here by others in need of a trip to Specsavers ;) ) ....however, skill on the ball isn't what his game is all about....he is strong, got a cracking shot, virtually unbeatable in the air and not afraid of putting himself in where it hurts.

That's my impression of him. Big, strong, hardworking and a good shot. Those don't usually add up to a quality player. I have my doubts although I really should watch him a little more before making these bold statements :(

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

You could be talking about a 22 year old Alan Shearer when Kenny paid Southampton a lot of money for his services, back in 1992 if I'm not mistaken.

Marching

You could be talking about a 22 year old Alan Shearer when Kenny paid Southampton a lot of money for his services, back in 1992 if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, £3.5m was a lot back then.

I'm a big Carroll fan but I hope he doesn't become as good as AS.

redman5

Shearer on his debut at 17 gave Tony Adams the run around and got a hat-trick. He was also a decent player on the floor - nothing like Carroll who's more like Tony Hateley, who Liverpool signed for a club record fee and dumped a year later.
Hateleys strengths was his heading ability.....full stop. He couldn't trap a bag of cement, let alone run with the ball. & as for shooting. Let me just say that the cows arses were perfectly safe when he was walking through their field holding his banjo.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Hateley is a good comparison I reckon.

Think a few people are going a bit overboard on Carroll's skill level here.

RedRover

What do people think of this?

Andy Carroll: Is He Worth It? | The Tomkins Times | Paul Tomkins' blog about Liverpool Football Club (LFC)

I'm glad he's not my accountant, his interpretation of inflation is ridiculous

Man Utd Carrick M 18.6m (potentially) is £32,323,469 after 4 and a half years
The sums don't seem to add up and it ignores market value at the time, but he raises some good points.

A mate of mine is a big Liverpool fan and this is his take. He reckons they've paid over the odds but he's not that bothered. The previous regime didn't want to spend any cash and the club was moving backwards at a rate of knots.

Regarding Torres - great player, but he would have left in the summer anyway, probably for a lot less than they got now, especially with the new financial regs in place. Also been very poor and didn't look like getting any better this season.

He thinks buying Carroll is a big statement by the owners. They could have kept the cash, moaned about there being no value in the market and talked about who they'll buy in the summer - but they didn't. They took a gamble and went hard for a player they wanted regardless of cost. They're now supposedly already working on new players for next season and there is reason to believe that they're as good as their word.

They say in football clubs are never static, always moving forwards or backwards, and after a long time moving backwards they're now at least moving in the right direction, at least recognising that they need to rebuild the squad.

December_16

The transfer fee is ridiculous, but I'd rather give it some time until let loose the green smilies. If by this time next year, Carroll doesn't prove anything other than being the next Heskey, then...

Marching

Shearer on his debut at 17 gave Tony Adams the run around and got a hat-trick. He was also a decent player on the floor - nothing like Carroll who's more like Tony Hateley, who Liverpool signed for a club record fee and dumped a year later.
You've been pinching Wenger's words from when Newcastle won at the Emirates.... ( I presume you meant Mark)

"(Andy) Carroll is a handful. Our two centre-backs handled their strikers very well. They were our best players. Carroll reminds me of Mark Hateley, who I had at Monaco. They are similar types. If it was up to me he would play for England."

Although he seems to think he's more than a mid-table player.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think the fee was mental but so was the Torres fee, you did need a player like him, and there actually aren't that many about, especially with youth on their side. There have been worse decisions. It's hard to get over the initial astonishment though.

Brophs

The One and Only
Going on what I've seen this season, Carroll has every chance of being one of the best three or four strikers in the country, which would make him one of the best in the world. The consternation comes from the fact that they've paid an 'established player' fee for a 'potential' player. If he comes good and fulfiils his potential he'll be worth that and more and they won't be too bothered about the fee. Retrospective value, innit.

MPTutd

Carroll is just Peter Crouch with strength and a crap haircut, but without the fit girl or robot dance.

Hitchcocker

Daft signing if true - to be taken to the cleaners over a signing who would not play during the season when they could have evaluated other transfer candidates.

kf

Ah yes.. I was trying to think of a player to compare Carroll to and Tony Hateley fits the bill perfectly.. decent player but was never going to be top drawer. That's my opinion... let's wait and see. Think the Barcodes did a good piece of business here, panic from the scousers when they knew Torres was on his bike

Sam.G

Rooney earns a reported £6m pa more than Carroll. Won't take long for the planets to re-align at that rate.

redman5

Ah yes.. I was trying to think of a player to compare Carroll to and Tony Hateley fits the bill perfectly.. decent player but was never going to be top drawer. That's my opinion... let's wait and see. Think the Barcodes did a good piece of business here, panic from the scousers when they knew Torres was on his bike
Tommy Docherty on Tony Hateleys lack of technical ability: His passes had 'to whom it may concern' labelled on them.

Marching

Apparently Liverpool paid the £30 million fee up front in cash and Newcastle added a 25% share of any sell on fee too.

Good deal for NUFC.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Any news on his injury?

If he misses the season it would be the most sensationally hilarious transfer story ever as they could have probably picked him up for less than half in the Summer.