Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Assuming Di Maria actually wants out of Manchester and play on the continent, then it makes no sense to keep him as his performances last year probably eont be improved this season with that sort of mindset.

I also think some of us arent giving the rest of our forwards enough credit. We managed without him last year, we'll be ok without him this year if it materialises that way.

izec

To sell him for anything under the sum we bought him would be criminal. Exchange him for a top player or get the fee we spend on him, otherwsie keep him.

Some are deluded if they think Reus or Müller would move. The most likely scenario is that he will go to PSG for something around 45m, which is crazy. Even if we sell him for lets say 60m, i dont see a better player for that money we could get.

I would hope van Gaal would give him a bit more freedom, and with that hopefully his confidence and swagger would come back. But unfortunately, i think he has to adapt.

RedStarUnited

The way I read it is, we don't want to sell him but the player himself is unhappy. He could just as easily change his mind and say feck it let me prove everyone wrong for doubting me last year. Or off course he could cave in to the pressure (from his wife mostly id say) and leave.

mancan92

Assuming Di Maria actually wants out of Manchester and play on the continent, then it makes no sense to keep him as his performances last year probably eont be improved this season with that sort of mindset.

I also think some of us arent giving the rest of our forwards enough credit. We managed without him last year, we'll be ok without him this year if it materialises that way.
We don't want to be "Alright" we want to be exceptional. If we can get him in form he is the kind of player that will take us to the title.

Sam

We managed to scrape 4th. Whole different kettle of fish this season. We need firepower that can fire us to the title (or to challenge at the very least).

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
We don't want to be "Alright" we want to be exceptional. If we can get him in form he is the kind of player that will take us to the title.
That's just it though, it's still an *If* at this point, and should he actually want out.. then one would assume the probability of him returning to early season form lowers further.

Will Absolute

Rummenigge was asked about possible interest in Di Maria today, and replied, 'I wouldn't like to deny it.'

If their interest is genuine, I'm sure we'd try for Lewandowski. Personally I'd be very happy with that swap.

Loublaze

ATLien
If he goes we should go balls deep for Reus.
This guy doesn't seem keen on United or England. Has mentioned his desire to play for Barcelona a few times too. Do not want.

Di Maria should feck off if he's not motivated at United. He's been pining for PSG ever since he got here. Let him go to the illustrious Ligue 1 and see how he likes it.

RedStarUnited

To sell him for anything under the sum we bought him would be criminal. Exchange him for a top player or get the fee we spend on him, otherwsie keep him.

Some are deluded if they think Reus or Müller would move. The most likely scenario is that he will go to PSG for something around 45m, which is crazy. Even if we sell him for lets say 60m, i dont see a better player for that money we could get.

I would hope van Gaal would give him a bit more freedom, and with that hopefully his confidence and swagger would come back. But unfortunately, i think he has to adapt.
We need to get £60m minimum, other wise there's no point in selling him. We wont just make a loss on our own expenditure but also be making a loss on shirt sells. Di Maria was the most popular shirt on sale last year in the biggest league in the world.
Im sure Ed knows all this though and we wont sell him easily.

RedStarUnited

Rummenigge was asked about possible interest in Di Maria today, and replied, 'I wouldn't like to deny it.'

If their interest is genuine, I'm sure we'd try for Lewandowski. Personally I'd be very happy with that swap.
You know thats like us asking them for Robben and them asking us for Rooney in return. He is their only recognized striker in the team.

mancan92

That's just it though, it's still an *If* at this point, and should he actually want out.. then one would assume the probability of him returning to early season form lowers further.
Everything is an "if". Nothing is definite. But I'd be confident in di maria coming into next season with the players now around him. Flourishing and creating a ridiculous amount of goals for us. As long as he is happy to stay and play then there is no reason to sell. There are no real better players available.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Everything is an "if". Nothing is definite. But I'd be confident in di maria coming into next season with the players now around him. Flourishing and creating a ridiculous amount of goals for us. As long as he is happy to stay and play then there is no reason to sell. There are no real better players available.
I'd be less slightly confident than yourself, if ADM and his young family are still living out of a hotel and refusing to buy/rent another house in the area, I know from personal experience if your Mr's isn't happy where you're living, your life is turned upside down. :D If he want's to stay I'd absolutely agree we should keep him no matter the interest from other clubs, as there aren't any better potentially, but... if his private life is still unsettled and his wife still want's France, well...

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
We can't win the league next season without him IMO. Even if he stays and have a good season it's a big ask, without him it just isnt happening.

mancan92

We can't win the league next season without him IMO. Even if he stays and have a good season it's a big ask, without him it just isnt happening.
Yep this is where I'm at. He's our best attacking player. Do what ever it takes to get him excited and happy. Or we will miss out.

Will Absolute

You know thats like us asking them for Robben and them asking us for Rooney in return. He is their only recognized striker in the team.
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if Bayern desperately wanted a top player like Di Maria, they might be willing to sacrifice their striker to get him, if they thought they could replace his role in the team. Robben and Ribery are both getting on a bit, world class wingers don't grow on trees, and stranger things have happened in football.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Very much agree. He's one of the very few players we have capable of being a genuine match winner. If we end up selling him, there are very few players out there who can replace the potential he carries. Whether he'll realize that potential is a different question of course, but nobody can argue that he is one of few who can elevate us to another level, and that there a few others out there who realistically can do the same.

Esquire

Very much agree. He's one of the very few players we have capable of being a genuine match winner. If we end up selling him, there are very few players out there who can replace the potential he carries. Whether he'll realize that potential is a different question of course, but nobody can argue that he is one of few who can elevate us to another level, and that there a few others out there who realistically can do the same.
He is definitely a match winner but by all accounts he and his wife are really unsettled and want to leave.

Agree with this. He is a matchwinner but he and his family obviously do not want to be here by all accounts so there is really no point in holding him where he is unhappy. The problem is that we are not getting true value for him. Apparently PSG is only offering 40m and if I were Ed I'd tell them to eff off.

NK86

I think that's a good thing, potentially, for an LvG 4-3-3. What LvG and Simeone look for in a wide player is different so I don't think we can hold that against him. In fact, that he has experience playing in both positions is great. Same as with Memphis, he can play as a wide forward or a central striker, which would give us a fluid forward line and options if we pick up injuries.

I still think AdM can play the wing role and I hope he gives it a shot, anyway.
Memphis is a striker in the same way that Rooney is a midfielder. Both can "do a job" if needed in the other position.

We need to get out of this mentality of having people in positioslns who can just about fit in there. We need to have exceptional players in their correct positions if we want to make an actual assault on the league.

Losing Di Maria and getting someone like Cavani or Griezmann as the only replacement only unbalances the squad, which LvG was crying about 90% of the time last season.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Griezmann is almost a striker. Played wide for Sociedad but didn't look all that great wide for Atletico and then improved a lot through the middle.

Watching that, it was clearly a confidence issue last year. They way he drives at players was something he did for his first couple of months at Utd. He wasn't attempting the same things later on. If we can get him confident and motivated then there is no reason why he could not produce similar for us. That's why I would be pissed of if we were looking to get rid of him, or he has given up here.
It's not only the mistakes. He won a lot of fouls in that video that wouldn't be awarded in England. Both those elements of his game was present for us last season. Maybe it's a case of him not really being suited for both Van Gaal's style and the English game.

I won't be complaining if he's sold to be honest.

Sereques

Memphis is a striker in the same way that Rooney is a midfielder. Both can "do a job" if needed in the other position.

We need to get out of this mentality of having people in positioslns who can just about fit in there. We need to have exceptional players in their correct positions if we want to make an actual assault on the league.

Losing Di Maria and getting someone like Cavani or Griezmann as the only replacement only unbalances the squad, which LvG was crying about 90% of the time last season.
How do you know that? You don't even know what LVG looks at when he says the team is not balance. What kind of balance does ADM brings tot he squad?

NK86

How do you know that? You don't even know what LVG looks at when he says the team is not balance. What kind of balance does ADM brings tot he squad?
He talked about the balance a heck of a lot when he had to play Rooney in midfield. I don't know what would be an unbalanced squad to him but if we had to play a center forward out wide, would it make it any better than having an actual wide player playing there?

Unless you know of some other way to define the squad balance.

Sereques

He talked about the balance a heck of a lot when he had to play Rooney in midfield. I don't know what would be an unbalanced squad to him but if we had to play a center forward out wide, would it make it any better than having an actual wide player playing there?

Unless you know of some other way to define the squad balance.
I read your first post again, you don't need exceptional players in their correct position to lay assault on the premier league. It's about what brings the most threat. 07/08, Rooney was pulled out wide to make way for CR7 because that gave us the most threat. Guess what we won?

If Depay is lethal in front of goal then Rooney makes way.

Bwuk

Bayern Munich want him, and don't want half the players we are being linked with as a potential replacement.

Do the math. Di Maria is brilliant, and I don't think half the posters on here realise just how good he is.

GBBQ

While his class is undoubted and getting him to play at his full potential would be a huge bonus to the team I just don't think he is the key to whether we are successful or not. Our best run of form last season came with him on the bench. Not saying he wont improve us but we're not running around aimlessly without him all the same.

NK86

I read your first post again, you don't need exceptional players in their correct position to lay assault on the premier league. It's about what brings the most threat. 07/08, Rooney was pulled out wide to make way for CR7 because that gave us the most threat. Guess what we won?

We sacrificed Rooney's position because it was CR7 and that happened far less than you would think. Depay has hardly played in the striker position and even if he is good there, Rooney is no longer the player he was in 2007-08. He has lost a lot of explosiveness and I doubt LVG will deploy him as a wide attacker.

However, I was discussing about Di Maria. Bringing in a striker, who has not performed very well from the wide areas before, to replace Di Maria would definitely hinder us whichever way you look at it.

Ash_G

I think it would be very disappointing if he were to leave and for me I can't understand why we wouldn't want to adapt to fit in the best player we have, even if last season his form was poor (although output was good). Additionally for me I think not having an established player with pace and creativity like him in the team would leave us in a tough position to mount an effective challenge if he's not replaced as I think we'd be too one dimensional and the team lacks pace. Depay obviously brings pace and flair but he's young and will definitely have plenty of issues to iron out.

People can point out that we had a very good spell last season without him playing but that was with a tactic that initially caused teams issues with how to counter it, particularly where they hadn't anticipated it. Once they had whilst the confidence we gained helped us you could clearly see that we still lacked real cutting edge and a lack of pace in attack hindered us.

For me with the midfield signings we've made we've given ourselves a strong base in the middle now, with a cb signing I think defensively we've got enough to have ADM playing a relatively high risk game and for me if Mata is back in favour and now with Depay we've got the makings of a potentially very exciting attack, a more exciting and versatile attack for me that if we brought in someone like Cavani and pushed Rooney back of the striker.

VanGaalEra

Really don't want him to leave. If he did, this very good transfer window would go to shit.

Our wingers would be Depay, Mata, Januzaj and Young. We need ADM, especially with the strengthening we've done in MF and will do in defence.

If he leaves, this becomes an average window for me. I'd be gutted. FFS find a way to get him back to the level he was at. It wasn't just his skill or assists which was great, it was his work rate.... It was incredible.

:( :(

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
However, I was discussing about Di Maria. Bringing in a striker, who has not performed very well from the wide areas before, to replace Di Maria would definitely hinder us whichever way you look at it.
Griezmann isn't a pur striker, he can play there but he played most of his career on the wing, and why would you assume that Cavani will replace Di Maria on the wing? There is more chance for Cavani to compete with Rooney, while Mata, Pereira, Januzaj or an new signing replace Di Maria.

Sereques

As much as I like ADM, I don't think we will miss him as much as people are making it out to be. The dude was crap for half of the season, after his red card, we played better football and score loads until Carrick got........ :mad:

We have Depay, even though he's not premiership tested, the man is fast and strongly built. What else do you need in the premier league?

The only reason I don't want ADM to go is the price we paid. Selling after one season seems wasteful. But what can you do if the player himself doesn't want to be here and can't be assed to play better when the going gets tough.

Kaos

If we get Reus or Lewandowski in his place, then fine. Otherwise don't sell. Simples.

I don't want us to swap him for feckin Lucas Moura.

saivet

Minor issue, but that was 08/09. In 07/08 I remember Ronaldo playing on the left for the majority of the time in the CL.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
As much as I like ADM, I don't think we will miss him as much as people are making it out to be. The dude was crap for half of the season, after his red card, we played better football and score loads until Carrick got........ :mad:

We have Depay, even though he's not premiership tested, the man is fast and strongly built. What else do you need in the premier league?

The only reason I don't want ADM to go is the price we paid. Selling after one season seems wasteful. But what can you do if the player himself doesn't want to be here and can't be assed to play better when the going gets tough.
You need a lot more than that because there are a ton of players who are fast and strongly built in the league.

NK86

Griezmann isn't a pur striker, he can play there but he played most of his career on the wing, and why would you assume that Cavani will replace Di Maria on the wing? There is more chance for Cavani to compete with Rooney, while Mata, Pereira, Januzaj or an new signing replace Di Maria.
That is the thing, my initial comment was on a post which said that we could get Cavani off them in exchange for Di Maria. I just built from there that we may not buy another top wide player (who is available now on the market anyway) to replace Di Maria.

Mata has proven he can play there, so has Januzaj but I am not sure Pereira is a wide attacker. However, none of those three will replace the qualities that we would get from an in-form Di Maria. The ability to scare defenders with pure pace and dribbling ability.

None of those you mentioned would be able to get behind a defense regularly or create something out of nothing which is what we lacked badly last season.

settembrini

Januzaj is perfectly capable of scaring defenders with pace and dribbling.

In our complete garbage team under Moyes he played almost exactly the same amount of minutes as Di Maria did in a far better team last season. And of the two of them Januzaj took on and beat defenders at the higher rate (2.79 successful take-ons per 90 minutes vs 2.47 for Di Maria).

I am getting more and more confused by how highly this thread regards Di Maria as a winger. He's very much third tier. Not even close to freaks like Ronaldo and Messi and then comfortably behind the second tier guys like Hazard, Sanchez and Bale. But the longer people go without seeing him the more hyperbolic they are becoming in their praise. The guy who ended up our bench now seems to be considered our irreplaceable best player who will carry us to glory.

JPRouve

Scout
That is the thing, my initial comment was on a post which said that we could get Cavani off them in exchange for Di Maria. I just built from there that we may not buy another top wide player (who is available now on the market anyway) to replace Di Maria.

Mata has proven he can play there, so has Januzaj but I am not sure Pereira is a wide attacker. However, none of those three will replace the qualities that we would get from an in-form Di Maria. The ability to scare defenders with pure pace and dribbling ability.

None of those you mentioned would be able to get behind a defense regularly or create something out of nothing which is what we lacked badly last season.
Last season Di Maria didn't ran behind the defense with Madrid he wasn't running behind the defense, that's not even a thing that he does a lot, he likes to have the ball at his feet. In term of dribbling and running at defenders Januzaj and Pereira can do it and in terms of production-creativity Mata is a top player.
I understand that people wants to see us use the pace that Di Maria has, I understand that. But the truth is that we are not a counter attacking team and since teams park the bus against us the pace is in front or in the middle of the defense not behind it, we have enough pace with Januzaj, Depay, Young, Pereira or Wilson. Also I feel that people are overlooking Mata's contribution in the creativity department, Mata isn't inferior to Di Maria.
What we need is creativity, control and productivity, Di Maria has two of those attributes and that's what make him potentially important to us, it's not his pace.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Januzaj is perfectly capable of scaring defenders with pace and dribbling.

In our complete garbage team under Moyes he played almost exactly the same amount of minutes as Di Maria did in a far better team last season. And of the two of them Januzaj took on and beat defenders at the higher rate (2.79 successful take-ons per 90 minutes vs 2.47 for Di Maria).

I am getting more and more confused by how highly this thread regards Di Maria as a winger. He's very much third tier. Not even close to freaks like Ronaldo and Messi and then comfortably behind the second tier guys like Hazard, Sanchez and Bale. But the longer people go without seeing him the more hyperbolic they are becoming in their praise. The guy who ended up our bench now seems to be considered our irreplaceable best player who will carry us to glory.
In all honesty I would be delighted with selling AdM if it means that Januzaj stepped up and started fulfilling his potential. His ceiling is very high.

Just not seeing it based on last season, but then again, young players rarely develop linearly.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
In all honesty I would be delighted with selling AdM if it means that Januzaj stepped up and started fulfilling his potential. His ceiling is very high.

Just not seeing it based on last season, but then again, young players rarely develop linearly.

Januzaj cannot replace Di Maria because he's just not of a similar mold. Adnan needs to play behind the striker as a false nine or something around that area. Di Maria is a proper pacey winger. I think Di Maria is over-rated on here (and everywhere else) but he's still a very, very good winger. In my view, he's a much better version of Nani and we really need that right now.

Basically, we need to make sure he stays.

NK86

Last season Di Maria didn't ran behind the defense with Madrid he wasn't running behind the defense, that's not even a thing that he does a lot, he likes to have the ball at his feet. In term of dribbling and running at defenders Januzaj and Pereira can do it and in terms of production-creativity Mata is a top player.
I understand that people wants to see us use the pace that Di Maria has, I understand that. But the truth is that we are not a counter attacking team and since teams park the bus against us the pace is in front or in the middle of the defense not behind it, we have enough pace with Januzaj, Depay, Young, Pereira or Wilson. Also I feel that people are overlooking Mata's contribution in the creativity department, Mata isn't inferior to Di Maria.
What we need is creativity, control and productivity, Di Maria has two of those attributes and that's what make him potentially important to us, it's not his pace.
Pace is a very important aspect when we try to beat teams. You can argue we have become a more possession based team of late, but you must not forget that even the most possession based ones have pace in their side to hit the opponents on the counter. His dribbling and creativity is obviously more paramount and I don't deny that.

JPRouve

Scout
Pace is a very important aspect when we try to beat teams. You can argue we have become a more possession based team of late, but you must not forget that even the most possession based ones have pace in their side to hit the opponents on the counter. His dribbling and creativity is obviously more paramount and I don't deny that.
But we aren't without pace, Shaw, Rooney, Wilson, Young, Hernandez, Depay, Januzaj, Darmian, Valencia or even Herrera they all have a decent amount of pace. We can cope without Di Maria or a winger as fast as Di Maria.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
While his class is undoubted and getting him to play at his full potential would be a huge bonus to the team I just don't think he is the key to whether we are successful or not. Our best run of form last season came with him on the bench. Not saying he wont improve us but we're not running around aimlessly without him all the same.
I don't mean to say we're shit without him or anything. We don't have anyone capable of wrecking defences on their own like Hazard, Sanchez and Aguero can besides AdM so we'd be fighting an uphill battle trying to finish above all 3 of their teams without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.