Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Too many shite sources, yeah. We've seen how clueless the media are with our club in recent times.
To be fair foreign sources had been spot on about Depay and Darmian, also Schweinsteiger. Domestic sources know little.

Shark

@NotShark
That's my outlook. If he has the fight to stay here and prove himself then great. But leaving is the easy option, and it won't say much for his character (in a footballing sense) if he swans off to Paris in a pressure-free zone. We don't need that.
He should take example from players like Young and Fellaini who both showed incredible fight to rise from the ashes. They're the types of characters I want to see play for the club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
To be fair foreign sources had been spot on about Depay and Darmian, also Schweinsteiger. Domestic sources know little.
But still, it's just coming from French sources that seem more hopeful than anything really concrete.

Shark

@NotShark
So you want him to stay?
Yes, if he's willing to put his head down and prove his obvious quality, which he's apparently said he'll do. I'm just speaking in the context of the countless reports stating otherwise.

El-Manos

He already came out several times saying he will stay, not sure why this keeps coming up?

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
If this is true the whole summer transfer feeling will be destroyed. No way I'm happy with losing ADM + seeing the Glazers end up with a positive transfer result in cash. Go feck yourself.

Kakeru

He's not leaving. Doesn't strike me as the type of personality that run away because a few bumps in the road. He'll do great next season.
I would like to believe that as well. However, the thing I don't understand is how and why rumors keep flying around him even after he said himself that he wants to take the challenge of improving his game at United?

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
He should only be sold unless we're getting Moura in exchange, otherwise it'd be a real downer on such a fantastic transfer window.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
'Too many sources' doesn't mean a thing other than French press and maybe PSG planting stories.

PSG want him? Good for them, it we don't want to sell and he's not pushing a move then nothing happens.

He's said publicly and repeatedly that he's staying, and if our transfer dealings have shown anything it's that the press don't have a frigging clue what we're up to.

stepic

His denial didn't stop rumors sadly and hasn't stopped PSG from targeting him. I just wanna precise again, I don't think he has got to say something even stronger in terms of denial. Just that part of me wishes he'd clearly tell Paris to feck off in crude and clear words.
that's not his fault, the press is just full of shit. and when has any player ever done that?

marcomanmufc

Seeing as he came out and said that he was staying last month, i don't think he'll come out and say it again.

That said, i just wrote on the transfer page though, that i wouldn't be absolutely gutted if he left, just simply because his best position in MF is packed full of talent now, who may not be as good as him, but do perhaps work for the team harder and are more consistent. If it was between Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin playing with Herrera or ADM, i think i'd pick Herrera most of the time; even though ADM is the better player.

If he goes, then i don't think he'll go kicking and screaming, but i'd imagine that he'll be disappointed not to have made a bigger impact while here. You can rest assured though that we'll get a significant wedge for letting him go though. Whether or not it's the fully £60m i'm not sure, but i do think it'll be £50m+. Just seen that PSG are apparently thinking £43m will get him...£6m less than Sterling went for, er don't think so!? Even with his relatively poor season last year, he still was better than Sterling (at least in assists but i'd say overall as well)

All i can say, to hopefully put some of your minds at rest. This is all stemming from the Le Parisien and L'Equipe newspapers. But they were certain last year that PSG would get ADM too! I would argue that this is all coming out of PSG who are trying to unsettle the player into perhaps pushing for an exit. All speculation i know but as always, it does seem that the foreign press is making headlines for their British colleagues. Does seem amazing that there wasn't much ADM chat until the French papers started to make a big deal about it!?

Oneunited26

Seeing as he came out and said that he was staying last month, i don't think he'll come out and say it again.

That said, i just wrote on the transfer page though, that i wouldn't be absolutely gutted if he left, just simply because his best position in MF is packed full of talent now, who may not be as good as him, but do perhaps work for the team harder and are more consistent. If it was between Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin playing with Herrera or ADM, i think i'd pick Herrera most of the time; even though ADM is the better player.

If he goes, then i don't think he'll go kicking and screaming, but i'd imagine that he'll be disappointed not to have made a bigger impact while here. You can rest assured though that we'll get a significant wedge for letting him go though. Whether or not it's the fully £60m i'm not sure, but i do think it'll be £50m+. Just seen that PSG are apparently thinking £43m will get him...£6m less than Sterling went for, er don't think so!? Even with his relatively poor season last year, he still was better than Sterling (at least in assists but i'd say overall as well)

All i can say, to hopefully put some of your minds at rest. This is all stemming from the Le Parisien and L'Equipe newspapers. But they were certain last year that PSG would get ADM too! I would argue that this is all coming out of PSG who are trying to unsettle the player into perhaps pushing for an exit. All speculation i know but as always, it does seem that the foreign press is making headlines for their British colleagues. Does seem amazing that there wasn't much ADM chat until the French papers started to make a big deal about it!?
I find it hard press to say he is a better player than herrera, who is defiantly one of the best PL midfielders. If the team improves this season to come, he could easily be the best PL midfielder.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Di Maria definitely has a higher level/potential; but he isn't reaching that level consistently. No point having a player that plays 4/10 most games, and only reaches 8/10 for one every now and then. Would rather a consistent 7/10 player.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I find it hard press to say he is a better player than herrera, who is defiantly one of the best PL midfielders. If the team improves this season to come, he could easily be the best PL midfielder.
I’d argue that’s a bit of an exaggeration. He certainly could be one of the best midfielders in the PL given a while as he continues to develop, but he’s still a fair way away from that at the moment.

Di Maria was fairly average last season, but I’d still argue he’s rated more highly as a player than Herrera. Of course, another average season would potentially change that, though.

rotherham_red

His denial didn't stop rumors sadly and hasn't stopped PSG from targeting him. I just wanna precise again, I don't think he has got to say something even stronger in terms of denial. Just that part of me wishes he'd clearly tell Paris to feck off in crude and clear words.
Yeah, I understand your concern but there really is very little that he can do about it. He's on holiday at the moment, so it's unlikely he'll say something. When he returns he'll probably kill the rumours once and for all, but really, that statement of his at the Copa America was the one that confirmed it for me. He could so easily have made any potential move away into a story while he was there (as many others before him have done), away from the glare of Utd and their press people, but he was adamant and steadfast in his proclamations. That's about as close to a guarantee he'll be here next season as we're ever going to get, IMO

Godfather

Di Maria definitely has a higher level/potential; but he isn't reaching that level consistently. No point having a player that plays 4/10 most games, and only reaches 8/10 for one every now and then. Would rather a consistent 7/10 player.
Show me one winger apart from Ronaldo who is consistently good. Just one. Everyone I know has a lot of up and downs. Just that Di Maria's ups are way higher than other, probably getable players on his position.

Edit: I'll give you Robben in the last few years. But that's it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He already came out several times saying he will stay, not sure why this keeps coming up?
Same as the usual around here. People believe incorrect media stories, then proceed to discuss it here as if its worthy of discussion. Others then see the long discussion and feel there must be something to it, then join in. Rinse and repeat.

Mainoldo

I'll ask again, who would you want us to replace him with
He's far from irreplaceable.. We can go done 3 routes. Don't replace him and invest in an extra striker(which we should be looking at anyway). We would really still need another pacey winger or an inside forward with plenty of goals.

But as for names... Reus, De Bruyne (personal choice), Felipe Anderson.

rotherham_red

That too, literally hours after Blanc made those ill-advised comments about ADM and Utd. Honestly, it is so transparently obvious that it's a case of bandwagon jumping that I'm surprised so many people are overly concerned. Especially when ADM himself has been pretty resolute in his wish to stay.

Oneunited26

I’d argue that’s a bit of an exaggeration. He certainly could be one of the best midfielders in the PL given a while as he continues to develop, but he’s still a fair way away from that at the moment.

Di Maria was fairly average last season, but I’d still argue he’s rated more highly as a player than Herrera. Of course, another average season would potentially change that, though.
Is it? Herrera can score goals, pretty damn good at creating chances, great at keeping the ball pressing teams, and his passing ability always keeps the team ticking. And with the midfield around him and if the midfield gels, that alone could him look even better. If he has the likes of Schweinsteiger, schneiderlin, mata, depay around him, that alone is going to make him better. Better players, makes better players around each other play better, that is why he could be very effective. Di Maria played better for Madrid, because of the players around him, that could happen with herrera

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Show me one winger apart from Ronaldo who is consistently good. Just one. Everyone I know has a lot of up and downs. Just that Di Maria's ups are way higher than other, probably getable players on his position.

Edit: I'll give you Robben in the last few years. But that's it.
Reus, robben, Neymar..

The fact is he is a better player than he is showing currently, he needs to regain that form for us if he wants to play regularly. Nobody can blame LVG for dropping him as at times he did some daft things, especially the touching the ref against arsenal.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Reus, robben, Neymar..

The fact is he is a better player than he is showing currently, he needs to regain that form for us if he wants to play regularly. Nobody can blame LVG for dropping him as at times he did some daft things, especially the touching the ref against arsenal.
We're not getting Neymar or Robben. Reus, I'm actually surprised nobody is going all out to sign him. Maybe he has his heart set on Bayern

Sarni

We're not getting Neymar or Robben. Reus, I'm actually surprised nobody is going all out to sign him. Maybe he has his heart set on Bayern
He's just extended his deal at Dortmund, I very much doubt he will be moving to Bayern anytime soon.

van Persie

I would like to believe that as well. However, the thing I don't understand is how and why rumors keep flying around him even after he said himself that he wants to take the challenge of improving his game at United?
Well either way, you don't sell a player (at least you shouldn't) of di Maria's quality unless you have a plan on how to replace him. It would be a step back after a great start to the transfer window.

Sarni

Well either way, you don't sell a player (at least you shouldn't) of di Maria's quality unless you have a plan on how to replace him. It would be a step back after a great start to the transfer window.
We didn't use Di Maria at all towards the end of last season. If van Gaal's intention is for it to stay the same way then what's the point of keeping him?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Only a few players I'd take from PSG such as Verratti if not a big fee with Marquinhos/Rabiot.

Nevertheless, surely we have more faith in him than 1 season of adapting after splashing out that much to begin with. 13 assists in a shite season from him.

Ixion

We didn't use Di Maria at all towards the end of last season. If van Gaal's intention is for it to stay the same way then what's the point of keeping him?
Because he's 3 years younger than Young who was the reason he didn't play at the end of last season. Di Maria is longer term solution and is simply a better player than Young, he just needs time to settle, I think given Young's performances since he arrived at the club his end of season form last year was more the exception than the norm.

Sarni

Only a few players I'd take from PSG such as Verratti if not a big fee with Marquinhos/Rabiot.

Nevertheless, surely we have more faith in him than 1 season of adapting after splashing out that much to begin with. 13 assists in a shite season from him.
We absolutely do not need Veratti. It'd be a pointless signing, as good as he is.

van Persie

at all is exaggerating as he was a used substitute like every game, but at least for me di Maria definitely have a big role to play in this team next season if he stays.
He had a rocky first season here after a good start - from injuries to the the break-in into his house. Now he's been here for a year and had time to settle in. I expect big things from him next season. If he's still here I strongly doubt van Gaal will pick Young (or Depay) over di Maria on the wing to start the season. Our team will look a whole different than what he did last year.

Don't get me wrong, Young did a great job last season but I would assume that a big reason as to why he was picked to start over di Maria was down to us being rather shaky defensively and Young has alot more to offer there. With the signings we've made and hopefully a centre back as well that will not be necessary.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I agree that we will be playing 4-3-3 and that if Di Maria and Hernandez leave then those six players will be our attack and back-ups.

Personally I would be okay with that, I think Young proved everyone (myself included) wrong last season and having watched Wilson and Januzaj play for us since the under-18s I am a big fan of both.

That said there is clearly a case for buying if we sold both Di Maria and Hernandez and here I disagree with you that it would be hard to replace Di Maria.

I feel a bit of a broken record on this subject but he's simply not that great as a winger. Look at the facts, he spent six seasons in Europe as a winger in the first teams of Benfica and Madrid. He averaged less than seven goals a season in all competitions, goal scoring this poor is a big weakness in any attacker in a front three. Yes he is extremely creative but it's at a huge cost to possession. If you compare him to Mata last season (using Squawka) he created a bit less than one chance per 90 minutes more than Mata but his passing was 78%, Mata had 90%. And Mata scored at more than twice the rate.

Someone like Griezemann would not just be a replacement but a clear upgrade to me. As a winger in a front three he is not that far behind Di Maria in terms of pace and dribbling and is a substantially better goal scorer. And as a forward he would provide excellent cover and competition for Rooney. An expensive buy but I doubt more so than what PSG would pay for Di Maria.

Sorry this post is a little long, don't feel obligated to respond to all/any of it :)
I agree with this. He does give the ball away too often for a team that is focussed on possession. He needs space to run into which something he won't get much of in a possesion oriented team.

Sarni

at all is exaggerating as he was a used substitute like every game, but at least for me di Maria definitely have a big role to play in this team next season if he stays.
He had a rocky first season here after a good start - from injuries to the the break-in into his house. Now he's been here for a year and had time to settle in. I expect big things from him next season. If he's still here I strongly doubt van Gaal will pick Young (or Depay) over di Maria on the wing to start the season. Our team will look a whole different than what he did last year.

Don't get me wrong, Young did a great job last season but I would assume that a big reason as to why he was picked to start over di Maria was down to us being rather shaky defensively and Young has alot more to offer there even on the wing.
Yes, and he was diabolical in most of these appearances.

I've seen people say this a lot - next season he will be great, he will be crucial, he'll be Ballon d'Or. I've seen nothing to suggest that he's going to grow into the role and to be fair I've seldom seen anything from him on the wing to suggest that he's a £50m player - in midfield for Real Madrid in his final season yes, he looked like that player but he will never get another game in midfield for United.

I said this last season - we bought a £50m midfielder and a £20m winger in him. If we intend to use the latter part of his ability then we should let him go. There are better and more consistent wingers even at this club.

RetroStu

To be fair, we were incredibly 'safe' with our play towards the end of the season. It was obvious that Van Gaal didn't want to take any risks with our challenge for 4th place.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I think we should give him another year to prove himself.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
di Maria seems to split opinions quite a bit. We've just strengthened the base of our team, and that should give di Maria a bit more leeway with regards to possession. You don't get everything from players these days, apart from Messi and Ronaldo. Sometimes, you have to take the good and the bad, and di Maria is no different. If he were able to create at the level he does whilst maintaining possession percentages in the 90%, then we'd be talking about a player on the level of the two named previously. Whilst Young and Mata managed to attain possessions stats of around 80% and 90%, they contributed less in terms of goals.

Selling him would be outright stupid as there's nothing to show that he can't produce the goods, this coming season. He's 27, which is relatively young, and he's had a year to accustom to the league, country etc. This season he'll have an actual midfield and a functional team around him.

Godfather

Reus, robben, Neymar..

Reus? He's constantly injured and had a pretty underwhelming season himself. Neymar? I'll give you that but he's unavailable. And Robben is freaking old. No better options? I don't have any neither. I'd be a big mistake to sell him.

Status
Not open for further replies.