Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Ed

Hope he stays but rumours about immenet departure to PSG are coming in right and left.

My feeling is Di Maria wanted to go to PSG but they couldn't afford him so Real/Mendes forced him to sign for us. He tried to make the best of it but the season hasn't been great for him, the burglary must have really made feel bad about coming here and it started to affect his football which lead to him being benched and only wanting out even more. He knew that wasn't going to happen because United paid alot for him and he just signed a long term contract here. That is why he kept smile on and said he wanted to stay here (but didn't mean it).

Now PSG are free to spend alot of cash with FFP being less restrictive and they have a major hard on for Di Maria. LVG knows Di Maria isn't settled, he knows he wants out and he knows he wasn't the player he needed last season and that he might never become that player if he is unhappy here. So LVG might think that he can do without Di Maria and make the most out of PSGs interest to get our money's worth back for him.

A deal like Cavani + £25m or something will likley do the trick as we could use a striker like Cavani and that deal would be like more than £60m and would see us earn our money back on him.

I think Gaitan move might also fit in there as we could snap him up as a replacement for Di Maria. Would explain why his agents keep saying there are negotiations for Gaitan.

Again it is a feeling I have and I hope I'am wrong because I'd bloody love to see a prime class Di Maria operate together with that midfield we have now but this summer but I can't shake the feeling he is off.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Frankly if we are getting anywhere near the 45-50 million quoted for him, I'd let him leave. If he hasn't settled in Manchester then there is no point keeping him because his form won't improve if he isn't happy in the city.

This summer his stock is still relatively high enough where we can get a good price for him and we can not only free up his huge wages but use the money to reinvest in either another winger or a striker.

NoPace

Now that we've got a tackling midfield in:

Schweinsteiger-Herrera
--------Schneiderlin-----

we're better set up for him to give the ball away constantly while leading the Prem in assists. And Memphis is a speedy target who can get in behind.

So, I think conditions are better for him if he does stay.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
I hope United keep him. It's sad to see some United fans berating him. He is a class act and he only played one season.

MDFC Manager

I hope United keep him. It's sad to see some United fans berating him. He is a class act and he only played one season.
Funny. Another non United fan rates him high and wants us to keep him. Clubs like Bayern, PSG and Barca are apparently interested in him. Yet our own fans are eager to sell him off after just one season, when the team is crying out for more pace and creativity :houllier:

ricky-romeo

hope he stays. interesting to see how he will perform in his second season. we all know he did has a fantastic start with us but struggled soon after the house breaking issue.

no doubt about his ability. we are looking to build a quicker and skillful attacking force then di maria simply has to be part in it.

kundalini

Sell. Our goalscoring stats per 90 mins were almost exactly the same when he was on the pitch (29 goals) as when he wasn't, yet if anything, he tended to feature more against the weaker defences and less against the stronger. Time to try something different.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
7 has been our great winger jersey recently, no?
Robson was a number 7 and he was a central midfielder. Cantona was a striker.

I can't say we'd sell him after a year, when he can still improve especially with the fantastic midfield we now have. It was mainly form, and I don't see how if its the country he can't adapt to, how the French culture would be easier than ours. Its not the same as Spain or Argentina...at all.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If he leaves then he really isn't as strong psychologically as I thought or he just likes money. It makes no sense to leave this team at this particular moment and after just one season.

Ace of Spades

The biggest issue I have is, I hope we don't plan to sell him and replace him with someone like Gaitan.

If we do sell him, hope we go for a top player.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
The confidence of the new signings and the obvious intent of the club to challenge for trophies should help him regain his focus. He'll be back in the European spotlight and things will be better again.

Enigma_87

You know who
The only player that I'd trade AdM is Verratti from PSG, otherwise there is no point. I do think that he will come good and probably starting on the wing more often this year will help him.

vidic blood & sand

Last season the team was completely out of shape, and this meant playing Di Maria out of position, and there was very little creativity midfield. Herrera was in and out of the team, Mata was in and out of the team, Rooney played upfront and in midfield. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster until Carrick came back to the holding role, Rooney stayed upfront, and we started to get our passing game together.
This season I'm sure Di Maria will be in his natural wing position that he prefers. And with so much more pace and creativity in the side, we'll be much more balanced. The thing with Di Maria is he needs to get tough and be determined to win his place in the team. Not just assume he's good enough. I thought he just gave up towards the end of last season. Really terrible performances.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The only player that I'd trade AdM is Verratti from PSG, otherwise there is no point. I do think that he will come good and probably starting on the wing more often this year will help him.
Which will a) be overkill in midfield and b) leave us with not so great options out wide

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
The only way he's gone is if he wants to leave and we get a refuse too good to turn down. That said, i would never understand why a player in this part of his career with everything to prove would want to go to PSG.

NK86

Funny. Another non United fan rates him high and wants us to keep him. Clubs like Bayern, PSG and Barca are apparently interested in him. Yet our own fans are eager to sell him off after just one season, when the team is crying out for more pace and creativity :houllier:
Not to mention that these were the same people crying out for creativity last season and will moan some more this season but are willing to let go of our most creative player after just one poor season. Go figure.

NK86

Frankly if we are getting anywhere near the 45-50 million quoted for him, I'd let him leave. If he hasn't settled in Manchester then there is no point keeping him because his form won't improve if he isn't happy in the city.

This summer his stock is still relatively high enough where we can get a good price for him and we can not only free up his huge wages but use the money to reinvest in either another winger or a striker.
Who is available on the market who can be as good as Di Maria if he recaptures his form, which is not an unreasonable thought.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Keep him for another season, we could still get a massive fee for him next summer if he has to go then. Signing Schweinsteiger will help take some of the limelight away from him and he should be under abit less pressure perhaps. The team will be better aswell so should be easier for him to integrate into the team, hopefully.

MDFC Manager

Not to mention that these were the same people crying out for creativity last season and will moan some more this season but are willing to let go of our most creative player after just one poor season. Go figure.
There also seems to be an obsession to "recoup the fee paid/cut our losses". I don't know why we need to even think on those lines, even it's evident that there's plenty of money to spend regardless of player sales. Why not leave the worries of book balancing to the professionals at the club who get paid to do that?

RedDevil@84

There also seems to be an obsession to "recoup the fee paid/cut our losses". I don't know why we need to even think on those lines, even it's evident that there's plenty of money to spend regardless of player sales. Why not leave the worries of book balancing to the professionals at the club who get paid to do that?
IF the player badly wants to go, then we should definitely need to get more than what we paid for. There is no need to settle for anything less even if we have truck loads of GBP stacked in our lockers..

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm not saying trade for anyone … I'm just saying I hope it won't happen at all!
Me too. I think he'll come good. Had one season to adjust in the league, started off great, don't know why he faded in the second part and after the injury in the Autumn. I think it was rather psychological than anything else.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Robson was a number 7 and he was a central midfielder. Cantona was a striker.

I can't say we'd sell him after a year, when he can still improve especially with the fantastic midfield we now have. It was mainly form, and I don't see how if its the country he can't adapt to, how the French culture would be easier than ours. Its not the same as Spain or Argentina...at all.
That's why I said RECENTLY :)

fatboy

I want him to make it here, but not sure if he can. The 4-3-3 set up towards the end of the season when we had that good run seems to be the template that LvG is aspiring to, and Mata seems to be in the pole position for the wide right spot. Di Maria's best output came early in the season when tactically we were all over the place, but he was able to contribute due to his own individual brilliance. We probably won't want to revisit those days again.

I have a feeling LvG's stance on Di Maria is to try him out for another season. But if good enough offer comes in, and he's keen to move as well, we probably won't stand in his way. Seems like PSG might be that club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Exactly. We have absolutely no need to sell him. When on fire he's one of the most creative players in Europe. Why go into the new season without him? I'm not seeing alternatives either.

MDFC Manager

Exactly. We have absolutely no need to sell him. When on fire he's one of the most creative players in Europe. Why go into the new season without him? I'm not seeing alternatives either.
Indeed. No real alternatives plus no evident financial need to sell makes it a very easy decision to keep him.

IF the player badly wants to go, then we should definitely need to get more than what we paid for. There is no need to settle for anything less even if we have truck loads of GBP stacked in our lockers..
Well if we decide to sell, of course we should hold out for max money. But that's not my point here. My point is, there's no need to sell, simply cuz there's a chance we'll get even lesser money next season.

Of course the situation is different in case the player is pushing for a move, but I see zero evidence of that. Then again, that maybe because I'm not an expert mind/body language reader like some of our fans...

darioterios

Of course the situation is different in case the player is pushing for a move, but I see zero evidence of that. Then again, that maybe because I'm not an expert mind/body language reader like some of our fans...
just reminds me when Young scored late vs Newcastle last season, they captured an image of Di Maria not standing while others celebrated, while in fact he was just only a second later than others.

Shitstorm all over

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hope he stays but rumours about immenet departure to PSG are coming in right and left.

My feeling is Di Maria wanted to go to PSG but they couldn't afford him so Real/Mendes forced him to sign for us. He tried to make the best of it but the season hasn't been great for him, the burglary must have really made feel bad about coming here and it started to affect his football which lead to him being benched and only wanting out even more. He knew that wasn't going to happen because United paid alot for him and he just signed a long term contract here. That is why he kept smile on and said he wanted to stay here (but didn't mean it).

Now PSG are free to spend alot of cash with FFP being less restrictive and they have a major hard on for Di Maria. LVG knows Di Maria isn't settled, he knows he wants out and he knows he wasn't the player he needed last season and that he might never become that player if he is unhappy here. So LVG might think that he can do without Di Maria and make the most out of PSGs interest to get our money's worth back for him.

A deal like Cavani + £25m or something will likley do the trick as we could use a striker like Cavani and that deal would be like more than £60m and would see us earn our money back on him.

I think Gaitan move might also fit in there as we could snap him up as a replacement for Di Maria. Would explain why his agents keep saying there are negotiations for Gaitan.

Again it is a feeling I have and I hope I'am wrong because I'd bloody love to see a prime class Di Maria operate together with that midfield we have now but this summer but I can't shake the feeling he is off.
I hope not as he must be one of the most overrated players in Europe.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I am also not a Gaitan fan. Not good enough for us.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I hope not as he must be one of the most overrated players in Europe.
Is he even rated? His claim to fame is getting linked with United every transfer window.

--

On di Maria, it is tough to discern whether he wants to stay and fight or leave. He wanted to stay at Madrid last season and then his heart was set on PSG. In the end we were the best remaining option. He came here and performed like a house on fire, then got injured, lost his place & at times looked like he wasn't arsed when he came off the bench. In his recent interviews, he mentions that he wants to stay here but then goes on to add that he doesn't understand why he was benched.

Then there is the VG history where flair players, who take risks and in the process sometimes lose the ball fairly easily, aren't tolerated much. Plus, the whole burglary thing that keeps getting mentioned and his family not very settled in Manchester.

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves.

Last edited:

Siorac

The Di Maria for Cavani rumours are very scary. That would be beyond idiotic, marring a so far excellent transfer window.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I think he will excel this season, provided he is still here by then. It must have been hard for him last season, coming to a new club, which was undergoing transition, and a new country for a whopping £60m. Needless to say, we overpaid on that deal but it was understandable as circumstances dictated it - we were desperate without the CL, meaning lesser pull, and badly needed a star signing with our rather meh attacking players.

I've always viewed di Maria as a supporting act, albeit a class one at that, but never as your sole match-winner type. Obviously he will win points on his own at times and will contribute enormously throughout the season but he isn't a Robben/Bale/Ronaldo type of a goalscoring forward who will pop up every now and then with a screamer, winning you that drab game by that single piece of magic. Handing him the #7 shirt and making him the sole talisman of the team (a role which he has never played before iirc) and asking him to play in a fluctuating team with under performing players and a seriously malfunctioning attack meant that it was always going to be a huge burden for him. It's justified to place such exacting demands on a £60m player no doubt, but as I've stated earlier, we did overpay for him given the circumstances and it isn't his natural game to play as the 'sole match-winner', simply isn't his game imo.

Him coming to a new club undergoing heavy transition, with a new manager under the helm, sporting a drastically different philosophy and being asked to play a game that didn't really suit him imo, was always going to be a tough ask in hindsight. Not trying to dismiss criticisms of him and posters are perfectly entitled to do just that as some of his performances last season were truly horrendous - that Liverpool game for eg, when he came on as a sub was one of the worst cameos I've seen, misplacing just about every pass he tried :lol: but he still conjured up an assist somehow. Just think that he has the undeniable quality and our team next season should be the ideal platform for him to shine in.

With Rooney up top in his favoured role providing an ample target to work with, a fellow dribbler in Depay taking away some of the immense burden from di Maria as the sole flair player being asked to work his magic almost single-handedly and a powerful and skilled midfield capable of stamping its authority on the game and taking away some the creative burden and not asking di Maria to be the sole instigator at initiating attacks and upping the tempo, di Maria, in theory at least, has the perfect platform to shine in that supporting role at which he is brilliant in.

I might be a bit too easy on di Maria but you do tend to give some leeway to certain flair players, and the quality that di Maria has is there for all to see. We shouldn't lower our expectations of him by an means, but there have been a few reasons (or excuses perhaps) why di Maria wasn't at his best consistently last season and why he should be given another crack at it this season, at the very least. It would be a real shame if we were to sell him but I'd understand it if he wants to leave - doesn't exactly seem to be the case though, judging by his comments.

MDFC Manager

I think he will excel this season, provided he is still here by then. It must have been hard for him last season, coming to a new club, which was undergoing transition, and a new country for a whopping £60m. Needless to say, we overpaid on that deal but it was understandable as circumstances dictated it - we were desperate without the CL, meaning lesser pull, and badly needed a star signing with our rather meh attacking players.

I've always viewed di Maria as a supporting act, albeit a class one at that, but never as your sole match-winner type. Obviously he will win points on his own at times and will contribute enormously throughout the season but he isn't a Robben/Bale/Ronaldo type of a goalscoring forward who will pop up every now and then with a screamer, winning you that drab game by that single piece of magic. Handing him the #7 shirt and making him the sole talisman of the team (a role which he has never played before iirc) and asking him to play in a fluctuating team with under performing players and a seriously malfunctioning attack meant that it was always going to be a huge burden for him. It's justified to place such exacting demands on a £60m player no doubt, but as I've stated earlier, we did overpay for him given the circumstances and it isn't his natural game to play as the 'sole match-winner', simply isn't his game imo.

Him coming to a new club undergoing heavy transition, with a new manager under the helm, sporting a drastically different philosophy and being asked to play a game that didn't really suit him imo, was always going to be a tough ask in hindsight. Not trying to dismiss criticisms of him and posters are perfectly entitled to do just that as some of his performances last season were truly horrendous - that Liverpool game for eg, when he came on as a sub was one of the worst cameos I've seen, misplacing just about every pass he tried :lol: but he still conjured up an assist somehow. Just think that he has the undeniable quality and our team next season should be the ideal platform for him to shine in.

With Rooney up top in his favoured role providing an ample target to work with, a fellow dribbler in Depay taking away some of the immense burden from di Maria as the sole flair player being asked to work his magic almost single-handedly and a powerful and skilled midfield capable of stamping its authority on the game and taking away some the creative burden and not asking di Maria to be the sole instigator at initiating attacks and upping the tempo, di Maria, in theory at least, has the perfect platform to shine in that supporting role at which he is brilliant in.

I might be a bit too easy on di Maria but you do tend to give some leeway to certain flair players, and the quality that di Maria has is there for all to see. We shouldn't lower our expectations of him by an means, but there have been a few reasons (or excuses perhaps) why di Maria wasn't at his best consistently last season and why he should be given another crack at it this season, at the very least. It would be a real shame if we were to sell him but I'd understand it if he wants to leave - doesn't exactly seem to be the case though, judging by his comments.
Excellent post. Some of the points you make are really spot on, especially the one about him being part of the support cast, rather than the main man. I've no doubt in my mind that he'll perform a lot better when he's part of a settled team, with a solid midfield behind him and where the attacking responsibilities are shared. With the team taking shape now, thanks to the new recruits, I think he now has the platform he needs to shine. It's a shame he's missing out the tour

Status
Not open for further replies.