Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

humdinger

He certainly didn't look comfortable at times last year and his petulance really annoyed me, but I think the club will show patience with him and I'd be very surprised if he leaves. Assuming he stays, he needs to step up and show his class consistently - no excuse now with that midfield behind him - or else he will be out the door next summer without doubt.

NK86

Well Mark Ogden from Telegraph is now claiming that Di Maria might be nearing MUFC exit. He mentions in his article that Di Maria wants a Real return but not too excited about PSG. But, since Real don't seem too keen, then his best option to leave Manchester (which his wife and him aren't too pleased with) is PSG.

This is really sad to hear and has Mark Ogden ever been wrong??
Ogden, like all English journos this summer, has been absolutely clueless. He sure is not getting info from the club and I seriously doubt Di Maria or any of his entourage would be seeking him out to give exclusive details on what is going on with the family settling in.

Mister_Stubbs

Getting rid of this guy will undo all the good work we've done this window. With seemingly top players joining him, there won't be such an expectation/pressure on him to deliver.

m1y2

the only place he can play (after the new midfield arrivals) it seems will be on the wing where we already have cpt leader legend Ash Young so we should be trying to get as much money as possible...

I am not entirely against keeping him for another year, it's worth a try but he's inconsistent from the wing and the most frustrating player ever when out of form there. so I don't basically care if he stays or not, more game time for our youngsters Januzaj, Pereira...

Sparky Rhiwabon

I seem to be in the minority here but I wouldn't be too sad to see him go as long as we get a good price. Let's say we get £50m - we can reinvest that in a player that fits better into our system and doesn't sit on the bench for most of the time. There are no guarantees that he will recapture his form with us and his value may continue to slide.

ThanksBoss26

Only way he'll go is if he requests it and even then, we'd be after our money back from PSG or close to it. We'd then reinvest that in a replacement. If he genuinely wants out, I'd be tempted.

I'd like to see him give it another season but I'm relatively calm about this one either way.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
Well Mark Ogden from Telegraph is now claiming that Di Maria might be nearing MUFC exit. He mentions in his article that Di Maria wants a Real return but not too excited about PSG. But, since Real don't seem too keen, then his best option to leave Manchester (which his wife and him aren't too pleased with) is PSG.

This is really sad to hear and has Mark Ogden ever been wrong??
Herrera.

RM won't buy him back, especially since they won't pay what we did. I doubt PSG will pay that much either, they pay less wages than we do and still have to balance their books this year aswell. El-Khelaifi isn't a fan of overpaying, already said that he has to break even this year and will buy smart. We won't sell Di Maria for a loss (why should we? he's on a 4 year contract) so we'd most likely demand their whole budget to make a profit on Di Maria, since the Euro is so weak. Unless PSG only want one signing in Di Maria and he also made clear to our club he wants out (which he denied - multiple times) I can't see him leaving after a year. Nonsense story, Di Maria is staying. PSG never parttake in swap deals for players they want to keep either so that's not really an option.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Well the good thing is that Woody is a muppet and if ADM does leave then the money will be used to buy more players, so not too fussed about him staying/leaving.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
If he wants to go, recoup the money and then lump it all on Reus. Dortmund won't be able to turn down 40-50m.

darioterios

Mark Ogden:
Di Maria wants a Real return-> Of course he never wanted to leave there in the first place
Not too excited about PSG -> of course as he likes Real
Real don't seem too keen -> No way will they take him back
Leave Manchester (which his family ain't pleased with) -> of course everyone would be quite uncomfortable after such experience, especially considering his family not acquainted with Manchester
PSG as the choice -> no other place as a top club with enough money, PSG has escaped from punishment

an article based on some obvious truth with no groundbreaking stories. enough to mix and match to make a 1000-word piece

ogdenm@bullshit.com

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Most journos are clutching at straws to remain relevant these days. Sadly, our previously rated ones are not exempt.

0161_UNITED

I wouldn't miss him and I think PSG would be very generous to give us the opportunity to recoup most of his fee with the season he's had. He could well improve, yeah, but we already overpaid and to get all, or most of it, that back would be an offer we shouldn't turn down for me. He hasn't gelled with his team-mates, he seems to have a cold relationship with LVG, he hasn't settled in England and our system, and if he has another season like the last one (which is just as likely as him hitting the ground running), we'd be lucky to get north of 25 million for him.

I think we can do better if we re-invest that money. A versatile striker who can play on the wing (Griezman would be my pick) and a CB and we're looking absolutely superb.
I'm going to push my chips across the table and go with @Jev on this. There was just something wrong with DiMaria as last season progressed. The deterioration in his performances was startling. People can cite assist statistics all they want, but for me, the expectations were far higher than the end product. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not fitting in. I'd cash in now if we have targets in mind.

RetroStu

I have already said he deserves another season and it would be a total waste to sell him BUT there is always the chance that the player himself wants to leave, he didn't exactly look a happy player last season and he even completely stopped running with the ball and taking on players. If we got lucas Moura and £20mil, i would consider selling him but ONLY if its the player himself who wants to leave.
Personnally i think Depay and Moura on both wings would absolutely tear this league apart once settled in.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I hope any talk of Di Maria leaving is bullshit. He started brilliantly last season. But I think van Gaal lost a little bit of faith in him as he tried to find his bet 11 and best formation. I think the change of living in England affected his form, as well as the burglary. I also think a long season last year, culminating in getting to a world cup final took it's toll on him.

I think, and hope, that this year, with a full pre-season with us and more time for van Gaal to find out how best to use him he can excel for us this year. I think the midfield we have now will also help him reach the heights he did in his final year at Madrid. I really, really hope we keep him as I think we'll see the player we hoped we'd get when we broke the British transfer record last year.

MDFC Manager

Most journos are clutching at straws to remain relevant these days. Sadly, our previously rated ones are not exempt.
Funnily enough, bitter baldy Duncan Castles is probably the most reliable as far as any Mendes agent goes.

0161_UNITED

One more thing I thought of, as much as some like to quote DiMaria on saying he wants to stay and prove himself, I also recall a quote in the same article where he wanted to understand why LvG wasn't picking him. Now that, I thought, was more telling. Telling because the cold truth was that Ashley Young was more effective.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
If we don't at least make our money back on him, I'll be disappointed to say the least.

However, as a winger, I don't really rate Di Maria as others do so I wouldn't be averse to seeing him moved on. He's a brilliant central midfielder but he unfortunately doesn't fit nor suit Van Gaal's idea of a central midfielder and without recent recruitments in the middle of the park, we can afford to sell him and bring in a different more consistent winger.

Having said that, I'd be just as happy to see him play for us next season but only if his heart is still at United. No point in keeping a player whose mind is elsewhere and doesn't fully commit to the team.

Sam

The PSG links seem to be heating up, France Football seem convinced its happening.

If we do cash in now, I hope we have a replacement winger in mind.

Hed Zitin

These English journos know nothing. Bunch of John Snow's.

"Schneiderlin will have medical tomorrow." Three weeks of this, then he has a sneaky one right under their noses.

Bild, Di Marzio and some random Arsenal fan on twitter has beaten them all to the the punch.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Let's sell schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Depay next year and bring in veratti matuidi and castolo. Feck sake why would we just give up after a year. LVG approved of the signing, he will find a way to fit him and if by the end of this season it's not worked then time to move on

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Let's sell schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Depay next year and bring in veratti matuidi and castolo. Feck sake why would we just give up after a year. LVG approved of the signing, he will find a way to fit him and if by the end of this season it's not worked then time to move on
If he doesn't want to be here, then it's not us giving up on him. Why force a player to stay? There's an argument I guess to be made with De Gea as we know that he can perform. Why risk keeping ADM when he could easily have another mediocre season while not adapting when we could get 60 million?

If he goes, it's because ADM doesn't want to be here (like I've been guessing for months now) not because we give up on him.

gza the genius

I really hope he doesn't go. If he does we're going to need to find another replacement and I can't imagine we'll get one as good as he can be.

Like many other have said I'm excited to see what he can do with the other signings we've made this season. Hopefully bringing in Otamendi could help persuade him to stay a while longer.

RetroStu

Its like every time we take two steps forward, we take one step back.

ThanksBoss26

If he doesn't want to be here, then it's not us giving up on him. Why force a player to stay? There's an argument I guess to be made with De Gea as we know that he can perform. Why risk keeping ADM when he could easily have another mediocre season while not adapting when we could get 60 million?

If he goes, it's because ADM doesn't want to be here (like I've been guessing for months now) not because we give up on him.
Completely agree with this.

settembrini

I don't understand why people think we need a new winger if we sell him.

Mata was much superior as a winger to him last season. His pass and move style seemed far more in sync with the football that Van Gaal wants us to play and he offers us much more goal threat as well.

Is it that people just don't rate Mata or they would prefer him playing in another position? Van Gaal doesn't seem to fancy him centrally which is really the only other place I could see him being used.

0161_UNITED

Agreed. I think his performances, and body language (it's just my opinion - I'm not getting into with it any experts in this area) spoke volumes more than any "I want to stay and prove myself" quotes in the press.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
If we sell Di Maria I will be furious.

NK86

I seem to be in the minority here but I wouldn't be too sad to see him go as long as we get a good price. Let's say we get £50m - we can reinvest that in a player that fits better into our system and doesn't sit on the bench for most of the time. There are no guarantees that he will recapture his form with us and his value may continue to slide.
So we sell him for a loss after one poor season? Will you be suggesting the same gor his replacement if he does not fit in immediately?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This is the way I see it:

- PSG were in the hat for Di Maria last year, showing they have hadinterest, but he chose United.
- Di Maria struggled in his first season at United.
- PSG have lots of money and have had some FFP restrictions lifted, and could afford this player

The 'journalists' put this together and come up with a story saying he's off to PSG.

What has also happened:

- Di Maria has been quoted on numerous occasions saying that he wants to stay at United
- There has been mentions of the fact he always struggles in his first season, and he wants to make it better.
- He is already on huge wages at United, so the story about him wanting even more just screams bollocks.

This all just seems like English joruno bullshit to me. Even though I am not ruling it out, this is just the way I see it.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Herrera.

RM won't buy him back, especially since they won't pay what we did. I doubt PSG will pay that much either, they pay less wages than we do and still have to balance their books this year aswell. El-Khelaifi isn't a fan of overpaying, already said that he has to break even this year and will buy smart. We won't sell Di Maria for a loss (why should we? he's on a 4 year contract) so we'd most likely demand their whole budget to make a profit on Di Maria, since the Euro is so weak. Unless PSG only want one signing in Di Maria and he also made clear to our club he wants out (which he denied - multiple times) I can't see him leaving after a year. Nonsense story, Di Maria is staying. PSG never parttake in swap deals for players they want to keep either so that's not really an option.
If you're referring to this tweet from Ogden, then he wasn't really wrong, was he? Just unsure.

Unless there were other tweets from him that denied that Herrera was coming to United.

0161_UNITED

So we sell him for a loss after one poor season? Will you be suggesting the same gor his replacement if he does not fit in immediately?
For me 2 answers:
1) Yes sell him after 1 "poor" season during which his performances consistently decreased, but his reputation and game still demand a proper fee. He was getting worse, not better. He lost his spot to Ashley Young, for good reason. Another season like last and who will pick up those wages next Summer? What will the transfer fee be? United will be straddled with another Nani, another Anderson who they can't sell, but rather wait for the pixie dust to return.
2) His replacement is already here in Ashley Young. And we could go with a younger talent, who knows? Patience will be granted to younger players trying to ply their trade. DiMaria was no punt on a youngster. He's not Raheem Sterling. He was a record fee for an established world class star who failed to even come close to expectations, and people should accept how disappointing he really was last season.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Humaidovic knew the score 12 months early - Schweini. Top scout.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to our players but I just don't see how he's going to fit in to the side and actually make it here as a top player.

Mani

I don't see the point of selling Di Maria just after one season, LVG clearly knows that weakness was in MF and he has sorted it with quality signings now the attack is well supported.It's already too many new faces and still few might join us, I don't see LVG approving this to happen.

NK86

For me 2 answers:
1) Yes sell him after 1 "poor" season during which his performances consistently decreased, but his reputation and game still demand a proper fee. He was getting worse, not better. He lost his spot to Ashley Young, for good reason. Another season like last and who will pick up those wages next Summer? What will the transfer fee be? United will be straddled with another Nani, another Anderson who they can't sell, but rather wait for the pixie dust to return.
2) His replacement is already here in Ashley Young. And we could go with a younger talent, who knows? Patience will be granted to younger players trying to ply their trade. DiMaria was no punt on a youngster. He's not Raheem Sterling. He was a record fee for an established world class star who failed to even come close to expectations, and people should accept how disappointing he really was last season.
You do realize the injuries and other problems which Di Maria faced when he joined and it is not like he did not show anything. He started like a house on fire but then injuries and the shock of his getting broken into when he was there with his family played a big part in his poor form.

Towards the end Young was chosen because we didn't want to take any chances. It is not like Young set the house of fire. Di Maria's stats were better than Young despite playing far less games. If that is the level we wanted to maintain then what is the point in reinforcing the midfield with so many class options.

Who is available on the market who we can realistically buy to replace Di Maria? If we persist with Young we would be foolish. The money is fine but unless we get someone like Bale with the same sort of money, it makes no sense to let Di Maria go after one bad season.

Jev

I don't understand why people think we need a new winger if we sell him.

Mata was much superior as a winger to him last season. His pass and move style seemed far more in sync with the football that Van Gaal wants us to play and he offers us much more goal threat as well.

Is it that people just don't rate Mata or they would prefer him playing in another position? Van Gaal doesn't seem to fancy him centrally which is really the only other place I could see him being used.
Purely in terms of numbers, we're a bit light. Valencia can't be considered a winger anymore, in my opinion at least, and I suspect (and hope) that we'll loan out Januzaj. That leaves Young, Depay and Mata for two positions, and two of them (Mata and Depay) are also vying for other positions in the line-up. That's a bit light. Like I said, a versatile winger/striker such as Griezman would be perfect. Fill up the numbers on the wings, add quality and solve the striker deficiency without having to push Rooney to the bench or spend a fortune on a sub.

Ekeke

I think we should keep him and he can come good next season, but his attitude on the pitch in the final months of the season will have given LVG plenty of food for thought because he couldnt have tried any less

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button

He said he wants to stay numerous times. Does he have to say it every day ?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He said he wants to stay numerous times. Does he have to say it every day ?
And yet here we are.

Actions speaks louder than words - do you think he genuinely showed as if he cared/passionate this season?
I for one didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.