Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

van Persie

Yes, and he was diabolical in most of these appearances.

I've seen people say this a lot - next season he will be great, he will be crucial, he'll be Ballon d'Or. I've seen nothing to suggest that he's going to grow into the role and to be fair I've seldom seen anything from him on the wing to suggest that he's a £50m player - in midfield for Real Madrid in his final season yes, he looked like that player but he will never get another game in midfield for United.

I said this last season - we bought a £50m midfielder and a £20m winger in him. If we intend to use the latter part of his ability then we should let him go. There are better and more consistent wingers even at this club.
I've seen plenty to suggest that he is having followed him since he played for Argentina in the Olympics 2008. He's definitely worth a whole lot more as a winger than £20M. What is it that you don't like with him on the wing? He's got the pace, he can run at defenders, he's a great passer and crosser. Very few players can create chances like he does. He's a hard worker too. For me he's pretty much the complete winger.

mu4c_20le

Really thought he can be class for us as a winger or wide forward especially with the midfield sorted now. But if the right fee comes in I would definitely consider it. He just doesn't seem like the sort of player who would thrive in the BPL. It's Januzaj and Pereira's time.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The mentioned fee tells me it's mainly made up. It's obviously what PSG want to happen, but why should United and Woodward demand a world record fee for a keeper in his last year on one hand, but on the other let our record signing which we only bought last year go for much less than what we paid?
If the reported figures were the same we paid for him I would believe it more. There have been at least 3 top teams reportedly interested in him so his value can't have sunk considering this.
We'll keep him imo. And we definitely should.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Reus? He's constantly injured and had a pretty underwhelming season himself. Neymar? I'll give you that but he's unavailable. And Robben is freaking old. No better options? I don't have any neither. I'd be a big mistake to sell him.
I'm not saying sign them, you asked for consistent wingers. Yes Reus had a bad year/luck with injuries but when fit is very consistent, and I think he would suit England well.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I find that a little weird that so many people are finding excuses for him. He’s a EPL record signing coming after a season of truly world class performances, yet he seems unable to complete a simple pass at times.

He’s been a massive disappointed and I’d sell him if we had a chance to get a proper winger. I don’t think that’s the case this season so I guess he won’t be sold, but I don’t see him staying here for long.

Mani

LVG sees Robben in Di Maria,right now he got less defensive duties than last season, an attacking free roll from right.He was lackluster at the end of the season but we need to understand its minor lack of form were he didn't have enough chances with our team lacked balance. Yes we had bought him for silly money and now its over and no point in thinking on it also we need to see is there an quality replacement left to fill his spot if at all he go, my answer would be no.
And i don't see him selling Di Maria after one season.Right now we had secured/balanced MF for our attackers to shine,just imagine a break followed by counter attack with our 3 attackers(Depay/Rooney/DiMaria) running at opponent.:drool:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Why would Di Maria want to stay, though?
Last year he was a bench warmer.
Now we have Bastian, Morgan, Depay, he has to assume that he has no chance to ever start a game for us.
I think in this instance Di Maria needs to do what's right for him.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Now we have Bastian, Morgan, Depay, he has to assume that he has no chance to ever start a game for us.
To prove to everyone what a good player he is and that his last season at Madrid wasn't a one-off (which it probably was)?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Last year when he came off the bench, he was poor. He needs to grasp the opportunities that come his way. Doing it in a lesser league don't really interest many. The speculation persists because PSG think that we're soft. Going from Madrid - United ....PSG is a massive drop.

Blackwidow

The mentioned fee tells me it's mainly made up. It's obviously what PSG want to happen, but why should United and Woodward demand a world record fee for a keeper in his last year on one hand, but on the other let our record signing which we only bought last year go for much less than what we paid?
If the reported figures were the same we paid for him I would believe it more. There have been at least 3 top teams reportedly interested in him so his value can't have sunk considering this.
We'll keep him imo. And we definitely should.
Because you have bought di Maria a lot over value. Yes, he had that very good season at Real Madrid. But - he has not been very consistent throughout his career. Because of that one world class season (or actually some months because the spanish guys of transfermarket had him downgraded in the winter of this season so his autumn probably was not that good either) he transferred for superstar fee and wages.

The question is if LVG and Woodward believe that in the coming years he will have the class in this system to deliver value for that what he earns - he is a top earner in your team and has superstar wages. If not it is better to sell right now when you still only loose an amount X and not next year when nobody is willing anymore to pay a high transfer sum - and more important - to pay him attractive wages. And without that you have a player on the payrole until 2019 (?) without getting a decent pay back.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Thought when we signed him last year we'd signed one of the best players in the world.

Not fussed in the slightest if he leaves now. Based on only his United appearances.... He's not good enough.

rotherham_red

I think he will potentially thrive in a wing role this season, if he stays. Our team-play was often pretty tumescent last season with no real incision, which doesn't suit ADM at all. With the addition of the threat of Depay in behind and a much stronger midfield base, we should see ADM having a lot more freedom to do as he wants. I really think he could be the gamechanger this season and our counterattacks would be exhilarating to say the least... A front three of Mata/Depay-Rooney-ADM with a settled midfield behind them is probably only slightly behind Chelsea's in the league and definitely in the same bracket as Arsenal's, if not better.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Because you have bought di Maria a lot over value. Yes, he had that very good season at Real Madrid. But - he has not been very consistent throughout his career. Because of that one world class season (or actually some months because the spanish guys of transfermarket had him downgraded in the winter of this season so his autumn probably was not that good either) he transferred for superstar fee and wages.

The question is if LVG and Woodward believe that in the coming years he will have the class in this system to deliver value for that what he earns - he is a top earner in your team and has superstar wages. If not it is better to sell right now when you still only loose an amount X and not next year when nobody is willing anymore to pay a high transfer sum - and more important - to pay him attractive wages. And without that you have a player on the payrole until 2019 (?) without getting a decent pay back.
It's PSG we are talking about, they paid 50 mil for David Luiz and have their FFP sanctions lifted.
I don't care what his true value is, the fact is that we paid 60 mil for him. And with "we" I mean LvG/Woodward. It's a lot of money and it reflects badly on them to just throw that much money away if they can't even fit the player in our team.

So LvG / Woodward either make him fit into it or make sure we get our money back.

On another note if he leaves we'll only have Mata and Memphis as our creative outlet, let alone providing both, pace and unpredictabilty and I can't think of anyone better than Di Maria who could replace him. That's not enough creativity to get us seriously competing on all fronts and that's exactly what we have to do considering the players we have and the money spent.
If LvG sells him he better make sure we don't look as clueless as we looked several times last season. We have a strong midfield now, so irrespective of where LvG players Di Maria (wing or midfield), he should stop being overly cautious and give Di Maria confidence and allow him to express himself. Noway a player of his quality gives the ball away as often as he did last season unless he is playing with fear. That's LvG's job to get it right.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He wasn't a bench warmer the first half of the season. He started really well. I wouldnt really judge any player on what we did last season. Everything was new. The formation, the staff, new players, the system, the 'philosophy' etc. It was hard to adjust to a new formation every week. This coupled with the fact that he had a few injury problems and Young was in very good form on one wing and Mata on the other made it hard for him to break into the side.

Also he is a world class player. Do you honestly think his attitude is "Oh I can't get a game here so Im going to leave"? No he is going to want to prove himself even more now to show why he needs to start. He isn't directly going to be competing with Basti and Schneiderlin. We didn't have enough CM options so we used him there. I think he will deployed as a winger this season if he stays.

This year is going to be different. We have a much stronger team with much more pace in attack. He will get more chances since we will be playing more games. The whole attitude and atmosphere in the dressing room is going to be different.

JoaquinJoaquin

Thought when we signed him last year we'd signed one of the best players in the world.

Not fussed in the slightest if he leaves now. Based on only his United appearances.... He's not good enough.
12 months and it's came to that? Of course he is good enough, he showed in his 2-3 months that he is more then capable of dominating in the Premier League. Obviously a number if factors played a part in his poor showing 2nd half of the season but to write him off already and say he isn't good enough is ridiculous IMO.

If we sell him for the £43million reported then we really are a charity when it comes to selling players.

Utd7

We shouldn't even entertain selling Di Maria unless he blatantly demanded a transfer, period. You don't just willingly sell genuine World Class talent on a whim because they had a difficult season acclimating to a new team, league, country and culture.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
I'm not that bothered either way if we keep or sell him, as long as we don't get ripped off like we usually do. Also don't think we would need to bring in anyone else if he did go, we have the players already

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
12 months and it's came to that? Of course he is good enough, he showed in his 2-3 months that he is more then capable of dominating in the Premier League. Obviously a number if factors played a part in his poor showing 2nd half of the season but to write him off already and say he isn't good enough is ridiculous IMO.

If we sell him for the £43million reported then we really are a charity when it comes to selling players.
Spot on. Regardless of whether we paid over the odds last year, if we make a 15m loss in one year it'll be ridiculous. It looks like they really want him so make them stump up the full price. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and we manage to hold onto him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Because he's better than anyone we have out wide. He's played at a very high level for Real Madrid. In terms of his ability, he shouldn't have anything to worry about. He just has to get his shit back in order and play like he did for Madrid or for Argentina at the copa Americas, I.e his normal level. Plus if he does that gets to play in a far better league. From his own perspective, unless he's scared of the premier league, I don't see why he should not want to stay.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why would he do anything BUT stay ? He's under contract and in LvG's plans for an assault on the league and CL.

stepic

If the ones who already want to get rid were in charge you'd have sold Vidic and Evra too. The impatience of some people is unbelievable.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We don't have to sell, we don't need money and player said he wants to improve in United which was his quote if i'm not mistaken.

Didn't get on tour because of a break after Copa America and injury which fuels the speculation even more. Fully understandable.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think selling AdM would be a bad deal for him and us as well. It would look like he did not cut it in the PL and we have become a club not willing to give a player (even a proven world class one) time to settle.

Based on our signing so far he might be looking forward to the new season and the chance to win trophies.

starman

Like how other have said, we dont need to sell, especially in taking a 17m loss.

We seem to be holding out on over 30m for De Gea, yet at the same time are willing to let Di Maria leave to at a loss, with 4 years left on his contract, makes no sense at all. The guy is still a world class player, who has only played half a season.

Enigma_87

You know who
As already said he is better than what we have out wide as of now. We sold Nani, RvP and let Falcao go, that's 3 options that are definitely gone for the next season. Most probably Chicharito will be gone as well.

Besides, I can't see how PSG can afford his wages. The taxes in France are enormous, the euro is quite low now compared to the pound.

And to take a paycut to go to PSG seems even more extraordinary.

0161_UNITED

Yes, and he was diabolical in most of these appearances.

I've seen people say this a lot - next season he will be great, he will be crucial, he'll be Ballon d'Or. I've seen nothing to suggest that he's going to grow into the role and to be fair I've seldom seen anything from him on the wing to suggest that he's a £50m player - in midfield for Real Madrid in his final season yes, he looked like that player but he will never get another game in midfield for United.

I said this last season - we bought a £50m midfielder and a £20m winger in him. If we intend to use the latter part of his ability then we should let him go. There are better and more consistent wingers even at this club.
Spot on, IMO. If he can't reclaim his Real Madrid form very quickly in his best position, and he has some very serious competition now at United for those midfield positions, I too struggle to see how he would be anything other than one of the most expensive substitutes in world football.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Spot on, IMO. If he can't reclaim his Real Madrid form very quickly in his best position, and he has some very serious competition now at United for those midfield positions, I too struggle to see how he would be anything other than one of the most expensive substitutes in world football.
Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Schneiderlin and even Fellaini, Mata and Blind are more suited to our system and fit what van Gaal needs from his midfielders a lot better than Di Maria. He isn't really a possession based player, he can beat his man and carry the ball forward, he is creative but he will lose the ball a lot inevitably because of how adventurous in possession he is. Our midfield is overstocked with players as it is and we have the exact balance we need there.

I just don't see a world class winger in him either. I think Depay could develop into a better player out wide.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
As already said he is better than what we have out wide as of now. We sold Nani, RvP and let Falcao go, that's 3 options that are definitely gone for the next season. Most probably Chicharito will be gone as well.

Besides, I can't see how PSG can afford his wages. The taxes in France are enormous, the euro is quite low now compared to the pound.

And to take a paycut to go to PSG seems even more extraordinary.
Nani, van Persie and Falcao did not get into his way last season - one was at Sporting and two were playing in a completely different position. It was Young and Mata who kept him out of the side and both are still here plus we have brought Depay as competition to him.

0161_UNITED

Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, Schneiderlin and even Fellaini, Mata and Blind are more suited to our system and fit what van Gaal needs from his midfielders a lot better than Di Maria. He isn't really a possession based player, he can beat his man and carry the ball forward, he is creative but he will lose the ball a lot inevitably because of how adventurous in possession he is. Our midfield is overstocked with players as it is and we have the exact balance we need there.

I just don't see a world class winger in him either. I think Depay could develop into a better player out wide.
Can't agree more, @Sarni. Spot on.

mancan92

Some of the most ridiculous posting going on in this thread. Di Maria is our out right best attacking player. Yet people would rather isolate him, take a price cut and buy hugely inferior players?

0161_UNITED

Some of the most ridiculous posting going on in this thread. Di Maria is our out right best attacking player. Yet people would rather isolate him, take a price cut and buy hugely inferior players?
He's our best outright attacking player based on his first few performances? Or based on his reputation and how he performed for Madrid, or Argentina? United last season played the best football, and had the best results, with him firmly not involved, except for substitute appearances - some of which he was a liability or as Sarni said, downright diabolical in. Also, who said they'd sell him at a significant loss, or replace him with inferior players? The truth is, based on last season, he was outperformed by Ashley Young and Fellaini in the positions some on here think he'll flourish as a winger or a 10, and in his best position in midfield, he's got serious competition now from Carrick, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, and Perriera. It's more than fair to question how he would fit, if at all, and even more fair to consider that LvG had little to no faith in him as "our best attacking option".

mancan92

He's our best outright attacking player based on his first few performances? Or based on his reputation and how he performed for Madrid, or Argentina? United last season played the best football, and had the best results, with him firmly not involved, except for substitute appearances - some of which he was a liability or as Sarni said, downright diabolical in. Also, who said they'd sell him at a significant loss, or replace him with inferior players? The truth is, based on last season, he was outperformed by Ashley Young and Fellaini in the positions some on here think he'll flourish as a winger or a 10, and in his best position in midfield, he's got serious competition now from Carrick, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Herrera, and Perriera. It's more than fair to question how he would fit, if at all, and even more fair to consider that LvG had little to no faith in him as "our best attacking option".
Based on his career, based on the fact he was the best player in the league in the first 10 games before his injury. Ashley youngs general performances were better yet Di Maria still was more productive. He still played a huge role in producing assists for the team. Taking any loss would be stupid, let alone a 10m one. I just don't see how after one season people are already throwing in the towel. Anyway in terms of competition only herrara and pereira are his competition and he's better than both so don't get your point.

0161_UNITED

Based on his career, based on the fact he was the best player in the league in the first 10 games before his injury. Ashley youngs general performances were better yet Di Maria still was more productive. He still played a huge role in producing assists for the team. Taking any loss would be stupid, let alone a 10m one. I just don't see how after one season people are already throwing in the towel. Anyway in terms of competition only herrara and pereira are his competition and he's better than both so don't get your point.
My point is only that he could still come good, and if he stays I certainly hope he reaches those heights. But looking at how he finished the season, I can't see how LvG can trust him. I disagree and think LvG has just purchased his replacements, in addition to the players we already had in the side. For a player that costs that much, on his wages, he just shouldn't get another shot to see if things work out. They didn't. He wasn't bought to be a punt or a gamble. He was purchased to be a superstar, not someone who'll take a season or two to sorts things out. He's the record signing for any English team Christ's sake.

Ananke

He will come good this year. With this squad now...he needs to stay.

The armed robbery I think unsettled him big time.

It annoys me that people talk about how bad a season he had. At the start he completely energized our team. No way will we be looking to sell he needs to settle. But he (his family) may be looking to move.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Agree with what you say, but a tricky first season for him, I'm hoping he's firmly in LVG's plans though.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
My point is only that he could still come good, and if he stays I certainly hope he reaches those heights. But looking at how he finished the season, I can't see how LvG can trust him. I disagree and think LvG has just purchased his replacements, in addition to the players we already had in the side. For a player that costs that much, on his wages, he just shouldn't get another shot to see if things work out. They didn't. He wasn't bought to be a punt or a gamble. He was purchased to be a superstar, not someone who'll take a season or two to sorts things out. He's the record signing for any English team Christ's sake.
Only potentially Memphis plays in Di Maria his position. Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger would play at 6/8, if Di Maria ever were to play in the MF again (which I personally doubt is going to happen) that would be as 10. He most likely will play as a right winger, at that position he's much better in a van Gaal team than he would be at 10. If Di Maria were to play in the midfield again he'd have to adapt his style of play massively and not use his strenghts, on the wings this won't be the case. RM their midfield was perfect for his strenghts, ours isn't. He'd be mainly passing the ball, keeping possesion and not take many defenders on in our midfield.

Besides, I don't think there is a team in the world right now who could afford Di Maria or is daft enough to pay our price. PSG their penalties for breaching FFP have been cleared but they still are limitted and have to break even this year, they can't afford to pay 85m+ euro (we won't sell for a loss, why should we?) on him and offer him wages higher than Cavani, Zlatan and Thiago Silva. That would mean all their stars want an upgraded contract and they'll be playing catch up again to balance their books. Bayern don't spend that much on a player and RM won't buy him back.

I would be VERY surprised to see Di Maria leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.