İlkay Gündoğan Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Anyone see him in the derby against Bayern yesterday? The geniuses at Goal.com tagged him flop of the match but gave him the joint best score for a player on his team (6.5) and wrote this. :confused:

Brighter than most of his attacking teammates. The highly rated midfielder willingly engaged his opponents and was precise with the ball at his feet. Had a good chance to pull a goal back late, but his effort was saved.

BaldwinLegend

That tor kristian karlsen chap was saying the other day that he is forever surprised how the premier league clubs almost ignore the bundesliga as a source of talent despite it being full of quality young players available at prices even cheaper than in France.
The French league has always been seen as a great environment to prepare for the Premier League - it's far easier to find quick and athletic types who are ready to fit in quickly in England in Ligue 1 than in the Bundesliga.

I think a lot of the younger German players you see coming through would need more time to adjust and be ready for the speed and physicality over here.

Jaap

I think a lot of the younger German players you see coming through would need more time to adjust and be ready for the speed and physicality over here.
I think, this is one big myth - there are plenty of young players who could very well adapt to the physicality in the Premier League. Ever since the youth system was changed over here a few years ago, more concentration was put into the speed and agility of young players, i.e. as seen in the World Cup.

It's a shame we haven't had many German players in the Premier League, and, especially, at United, in recent years.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Cut Anderson + Nani out and the list is pretty much there.

Anderson was highly regarded in his Porto days, also played in the CL and did bloody well too, was surprised we were able to capture him.

Nani was highly praised and we were linked with him the whole season... No surprise there but after being linked with us, fair saying that he wasn't unknown anymore...
I knew about both Nani and Anderson, but had no clue over the rest.

Drifter

American
Midfielder giddy after United link

Nuremburg's Ilkay Gundogan admits it's not easy to focus on his football after being linked to Manchester United.

The Germany Under-21 international was watched by scouts from all the top clubs last night as he helped the Germans defeat Stuart Pearce's England Under-21s in Wiesbaden
United have tracked the 20-year-old this season and would have gained a useful insight last night as he was in direct opposition to another top prospect - Everton's Jack Rodwell.
Although the midfielder does not deny he would like to move on to one of Europe's big clubs eventually, Gundogan believes his immediate future will be best served at Nurnberg.

"I admit it is not that easy to play down seeing yourself linked to Manchester United in newspapers, but I feel I am doing OK with that," he told Sportinformationsdienst.
"I am focused on doing well in my games for Nurnberg and do not give that much away on which club is actually looking at me.
"Playing at Nurnberg is a good thing for me to develop further as a player.
"But of course, playing for Manchester United would be a great thing to do one day."

Head well and truly turned.

enghuei

Cheats at Tetris
Would love to have him here at United. While there are whispers about the possibility of signing Nuri Sahin, I'll rather have him here at United and let Sahin go back to Dortmund.

He's one of the reasons why Dortmund were able to retain the title after Sahin left.

RedRover

Would love to have him here at United. While there are whispers about the possibility of signing Nuri Sahin, I'll rather have him here at United and let Sahin go back to Dortmund.

He's one of the reasons why Dortmund were able to retain the title after Sahin left.
Funny how flavour of the month changes - last year (according to some) Sahin was the key everything good that Dortmund did - now, after an injury filled season and Madrid the next wonderkid even better.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Highly regarded redcafe stalwart Scholesy once said of him, "If he's the new Özil then he can't be that good, if he was the new Marin however...".
:lol: Highly regarded stalwart Scholesy. Did he post it himself after he was banned?

Baxter

Funny how flavour of the month changes - last year (according to some) Sahin was the key everything good that Dortmund did - now, after an injury filled season and Madrid the next wonderkid even better.
I'd have Sahin every day of the week. Being pretty rubbish at Madrid doesn't mean he wouldn't be good here. Sneijder and Robben stand out. I'd have Gundogan as well. The 3 or 4 times I've seen him, he has really impressed me particularly his calmness and composure at a young age. Unfortunately, there isn't a hope of us getting him.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He looks pretty strong for his size. He is impressive. Lets just buy Dortmund and Bilbao's midfield players and be done with it.

Dortmund: Kagawa, Götze, Gundogan
Bilbao: Martinez, Munian

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I remember this fellow. I thought he was the best player on the pitch in the German Cup final.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
No idea why you would choose Gundogan over Sahin as he simply hasn't reached that level yet, but I do really like him. Technically very good, great passing range, mobile and a good ball carrier and comfortable high up the pitch in terms of forcing the play and finding attackers in good areas.

mo0

made Germany squad. born to Turkish parents, turned down request to play for them earlier this year.

lot of those Turky Germans about. U17 captain last year is one and he's another bright spark.

enghuei

Cheats at Tetris
No idea why you would choose Gundogan over Sahin as he simply hasn't reached that level yet, but I do really like him. Technically very good, great passing range, mobile and a good ball carrier and comfortable high up the pitch in terms of forcing the play and finding attackers in good areas.
Simple, cos I have not seen Nuri Sahin played.

Whereas a few times that I have seen Dortmund in action (Admittedly less than 5 times), Gundogan was always impressive.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I thought he was class tonight against City. I watched Dortmund for a good few months last season because of my admiration for Kagawa, and it wasn't until someone pointed Gundogan out while in the newbs I noticed his quality. Seems Dortmund have found a fantastic replacement after Sahin's departure to Madrid.

Glad Fergie was there tonight :drool:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Toure must think hes wearing a Gundogan shape wig, because he just couldn't get him out of his hair all night. That was until Zabaleta basically flying kneed him into the back :rolleyes:

We need a midfielder like him; good on the ball and under pressure, works his socks off and is good at tackling. If we were to spend big on a CM i think he should be up there on the shortlist.

Baxter

Toure must think hes wearing a Gundogan shape wig, because he just couldn't get him out of his hair all night. That was until Zabaleta basically flying kneed him into the back :rolleyes:

We need a midfielder like him; good on the ball and under pressure, works his socks off and is good at tackling. If we were to spend big on a CM i think he should be up there on the shortlist.
Which wasn't even given as a foul :lol:

I hope Fergie has watched him and taken notice. Terrific.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I was thought that Chief liked bender ;)

Baxter

Play in a 2? Bulk? Stoke Tuesdays?
Not sure about the midfield two (don't see any reason why he couldn't), but he bossed Toure and made him look pretty average. He is a classy midfielder going forward, but he works tremendously hard defensively and doesn't shirk a tackle.

Scrumpet

There are no words
He essentially was playing in a midfield two with Bender, or at least he was playing in the same thing that we use and call a midfield two.

Baxter

He essentially was playing in a midfield two with Bender, or at least he was playing in the same thing that we use and call a midfield two.
Good point. Gotze, Reus and Blaszczykowski were all roaming in front.

Ekeke

How do Dortmund do it? It seems to be quality youngster after quality youngster with them.
Some good scouting in the case of Kagawa and the like, some good players through the academy like Goetze and Bender but then theres players like Gundogan and Reus who they picked up from other teams in the league. Perhaps people should pay more attention to the German clubs other than Bayern and Dortmund and then they'd be aware of these talents early enough to take them.

NoLogo

Good point. Gotze, Reus and Blaszczykowski were all roaming in front.
Yeah but they also help much more in defense then any of our players does, apart from Valencia maybe.

Another thing is they are always involved in defending because they close down opponents much more aggressively then we do, okay that's not hard but you know if you put pressure on opponents their passes lose accuracy and it's easier for the midfielders and defenders to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.