İlkay Gündoğan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's far too early to write him off, he's played half a season after a serious injury, he's not going to immediately return to his best. At around £20mil I still think it's worth the risk, even if he never improves on the player he is now, it would still be a shrewd purchase in my books, it just all comes down to wages.
At age of 24 he got solid amount of time to make it plus that injury and one year left in contract should downgrade the price substantially.

RedorDead21

Just getting a proper CDM like Schneiderlin in the side would be transformative enough...since Keane left we haven't had anyone who could effectively screen the back 4 and enable the other midfielders to be creative .
Gundogan v 2015 may not be as effective as Gundogan v 2013 but he is exactly what he need in the CM.
I disagree Carrick screens as a DM better than Schneiderlin. Wanyama does as much for the Saints.

RedorDead21

It's far too early to write him off, he's played half a season after a serious injury, he's not going to immediately return to his best. At around £20mil I still think it's worth the risk, even if he never improves on the player he is now, it would still be a shrewd purchase in my books, it just all comes down to wages.
Who cares about wages seriously?? He wont be a big earner at the club!

ravi2

I disagree Carrick screens as a DM better than Schneiderlin. Wanyama does as much for the Saints.
We will have to disagree then.
I am of the opinion that Schneiderlin is a better cdm than carrick and is exactly what we need in the midfield.

RedorDead21

We will have to disagree then.
I am of the opinion that Schneiderlin is a better cdm than carrick and is exactly what we need in the midfield.
Really? Carrick who when fit transforms our team. Is prob the best deep lying playmaker in the PL (defo for me). Was at the heart of title and CL teams which got to several finals against Barca the greatest team ever perhaps but beat quality getting there. I disagree completely. Just listen to Alonso talking about carrick. He's pure rolls royce for that position.

RedorDead21

The shareholders care for one, I'd imagine.
Oh come off it add the wages of several fringe players and you have Gundogans wages. If we lose Nani thats prob most of it. Shareholders couldnt give a rats arse about an average wage earner at United!!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Oh come off it add the wages of several fringe players and you have Gundogans wages. If we lose Nani thats prob most of it. Shareholders couldnt give a rats arse about an average wage earner at United!!
But if you had your mentality when it came to every salary negotiation then it quickly escalates. Player's demand wages based on what their peers are earning.

RedorDead21

But if you had your mentality when it came to every salary negotiation then it quickly escalates. Player's demand wages based on what their peers are earning.
I get your point but its nit picking pal.

Ryan7

Not only have The Daily Express published the most misleading article we've ever seen, Dortmund general manager Michael Zorc didn't even say what it's been claimed he said and certainly not in the context presented. Zorc was speaking to German magazine Kicker about reducing the 30+ Dortmund squad down. There was absolutely no relation to Gundogan and in the same magazine article Zorc was quoted as explaining relations are good with Gundogan's representatives, there could even be a contract extension on the cards.

When speaking about reducing the squad down from over thirty, Zorc said "As we will do in the coming weeks."

That quote was changed in Germany by some outlets to 'week', rather than 'weeks'. Perhaps by accident, perhaps to make it juicier. It was then changed by The Daily Express into an indication that Dortmund are about to confirm Gundogan to Manchester United. It's only June 26th, there are more than two months left of the transfer window and already there's stuff like this.
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...n-united-to-confirm-gundogan-next-week-claims

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
"Louis van Gaal has already secured the signing of Memphis Depay, and Dortmund general manager Zorc has hinted Gundogan could be Old Trafford's second arrival ahead of the summer window.

“We will have players leaving our club this summer," Zorc said. "There will be some action in the turn of next week.""

Gotta hand it to the "express", thats some stellar sports journalism right there. Not only is the quote not accurate (Zorc said that there will be activity in the coming weeks aka this transfer window not definitively next week), this quote was the answer towards the question if the squad is currently simply too big, which is undoubtly true. There will be quite a few departures like the squad player Milos Jojic, who is heavily linked with a move to Cologne.

There is nothing in this interview that hints towards Gündogan´s departure, though. Outside of some PR talk to make Gündogan appear in a better light in terms of negotations, there is little about Gündogan in the interview at all.

Right now, the odds have turned clearly in the favour of a contract extension:

- Dortmund officials changing their tune somewhat and being less definite about Gündogan leaving
- Gündogan´s agent doing a 180 turn and bringing up an extension again while ruling out leaving on a free transfer in 2016
- Schalke securing Johannes Geis (former Tuchel player who was heavily linked with Dortmund as Gündogan´s replacement)

So while a potential move to United is not impossible or off the table until Gündogan puts his signature under the new contract, the likeliest scenario is Gündogan staying for at least one more year at Dortmund.

Name Changed

weso26
Just getting a proper CDM like Schneiderlin in the side would be transformative enough...since Keane left we haven't had anyone who could effectively screen the back 4 and enable the other midfielders to be creative .
Gundogan v 2015 may not be as effective as Gundogan v 2013 but he is exactly what he need in the CM.
Realistically I think we need them both. Schneiderlin with Gundogan/Schweinsteiger with Herrara is ideal.

tom porter

My muppet dream signing...the thought of him, Herrera, and Carrick playing together in a midfield 3 is amazing.

Brophs

The One and Only
This has been repeated by loads of people on Twitter.

Anderson18

What I think happened: United got a deal with the player, Dortmund asked for way too much for him and he wasn't that high on LvG's list. Then Barcelona said they would like him but can't until 2016 and he should wait another year. No club could find an agreement with Gündogan and Dortmund so he decided to stay and for another year, prove his worth for Dortmund and get his dream switch to Barcelona next year.

Bojan11

Best for him IMO. If he rediscovers his form then he'd get a big move and teams wouldn't hesitate paying those wages he was asking for.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah seems all his realistic destinations - the clubs weren't too keen on his wage demands, especially after his serious injury.

He'll probably renew (if the news above is accurate - he has already). And head off to Barca/Madrid/Bayern in a year or 2, if he reaches his top level again.

R'hllor

It seems if those reports are true,he entered this transfer window with mindset like he is free agent,which it is not the case.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely thought we were going to get him when all those reports came out a while ago... Oh well. Let's hope Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger go through

saivet

"No one wanted to sign me, so I signed a new contract with BVB :)"

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Lack of solid interest from other clubs I reckon. Don't think many are sure he will reach his previous level.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tailed tucked firmly inbetween his legs. If he does regain form he'll be out that door oh so quickly.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
A good thing for everyone I think. Gundogan, with doubts surrounding him currently and lack of interest from big clubs, has got a year to get back to his previous levels in a team and league he is accustomed to. Dortmund retain a key player and will think that Gundogan will get better and fitter than last season. For interested clubs, if Gundogan stays injury free and reaches his previous levels by end of season, there will be a v.good player available in summer 2016 with just 1 year on contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.