‘Elite’ hipster CBs vs Maguire & Lindelöf

RashyForPM

Why does this child get taken seriously enough to have such long threads? It’s like arguing with an 8 year old.
Scroll up a bit and you’ll essentially see him call the people criticising Maguire and Lindelof after the 1-6 to Spurs fake/bad fans.
Got to love Manchester United fans who can't even support their own players. Not much else to say really.
There.

Lee565

Just gutted that we were constantly linked with a proper leader in dias for 2 or 3 transfer windows but ended up over paying for Maguire instead as the club got swept up in the over the top hype of maguire and England's world cup performance when the reality was we had a relatively easy draw to the semis before folding that minute we came up against a half decent side.

UDontMessWith24

Someone in another thread said that we currently resemble Liverpool before van Dijk, which is a nice little rosey spin, but the manager was granted an opportunity at that type of signing and it came up well short.

Karlos PFC

Some pages ago I had someone tell me how overrated Ramos is in comparison to world class Maguire.:lol:
We've tried Maguire with every possible cb and it just doesn't work. How about trying the others and let him sit a few games out, maybe it will work for him. Terrible transfer, terrible captain

Roboc7

Someone in another thread said that we currently resemble Liverpool before van Dijk, which is a nice little rosey spin, but the manager was granted an opportunity at that type of signing and it came up well short.
Yeah strange comparison, if Liverpool had spent a record sum on another defender they wouldn’t have got VVD. That’s the reality of our position, Maguire was probably marketed to our owners as our version of VVD not John Stones.

City’s owners were prepared to spend more on Dias not convinced are owners will want to do the same.

If we want to play like we did last night more often and leave space down the channels for opponents it doesn’t matter who we buy, Maguire just isn’t equipped to play that way to the level required.

Cloud7

Just saw the OP was banned. Good riddance. Abusive many times. Downright troll the other times when he wasn’t being abusive. The forum is better off without him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was always gonna come up short with Maguire imo because Van Dijk along with being rapid was also aerially and technically strong. Liverpool had a criteria for a new CB and Van Dijk ticked every box and fit the profile like a glove.

Ole will have another chance to get it right in the summer according to reports and it seems we also have a criteria for a prospective new CB that I hope we stick to. If we do, then I fully expect us to sign the correct profile of player.

Ekeke

Kounde... another one bites the dust?
Why do you say that?

Sevilla have the 2nd best defensive record in Spain behind Atletico, who have the whole team doing some amount of defending. They've conceded just 2 less goals than Sevilla's 20 in 25 games.

Sevilla have... Jesus Navas at 35 at right back, Kounde, Diego Carlos and then Marcos Acuna at left back. And Bounou in goal. They then have Fernando, 33 as a DM in front of the defence helping

So if Kounde isnt all that, who is? Why do they have a better defensive record than Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sociedad who we just had a 0 - 0 with and the rest?

Is it former Manchester City right winger Jesus Navas at 35? Or former Manchester City DM who didnt do very well there Fernando at 33? Or Marcos Acuna who Argentina tried to use at leftback and were critisized for it?

Kounde is their best, Diego Carlos is pretty good but as we saw at the tail end of last season he can do some nutty things at times to ruin his performance. The rest are doing decent/good

Last edited:

passing-wind

These types of threads are questionable because I'd imagine most United fans will only see these defenders in the odd champions League performance which is a poor judgement to solely base a players contribution.

If opposition fans would watch Maguire only via MOTD he would seem one of the worst center backs in the league given his poor positioning and mistakes contributing to the conceding of goals. This makes it seemingly significant of his total value as a player, when in reality he does add much more over the course of 90 mins aspects which are not picked up in a highlights reel.

Ekeke

These types of threads are questionable because I'd imagine most United fans will only see these defenders in the odd champions League performance which is a poor judgement to solely base a players contribution.

If opposition fans would watch Maguire only via MOTD he would seem one of the worst center backs in the league given his poor positioning and mistakes contributing to the conceding of goals. This makes it seemingly significant of his total value as a player, when in reality he does add much more over the course of 90 mins aspects which are not picked up in a highlights reel.
Its also seemingly unfair because our front players give lots of problems to all of the top young CBs we play against when their teams arent just sitting back and defending. Our forwards dont always score, but they are hard to defend against without them having some moments where they do well against you. Bayern didnt think our performance against RB Leipzig and Upamecano was a reason to discount the fact that he's part of the best defensive record in germany with 20 goals conceeded in 24 matches and they signed him up happily. But there are still people who think he wouldnt have been a good enough signing for us based on playing against us, despite the current champions league holders paying £36 million to secure his signing.

We dont see Rashford, Martial and Fernandes against Maguire and Lindelof. I doubt they would deal with our own attack any better but we can't know because we wont see it.

Edit - If we look at the teams we have struggled to score against this season, the ones who didnt just sit back as a full team, Arsenal for example we've had 2 matches conceding 1 goal and scoring 0. Do those matches mean Gabriel, David Luiz and Rob Holding are the best CBs because we ourselves had less joy against them than Upamecano, Kounde, etc? I would say no. Lets look at the entire season not just 1 or 2 matches against us. Doesnt that make more sense?

Last edited:

Oranges038

Fail to see the point in being so slow on the ball and then trying to go come inside through crowded central areas around the box.

Greck

Just saw the OP was banned. Good riddance. Abusive many times. Downright troll the other times when he wasn’t being abusive. The forum is better off without him.
Massive bellend that guy. Don't know how a guy like that reached full member status.

Robbie Boy

Well this is awkward now. Perhaps we can fire it into the sun or do the cool name and shame thingy...

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Maguire is getting amongst the goals while Lindelof has started channeling his inner Beckenbauer. Are Maguire and Lindelof slowly but surely becoming elite hipster CBs?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Only people that ever argued that in the first place never actually watch football outside of United (and there’s a lot of those tbf)
It goes both ways btw, people blindly rate players they never watched play and just go by what is being said in forums or social media.

Trequarista10

If Lindelof was regularly playing RCB in a back three I genuinely believe he would be considered one of the best CBs in the league or even world.

In fact Maguire, Varane and Lindelof would be an excellent back 3. Shame we don't really have the wing backs to make it work.

Lentwood

As I keep saying....Maguire, Varane, Bailly and Lindelof would all look like Universe bosses in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue Un or the Bundesliga.

People don't understand levels in football. Our CBs are in the top 1% of CBs in World football. Are any of them THE best CBs in the World. No. But we should be very, very, very careful about what we wish for when we keep hammering them and insisting they should be replaced

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
As I keep saying....Maguire, Varane, Bailly and Lindelof would all look like Universe bosses in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue Un or the Bundesliga.

People don't understand levels in football. Our CBs are in the top 1% of CBs in World football. Are any of them THE best CBs in the World. No. But we should be very, very, very careful about what we wish for when we keep hammering them and insisting they should be replaced
It's the least problem position we have in the squad, yet on here you'd think it's the worst because people can't see past goals conceded = centre backs (one in particular) aren't good enough.

Lentwood

It's the least problem position we have in the squad, yet on here you'd think it's the worst because people can't see past goals conceded = centre backs (one in particular) aren't good enough.
Exactly. The level of football nous on this forum amounts to 'team concede goals, defenders rubbish'. Mainly because they all spend too much time on Twitter and Instagram listening to the clickbait, know-nothing idiots that somehow have hundreds of thousands of followers despite knowing exactly nothing about the game.

kthanksbye

I don't understand why people rate Lindelof, his tackling is non existent, his passing is decent as best, he gets outmuscled by strikers on a regular basis, and his pace is nothing to write home about.
He's one of the weakest CB I've seen playing for United, he's fortunate that he has Maguire in the same squad so he's not the worst CB in at the club.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feyenoord's Gernot Trauner is no worse than Maguire. I will fight anyone over this.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

I'd said this for quite a while now... If we had a good DM, our CBs would look much better.
Varane, Maguire and Lindelöf atleast, would look so much better with the midfield of City, Chelsea or Liverpool in front of them, and theirs would look pretty shit behind our midfield.
Many seem to forget it's a team game.

lee82gx

I'd said this for quite a while now... If we had a good DM, our CBs would look much better.
Varane, Maguire and Lindelöf atleast, would look so much better with the midfield of City, Chelsea or Liverpool in front of them, and theirs would look pretty shit behind our midfield.
Many seem to forget it's a team game.
Zidane managed to make all his team mates better too. I'd say address the chicken when the chicken is the problem. Address the egg when the egg is the problem. Its like him blaming De Gea for not making the one v one vs Southampton, when he declined to make the last ditch tackle. Passing the buck....I only wished that interview was done WITH De Gea standing right next to him. If I was DDG, I'd have landed a flying fist on my captain there and then.

Stacks

If Lindelof was regularly playing RCB in a back three I genuinely believe he would be considered one of the best CBs in the league or even world.

In fact Maguire, Varane and Lindelof would be an excellent back 3.
Shame we don't really have the wing backs to make it work.
what is Lindelof good at to be considered the best in the world? can't tackle, weak in the air, no pace.

As a back 3 it would not be excellent as 2 of the CBs are only ok so at best it would lessen their glaring weaknesses. The standard of CB must really be gutter if these are considered the worlds best