“United don’t even fancy it” - Carragher

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFM

Agreed. Looking at City right now v 'Pool, they have a GK and two CDs that are superior to United. Nothing much in it elsewhere. This where the improvement is required. This stability at the base of the team allows everyone else to play and confidence rises. No reason why this can't be sorted in the summer if there is a will to pay the money. City have done this twice to get it right.
'nothing much in it elsewhere', Ok maybe a bit...

kidbob

Prick is right. We're just giddy at the thought of comfortable CL qualification.
Which is something we haven't had for years. Last season we got it on the last day after coming from a fecked position. Its about being realistic. If we can have comfortable CL this year then we can focus on getting closer to the top. We've had close to a decade of shite.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
That's such a dumb argument. :lol:

It's not the start of the season. We were on top of the table at the midway point with the two main rivals suffering from bad injury problems at opposite ends of the pitch. And we instantly bottle it and Ole comes out with lines like 'we were never title challengers in the first place'. It's Moyesian.
Firstly I'm not making an argument so maybe think twice before you use words like dumb because there's only one who looks dumb now

Secondly no one gave us a prayer because we're not good enough, we weren't good enough at the start and despite finding ourselves top we aren't good enough now

MattofManchester

Didn't Roy Keane say the same thing after the Arsenal game?

We don't look like a team that wants to win a title, or we seem to shy away from the pressure of a title chase. We don't seem "hungry" enough, is what I think he said.
I kind of agree.

It actually feels a bit like top 4 last year. Once we caught up to Leicester and Chelsea, the moment we got in distance where a single result would get us top 4,we capitulated, and it took beating Leicester on the last day.

This season, it feels similar in that we keep throwing away winnable games that could actually land us a title race. We win the game against Sheffield, we take our chances against Arsenal and we don't capitulate against Everton and we get 7 points out of that. Suddenly we're first and the whole appearance of things change.

But we didn't win those games and we're already losing ground.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
No one gave us a prayer before the season started and are now putting the boot in when we fail to manage a challenge? Weird
Nobody knew the effect Covid would have or the injuries that Liverpool and City would have, or their inconsistent form. When that became apparent, we were in it. Unfortunately we absolutely blew it in the blink of an eye, much like our CL group.

Zoo

He has been saying it repeatedly because he wants to deflect from Liverpool’s pathetic title defence. Just like he tried to claim that Liverpool don’t spend big on players so their title win somehow meant more.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He has been saying it repeatedly because he wants to deflect from Liverpool’s pathetic title defence. Just like he tried to claim that Liverpool don’t spend big on players so their title win somehow meant more.
Exactly he’s made a point in commentary to bring united into it to deflect.

lost7

Carragher should really be focusing more on how embarassing the "greatest team ever" is performing in their attempt to defend their title.

No Spring Chicken

Ole was obviously just trying to play the underdog, it keeps the pressure off. It’s such an old trick, I’m kind of amazed some our own fans believe it.

Lewnited

I disagree with the wording but he's not too far off. There have been a number of games over the past month where a little bit of grit and determination would have seen us walk away with a few more points, but it just doesn't seem to be there with the team yet.

Shark

@NotShark
Didn't Roy Keane say the same thing after the Arsenal game?

We don't look like a team that wants to win a title, or we seem to shy away from the pressure of a title chase. We don't seem "hungry" enough, is what I think he said.
I kind of agree.

It actually feels a bit like top 4 last year. Once we caught up to Leicester and Chelsea, the moment we got in distance where a single result would get us top 4,we capitulated, and it took beating Leicester on the last day.

This season, it feels similar in that we keep throwing away winnable games that could actually land us a title race. We win the game against Sheffield, we take our chances against Arsenal and we don't capitulate against Everton and we get 7 points out of that. Suddenly we're first and the whole appearance of things change.

But we didn't win those games and we're already losing ground.
Not only the title race, we've thrown away winnable games that could have led to trophies full stop. We're mentality fragile. Basically a slightly better version of Wengers Arsenal 2010 onwards.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Carragher on sky before dismissed United’s title challenge, said we don’t fancy ourselves & are just happy to be there. Talked about how it’s a golden opportunity to win the league & United are showing we don’t have the bottle to go for it. Basically thinks we’ve got no chance because we don’t truly believe ourselves.

It’s a fair point. I don’t think we want it the same way City & Liverpool do. I think we’re chuffed to bits to be involved & our owners are more than happy with a top 4 finish.
If results are the barometer then how do Livepool want the title in a way that we don't?

To be honest, these are painfully childish arguments. You don't win the Premier League by wanting it. You actually have to be good enough and we are nowhere near that. Individual moments and a good run of results have fooled many a gullible folk that we are somehow genuine title contenders. We are not. This team isn't good enough. Ole isn't a top manager. And we have some way to go before being able to get ahead of City especially under Pep Guardiola. Both City and Liverpool weren't going to self destruct. Just focusing on big name such as Pogba, Bruno and Cavani is fine but the collective is not that of a top team.

So enough of this "you'll never get a better chance" bullshit. This wasn't a great chance. Not yet with this team and not under Ole. Given those two aspects we've done fine for ourselves. And we will get a better chance becuase at some point our team will be closer and our manager will hopefully be a top one. Then you can say that it was our big chance as you could with Livepool under Rodgers.

Last edited:

abailey123

We’ve lost one game since November. He needs to look closer to home for a side not fancying it - Liverpool are putting an awful defence of their league title in.
We’re probably 12 months ahead of where we want to be - and I think that’s what Ole was insinuating. I think he knows we’re one or two players short of competing for a full season.

Fluctuation0161

We have the 3rd best squad in the league and have finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th. Last few years. Then 3rd in Oles first full season. Now currently 2nd.

We're not quite there yet. Ole needs to manage expectations this season.

Hughie77

The limit of our squad, you mean?

We're a couple of good transfer windows away from having a squad as good as City's
Agree, a CB , top striker when Cavani goes, and maybe CM, if pogba goes. Inconsistent this season we've been excellent in games and keep leaving teams back into it, or slow start then coming back into games. I was angry last night really angry with the result, but looking back it was a very good display, but again concentrating leaves us down in matches.

Dve

Carragher on sky before dismissed United’s title challenge, said we don’t fancy ourselves & are just happy to be there. Talked about how it’s a golden opportunity to win the league & United are showing we don’t have the bottle to go for it. Basically thinks we’ve got no chance because we don’t truly believe ourselves.

It’s a fair point. I don’t think we want it the same way City & Liverpool do. I think we’re chuffed to bits to be involved & our owners are more than happy with a top 4 finish.
Not the same way as Liverpool do? Hm.

The fact is that we currently sit second in the league. Which, by Carragher´s logic, means we want it more than every other team, except City. If the league table mirrors who want it the most, that is...

Taking shit, Carragher sits top of the league.

ZupZup

I don’t know how anyone can watch this City team at the moment and think we are at that level. It’s not a lack of belief or ambition.

They have conceded 14 goals this season... we’ve conceded way more than double that.

Roboc7

It’s bit harsh but there is a lot of truth to it, City will be stronger next season I’m sure so good chance we fall further behind next season rather than close the gap.

Hughie77

We’ve lost one game since November. He needs to look closer to home for a side not fancying it - Liverpool are putting an awful defence of their league title in.
We’re probably 12 months ahead of where we want to be - and I think that’s what Ole was insinuating. I think he knows we’re one or two players short of competing for a full season.
Agree I think that's why hes come out and said what he said. City thrashing liverpool, shows were a bit short.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Isn’t it acceptable that United are not quite ready? This looks like our coming of age season. Liverpool are putting up one of the worst title defences of recent times.

Siorac

Yeah, we don't fancy it and have zero belief. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

On the one hand, I always prefer realism to delusion. We were never going to win the title because we're simply not good enough, from top to bottom.

On the other hand, when if not now? Liverpool have no centre-backs and are basically imploding, City started awfully and have been missing Agüero all season long while also losing De Bruyne recently. There is no other credible challenger yet we don't have a chance even now. It's almost as frustrating as being nowhere near it in 2016. When will we challenge for the title if not in a season when everything, even injuries, seems to have aligned for us? Next season is only going to be harder and we'll lose Pogba so that's another step backwards. The next opportunity might not come along for another five or more years.

lex talionis

Who cares what the twat believes? The simple truth of the matter is that we're good, perhaps very good, but we're not the favorite to lift the PL trophy this season. Not at the beginning of the season and not now. If we finish in second we can rightly call it progress or we can moan that we didn't finish first. Whichever one chooses, no one believed at the beginning of the season that we were a good bet to win the PL trophy.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If results are the barometer then how do Livepool want the title in a way that we don't?

To be honest, these are painfully childish arguments. You don't win the Premier League by winning it. You actually have to be good enough and we are nowhere near that. Individual moments and a good run of results have fooled many a gullible folk that we are somehow genuine title contenders. We are not. This team isn't good enough. Ole isn't a top manager. And we have some way to go before being able to get ahead of City especially under Pep Guardiola. Both City and Liverpool weren't going to self destruct. Just focusing on big name such as Pogba, Bruno and Cavani is fine but the collective is not that of a top team.

So enough of this "you'll never get a better chance" bullshit. This wasn't a great chance. Not yet with this team and not under Ole. Given those two aspects we've done fine for ourselves. And we will get a better chance becuase at some point our team will be closer and our manager will hopefully be a top one. Then you can say that it was our big chance as you could with Livepool under Rodgers.
Fair.

I saw someone draw a comparison between Ole at United & AVB at Spurs the other day, a subpar manager regularly saved by a world class player (Bale/Bruno) I don’t think it’s that far off.

Statue of Limitations

I think we are in such a good position in the league we will have the luxury of really going for the Europa League too.
City probably too consistent in this moment to drop another 15 points in the league.

Feck Carragher, I certainly fancy it, we are building something special here, something to believe in.

RUCK4444

Wtf does Carragher know about winning titles?

Whenever that subject comes up Jamie I’d expect you to shut your journeyman child spitting mouth! Ok la.

Champagne Football

We were never aiming for the title this year. At the start of the season, 3rd place would have been our highest aim considering Lindelof and De Gea are not of the level required to win a title. Finishing 2nd would mean we have surpassed our aims for the season.

I'd hope next season Ole will have the squad ready to challenge. His rebuild so far has been quicker than expected due to great work and planning.

Carragher is attacking Utd to try to take the focus and heat off Klopp and Liverpool's faltering form. He knows we were never truly in the race.

vidic blood & sand

As Howard Wilkinson said, if the shoe fits.

eire-red

Have to agree with him. City look like they believe they can do it, and are putting in the hard yards to go with the skill.

Looking at United, and we just don't show the same aggression, energy or quality that City do. There was an air of acceptance against SHU and Everton.

Big teams follow up big disappointments with a ruthless streak of results. We don't look anywhere near doing that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ole doesn't fancy us, the man before him didn't fancy us, LVG thought it would've taken us a billion years to understand his philosophy and Moyes thought ,well, feck knows what he thought.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This forum thrives on our failures, there’s nothing we love more than shitting on the team we supposedly support.
Its bizarre isn't it? If anyone 'doesn't fancy it' then it would be the fans that turn on the team every chance they get.

City have just won 10 league games in a row. We can't compete with that. Nobody can. They are a class above and will be worthy winners. If we can end up being the best of the rest then that's a worthy achievement and something to build on.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Isn’t it acceptable that United are not quite ready? This looks like our coming of age season. Liverpool are putting up one of the worst title defences of recent times.
No, not really. We have one of the highest wage bills in world football. We should be expecting to challenge for the title every year.

I recognise there are mitigating circumstances, I've listed them in defence of the management many, many times. However, its not really acceptable for Man Utd to get to the top of the table and just shrug our shoulders at falling away.

We should, for example, be good enough not to throw away a draw against Sheffield United. We should, for example, be good enough to defend a two goal lead at home to Everton. The hindsight really just lets the players off for bottling it.

Carragher may just be trying to deflect from Liverpool's failings but there's something to what he's saying. Not every United player has the bottle for squeaky bum time. The panicky, frightened performances of certain players when we need them says a lot about their mentality. Bridesmaids not brides.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Its bizarre isn't it? If anyone 'doesn't fancy it' then it would be the fans that turn on the team every chance they get.

City have just won 10 league games in a row. We can't compete with that. Nobody can. They are a class above and will be worthy winners. If we can end up being the best of the rest then that's a worthy achievement and something to build on.
More than fair, just went away to the champions and smashed them too. No one will get close to City because they’re the best team in the league by far.

edcunited1878

You can't truly fancy anything unless you go through the gauntlet. But there's a clear change in expectation and demands that Ole has developed and instilled in United.

He's the first one to know the requisite amount of talent, drive, consistency, belief, and fortune needed to win a PL...and treble.

He knows exactly what United needs and what he needs to do himself to achieve the title.

It's all part of the growth. You don't go from your local hilltop to Mt. Everest in a week.

Meh, we’re a much better side than we have been for a long while. Capable of brilliance.

I don’t think “wanting it” has feck all to do with it because well right now, only shitty seem to want it.
I have serious doubts we’ll ever get to the level of consistency the Pep will keep his City side at though, so next year is make or break for me, I don’t give a feck if we get a few more points than before, we need a title challenge that last until April.
Anything else and we’re just a load of shite, happy to be along for the ride. 3.5 years will be plenty and I hope people on here hold the management and club to the levels required of United. Pep is a great manager, no doubt, but we need to rise to that challenge.

gajender

Why do these so called pundits always tend to come up with tired cliches like questioning the players mentality, bottle etc while ignoring the actual talent level of the teams we are where we are because we aren't that good at the moment not because we don't fancy it and we would continue to have inconsistent results because we still have certain gaping holes in our squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.