1 mega signing, 1 big-ish signing, 1 prospect

yo@Kirk

100m - Matthijs de Ligt generalional talent at cb.
50m - Bruno Fernandez am/cm can play multiple positions in a diamond midfield, 4-3-3, or 4-2-3-1.
20m - use as part of the payoff to get Sanchez to accept a transfer to MLS and a new contract.

izec

Mega: De Ligt CB
Big-ish: Chiesa RW
Prospect: Tonali DM

all young, important for their team already and super talented, so money well invested now and for the future.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Maybe Nicolas Pepe for the middle one. He looks very promising.

Wouldn't be averse to going big for De Ligt as others have said. Or maybe Declan Rice who I think is the real deal. I think the club and new leaders will be looking for a player with some years ahead as a United player and rightly so.

For the last one would be nice to go for someone young but will be expensive maybe. Could see some merit in signing someone like Tierney, Hudson-Odoi or Loftus-Cheek. Maybe even Ake depending on who leaves.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well I did think, but I couldn't think of any other Pepe's? So until he corrects me I'll stay a bit flabbergasted.

I'm not paying £50m for Pepe le Pew
I think that he meant Pepe from Lille. No way that he thinks that old prick Pepe from Porto is worth 50mil:houllier:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
£100m RW, £50m DM, £20m CB.

I honestly don't think CB is as desperate for reinforcement as it looked before Ole came. We could do with freshening it up, cleaning out the deadwood and bringing someone in who can fill in excellently. Someone like Alderweireld would be brilliant.

We're thin in midfield. A great DM or DLP to rotate with Matic would be grand. Seems a bit harsh on McTominay who's been excellent recently, but we need top quality if we want to compete.

A top class RW is essential. We're in desperate need of one and we should focus everything on getting someone who can provide the genuine threat we need on the right. Opposition will have to pay extra attention to both sides as opposed to just the left.

I don't know about RB. It depends on if Ole can trust Dalot to take it over. If not, then I'd prioritise it over CB.
This.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
100 million for Sancho. 60 million or thereabouts for a MF. 25 million for Alderweireld.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

all young, important for their team already and super talented, so money well invested now and for the future.
Spot on. Would do the same.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think those values will be roughly correct, but I actually don't think we'll spend that close to £100m again (obviously could be proved wrong). I do think we'll get a player upwards/in the region of £80million though. We might sign two players at the lower values though.

Darmian, Rojo, and Valencia to make way and probably a loan move for some of the younger lads (maybe even McTominay/Pereira depending on if a CM is signed).

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Alternatives in my eyes:

CB:
100m: De Ligt, Koulibaly or Skriniar
20m: Alderweireld

Midfield:
50m: Ndombele or Neves

Attackers:
100m: Sancho
20m: Bailey

Any combination of those would be good, Bailey mentioned without having seen him, but any decent winger for 20 million would be good business, mentioning him in that price bracket due to having read something about a release clause.

I think personally I'd prefer De Ligt & Sancho and have another year of our current midfielders.
Otherwise I'd have to go with Sancho, Ndombele & Alderweireld as I think we really need a right-winger.

izec

No way Tonali would go for around 20M
Dont know, he plays for Brescia. How much can they reject? I wouldnt say they swim in money and depending on how much he is sought after, i dont think he will cost 50m either. Add another 10-20m in add ons if needed.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Could Dalot move to RW and we sign a RB?

Just a thought, he's got some great crosses on him.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I mean Nicolas Pepe, the rightwinger playing for Lille. At 23 he is ready for a move to a bigger club. 17 goals and 8 apples in 32 games this season.
Ah fair enough, apologies. I still stand by my point that old Pepe gets nowhere near us, he's a twat.

Bold: I only look for players that get Pears.

Walters_19_MuFc

Dont know, he plays for Brescia. How much can they reject? I wouldnt say they swim in money and depending on how much he is sought after, i dont think he will cost 50m either. Add another 10-20m in add ons if needed.
I've never watched him, but if he's as highly rated as people are talking about, then we're looking 50M minimum.

Having said that, in the article below, it does say that Brescia have slapped a 22M price tag on him.

https://talksport.com/football/434836/chelsea-transfer-news-wonderkid-sandro-tonali-price/

Fosu-Mens

Mega: de Ligt. Obvious why. Could be the best CB of his generation.
Big: Suso. Mata/Lingard upgrade. Good age, counts as home grown, available for a bargain price due to release clause.
Prospect: Don't buy one. Use the £20m we save by buying Suso and buy another good CM of proven quality.

edit: This is assuming we plan on using Dalot a lot more next season as our right back. If Solskjaer doesn't think he is ready for that then buy Wan-Bissaka instead of another CM because he is class.
Speaking of release clauses:
Pellegrini £22m
Sanabria £15m

Would also sign de Ligt this season and then go for Sancho next if no other talented players emerge. We need a player like Suso, since none of Martial, Rashford, Lukaku and Lingard are typical creators.

the chameleon

DeLigt as the mega. Throw the kitchen sink.

Tielemans would be my 2nd signing. He would be a bargain and would actually be a very useful signing which could potentially become a first team.

Sidibe would be my right back choice. Not too young or old. I know a bit underwhelming but a good make do. Will allow Dalot and Laird to develop.

Tierniy would be my third signing. He would be great competition for Shaw.

In a nutshell. One blockbuster and three midrange signings. Would work out the same. No one would break us down from the back.

I would then allow Dalot and lingard to frustrate us for one more season. Then go all out on Sancho (next summer).

deadrevelz

We need 5 players to be ready to win a big title. RW, CB, DM, RB and CM.

Sadly it seems Sancho has ruled himself out of leaving this summer. I don't think we will get de ligt either.
Maybe signing a good right back and letting dalot play right wing is more realistic. Can see us trying to get Fred playing which will ease our midfield problem and buy either rice or neves and j felix.
AWB 45
Rice 45
Felix 60

NoPace

If that's the $ limit I'd go full Ajax muppet and go with De Ligt, Ziyech and a RB having a strong season at a decent level but haven't seen enough games to know who can step up, if that's Hakimi on a high priced loan, Lala at Strasbourg, Aguilar at Montepellier, Elustondo at Sociedad or another guy.

Martial(Rashford)--Rashford(Lukaku)--Ziyech(Lingard)
-----------Pogba(Pereira)-----Herrera(Fred)--------
-----------------------Matic(Mctominay)--------------
Shaw(Young)------------------------------20$RB(Dalot)
------------Lindelof(Bailly)----DeLigt(Smalling)-----
----------------------DeGea(Romero)------------------

is a rock-solid squad, and Ziyech can play as a traditional 10 if Pogba goes out and we need more creativity in the midfield and so want to go 4-3-3, with any of Dalot, Rashford or Lukaku on the right.

We'd definitely be looking for a defensive-minded or deeper playing CM in the summer of 2020 and either a left-back or right-winger depending on what turns out to be Dalot's 2nd best position (and even if it's LB we'd probably want a backup purchased), but we'd be setting up our back 4 for years to come, solve the right-sided and only Pogba creates problem and while we'd need Fred to have a solid year that seems plausible to me.

sam147

For the purposes of this thread:
  • Mega means ~£100m
  • Big-ish means ~£50m
  • Prospect means ~£20m
I think three signings of about those values are the best we're going to get this, or any, Summer.

What positions, or maybe even which specific players, would you go for?

I'd go mega for a B2B midfielder, big-ish for a CB, and a prospect at RB.
If we want to challenge for a title we need more then 3 signings, 34 year old Ashley Young as our 3rd choice FB will not win us a title.

Mega signing: Koulibaly
Big-ish: Rodri (release clause)
Prospect: Julian Brandt (Release clause 20 million) better than what we currently have at RW and versatile.
Free: Rafael. Bring him home, he is still better than Young.

Dante

Average bang
If we want to challenge for a title we need more then 3 signings, 34 year old Ashley Young as our 3rd choice FB will not win us a title.
Why?

His age isn't an issue unless you choose to make it one.

Young's stamina is as good as anyone's and his pace has barely waned with age. If you didn't look it up, you'd guess his age was mid-to-late twenties. He's as good a backup fullback as you'll find anywhere.

jesperjaap

Like these choices. Is very hard to ignore Sancho and Bissaka, both exceptional talents and ENglish....but we do have an abundance of very good youngsters can play the same positions (Dalot, Greenwood, Gomes, Chong). Still love us to sign both personally.

Actually think choices are tough this summer and a lot dependant on just how much faith Ole really has in some of these youngsters and personally I would give them a chance, but with Dalots versatility to play both flanks and our talented attacking youngsters I would have to go for:

Mega: Del Ligt (feel he will be at Barca though, so the only other option which I feel may be possible this summer is Koulibaily)
Bigish: Bissaka (add him to Dalot/Shaw and Laird replacing Young over the next year and we have gone fro having poor full backs to being stacked for the next 10 years)
Prospect: Not seen anything bar youtube of Tonali who looks exceptional but surely be moving to one of the big Italian clubs....even so, player I have seen plenty of and love, I would go for Ascacibar

sam147

Why?

His age isn't an issue unless you choose to make it one.

Young's stamina is as good as anyone's and his pace has barely waned with age. If you didn't look it up, you'd guess his age was mid-to-late twenties. He's as good a backup fullback as you'll find anywhere.
For me he should be fourth choice minimum, maybe fifth choice. His stamina is going, he prefers to kick a player in the shins rather then track back. On the ball he is very poor, he punts it up the pitch multiple times during a game. We should keep him as he is a leader and can cover LB and RB. However, one long term injury to Luke Shaw or Dalot and our season will be done. In my opinion, will not challenge for a title with Young at fullback next season. Look at Valencias decline, he was one of the fittest in the squad. He comes back from the summer and his legs are gone. The same can easily happen to Young and we cannot take that risk.

Negan

100m - Kante
50m - Lozano or Zaha
20m - Ricardo Pereira (will cost a bit more than that though... unless we can do a swap deal)

OleGunnar20

£100m RW, £50m DM, £20m CB.

I honestly don't think CB is as desperate for reinforcement as it looked before Ole came. We could do with freshening it up, cleaning out the deadwood and bringing someone in who can fill in excellently. Someone like Alderweireld would be brilliant.

We're thin in midfield. A great DM or DLP to rotate with Matic would be grand. Seems a bit harsh on McTominay who's been excellent recently, but we need top quality if we want to compete.

A top class RW is essential. We're in desperate need of one and we should focus everything on getting someone who can provide the genuine threat we need on the right. Opposition will have to pay extra attention to both sides as opposed to just the left.

I don't know about RB. It depends on if Ole can trust Dalot to take it over. If not, then I'd prioritise it over CB.
Agreed on RW being top priority. Sancho would make the most sense, however if that's impossible I think Pepe would be a good alternative - similar breakneck style with huge potential. Suso's buyout looks like good value as a third choice to me, although Greenwood & Chong should be getting gametime sooner rather than later also.

Eitherway I think we need a direct, pacey option out there to really complete our trio. Honestly I think Sancho would set us up with a deadly first-choice attacking line for at least 6-7 years.

In the middle of the park id like to see a youngster brought in who can provide cover to one of our mainstays. N'dombele / Neves / Barella / Pellegrini / Aouar, I feel Fred & McTominay are versatile enough to mould themselves to cover the remaining two positions, depending on who was to be brought in.

Lastly, I'd be wary of Alderweireld considering our form in bringing aging stars into the team. Smalling / Lindelof looks good to me, with Tuanzebe / Jones & a youngster like Milenkovic (De-Ligt would be perfect of course) backing them up with a view to succeeding Smalling, I think we'd be golden. Rojo & Bailly have to go for me.

If pushed I'd go for:

100m - Sancho
50m - Milenkovic
20m - Pellegrini

Of course this was all a massive waste of words because:

de Ligt and Sancho; skip the third one
Is the correct answer.

ROFLUTION

Can you actually get anything worthy of our level/needs for 20m these days?

The price rises when United come knocking, so In reality that 20m player might be a 10-15m player. Unless there's some smart clause in a contract.

Rather go for 2 players with great quality

Brightonian

De Ligt & Sancho. Rather spend the 170 on that!
de Ligt and Sancho; skip the third one
Is the correct answer.
Yep. Sancho and De Ligt. No brainer. You should do anything necessary to secure these kinds of best-in-their-generation talents.

The only other position that clearly needs reinforcement is DM, and McTominay is looking a more than capable understudy to Matic at the moment, with Garner potentially an interesting third choice. Not to mention that if Fred starts to come good, Herrera can also replace Matic and leave Fred as the B2B,

MadMike

Dybala
Meunier or Sidibe
Aldeweireld

Bonus points for nabbing Rabiot on a free.

Dante

Average bang
Can you actually get anything worthy of our level/needs for 20m these days?

The price rises when United come knocking, so In reality that 20m player might be a 10-15m player. Unless there's some smart clause in a contract.

Rather go for 2 players with great quality
Dalot

pacifictheme

Sancho
De ligt

Big ask but yeah. Think modfield can wait a season tbh with mctominay and pereira.

Dan_F

Wait. People actually think we can get AWB for under 20 million?

Marcus

Ole is working such a miracle, I am not sure we need anyone actually. It was Jose who convinced us that this team is terrible and incapable of success.