11 United players contracts expiring in the summer

arnie_ni

Anyone saying Smalling I just take it as they haven't a clue. Imagine if we were left with Bailly and Lindelof playing every game. Absolute mess.

No doubt they'll list off a few names to buy who we'd buy and would just be shit like Lindelof and Bailly.

Looking to upgrade your CBs? You don't start by getting rid of your best and only consistent one.
Exactly. Do i really want smalling starting? No, but he is absolutely our best and would be a perfect back up

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We have a huge summer ahead.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Realistically, only Darmian and one of Valencia/Young will leave, Herrera may leave depending on whether Bilbao are interested in him. Martial, Dave and Pereira's contract will be extended by a year and I hope we sign them onto long term deals

Trizy

These players will be out of contract in the summer:

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
Source: United.no

Who do you want to stay?

Who do you think would want to leave in our current situation?
I'd give Shaw, Pereira, Martial & De Gea new and improved contracts. 4/11.
I'd renew Smalling, Jones, Darmian & Herrera - Only to sell them in January/Summer 2020 due to not losing money on the players. 8/11
I'd renew Mata on a reduced wage. Great professional & squad player to have. 9/11
I'd activate Valencia's +1 option for RB back up to Dalot (hopefully). 10/11
I'd release Young. 11/11.

Johan07

No one of the listed players should be released and we should to sign them all up on reasonable terms and longer periods. Anything else is pure asset destruction.
Phil Jones for example; he is 26 and was part of the England squad this summer. Any nouveau TV-rich midtable club like Everton or West Ham, would bite our hands off for him should we decide to transfer him in the future. He is easily worth 40m in todays market. Regardless of injury troubles, etc.
Its something completely different who of these players should and will be a part of our squad next year. Anyhow I dont see Mourinho changing more than 5 players in his squad until next year if he stays.
And its not so easy as just deciding from the clubs perspective, who should or stay or not. You need to consider the players will as well, and there might very well be players outside of these 11 that will want to leave.
We need to keep our options open as long as possible and you dont do that by releasing a lot of players (with some value) long before one of the more important summer transfer windows for a long time.

Water Melon

No one of the listed players should be released and we should to sign them all up on reasonable terms and longer periods. Anything else is pure asset destruction.
Phil Jones for example; he is 26 and was part of the England squad this summer. Any nouveau TV-rich midtable club like Everton or West Ham, would bite our hands off for him should we decide to transfer him in the future. He is easily worth 40m in todays market. Regardless of injury troubles, etc.
Its something completely different who of these players should and will be a part of our squad next year. Anyhow I dont see Mourinho changing more than 5 players in his squad until next year if he stays.
And its not so easy as just deciding from the clubs perspective, who should or stay or not. You need to consider the players will as well, and there might very well be players outside of these 11 that will want to leave.
We need to keep our options open as long as possible and you dont do that by releasing a lot of players (with some value) long before one of the more important summer transfer windows for a long time.
Makes sense from the club's point of view, however, players have agents. It is very unlikely they would accept short-term deals with lesser wages.

Fracture90

CB, right winger and LB.
Far from me trying to defend the board, but they made the right decision not fulfilling every whim Mourinho has had when it comes to buying players.

Leaving the next manager full squad of older players on the decline isn't the way to go either.

stevoc

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)

Who do you want to stay?

I'd keep Herrera, Smalling, Shaw, Martial and obviously DeGea. Mata, Valencia, Young etc. will hopefully be given a nice send off. The likes of Darmian and Jones i'd shoot out of a cannon now never mind waiting until the summer.

cyberman

Far from me trying to defend the board, but they made the right decision not fulfilling every whim Mourinho has had when it comes to buying players.

Leaving the next manager full squad of older players on the decline isn't the way to go either.
How old were they last summer though? The longer we wait the older they get!

Fracture90

How old were they last summer though? The longer we wait the older they get!
Well you were referring to when a new manager comes so shouldn't we be thinking how old they would be when the next manager comes rather than how old were they last summer?

RedNed77

• Ashley Young (33) - Keep on new rolling one year contracts
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Release
  • Juan Mata (30) - Release
  • Ander Herrera (29) - Release :(
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Release
  • Chris Smalling (28) - Keep
  • David De Gea (28) – KEEP
  • Phil Jones (26) - Release
  • Luke Shaw (23) - Keep
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Extend & Sell
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Release if he's not had any game time by the end of the year

JK-27

Out of those 11 I would only want DDG, Shaw, Martial and Pereira to stay.

youmeletsfly

• Ashley Young (33) -> Should stay as back-up. Also he's a good presence in the dressing room.
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Should be backup to Dalot if he's alright with that.
  • Juan Mata (30) -> If we're looking to change our style next year, play wider and faster, he doesn't have a spot in our team. I still feel he;s better as a 10. He might move on. But props to the guy, excellent character and top professional.
  • Ander Herrera (29) -> Should be kept around, he's a brilliant guy and really plays for the shirt.
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Will leave
  • Chris Smalling (28) -> 1st choice CB
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Give him a huge contract and tie him down.
  • Phil Jones (26) -> Will leave
  • Luke Shaw (23) -> New contract

Martial and Pereira should be given new deals. It will be awkward for them to leave and do well in another team/league.

It looks bad by it's not that bad.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I hope we extend Herrera's contract, unluk with injuries and manager trust in his tall palyers made him play less and less but he's still a class player who never moans and gives his everything, better option than Matic for us, if we appoint a progressive manager who will know how to play some pressing game, and that's what we need.

Certainly Pereira needs to be backed as he'd be exactly a player the new manager should be working with

Our best CB Smalling should get a 3 year contract too

I'd be furious if we extend Darmian's contract

roseguy64

• Ashley Young (33)
  • Juan Mata (30)
  • Ander Herrera (29)
  • Chris Smalling (28)
  • Phil Jones (26)
  • Luke Shaw (23)

Who do you want to stay?

Looking back on this, let's have an update. Smalling and Shaw have signed new contracts. Nothing confirmed with anyone else.

We might offer Herrera one and also Young but I expect Mata to be released. We'll extend all the contracts with the option and try to move on Valencia and Darmian while they retain value.

Jones, I have no clue on.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I would hope nothing will be done without the new managers blessing

Looking back on this, let's have an update. Smalling and Shaw have signed new contracts. Nothing confirmed with anyone else.

We might offer Herrera one and also Young but I expect Mata to be released. We'll extend all the contracts with the option and try to move on Valencia and Darmian while they retain value.

Valencia has zero value.

Chairman Steve

I'm usually all for giving players more chances but yeah, given that we're on our fourth manager in six years and not much turnover has happened then alarm bells should be ringing in OGS' head about giving these guys another chance.

If we had a DoF-like system set up, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have as much deadwood as we do because they'd have ideally been there since SAF retired and would have told a prospective new manager "No this guy needs to be sold, he hasn't reached the peaks he used too", instead of like what we've seemingly being doing where a new manager has to come in and figure it all out for himself.

stepic

De Gea and Martial one year extensions were activated

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Losing Martial and DDG would be a big hit to the team, especially considering it might be for free, they are probably worth £180m combined.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Do we have a time machine?

In Rainbows

I hope we don't give Jones a contract. We're surely buying a CB in the summer and we'll have Tuanzebe coming back from loan.

izec

• Ashley Young (33) -> Should stay as back-up. Also he's a good presence in the dressing room.
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Should be backup to Dalot if he's alright with that.
  • Juan Mata (30) -> If we're looking to change our style next year, play wider and faster, he doesn't have a spot in our team. I still feel he;s better as a 10. He might move on. But props to the guy, excellent character and top professional.
  • Ander Herrera (29) -> Should be kept around, he's a brilliant guy and really plays for the shirt.
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Will leave
  • Chris Smalling (28) -> 1st choice CB
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon. -> Give him a huge contract and tie him down.
  • Phil Jones (26) -> Will leave
  • Luke Shaw (23) -> New contract

Martial and Pereira should be given new deals. It will be awkward for them to leave and do well in another team/league.

It looks bad by it's not that bad.
Pereira, Darmian and Valencia wont be here next season.

Jones and Mata shouldnt be either, but that could change, dont think it is as clear cut as the other 3 aforementioned. Not sure the club has offered them a new one

Young, Herrera, Martial and De Gea the club wants to keep and should extend in an ideal scenario.

Havak

Pokemon master
Some of these are tricky ones.

I actually expect Ashley Young and Ander Herrera to be offered new contracts, but not long ones. Young's could be as little as a 1-year + 1-year extension option. While Herrera would probably be two or three years with a +1. Herrera is somewhat dependent on Fellaini and McTominay though, IMO. The long-term plan should really be to move those guys on before Ander, with Ander likely be sold towards the end of whatever new contract he is offered (if he is).

Phil Jones should 100% be released, the club shouldn't even debate it IMO. I'd even wager it could be worth flogging him at the end of January if our other four CB's are all fit by then. He's been a terrible investment, thankfully we were able to keep him on somewhat low wages for us during his tenure. Sticking with defenders, Darmian is a cert to go in the Summer, I'm a little surprised he's still here now. Valencia is another odd one, as the club may repay his loyalty, but I think he'll play out his last season as a back-up fullback. Shaw will keep the left back slot, while I think it'll be more a case of Young & Dalot fighting for right back, unless there are injuries or Shaw needs resting in which case Young goes to left back and Dalot right (Valencia on the bench). I would expect it to be made clear to Antonio that this would be his role, and if he doesn't like it and wants to play, he'd probably move in January to get us some return.

Juan Mata.. I think will go. He's such a likable guy, he gives us a lot from set-pieces and does contribute to the side. However, I think he has just never really fit into the way we've played under any of the managers he's played under (which is odd considering how good he was at Chelsea under Mourinho). It always seemed like we tried to buy more players who liked to play at no.10 instead of playing him there. I hate to sound disrespectful as he's a very good player, but sometimes, particularly in away games with him out wide, it felt like we were playing with 10 men. He should look for a new challenge and unfortunately, it might be at a club who won't be challenging for trophies. If he stays in the Premier League, it'd have to be somewhere like Leicester or West Ham.

So, in summary IMO:

Young - New Contract (One-Year Rolling)
Valencia - Sold in January 2020/Released June 2020
Mata - Released June 2019
Herrera - New Contract (At least Three Years Total)
Darmian - Sold in Summer 2019
Jones - Released June 2019

Everyone else either has or will be offered long-term, improved contracts that they hopefully accept.

There are at least a couple of players in our squad on long contracts that should leave before some of the above.

Cockney Phil

Ander Herrera would be a serious loss if he leaves. I like Mata’s skills but he’s been wasted at OT I can see him leaving. Martial would be a loss but I wouldn’t blame him for leaving given his past family issues. De Gea seems permanent so I guess he will go somewhere unexpected. Shaw will be offered a new contract but I guess the rest will move on. Tony V and Young have been great club players. Andreas has been a huge disappointment but I would blame the managers.

Jericholyte2

• Ashley Young (33) - I’d keep Kim as backup FB along with a new FB in summer.
  • Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon. - Newcastle showed he’s done, let him go.
  • Juan Mata (30) - as much as I love the guy he’s too slow for the style we want, let him go.
  • Ander Herrera (29) - seeing how good he can be right now. Need to keep for mentality if nothing else
  • Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon. - let him go back to Italy.
  • Chris Smalling (28) - renewed but could end up 3rd choice is Koulibaly is signed.
  • David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon. - give the man WHATEVER HER WANTS
  • Phil Jones (26) - CB in summer will be a priority, he’ll end up 5th choice. Let him go.
  • Luke Shaw (23) - re-signed, needs viable competition
  • Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon. - give the guy what he wants, our LF for the next decade.
  • Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon. - personally don’t see it. Use addon and have him be a makeweight for a bigger target.

Who do you want to stay?

AndyJ1985

Feels like the perfect opportunity to get rid of some deadwood. I'm sick of us keeping rubbish players for so long. If Phil Jones and Valencia are still here next season I'll despair.

Devil may care

Ashley Young (33)
Antonio Valencia (33) – Optional 1 year addon.
Juan Mata (30)

Ander Herrera (29)
Matteo Darmian (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
David De Gea (28) – Optional 1 year addon.
Phil Jones (26)
Anthony Martial (22) – Optional 1 year addon.
Andreas Pereira (22) – Optional 1 year addon.

I'd let the bolded 5 go, In the case of Darmian I think he's been a great pro here and should be allowed to go back to Italy and get his career going again. Mata is a nice guy but doesn't suit the high press or dynamic style we are trying to implement and would be a starter week in and week out in Serie A, so let those big wages go. I like Andreas but I just don't think it's going to happen here for him.

Jones is a living meme at this point, his injury record is ridiculous and it's time we cut our losses, and we'd be dumb to extend Valencia's contract in the hope of getting a pittance for him, he's been a good servant to the club and we have gotten our value out of what we paid for him, if we activate the extension we wont be able to shift him and he'll just take up space and wages. In truth I don't really want to keep Young either but I think it's a needs must situation as we aren't going to buy 2 fullback's in the summer.

Fosu-Mens

Confirmed:
Shaw signed for 5 years at rumoured £150k per week(Making him the fifth highest paid defender in the world) until 2023
Smalling signed for 4+1 year at rumoured £120k per week until 2022.
Players the club is sure to try to extend with:
Martial extended for 1 year. Club negotiating with him regarding new contract. Will not be cheap and north of £150k is to be expected.
DDG option activated. Currently on £200k a week, and a new contract will most likely be around £300k or more.
Herrera will most likely sign a new contract. Currently on £75k a week. Will get an increase to more than £100k a week.
Players we might extend:
Young currently on £110k a week. Will most likely wait until new manager/DoF is decided. Given the recent rumours from Italy i would guess they are trying to force the club into coming with an offer. If given an extension the wage should be lower.
Mata currently on £150k a week. If extended, then should be half of this.
Jones currently on £50k a week. English and currently on a low wage. If we manage to extend with the current wage or only a small increase we should.

Darmian and Pereira will get their 1 year options actived. Darmian will be sold. Pereira might be kept as backup.
Valencia will be released.

Overall i think the results from most of our contract negotiations is a big source of worry. Eventhough our non-premier league income is substantial, the amount we can afford to pay our players has a limit. And given that DDG and Martial are set for a substantial increase, Rashfords conctact at £40k a week is ending in 2020 and he will more than triple his wages when he extends, and we will need to add some high earning players in defense to improve our squad....

In Rainbows

Confirmed:
Shaw signed for 5 years at rumoured £150k per week(Making him the fifth highest paid defender in the world) until 2023
Smalling signed for 4+1 year at rumoured £120k per week until 2022.
Players the club is sure to try to extend with:
Martial extended for 1 year. Club negotiating with him regarding new contract. Will not be cheap and north of £150k is to be expected.
DDG option activated. Currently on £200k a week, and a new contract will most likely be around £300k or more.
Herrera will most likely sign a new contract. Currently on £75k a week. Will get an increase to more than £100k a week.
Players we might extend:
Young currently on £110k a week. Will most likely wait until new manager/DoF is decided. Given the recent rumours from Italy i would guess they are trying to force the club into coming with an offer. If given an extension the wage should be lower.
Mata currently on £150k a week. If extended, then should be half of this.
Jones currently on £50k a week. English and currently on a low wage. If we manage to extend with the current wage or only a small increase we should.

Darmian and Pereira will get their 1 year options actived. Darmian will be sold. Pereira might be kept as backup.
Valencia will be released.

Overall i think the results from most of our contract negotiations is a big source of worry. Eventhough our non-premier league income is substantial, the amount we can afford to pay our players has a limit. And given that DDG and Martial are set for a substantial increase, Rashfords conctact at £40k a week is ending in 2020 and he will more than triple his wages when he extends, and we will need to add some high earning players in defense to improve our squad....
That Shaw info is terrible. When extended, why did he need those wages to remain at United? What club was willing to offer him those wages, and offer him the prestige that comes with United? It's crazy. It always pains me to see the wage bill of say Spurs, for players that could leave Spurs for greener pastures and yet they're making less than our players.

arthurka

Ddg
Martial

They need to be signed.

Jones
Pereira
Young

Young 1 year, Jones and Pereira signed and sold next summer.

Rest can leave with Rojo and Fellaini.

Maccataq

I heard Valencia is in talks with Inter.

We should keep Mata, Young, Herrera.

DDG & Martial should be given big contracts.