1st time since 1986 - 1989 that we have gone four seasons without a trophy

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
How are we progressing? what has gotten better since ole got in charge beside better environment and better players?

Ole has been in charge as long as any of our previous manager and it seems that top four trophy which we used to criticize spurs and Arsenal about is more important than actually trophies. Does fans on here agree with this sentiment now? Top four is better than trophies?

forgot to add a poll. Would like to know the consensus whether top four is more important than trophies like fa cup, community shield, Europa league, and carrabao cup.

stw2022

I think measuring progress against how comparatively more poorly rival clubs have fared is a risky strategy. League table never lies but we are as poor a side to finish second as I can remember.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I almost wondered why you posted that video for a moment.

Either way, lack of trophies isn't a good thing for the club in terms of attracting new and better players. The longer it goes on, the more damaging it'll probably be, especially if we get into a bidding war over Grealish, Sancho, Haaland, etc.

More personally I'm a little disappointed but I'm sure I'll keep trucking, trophies or not. The team is enjoyable enough to watch most of the time, which makes it better than when Mou and LvG were here.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The best part about this thread is that the title itself is factually incorrect.

Last time we went trophyless for 4 seasons was from 1985/86 season to 1988/89 season

laughtersassassin

Overall when you weigh up the better league finishes but the worse cup outcomes the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

We have a better team now We are a but more consistent which is why we do better in the league BUT we are worse in the cups.

When it comes down to it we feck it up. Wether its against a better side or a worse one.

In this way we have certainly regressed a bit.

At this stage it's probably a big mental block.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How are we progressing? what has gotten better since ole got in charge beside better environment and better players?

Ole has been in charge as long as any of our previous manager and it seems that top four trophy which we used to criticize spurs and Arsenal about is more important than actually trophies. Does fans on here agree with this sentiment now? Top four is better than trophies?

forgot to add a poll. Would like to know the consensus whether top four is more important than trophies like fa cup, community shield, Europa league, and carrabao cup.
Poch would have won us the league dammit

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
A lot will depends on next year .

Trophy and hopefully league title push at least : progress in the right direction, success if you will, pays off, etc
Trophyless and anything bellow top 4 : we're back to square one.

Alot hinges on next year, with a crystal ball ole could have done an SAF and win everything under the sun for the next 20+ years but if he doesn't get it right next season he'll be out before his 6th year

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We don't have a divine right to challenge for trophies and we're spoilt for thinking we do.

mancsarered

Stop posting clips from ESPN; there's not a single pundit on that network who would say a single positive thing about United.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I do think Ole was right in saying trophies can mask things and paper over cracks but yeah we've got to be winning one soon.

It would have been heralded as a big step forward though if Rulli misses his pen and de Gea slots his in. Is there really much difference between them? Why does one mean long term progress and the other doesn't? Just because our goalkeeper had a penalty saved? Something like that is completely out of everyone's hands except those two men.

Luke1995

Ole has done better when he was caretaker manager than when in the full-time job.

Gurtej

Let’s not blame Ole for everything and anything. I rather have it with him improving every year than seeing that slow, boring football every week.

But we must be the most badly run club of the top flight clubs in the world.... Right from overpaying for players we want including second or third choices and selling our players at relatively low prices compare to others.... Unable to get targets at right time, never seen swap deals...Unable to move unwanted players for years... giving ridiculous wages to mediocre players ....
Just about everything is wrong with the way we run this club...

No one is telling me that we can’t get 120m+ plus for Lingrad, Martial, James, Jones, one of Lindelof or Baily, De Gea or Henderson...

And we can’t add that 120m to $150m spend (total 250-300m) and make us a stronger team vs this year with introduction of couple of academy players.....that can genuinely compete for trophies ....

We can get 2 top class players and 2 very good players in today’s market for that price that will make us a competitive force again....
excluding Kane ..

croadyman

Ole has done better when he was caretaker manager than when in the full-time job.
Yeah because there is a lot less pressure in that kind of situation and he should have been released at the end of 18/19 season

largelyworried

Better football, better players, better recruitment, a happier environment, better long term prospects. I personally doubt his ability to truly take us the last step and dominate this league, but the club is in better health than at any time since SAF left.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
None of our previous managers were sacked for not having won enough. They were sacked for the state of the squad and football we were playing.

Whatever he has/hasn't won, there is no question that Ole has built a better squad and style of football that surpasses all other managers we've had since Fergie left.

Maticmaker

Wasn't 1986-1989 SAF's first years, remember he got a 'drumming' as well?
Any manager at OT that doesn't win silverware over that period of time will continue to get hit over the head with that omission. If we had not finished up in the top four, Ole would be gone!

Some progress is being made, but clearly for some its not soon enough, or smooth enough. Problems that have plagued us since SAF's days remain, we have not found a replacement for Carrick or a CB pairing to equal Vidic and Rio. We have some players who are individually good and on their day and can win you a game, but we don't have a enough 'pass and move' midfielders who can break through solid, well drilled defences

I suspect Ole will have found out a lot more about his players from the Europa Cup defeat, as they will done about him as a manager! What can be learned on both sides and then addressed properly will determine whether Ole in particular, goes or stays.

CG1010

It is really poor and Ole should have won a trophy given the 4 (or 5) semi finals we have reached in last two years, including a final now. But honestly I enjoy watching United much more than 2013-2017 when we won trophies but weren't an exciting team. We are now much more interesting to watch with players like Bruno, Pogba, Cavani, Rashford (not last couple of months) and Greenwood. And now with Amad and other new youngsters we are introducing. So while I am worried about Ole and this team developing a reputation of chokers, still am happy with the overall direction.

Fully Fledged

None of our previous managers were sacked for not having won enough. They were sacked for the state of the squad and football we were playing.

Whatever he has/hasn't won, there is no question that Ole has built a better squad and style of football that surpasses all other managers we've had since Fergie left.
Wish I could give a thumbs up.
We are a young improving squad. Let's give it time to evolve.