200m budget for this summer

OverratedOpinion

I never play football manager.

Pau Torres - my thinking is Bailey came from Villareal so they may take him back in a swap/part ex for torres.
Martial - Obviously riddled with mental health and confidence issues, ETH can give him a fresh start, we cant simply burn him - hes here for 2 years so we have to try and get him to work or pay his contract up £27mil and feck him off.
Out of contract players -

James Tarkowski (Burnley)

Christian Eriksen (Brentford)

Sean Longstaff (Newcastle)

Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal)

Jeffrey Schlupp (Crystal Palace)

Teemu Pukki (Norwich City)

Pukki - 20 goals a season for us? Erikson - I'd take him, Longstaff - we were quoted £50mill for him a few years ago. Tarkowski - loves a tackle.

Why not take a punt on some solid pros? Or do we just spunk another £98mill on a primadonna? Di Maria, Pogba etc?

You cant have it both ways.
Wouldn't fancy a lot of those, seem very Liverpool 2010 type signings.

Tarkowski though has been absolutely brilliant anytime I have watched him.

Jericho

Rather than spending the money on 1 or 2 overpriced and overrated big names that will inevitably become infected with whatever the feck is wrong with the players here, can we just do some really good scouting and bring in a bunch of really promising unknowns so we can replace a big chunk of the current squad.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If we are wise with money, £200m could significantly improve the team. I don’t trust us with that though, I think we will waste most of it and will probably just get 3 players at £70m or so each.

I mean how much did Liverpool spend on Konate and Diaz - £75m combined?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
We'll buy Declan Rice for £100m, and then have another £100m to spend on about six other players. I don't trust this club to spend the money wisely.

telstar96

I hope they don't try rush this process. The team will need a couple of windows to be fully rebuilt. For me, I think we should prioritise GK, DM and ST, as I think buying in those positions would see a difference in our style of play more aligned to what ten Hag wants to do.

hatchetmac

I hope they don't try rush this process. The team will need a couple of windows to be fully rebuilt. For me, I think we should prioritise GK, DM and ST, as I think buying in those positions would see a difference in our style of play more aligned to what ten Hag wants to do.
Are you having a laugh GK. We have 2 very good keepers its CB and RB that we really struggle in.

CanuckDevil

Wouldn't fancy a lot of those, seem very Liverpool 2010 type signings.

Tarkowski though has been absolutely brilliant anytime I have watched him.
I like Tarkowski but I don‘t believe he has the pace required to play in the ultimate ETH system (high line). Another defender that suits a low block and would be exposed with a system change.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
*the club's own money. The club generates huge sums of money which the Glazer's allow to be reinvested, after they take their dividends and service the debt they leveraged on the club following their buyout.
They are still spending. I hate them more than anybody but they have spent loads and 200m if true without champions league revenue
is a lot of money.

joedirt87

i would have no problem spending every cent of the budget on improving the midfield.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Rather than spending the money on 1 or 2 overpriced and overrated big names that will inevitably become infected with whatever the feck is wrong with the players here, can we just do some really good scouting and bring in a bunch of really promising unknowns so we can replace a big chunk of the current squad.
No Bueno. Most promising youngster are tapped in bu spanish italian teams from early on. And if they're good enough we wont be the only one noticing. So unless they have a crystal ball most good prospect are hardly unknown.

Agents all over have done their homework and financing kids development from the age of 10s and keeping them on their tabs.

It's not FM where we can scout and find gems.

At best we choose a good stable player in the bracket of 20m ish and hope they'd do a decent job to fill 11 players with 1 or 2 marquee signing as the main canon

And even if we find the next zlatan we wont know until he's 24ish meaning we need to actually play them when they're not at their best. Something we dont have the luxury to gamble. And for every 10 player getting 2 or 3 years in the first team only 1 or 2 realized their potential. Martial has been stinking up the place for 6 years and his first was actually good. Imagine if we blood a youngster only to find out 3 years after that he's not the real deal.

joedirt87

Leaving us with Rashford, Sancho, Elanga and maybe Ronaldo for the forward positions. Tasty.
remember how stacked we looked at the beginning of the season with all those attacking options. they couldn't do a dam thing because the midfield can't string 2 passes together or give them service or control a game. Impossible as it may seem that Rashford or Martial will ever get back to their best form we have seen them be good goal scoring forwards. who in this current midfield that is sticking around has shown a much higher level then where they currently are. signing one DM and praying he plays every game is not a good enough improvement.

eire-red

But not 200Mil as was probably report at the time. Point I was making is that the media are thumb sucking out of nothing and are doing what is a guestimate, not hard to do, but not because they got it from a credible source.
Ah, fair enough. I was looking at the tweet of the lad saying "lies". I don't get the narrative people push that we haven’t spent enough. We've spent plenty, more than enough in fact. We've spent enough to have spent only half of it to compete, and the other half on development of OT and Carrington.

In fairness, Maguire, AWB and James probably cost in excess of £200m when you count total considerations (wages, agent fees etc), but I'm probably just being pedantic there.

In all seriousness, I guess the media is looking at the sums of money that previous managers have had to spend and just applying it here. I do think ETH will be given the financial resources. It would seem ludicrous of the club to sell this "strategic shift" but no investment to go along with it.

Jericho

No Bueno. Most promising youngster are tapped in bu spanish italian teams from early on. And if they're good enough we wont be the only one noticing. So unless they have a crystal ball most good prospect are hardly unknown.

Agents all over have done their homework and financing kids development from the age of 10s and keeping them on their tabs.

It's not FM where we can scout and find gems.

At best we choose a good stable player in the bracket of 20m ish and hope they'd do a decent job to fill 11 players with 1 or 2 marquee signing as the main canon

And even if we find the next zlatan we wont know until he's 24ish meaning we need to actually play them when they're not at their best. Something we dont have the luxury to gamble. And for every 10 player getting 2 or 3 years in the first team only 1 or 2 realized their potential. Martial has been stinking up the place for 6 years and his first was actually good. Imagine if we blood a youngster only to find out 3 years after that he's not the real deal.
I just think we could do with more of the Nemanja Vidic rather than Harry Maguire type signings.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
200 net or just him being given 200 mil without considering the funds we get from sales?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Probably BS because we have never spent 200m in one window . But if the Glazers really care, think we need that amount of money to be invested to even achieve a top 4.

Would be a Muppet window
Honestly don’t think that amount would be required to get top 4 (we are still almost top 4 right now it’s really not difficult to achieve), but it certainly is needed to actually start a solid rebuild.

UTD_Since_1978

£200m is nowhere near enough to fix UTD. Plus, what about the 10 players RR suggested we need to buy this summer?

If UTD are not buying at least 7 players who will be instant starters this summer & spending well over £200m then I will be hugely disappointed.

Devil81

If Lacazette is available for free I'd say he'd be a good understudy to Ronaldo.

Eriksen, Lacazette for free would leave money in the pot for other players.

I'd also be interested in Rudiger if they could convince him to sign.

SirAnderson

Ah, fair enough. I was looking at the tweet of the lad saying "lies". I don't get the narrative people push that we haven’t spent enough. We've spent plenty, more than enough in fact. We've spent enough to have spent only half of it to compete, and the other half on development of OT and Carrington.

In fairness, Maguire, AWB and James probably cost in excess of £200m when you count total considerations (wages, agent fees etc), but I'm probably just being pedantic there.

In all seriousness, I guess the media is looking at the sums of money that previous managers have had to spend and just applying it here. I do think ETH will be given the financial resources. It would seem ludicrous of the club to sell this "strategic shift" but no investment to go along with it.
Agree with you 100% that we have spent enough to be in a better position we in right now, which speaks to how poorly we've used the funds, as we have like 3 small trophies to show for it which is abysmal.

But as you say, ETH will be given enough funds to get the team in the shape he wants it. I do think it will be over the 3 years but this first year will be important, with so many possibly going, it will make a big gap for players to come in.

So while 200mil sounds fair in terms of the market value it all depends on the type of player we looking for (Galacticos/big star names, or rather developing under the radar players). If its more of the same, then 200mil is probably too little even, but we need a change of approach and also stop letting club fleece us in negotiations, thanks to Woodwards "We can do things other clubs only dream of" nonsense. From then the War Chest became a thing every season and every manager.

SirAnderson

£200m is nowhere near enough to fix UTD. Plus, what about the 10 players RR suggested we need to buy this summer?

If UTD are not buying at least 7 players who will be instant starters this summer & spending well over £200m then I will be hugely disappointed.
This is the problem, not all players we look at need to cost a fortune. We have spent big money on FIFA players and the popular choice, but we need to become more clever in the market and identify players that aren't all hyped up and come with an immediate 50mil just for inquiring fee.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If Lacazette is available for free I'd say he'd be a good understudy to Ronaldo.

Shouldnt we focus on player who will make an impact and improve the team?

Devil81

Shouldnt we focus on player who will make an impact and improve the team?
Look I agree with that but we are going to lose a fair few players this summer, we can still buy quality but in other positions.

We'd still need another midfielder. I just think we need a few numbers given the outgoings.

Red Rash

This summer is going to be a pretty difficult one because we are going to lose a lot of players who are out of contract or leaving on a free. This will give us more space in the squad and save on wages but we won't have the transfer fee to reinvest.

As much as we would probably want to get rid of a lot of players the reality is changing 10 players is pretty tricky.

Definite Outs
  • Pogba
  • Lingard
  • Mata
  • Matic
  • Cavani
Players I'd be ok with leaving
  • Martial
  • Maguire
  • Henderson
  • Jones
Realistically this means that our priorities in the summer should CM (we need at least two), a wide forward, a striker and a CB. The other positions I think are less urgent although we need upgrades.

I really hope we try and fast track some of the youth players like Amad, Hannibal, Garnacho, Garner, Fernandez and Shoretire but obviously we don't really know how ready they are at this stage.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Do you think the club will simply bomb him out? Or work with him over a porlonged period of rehab and counselling?
Whatever United do or don’t do, the English public won’t be forgiving. I’d doubt very much that we will see him play for United again

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Look I agree with that but we are going to lose a fair few players this summer, we can still buy quality but in other positions.

We'd still need another midfielder. I just think we need a few numbers given the outgoings.
I prefer upcoming hungry players who might not be the finished article than more washed up dilusional players who cant be arsed. Time to abandon that transfer policy

Devil81

I prefer upcoming hungry players who might not be the finished article than more washed up dilusional players who cant be arsed. Time to abandon that transfer policy
I wouldn't call either washed up to be fair, Eriksen especially has a point to prove.

MDFC Manager

This summer is going to be a pretty difficult one because we are going to lose a lot of players who are out of contract or leaving on a free. This will give us more space in the squad and save on wages but we won't have the transfer fee to reinvest.

As much as we would probably want to get rid of a lot of players the reality is changing 10 players is pretty tricky.

Definite Outs
  • Pogba
  • Lingard
  • Mata
  • Matic
  • Cavani
Players I'd be ok with leaving
  • Martial
  • Maguire
  • Henderson
  • Jones
Realistically this means that our priorities in the summer should CM (we need at least two), a wide forward, a striker and a CB. The other positions I think are less urgent although we need upgrades.

I really hope we try and fast track some of the youth players like Amad, Hannibal, Garnacho, Garner, Fernandez and Shoretire but obviously we don't really know how ready they are at this stage.
The good thing is, the younger players will grasp Hag's playstyle much faster.

The stars are really aligning well!

davidmichael

Been saying this for weeks if not months that there is so many great free transfers out there that we could bring in 5 or 6 that could arguably get straight into our first team.

Rudiger, Mazraoui, Kamara, Eriksen, Dembele, Januzaj and Lacazette are just some of the names I’ve mentioned previously and all would add something that we don’t have yet badly need.

kelvinwong2026

we better spend the whole budget on 3 primary targets(70m each on average) rather than spread it over 6-7 compromise options.

crossy1686

career ending
Can you name some players who is available for below 50m ? Genuine question.
Varane, Jota, Upamecano, Donnarumma, Ferran Torres, Camavinga, Alba, Luiz Diaz, Depay, Guimaraes, Konate, Odegaard, Buendia, Cunha, Bentancur, Julian Alvarez, Trippier, Dan Burn.

All players that moved this season for under £50m. I can't state the current value of players but they're out there and they exist. Blowing our budget on 2 players every window just isn't going to cut it anymore and doesn't build a team.

Last edited:

atkar83

Why announce how much you're going to spend? What does this gain other than telling teams you're approaching to buy from that you have a lot of money to spend? Its idiotic. If anything say funds will be tight and maybe you'll save some money in purchase fees, no one needs to know your budget

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Varane, Jota, Upamecano, Donnarumma, Ferran Torres, Camavinga, Alba, Luiz Diaz, Depay, Guimaraes, Konate, Odegaard, Buendia, Cunha, Bentancur, Julian Alvarez, Trippier, Dan Burn.

All players that moved this season for under £50m. I can't state the current value of players but they're out there and they exist. Blowing our budget on 2 players every window just isn't going to cut it anymore and doesn't build a team.
That's one weird list to be honest.

While I agree with the narrative that not everything can be blown on rice, we also need quality on all areas. For e.g. If Tchouameni is available for 60m , you have to go for it. You don't reject a player like him because he is over 50m. It should be a combination of identifying the right ones and paying a premium. It shouldn't be mutually exclusive.