200m budget for this summer

Ahmer Baig

Reading various comments I see most people are inclined towards following:

Nunez or Nkunku, Anthony, Tchouameni or Kamara and Timber

Would not be a bad window if we manage to get these players.

Highfather_24

DDG, Heaton, Grant

RB, Dalot, Laird
CB, Lindelof
Varane, Maguire
Shaw, Fernandez

DM, Garner
CM, Fred, Mjebri
Bruno, VdB

RW, Elanga
Sancho, Rashford, Garnacho
Ronaldo, CF

We need six players at the minimum. We also probably need a new GK and some upgrades on other positions, but that can hold till future windows. Chelsea also had a 6 new players window recently.

RB - Mazraoui/Aarons
CB - Timber/Torres
DM - Kamara/Tchoumeni
CM - Ruiz/Milinkovic-Savic
RW - Raphinha/Antony
CF - Nkunku/Nunez

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Too good to pull it off. Without CL it might be difficult

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yes but are these GKs suited to how ten Hag wants to play? De Gea's distribution is awful, as well as his ability to sweep. I can't see this being compatible with what ten Hag wants. The same goes for Dean Henderson. That's why I think GK is a priority. We need to buy players aligned to an identity, not just on the basis of ability.
Henderson's sweeping ability seemed pretty good from what I've seen, as is his dominance of his area and communication with defenders. I don't think he had a long enough run in the side for me to comment either way on his distribution: it certainly didn't look as good as Allison or Ederson but they are probably in the top three in the world on that score with only Nueur being better

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Of course we won't attract players like Mbappe/Haaland but there's lots of players in the 2nd tier around the £40-60m range we could get that would want to come here with qualities like that of Mane, Jota, Firmino etc before they joined Liverpool. Nunez, Neves, Phillips, Timber, Pau Torres are some examples.
Haven't seen anything about Phillips wanting to stay at Leeds but if he doesn't come here it says more about how strong the Leeds/Man Utd rivalry is rather than Utd not being attractive.
that old trope: we've had leeds players before... lots of them. As it happens though, of all the players we've been linked to who I think could have changed things for us Mane is right up there so I agree with you on that and I've said we should have gone al out for Pau Torres ages ago but i think your figure of £40m-£60m might be a bit low.

As for Phillips' deal, there's this back in February
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/kalvin-phillips-new-leeds-contract-26153722

and this in The Athletic before that

https://theathletic.com/news/philli...f-rift-with-bielsa-are-nonsense/KPJ2a29lgS8A/

jesperjaap

Only really seen a fair bit of Kamara and Nkunku who are both good players.....but is it a good window?

Its not addressing some problem areas and its only four signings. Lets go back 12 months, we made three quality signings and still lots or problems in other areas of course.

There has to be 5/6 signing this summer as the minimum in my opinion to improve significantly, unless a couple of yougnsters can genuinely step up to being regular starters and not sure any are ready for that yet. I expect a couple of lower profile names this summer, we should be makig use of both Ten Hag/Ragnick and ther eknowledge of the two leagues they have come from

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
When one combine the players that won't fit into ETH system (AWB, Maguire, McT and co), the players who will leave (Mata, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, Periera and co) and the players who are too injury prone to be relied upon (Varane, Bailly, Jones and co) then I believe that we'll need at least 6-7 players to strengthen the side. My choice would be

CB: Timber (45m) and Rudiger (free)
LB: Tagliafico (free)
DM: Kamara (free) and Alvarez (30m): With Matic gone we basically have no DM. Alvarez know ETH system inside out while Kamara has great potential and is on free.
MC: Ruben Neves (35m)
STK: Nkunku (70m). I know he's more comfortable as AMC but he'll do well as a false 9, adding more bodies in midfield that we need. Nkunku can also play as RW, AMC and LW giving us options.

Estimated expenditure would be 170m which would drop thanks to us selling Henderson, Maguire, Shaw McT, Periera and hopefully Martial and Bailly as well.

GK: DDG, Heaton, some random kid

RB: AWB, Dalot, Laird
LB; Tagliafico, Telles
CB; Rudiger, Timber, Varane, Lindelof

DM: Kamara, Alvarez
MC: Neves, Fred
AMC: Bruno, VDB

AMR: Sancho, Greenwood
AML: Rashford, Elanga
STK: Nkunku, Ronaldo

Last edited:

Crick

Depends which paper you read - Manchester evening news below;

United won't receive a loan fee for Martial, but they were unwilling to allow the France forward to leave unless his salary was covered in full.

After several weeks of negotiations, Sevilla have now agreed to pay all of Martial's £240,000-a-week wage, having initially only offered to cover half of that salary.
Your both right. It's the difference between gross and net, with and without tax. Splitting the difference between the sources 145k net is about 247k gross with UK tax. We tax at 45%, I think Italy was at 10% for foreign footballers, Spain 54%, Germany 47.5%, France 55% (the rates do change). This is the reason in Europe they always quote for the total yearly amount without tax as the amount tax varies around Europe. The first article is about what Sevilla want to do from Spanish sources i.e. the amount without tax. The second article is from MEN about what their English source is saying. This always causes confusion plus there's always more with the difference between pounds and euros and the fact that UK journos always quote the highest possible figures when United are involved so they can write a story about how wasteful with money we are. This is always pointless as there is very little difference in the wage bills of us, City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Pre-Ronaldo and our bloated squad this year where we are projected to hit £380m all four of us are usually between £320-340m including tax.

It would be much easier if we just used the European method of annual salary without tax. So 145k would be £7.5m without tax. Therefore Sevilla would have paid £3.75m or €4.5m in wages for a 6 month loan and then paid tax on it to the Spanish tax office later. Per week is out of date but in England we live is the past and everything old is better. If we did per week in the 1950's when wages were paid in cash each week that's the way we need to show salary in 2022!

jesperjaap

Free SIgnings: Kamara - Romagnoli
Unearther talents (£5-10m) : Luca Netz - Martel - Bella-Kotchap
Value Signings (aound £20m) - Lukeba - Caqueret - Enzo Fernandez - Gusto - Ugogchukwu

SOme of these I know and rally like, some are just players seen linked that are cheaper.

My sentiment is I dont think 3/4 pretty big signings of £40-70m such as Nunez for example is the answer this summer window.

I really think we need five signings minimum, I feel six. If the budget is £200m thats about £33m per player as an average which isnt much. I feel we need at lest three players in our summer window to be of the ilk mentioned above and then maybe three players around the £40-50m mark.Its an absolutely huge wndow and I agree fully with Rangnick it isnt papering over the craxks with a2/3 tweaks regardless of quality, its open heart surgery and several incoming needed this summer. It shouldnt take five years to rebuild this side player wise, can be done in a couple of seasons, three max, so signing 2/3 isnt the answer, it wasnt last summer after all

BlueHaze

Even though we are going to miss out on CL there is actually a possibility there might me available funds near that region because a lot of players are on out going contracts and hopefully many will be sold. This frees up a lot of room from player wages and opens the way for many incoming players.

Red Rash

When one combine the players that won't fit into ETH system (AWB, Maguire, McT and co), the players who will leave (Mata, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Cavani, Periera and co) and the players who are too injury prone to be relied upon (Varane, Bailly, Jones and co) then I believe that we'll need at least 6-7 players to strengthen the side. My choice would be

CB: Timber (45m) and Rudiger (free)
LB: Tagliafico (free)
DM: Kamara (free) and Alvarez (30m): With Matic gone we basically have no DM. Alvarez know ETH system inside out while Kamara has great potential and is on free.
MC: Ruben Neves (35m)
STK: Nkunku (70m). I know he's more comfortable as AMC but he'll do well as a false 9, adding more bodies in midfield that we need. Nkunku can also play as RW, AMC and LW giving us options.

Estimated expenditure would be 170m which would drop thanks to us selling Henderson, Maguire, Shaw McT, Periera and hopefully Martial and Bailly as well.

GK: DDG, Heaton, some random kid

RB: AWB, Dalot, Laird
LB; Tagliafico, Telles
CB; Rudiger, Timber, Varane, Lindelof

DM: Kamara, Alvarez
MC: Neves, Fred
AMC: Bruno, VDB

AMR: Sancho, Greenwood
AML: Rashford, Elanga
STK: Nkunku, Ronaldo
Unless you know something I don't, we shouldn't really expect Greenwood to be available for us

Bestietom

We need a CB, RB, DM, CM, RW, and a CF, in this window. That's 6 players in, this summer, which is going to be near impossible with a budget of 120 million.
We need to sell players, but with the wages we pay, there ain't going to be many takers. Ten Hag is going to have a massive job ahead of him and will need help from Rangnick and scouts to find some bargains.

Lee565

I wouldn't mind the Brazilian midfielder that signed for Newcastle in January, the guy is pure class and seems to be carrying Newcastleup the table, if Newcastle don't qualify for champions league football next season he will be snapped up by a big club.

Corridor of Uncertainty

I wouldn't mind the Brazilian midfielder that signed for Newcastle in January, the guy is pure class and seems to be carrying Newcastleup the table, if Newcastle don't qualify for champions league football next season he will be snapped up by a big club.
The best Bruno in the league

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I would make De Ligt the absolute top priority. A good team starts from the back. De Ligt knows what Ten Hag expects and he'll be a great fit in the PL. He'll do better than in Serie A where they try to change him into an Italian defender. With Ten Hag I'm sure we'll see more of the old De Ligt.

He is the one that can lead this rebuild. I think he'll be up for it. He can do without CL for one or two seasons at his age for the opportunity to become the new leader of United. I think he's seen enough of Italy now and realise Juventus is a sinking ship or at least not seriously competing in CL anytime soon. Neither is United at this moment of course, but mid-term I think Uniteds potential exceeds Juve's.

For me he should be Uniteds priority target by a country mile. Other than that a modern RB should be the second target.

Other than that; don't be suprised if with ETH some players emerge/revive that are already written off (players like Fred, McT, Rashford, Donny, etc). Not all of them will, but two or three might just become quite valuable. I think Uniter has enough options to work with in midfield and attack. If I was ETH I'd first use pre season to find out who can be useful to him, before spending the complete transfer budget. Just have to ship off the likes of Maguire and Lindelof and get a few dimes for them. They are already useless and I highly doubt ETH can make them useful.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Anyone putting Greenwood in next year's squad is a) living in lala land and b) probably a twat. He's done here and good riddance when it comes.

Polar

Need more than £200m.

We need five players and I think we need the average to be closer to £50m than £40m.

£250m should be fine.

jesperjaap

Unless you know something I don't, we shouldn't really expect Greenwood to be available for us
Sadly, what happens with Greenwood is pivotal I think to our summer spend. Two areas we are weakest in are positions he can play and also two of the positions that generally would be expensive to fill.

As disgusting as all the social media stuff and accusations are, if there is no case to answer to....he does save us 25% of our summer spend at least as that is what it will probably cost to sign someone in those areas that we wouldnt need to if he comes back either as a striker or a winger.

His future here is a tough all if he isnt charged

jesperjaap

He is a good player with a fantastic attitude, but it is the honeymoon period.

There are lots of talented players at his former club with talent:

Personally though talented Paqueta and Auoar seemed to get most of the mentions when drawing West Ham recently.....but Caqueret who was injured is certainly someone should be of intest to us with his contract ending in a year, I think he is similar but better than Guimaraes.

Also really like Gusto as a right back option and Lukeba really impressed me at centre back too.

I think there is lots of huge talent in the French league we should be lookign at but not getting linked with any of them

jesperjaap

Something like:

LB Neto £10m
CB Timber £40m
RB Livaramento £35m
DM Kamara Free
CM Caqueret £25m
RW Antony £40m
CF Giouri £45m

I dont think we can spend a fortune on any one player or over £50m, unless we are only doing 3/4 signings.....and its open heart surgery as Rangnick calls it.

£200m doesnt get so much these days and seems a big spend, but net spend wise I dont think that would be huge. All the money saved on wages from the free transfers and I expect around £100m coming in on sales too...thats excluding Rashford/Maguire who could well go or next year anyway.

I think the likes of Rice/Bellingham would be ideal targets, but maybe if we rebuild well this summer we may be able to only have to do 3/4 signings next summer and spend big on such players. That is why I would be looking for value with our central midfield signings this summer.

Also frowhat I have read of Ten Hags system and stle of play, I think Kamara and Caqueret suit it. Kamara can sit and do the defensive duties, Caqueret is cpable of beign a midfield playmaker and also busrtign forward to help our AM when we are going forward. I think they are good options this summer.

I think Shaw needs genuine competition, Telles isnt that and Williams/Fernandez are not at the moment either. I think a real quality young player that can be moulded isnt a priority but Neto looks really talented and should be cheap.

I dont know a huge amount of Timber or Antony in all honesty. But they know the system and Timber also being able to play right back is a good option with Laird/Livaramento being young and inexperienced. I think Livaramento is a really promisign modern full back though, a rarirty of an attackin full bakc that can actually defend. Think he would be playing for Chelsea now if it wasnt for Reece James.

Regarding Antony, as mentioend dont know muc but it seems Ten Hag wants inverted wingers and Raphina I dont think will be cheap as I feel Leeds will stay up. I think Garnacho could be a great understudy option as he is let footed....where this leaves Amad/Pellestri is interesting as Sancho/Elanga should be good options if they can be drilled by a good coach and man manager. My personaly choice as a winger would be SUlemana without a doubt, but again its a right footed winger on the left.....so sadly not a priority just like Nkunku isnt either. And regarding Nkunku, as bad as Fernandes has been this season, I dont see Nkunku signing as viable there either when we also have Hannibal/VDB and even Fred can play the role....think within 18months Hannibal can make the role his own anyway

Up front dont think there will be interest in Giouri as isnt a prolific goalscorer or hold up man, but I love him as a player and think he can be a superstar here

Blood Mage

My dream window would be: Tchouameni, Frenkie De Jong, Pau Torres, Livramento and Jonathan David. I've already accepted the overwhelming likelihood that we won't get any of them though.

Ted Lasso

You know this as a fact right?
Accused of rape and battery with audio evidence. Unless there's some Johnny Depp type flip to this story it would be remarkable in the most awful way to see him playing for United again.

UTD_Since_1978

Accused of rape and battery with audio evidence. Unless there's some Johnny Depp type flip to this story it would be remarkable in the most awful way to see him playing for United again.
Last I heard his GF or Ex-GF is refusing to testify against him & the courts or police might just consider it a "domestic" more than an actual rape, you know how soft courts are nowadays & he sure as hell has the money to hire a top lawyer to keep his ass out of prison, which all points to UTD not willing to throw away a £50m+ asset, that's what I think at the moment anyway, right or wrong.

Nero

If he's not charged he'll be right back in the team.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Going by the journalist's speculated prices and assuming it's a hard 200M budget:

Defenders:
Pau Torres - 60M
Noussair Mazraoui (Free)

Midfielder:
Frenkie de Jong - 70M
Boubacar Kamara/ Corentin Tolisso (Free)

Forward:
Christopher Nkunku - 65M

BlueHaze

Going by the journalist's speculated prices and assuming it's a hard 200M budget:

Defenders:
Pau Torres - 60M
Noussair Mazraoui (Free)

Midfielder:
Frenkie de Jong - 70M
Boubacar Kamara/ Corentin Tolisso (Free)

Forward:
Christopher Nkunku - 65M
65M on Nkunku is way over the top. I see him mentioned on here often at absurd fees.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Just because they didn't have proof beyond reasonable doubt wouldn't be a good reason to pretend it didn't happen.
We will be finding out very soon if he's going to be charged. They applied for a temporary extension to review more evidence which I believe ran to the end of April if memory serves.

He will 100% be playing for us again if he's walks away with no charges. Whether he will ever be the same player again after all that though is another question.

If he's charged then he's finished for sure.

kode

Defenders:
Timber - 40M
Vanderson - 20 M

Midfielder:
Frenkie de Jong - 60M
Boubacar Kamara - Free

Forward:
Antony- 40
David - 40

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm not getting in to it mate, just pointing out what we know at the moment.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that...
There is plenty of evidence he's guilty. And getting away with a rape charge doesn't necessarily make you innocent.

EtH

Mazraoui free
Gvardiol 40m
Tchouaméni 60m
De Jong 70m
Nkunku 50m
De Ketelaere 30m

Wezzaldo

I see people mentioning De Jong. Haven’t both parties (FDJ and Barca) come out and say he’s pivotal and going nowhere?

As a first window, I can see:

Timber
Lamptey
Kamara
Anthony/Raphinha
Nkunku
and possibly another CM

One thing for certain it’s going to be a popcorn munching summer.

Josh 76

I see people mentioning De Jong. Haven’t both parties (FDJ and Barca) come out and say he’s pivotal and going nowhere?

As a first window, I can see:

Timber
Lamptey
Kamara
Anthony/Raphinha
Nkunku
and possibly another CM

One thing for certain it’s going to be a popcorn munching summer.
And the movie will be a big let down !