200m budget for this summer

Why announce how much you're going to spend? What does this gain other than telling teams you're approaching to buy from that you have a lot of money to spend? Its idiotic. If anything say funds will be tight and maybe you'll save some money in purchase fees, no one needs to know your budget
Because we just lost 4-0 and they need a PR spin.

Why announce how much you're going to spend? What does this gain other than telling teams you're approaching to buy from that you have a lot of money to spend? Its idiotic. If anything say funds will be tight and maybe you'll save some money in purchase fees, no one needs to know your budget

Our actual budget will be less than half of this.

It's a bit of PR spin to detract from the team being completely embarrassed yet again on Tuesday.

Because we just lost 4-0 and they need a PR spin.

Having ten Hag as your manager is the spin. Telling the world your budget just makes it harder to buy players when teams will try to make as much as they can. Maybe I just don't pay attention, but the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea don't announce their budgets do they? They just sign targets and at the end of the window, you calculate them all and say they spent XXXM dollars.

Isn't there loads of decent players out of contract this summer, Rudiger, Erkisen, Tarkowski, Kamara , etc, surely we are going to be sniffing around a few of these to beef up the quality, whilst not blowing whatever budget we have.

I'm hopeful things will be different this summer, but alarm bells will be ringing straight away if we start hearing we are going down the Rice and Kane route early on.

we better spend the whole budget on 3 primary targets(70m each on average) rather than spread it over 6-7 compromise options.

So just like before then ? Go for the big signings that never works instead of utilizing our scouting network overseas and find some great value ? Remember we need a whole new team with hungry talent. If our budget is 200 mill i would spread that over 5 new signings this summer.

That's one weird list to be honest.

While I agree with the narrative that not everything can be blown on rice, we also need quality on all areas. For e.g. If Tchouameni is available for 60m , you have to go for it. You don't reject a player like him because he is over 50m. It should be a combination of identifying the right ones and paying a premium. It shouldn't be mutually exclusive.
Of course but they have to be the right fit for the new manager and the way he wants to play, not "let's sign Kane because he's good" approach we've had

Agree with you 100% that we have spent enough to be in a better position we in right now, which speaks to how poorly we've used the funds, as we have like 3 small trophies to show for it which is abysmal.

But as you say, ETH will be given enough funds to get the team in the shape he wants it. I do think it will be over the 3 years but this first year will be important, with so many possibly going, it will make a big gap for players to come in.

So while 200mil sounds fair in terms of the market value it all depends on the type of player we looking for (Galacticos/big star names, or rather developing under the radar players). If its more of the same, then 200mil is probably too little even, but we need a change of approach and also stop letting club fleece us in negotiations, thanks to Woodwards "We can do things other clubs only dream of" nonsense. From then the War Chest became a thing every season and every manager.
From outgoings alone, it feels like we'll need 5/6. And they have to be ready to slot into the squad, preferably the first team even.

I really hope we avoid the textbook marquee signing also. I guess the yearly spend will depend on the length of this project. I guess something like £400-500m over a few seasons is what we're looking at.

I guess the challenge for ETH with the funds he will have this summer, is to look at the current squad and say "Do I have enough to work with right now so that I can focus on only 3/4 targets with my budget". Or is the situation so dire that he's gonne be there with his £200m (or whatever it is) thinking; "Damn, I need as many players as possible this summer."

While I don't want your Maguire, Sancho, Pogba type deals at all, I hope we don't go bottom picking in the bargain bin either. I'm thinking signings in the £30-50m range that are right on the edge of going from quality to top-quality. I think that's where you find the best value (if you get it right of course). Mainly because I think most of our signings and going to need to come in and hit the ground running. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury to be Liverpool and be patient until Keita or Jota are ready to bedded in slowly.

Still though, if we're smart, £200m is a lot. Mahrez, Kante, Fabinho, Salah, Mane, Ziyech, KDB, B. Silva, Chilwell, Jota... Clearly I'm cherry-picking here, but these guys were still "expensive" I guess, but have been excellent value for money. Imagine picking 4/5 from that list to put in our current squad (at the time they we're bought).

Looks like this transfer window is going to be super interesting one way or another.

I know right so today.I read Daily Mail 20mil, Times 120mil, Mirror 200mil, Sport (whoever they are) 300mil and Guardian says no big budget.
It’ll be about 120. We always have around 120 available. We also have a lot of outgoings, yes on frees but that means a lot of wages off the bill that could equally be moved into the transfer budget.

Having ten Hag as your manager is the spin. Telling the world your budget just makes it harder to buy players when teams will try to make as much as they can. Maybe I just don't pay attention, but the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea don't announce their budgets do they? They just sign targets and at the end of the window, you calculate them all and say they spent XXXM dollars.

Telling the world we have £200m isn’t exactly going to cause everyone to try and fleece us as £200m isn’t really a huge amount in the current market, and everyone is aware we will need to sign 6-7 players with that budget to have a realistic chance of competing. It’s not just that our players aren’t good enough but also that we will have a number of squad players leaving the club this Summer.

You think a lot of players will turn down United and megabucks :lol:
I do, yes. Halaand already has. It sounds as if Phillips would prefer to stay at Leeds (I'd prefer Rice but I get the feeling he' d prefer Chelsea). Those are two areas we desperately need to strengthen

Just please - no has beens. No one older then 30. No superstars.

We are not a team missing "one good forward" to compete.
We're a team that's missing a lot more then that.

And please, for the love of god, make a psychology report on anyone coming in.
I don't want to look at another sulking mthrfecker who doesn't want to be here.

I'm pretty much expecting us to be "linked with" pretty much every player in the game!

It'll be about £120m net spend considering we did nothing in January IMO. So maybe like £150m total before sales.

And United need a minimum of 5 players of starting XI quality in that. Or younger players on the cusp. So we're looking some shrewd business bringing players in around the £30m mark.

Agree to no marquee names. We need to add players with the right mentality and hunger around the current marquee talents (Varane, Fernandes, Sancho) and hope they shine more in a more determined team.

Defence and midfield has to be absolute priority. Our current defending when teams attack us is not fit for purpose. We crumble even under threat from the mighty Norwich.

a centre half and 2 central midfielders urgently needed.. having lost greenwood, cavani leaving, Rashford bereft of all confidence and Ronaldo future debatable we look to also need 2 strikers as well as recall Martial.
After that buy a LFB and sell AWB.

I'm more focused on the exits tbh... Martial, Telles, AWB, Henderson, Williams, Tuanzebe, should nett us northwards of 100mill

Wages of Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Matic should save us a few quid too.

I think Rice, Nunez, Neves and Timber and it would be a good summer. We need to improve in midfield massively, Rice and Neves give you that control and class.

With Laird, Garner and DVB back into the first team squad too.

De gea, Heaton

Dalot, Laird, Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Timber, Shaw, Menghi,Bailly,

Neves, Rice, Mctominay, VDB, Garner, Fred, Bruno, Mjebri

Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford, Nunez, Elanga, Garnacho, Pellestri

Media is playing it up again. They don't know how much we have to spend, but with what we need it could be more than this.

I've just called up the United office, introducing myself as a reporter, and asked if they could confirm the transfer budget for this summer, and they hung up on me! I'm pretty upset since they seem to be telling every other media outlet that asks. I must have worded it wrong.

I do, yes. Halaand already has. It sounds as if Phillips would prefer to stay at Leeds (I'd prefer Rice but I get the feeling he' d prefer Chelsea). Those are two areas we desperately need to strengthen
Of course we won't attract players like Mbappe/Haaland but there's lots of players in the 2nd tier around the £40-60m range we could get that would want to come here with qualities like that of Mane, Jota, Firmino etc before they joined Liverpool. Nunez, Neves, Phillips, Timber, Pau Torres are some examples.
Haven't seen anything about Phillips wanting to stay at Leeds but if he doesn't come here it says more about how strong the Leeds/Man Utd rivalry is rather than Utd not being attractive.

We could have got Boubacar Kamara in the summer for 10million but we wouldn't buy because of a new manger coming in the summer. Maybe we could have got that 4th place with him in the team.
Kamara is on a free transfer now and there will be loads of takers,

Are you having a laugh GK. We have 2 very good keepers its CB and RB that we really struggle in.
Yes but are these GKs suited to how ten Hag wants to play? De Gea's distribution is awful, as well as his ability to sweep. I can't see this being compatible with what ten Hag wants. The same goes for Dean Henderson. That's why I think GK is a priority. We need to buy players aligned to an identity, not just on the basis of ability.

Martial, Telles, AWB, Henderson, Williams, Tuanzebe, should nett us northwards of 100mill

Martial - £20m?
Telles - £12m?
AWB - £25m?
Henderson - £15m?
Williams - £8m
Tuanzebe - £8m

Thats 88million = and thats if you can get takers for Martial, which I doubt given that he's on £275k per week (rumoured).

Martial - £20m?
Telles - £12m?
AWB - £25m?
Henderson - £15m?
Williams - £8m
Tuanzebe - £8m

Thats 88million = and thats if you can get takers for Martial, which I doubt given that he's on £275k per week (rumoured).

We'll have to basically give Martial away, because his wages are so utterly ludicrous. I don't think anyone is paying £25m for AWB, either.

I'd guess our budget is around £75m, plus whatever we can recoup in sales (probably another £40m or so).

We'll have to basically give Martial away, because his wages are so utterly ludicrous. I don't think anyone is paying £25m for AWB, either.

I'd guess our budget is around £75m, plus whatever we can recoup in sales (probably another £40m or so).
Our budget is "about £120m" without sales as per Paul Hirst so we're probably looking at £170-180m gross once sales are made
No chance it would be just £75m when we always spend without CL football

How long left on his contract? Basically all those players on high wages we will have to fund their remaining wages at their new club. Which is pretty common but the way we like to hoard players, seems to be something we don’t tend to do a lot.

Martial - £20m?
Telles - £12m?
AWB - £25m?
Henderson - £15m?
Williams - £8m
Tuanzebe - £8m

Rumours Newcastle are willing to pay 40m for Henderson, plus lots of clubs want Bailly, could get 20m or more for him.

really surprised De Ligt hasn't been linked yet, considering he would be open for a move, and I think he probably would be open to joining Ten Hag at United, one of the few clubs who could actually afford him and his agent.

Then again he's just like a better, younger Maguire in terms of style, so I guess it wouldn't make sense because you couldn't play them together probably.

So nvm

really surprised De Ligt hasn't been linked yet, considering he would be open for a move, and I think he probably would be open to joining Ten Hag at United, one of the few clubs who could actually afford him and his agent.

Then again he's just like a better, younger Maguire in terms of style, so I guess it wouldn't make sense because you couldn't play them together probably.

So nvm
Saw a link today actually. But the bigger question is would he be open to leaving Juve and would Juve be open to selling him?

Rumours Newcastle are willing to pay 40m for Henderson, plus lots of clubs want Bailly, could get 20m or more for him.

Bite Newcastles hand off! As for Bailey - injuries have really hampered his career - he is a car crash waiting to happen but then again all our CBs are!!

I think we'll keep Martial. ETH did a great job with Tadic and Haller - he may be able to get a tune out of Martial.
I dont think we'll be finding many buyers for Martial this summer unless basiclly pay someone to take him off our hands.
If Rashford goes to Arsenal, Cavanni goes home, Ronaldo goes back to his homeworld and Greenwood goes to prison - then we are light up top!

I think the club will have to supplement transfers with some ”free” transfers…wages will be high for the free signings but there is plenty of space in the wage budget, especially if Ronaldo leaves.

Dybala, O. Dembele, Kamara, Zagado can each supplement spending on transfers in other positions.

Realistically we will sign
a DM (Philips or Kamara)
a ST (Nkunku)
a CB (Timber or Pau torres)
a Backup GK (if henderson leaves)
a promising FB

Martial, Donny, Amad will be recalled.

Hannibal, Garner will be promoted to first team.

De gea

Dalot
Timber
Varane
Shaw

Kamara
Bruno
Fred

Sancho
Nkunku
Ronaldo

Arsenal bought 4-5 players for 154million quid and nobody ever heard of any of them besides the relegation king, Ramsdale.
But he turned out to be brill.

Social media made it up and we are having fun in the imagination. Don't be so serious :p

Why on earth would people even entertain bringing Martial back and playing him..........

Bonkers

Depends which paper you read - Manchester evening news below;

United won't receive a loan fee for Martial, but they were unwilling to allow the France forward to leave unless his salary was covered in full.

After several weeks of negotiations, Sevilla have now agreed to pay all of Martial's £240,000-a-week wage, having initially only offered to cover half of that salary.