2010 UEFA European Under-17 Championship

datura

Wickham could have had a hat trick today, missed 2 one-on-ones. He's an impressive player though, very strong, quick and direct and decent technique. You can see why there's so much interest in him.

datura

Far more open 2nd half, and all the better for it. Gerard misses a great opportunity to equalise from a Butland parry.

I still don't really see why Morrison and Tunnicliffe didn't make it into the squad, or Aneke at Arsenal.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
How is Will Keane playing?

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
The thing that I like about Keane is that, despite being a striker, he's very tidy and calm and controlled on the ball, which is something that every other England player, probably apart from Josh McEachran, are not.

Both he and Benik Afobe are sacrificed in this England team, in many respects, as neither are entirely comfortable in the two forward positions that they have been employed in.

Decotron

The thing that I like about Keane is that, despite being a striker, he's very tidy and calm and controlled on the ball, which is something that every other England player, probably apart from Josh McEachran, are not.
Both he and Benik Afobe are sacrificed in this England team, in many respects, as neither are entirely comfortable in the two forward positions that they have been employed in.
He reminds me of Sheringham albeit a tad more mobile.

The way he addresses the ball, his finishing and his vision are very like a young sheringham

vanthaman

Winner
i turn it on thinking ill watch the final 7 minutes, and its full time, cant believe they only play 80 minutes

oh well, well done boys :)

Ekeke

Very well defended overall, particularly the 15 year old from Chelsea Chelaba(?) and Butland in goal. Spain found it difficult to create goalscoring chances from inside the box and the shots from just outside it were well saved by the keeper or blocked by an England player.

Extremely lucky on the penalty call. But done enough to deserve to win the match.

Ekeke

Gerrard looks a talent.

Well done England!
He is, but I'm not sure why they put him on the left. He's been very effective in this tournament on the right wing, with Jese Rodriguez working down the left hand side. And between them they have supplied Paco Alcacer with the chances to finish the tournament with 6 goals in 5 matches.

But with Gerrard on the left, Paco never really got his chance to finish. I also credit the England defensive performances, but I wouldnt have messed with Gerrard playing down the right wing.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
That's it FT.

Well done England, not sure if the best side won mind but credit nevertheless.
I'd agree with that. Unfortunately, in both the semi-final and the final, we saw a fairly typical performance by England (at all levels). Whether it's mentality or technical inferiority — I'd argue a bit of both, as well as a lack of tactical discipline — we are rarely able to reproduce the performances in games where there is little or no pressure in the biggest matches.

To be fair, it's certainly not easy, but as we saw with Spain, despite losing the match, that was Spain that we saw today in the final, whereas I'm not so sure that it was the same England that we saw in the early part of the tournament.

It's tempting to say, who cares, we won, but I'm not so naive as to think that we can be successful on a regular basis when the performances in the games that matter so often lack tactical and technical proficiency.

Ekeke

So, in 10 years time how many of this lot will be playing for the England 1st team?
Maybe 2. Your CB Chelaba and maybe the keeper Butland.

The fuss about McEachran is going over the top, but thats mainly due to one, insane, poster. He's a good player but I wouldnt be surprised if we have better in 10 years time. We do tend to produce plenty of central midfielders. Same with Will Keane, good player but wouldnt be surprised if we had better options up front in 10 years time.

For a 15 year old CB to be playing in the final and be probably the man of the match says that he's probably going to be as good a young defender as we're going to produce and has every chance of being a starter in the years to come if he works hard. The keeper Butland also looked good and we havent had many good ones recently. So he has a good chance of making it too.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
On that day England lined up like this: Chris Day (Tottenham Hotspur), Gary Neville (Manchester United), Kevin Sharp (Leeds United), Darren Caskey (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Casper (Manchester United), Sol Campbell (Tottenham Hotspur), Mark Tinkler (Leeds United), Julian Joachim (Leicester City), Paul Scholes (Manchester United), Robbie Fowler (Liverpool)
Last England squad to win the U-17 world cup, some of the best players in the premiership era are there

Scholesy

The fuss about McEachran is going over the top, but thats mainly due to one, insane, poster. He's a good player but I wouldnt be surprised if we have better in 10 years time. We do tend to produce plenty of central midfielders.
If you do not see anything special about McEachran, then you are insane.

Ekeke

If you do not see anything special about McEachran, then you are insane.
"Special" for an English player, or "Special" in general?

Unsurprisingly, his touch and technique is good for an English player. No more impressive than Keane's however McEachran has some good dribbling skills too.

And thats it. Good player, but Gerrard and Jese have much more technical ability than he does. And considering thats what you're no doubt wanking yourself silly over, its a bit stupid when there are several other players at the tournament with a much higher level of technical quality.

Scholesy

"Special" for an English player, or "Special" in general?

Unsurprisingly, his touch and technique is good for an English player. No more impressive than Keane's however McEachran has some good dribbling skills too.

And thats it. Good player, but Gerrard and Jese have much more technical ability than he does. And considering thats what you're no doubt wanking yourself silly over, its a bit stupid when there are several other players at the tournament with a much higher level of technical quality.
Special in general. A future star in Europe, the type of player that gets named in people's fantasy XIs. I would score McEachran 100/100 for technique.