2011 Women's World Cup

championo

Top Stalker
Sorry to say this, but this win means more to Japan than it will have meant to the USA. I am talking about Country wise.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
We did our best England impression there. Bottling it on penalties. The first 3 were miserable attempts.

championo

Top Stalker
I haven't really followed the WWC, but Hope Solo bottled it - or she just isn't very good.
Over hyped. She saves what she is supposed to, but nothing more. Never got the hype. A good keeper is VDS, he saves those he is supposed to and those he has not business saving.

Just too many chances messed up by the USA

Cal?

CR7 fan
Right. Saving 1 out of 4 pens and nearly getting a second is awful. Had nothing to do with her teammates missing three straight.
Actually, only 1 of them MISSED, the Japanese keeper saved the other 2.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
some of the worst penalty kicks I have ever seen.

but that last minute foul by the Japanese player to get herself sent off reminded of that Suarez incident.

all in all. Japan needs some joy for all the misery they have suffered.

USA really should not have copied rafa's long ball tactics.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I haven't really followed the WWC, but Hope Solo bottled it - or she just isn't very good.
If you had, you'd realize that she's the best keeper in the competition. Besides, she almost saved a second. The fault lies in the US takers, not the keeper. Solo saved 2(one retaken) penalties against Brazil.

Cal?

CR7 fan
some of the worst penalty kicks I have ever seen.

but that last minute foul by the Japanese player to get herself sent off reminded of that Suarez incident.

all in all. Japan needs some joy for all the misery they have suffered.

USA really should not have copied rafa's long ball tactics.
Hardly the same, Suarez saved a sure goal, the Japanese player stopped a chance.

Cal?

CR7 fan
it was as good as a winner. Morgan would have scored.

but I will give you that.
Based on the finishing we saw during the 120min, I can't agree it was as good as a winner.

But never mind...

Pronewbie

Peep
If you had, you'd realize that she's the best keeper in the competition. Besides, she almost saved a second. The fault lies in the US takers, not the keeper. Solo saved 2(one retaken) penalties against Brazil.
Didn't follow the the WWC, unfortunately. I only know that she is extremely sexy.

When we look at averages we'd say she did a good job. But the first could have been dealt with much better, and the one where she got her hand to the ball - well it was a good dive, but the butter fingers...

I guess maybe sometimes things just don't work out for you. Just like the goals she conceeded. One from shambolic defending and the other which was a deflection.

I've heard a bit about her heroics but she didn't look commanding/confident in the shoot-out at all. In fact, like I mentioned, the USA didn't look comfortable with penalties.

P.S. While I was typing the above, Brazil and Paraguay just missed their 1st penalty.

mjs020294

Entertaining game, and good to see the Japanese having something to cheer about this year.