2017 Pre Season | Sampdoria vs Manchester United

Hojoon

SAMPDORIA (4-3-1-2): Puggioni; Sala, Silvestre, Regini, Murru; Linetty, Torreira, Verre; Alvarez, Caprari, Quagliarella
There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Close to 10 years ago I was watching Serie A highlights on TV at night and he seems to have a habit of scoring screamers, and has a fun name to pronounce.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Back to boring 4-3-3? Seems so. I wish we went for 3-5-2, players seem to enjoy themselves more…

Nick7

Mad how a few years back people were crying for us to stop playing 3-5-2.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Line-ups according to La Gazzetta dello Sport

MAN UTD (4-2-3-1) 20 Romero; 24 Fosu-Mensah, 2 Lindelof, 16 Carrick, 36 Darmian; 21 Herrera, 6 Pogba; 22 Mkhitaryan, 8 Mata, 11 Martial; 9 Lukaku. All. Mourinho.
SAMPDORIA (4-3-1-2) 1 Puggioni; 22 Sala, 26 Silvestre, 19 Regini, 20 Pavlovic; 16 Linetty, 34 Torreira, 8 Barreto; 18 Praet; 9 Caprari, 27 Quagliarella

Marco Giampaolo (Sampdoria's manager) is very motivated because he's 50 today

Dazzmondo

MAN UTD (4-2-3-1) 20 Romero; 24 Fosu-Mensah, 2 Lindelof, 16 Carrick, 36 Darmian; 21 Herrera, 6 Pogba; 22 Mkhitaryan, 8 Mata, 11 Martial; 9 Lukaku. All. Mourinho.
SAMPDORIA (4-3-1-2) 1 Puggioni; 22 Sala, 26 Silvestre, 19 Regini, 20 Pavlovic; 16 Linetty, 34 Torreira, 8 Barreto; 18 Praet; 9 Caprari, 27 Quagliarella

Marco Giampaolo (Sampdoria's manager) is very motivated because he's 50 today
Carrick at cb is weird. Don't see why we would do that when we have options at cb. Even if we need a sub for Super Cup and 1st CL game I think most would be happier with Tuanzebe than pushing Carrick back there. Strange if Valencia doesn't start yet again. Could use some extra minutes before Madrid. The rest looks good.

Grande

There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Close to 10 years ago I was watching Serie A highlights on TV at night and he seems to have a habit of scoring screamers, and has a fun name to pronounce.
Like Darren Huckerby, Fabio Quagliarella has not so much been a great goal scorer as a scorer of great goals.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Weird line-up.

Carrick play CB?

------------Romero---------------

TFM--Carrick--Lindelof--Darmian

Or is it actually 3-5-2?
4-2-3-1 according to the journalist, Carrick CB.

Web of Bissaka

Either one of...
  • La Gazzetta dello Sport is just speculating, or
  • Jose is trolling for a last minute change line-up, or
  • Mourinho is seriously underestimating Sampdoria's attacking threat, or
  • The Boss doesn't rate Smalling, Blind and Tuanzebe to partner-up with Lindelof for the next Super Cup, or
  • Experimenting new back-up tactics and formation with Carrick at CB.
I think it's for the last one, now that Matic is here, in some games against park-the-bus teams, Carrick at CB can be useful for some period during that game (eg. some games last season). In addition, it can be a preparation in case most of our CBs suddenly AWOL.

:lol: I'll wait for further news~

AXVnee7

Nice kick off time. This is it, the final game of the pre-season tour. After that it's down to the serious business. The summer has absolutely flown by... can't wait for the league to get back underway but first the Super Cup!

Tomorrow should be about playing the final team as we have a week to rest before the actual event. I wouldn't blame Jose for sticking to what he's done so far though and rotating.

sully1

would like to see Matic get a half or even 60 minutes.

Mata and Herrera should have a long run out to develop fitness.

I would save Pogba Baily and Rashford for the super cup as they've played alot in the pre season so wouldnt mid them sitting this match out.

sully1

Mad how a few years back people were crying for us to stop playing 3-5-2.
The media won't give him credit but Van Gaal brought back 3-5-2 to English football in the season he signed Di Maria and falcao and the press slated him for playing "80's football" according to them especially the pundits on MOTD and since that season every team that won the league has played 3-5-2 :lol:

Vaan Gaal was a visionary manager had he gotten another season he would have made Martial and Shaw into top top players like he did at Barca, Bayern and Ajax the man had en eye for creating world class footballers.

OohAahMartial

The media won't give him credit but Van Gaal brought back 3-5-2 to English football in the season he signed Di Maria and falcao and the press slated him for playing "80's football" according to them especially the pundits on MOTD and since that season every team that won the league has played 3-5-2 :lol:

Vaan Gaal was a visionary manager had he gotten another season he would have made Martial and Shaw into top top players like he did at Barca, Bayern and Ajax the man had en eye for creating world class footballers.
I thought Chelsea played 3-4-3. Seems a very different system to me.

Eddy_JukeZ

Leicester played a 3 back system?

They played a basic 442.

And Chelsea's system wasn't really like LVG's United.

el3mel

Sorry to ay but this is nonsense. Conte system was 3-4-3 and it isn't 80s football as Juve was applying it for years and even Pep used it multiple times with Bayern. The system LVG terribly applied was different and, well, terrible and a disgrace to compare it to what Conte applied last season. The guy doesn't deserve any credit.

khoazany

Mitchell played for the U23s yesterday vs. Oldham so won't be in the squad. Tuanzebe and McTominay should be there.

barmyarmy

Mitchell played for the U23s yesterday vs. Oldham so won't be in the squad. Tuanzebe and McTominay should be there.
I feel Jose doesn't rate mitchell as higher as Mctominay atm. With shaw out injured I hope he is given chance

Web of Bissaka

Nope.

Mourinho's Chelsea 4-2-3-1, then Ranieri's Leicester 4-4-2, and finally Conte's Chelsea 3-4-3.

Contemporary years, in English Football, ya in 2014, LVG is the first one that used 3-at-the-back formation (3-5-2) but failed and everyone abhors and forgets it.

Instead, about 2-3 years later, I would say Conte is the one that started the somewhat trend *not really* in EPL (mind that he used the system a lot with his previous clubs). He used the different system 3-4-3 with Chelsea to a very high effective and impressive degree, which prompt Mourinho to use similar formation 3-5-2 to counter it most effectively in few games and Wenger to adopted similar 3-4-3 formation in many games.

Natener

Erm... The game's still half a day away. Where's the lineup coming from?

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Back at work tomorrow so this is a nice time in the evening to watch a match.

Web of Bissaka

ROMERO RECALLS FOND SAMPDORIA MEMORIES

Sergio Romero has been recalling his time at former club Sampdoria ahead of Manchester United's pre-season friendly against the Italian club in Dublin.

The Argentinian goalkeeper spent four seasons with the Genoa-based outfit, who currently play in Italy's top-flight Serie A, between 2011 and 2015, punctuated by a brief loan spell at Monaco in 2013/14.

The Reds conclude a successful Tour 2017, presented by Aon, against Sampdoria at the Aviva Stadium on Wednesday (kick-off 19:45 BST). In an interview with MUTV, Romero had nothing but positive things to say about his old employers and revealed that he still has connections with the club and city.

“I played for Sampdoria for four years and it was four incredible years of my life,” he said. “Where, until this day, I have a lot of friends in Genoa, which is the city, and, in the club, the doctor and the manager, who handles all the team logistics, he's a great friend of mine.

“I also have team-mates who played with me while I was there and who are still great friends. In general, my wife and daughters have lived four fantastic years where we have left a lot of great friends.”

As he cast his mind back to his own experiences in Italy, Romero feels Sampdoria are a big club, steeped in tradition and history, and is confident we will soon see them on the main European stage once again.

“They are a club with a lot of history,” he explained. “It's a club that has won titles in Italy and that has a great fan base. The stadium, Marassi, is an incredible stadium when Sampdoria play at home.

“I have amazing memories of my games there, of the fans packing the stadium, supporting and chanting since the first minute so that Sampdoria win. I think that, if they continue on the same line they've been on in the last years, we will surely soon see Sampdoria in a Europa League competition.”

It's a match that Romero is looking forward to and the 30-year-old, who recently signed a new contract at Old Trafford, also thinks it will be a good exercise for his former club in front of United's passionate supporters in Ireland.

“I think that it will be a nice match because it will be a good game for Sampdoria to play and to be able to measure its quality against Manchester United,” he added. “We know that we have a lot of fans in Dublin and we hope to be able to give them a great match because they will surely pack the stadium. We hope to be able to show our fans in Dublin that we want to fight for all the competitions that Manchester will play this year.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...-Manchester-United-friendly-in-Dublin.aspx?AL

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I feel Jose doesn't rate mitchell as higher as Mctominay atm. With shaw out injured I hope he is given chance
Not sure Mitchell is ready yet either TBH. Needs to work on his positioning and strength, seems a bit light weight. Certainly got great potential though, but no need to throw him in deep water

barmyarmy

Not sure Mitchell is ready yet either TBH. Needs to work on his positioning and strength, seems a bit light weight. Certainly got great potential though, but no need to throw him in deep water
Definitely needs to work on his positioning against valegerena he was caught ball watching and they created best opening of the match against us. Before we go on to buy a new LB if shaw doesn't work out this summer we should keep give a chance to him and Jose should work closely with him and help him in improving his defensive abilities.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definitely needs to work on his positioning against valegerena he was caught ball watching and they created best opening of the match against us. Before we go on to buy a new LB if shaw doesn't work out this summer we should keep give a chance to him and Jose should work closely with him and help him in improving his defensive abilities.
Yeah I like his attacking play, just needed to make a few quicker decisions against Valerenga. He's definitely a modern fullback though, just needs a bit more practise to be first choice. I would happily use him against the weaker teams.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Gutted to miss it, my mates were kind enough to send me pic's of their first Guinness' of the day; should be a cracking day.

WhoDaGOAT

"442 is dead" on the Caf > numerous European clubs go on to use 442, or variations of it, successfully.
Numerous? I count Atlético, Leicester and sometimes Juventus. And City used it under Pellegrini.

It's a formation that can easily be exploited against. It also required an incredible stamina levels in midfield.

Turamb

According to MEN, Romero, Lingard and Mitchell didn't travel.
De Gea and Valencia are back after missing last match.

WhoDaGOAT

Because the midfield two are often outnumbered.

Giggs, Beckham, Keane (huge stamina levels)

Kanté, Albrigton and Okazaki (huge stamina levels)

Gabi, Tiago, Koke and Saúl (huge stamina levels)