2018 PGA and Golf in General

Carolina Red

Staff
Mine has a tendency to fly high and right, I'm far more accurate with the 3 wood which also flies for miles but I'm an idiot so still hit the driver too often.
Dude... I went to the range today for the first time since wrestling season started back in November.

I hit the ball more flush than I ever have AND out of 100 balls hit at least 50 draws, 25 dead straight, and 25 barely faded. This was across every club in the bag.

I’ve no clue what not hitting a ball all winter did for me, but holy shit I’ll take it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Dude... I went to the range today for the first time since wrestling season started back in November.

I hit the ball more flush than I ever have AND out of 100 balls hit at least 50 draws, 25 dead straight, and 25 barely faded. This was across every club in the bag.

I’ve no clue what not hitting a ball all winter did for me, but holy shit I’ll take it.
:lol: I'll try and get to the range this weekend and see how it works for me!

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC

I know what you mean, i hit shots like a pro on the range, it's such a shame i then have to play on the actual course

SteveTheRed

:lol: know that feeling, went to the range last night for the first time this year and was very pleased with the results!

Playing a round this weekend so I hope it wasn't just a range fling

Carolina Red

Staff
:lol: know that feeling, went to the range last night for the first time this year and was very pleased with the results!

Playing a round this weekend so I hope it wasn't just a range fling
Same! I’d literally never hit a ball that went right to left in my life so I kinda stood there awstruck for a few seconds when it happened.

diarm

This always happens me after I haven't played in a few months. I go out and hit the ball like a god!

Then I go out full of confidence the next time and slice every single drive a hundred yards right. It happens every time and it's the most frustrating thing in the world!

Golf was invented by the devil to make us hate ourselves.

Lj82

This always happens me after I haven't played in a few months. I go out and hit the ball like a god!

Then I go out full of confidence the next time and slice every single drive a hundred yards right. It happens every time and it's the most frustrating thing in the world!

Golf was invented by the devil to make us hate ourselves.

I feel you :(

Zen

Not for me....gone from 124 to 104 to 92 in my first three rounds. Love a solid 5 months without a swing, all my courses boggy at the moment still too. Pain in the ass.

slyadams

This is actually not uncommon. When you haven’t played for a while you tend to be stiffer, swing a lot more within yourself and perhaps focus on one swing thought. You play well then get confident, start analysing etc. and everything gets loose and over complicated and so you decline.

Gee Male

Crazy set up in fairness, definitely the least enjoyable major to watch because of how they set the course up.

cyberman

I've never seen a player get so many breaks from wayward shots than Jordan Spieth.
When his luck evens out he is fecked!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
These two stunk up the Players in the first round too if I recall? Still, a lot of strokes to make up.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Crazy set up in fairness, definitely the least enjoyable major to watch because of how they set the course up.
I completely disagree. It's the best spectacle for me. The courses they play on week in/ week out are easy for them. It's good to see how they handle a really difficult set up. Some top players simply can't handle a proper US open set up.

Zen

US Open......on World Cup opening day? Do they plan these changes?

Gee Male

I completely disagree. It's the best spectacle for me. The courses they play on week in/ week out are easy for them. It's good to see how they handle a really difficult set up. Some top players simply can't handle a proper US open set up.
I agree that a lot of courses are set up too soft, and that there is no harm in seeing them struggle a bit, but there isn't as much enjoyment for me in watching the misery here as there is in seeing them being able to attack a course and chase flags.

I play golf, I'm ok at it, I would not enjoy playing Shinnecock Hills in that setup. Zero craic.

Zen

Rory not even gonna make day 2 at this rate. Holy hell.

Love the US when it's this tough. It's what it's all about.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Arguably the best set up in golf, requires more cerebral play than bomb and gouge.

This iteration of Shinnecock is less tame than 1986, 1995, and 2004. Fairways were twenty three yards wide on average in the last three US Opens at SH, they are now roughly 38 yards wide. The thinning out of trees to make the wind more of a factor mitigates the fairway cushion.

The USGA let the course get away from them in 2004 as they thought rain would materialize early in the week, but didn’t. They actually had to water greens during play after the early groups played through the biggest culprit, the 7th. green. That was unheard of to do. Now all of SH’s green complexes have been rebuilt and the strain of grass will help keep moisture on the greens as wind-exposed green complexes can dry out in a matter of minutes. The whole course is less penal than in the past.

Par should always come into play in majors, thankfully it seems like it will be this week.

Tarrou

Logged into my bet365 to put some bets on and found I already had a bet on Rose at 20/1. I must’ve accidentally bet on the open back when the Masters was on

Kag

I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Berger holds the overnight lead at +3 by the end of today's play. The back nine is a circus and they've lost the greens.

The only afternoon player level par is Stenson and he's holing from all over the place. I'm not sure it will be sustainable.

I have no problems with the first cut being the way it is, but the greens are too firm given the wind.

StuCol

Chimp
Noone talking about Phil? Scummy move and scummy attitude.
Really not sure how he's not been DQ there

That's just giving a green light to that behaviour.

On a slightly related note, the fact the course hasn't learned from the last debacle is shocking

lsd

The Oracle
Don't have a problem he knew the rules and took the penalty .It's better than when Danny Willett would continually quit after one round because he wasn't going to win

The PGA have themselves to blame for making the Open a joke this year

StuCol

Chimp
Don't have a problem he knew the rules and took the penalty .It's better than when Danny Willett would continually quit after one round because he wasn't going to win

The PGA have themselves to blame for making the Open a joke this year
He did it deliberately to gain a competitive advantage. Surely he knows that's supposed to be DQ?

lsd

The Oracle
He did it deliberately to gain a competitive advantage. Surely he knows that's supposed to be DQ?

I doubt he was trying to gain an advantage over anyone else he knew where he was going in the tourney

He was just totally fecked off with the course at that point and reacted .

He knew he would get the 2 shot pen which is the rule why give him any other punishment?

Most people want to watch the best golfers play in the best conditions on the best courses .

They don't want to watch what is basically a lottery which will be won by the person who played the least badly and who was lucky to get the best tee times etc.

It's the same for the players too playing in what is a joke course how else can they react ?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I doubt he was trying to gain an advantage over anyone else he knew where he was going in the tourney

He knew he would get the 2 shot pen which is the rule why give him any other punishment?

Most people want to watch the best golfers play in the best conditions on the best courses .

They don't want to watch what is basically a lottery which will be won by the person who played the least badly and who was lucky to get the best tee times etc.

It's the same for the players too playing in what is a joke course how else can they react ?
I won't claim to be an expert on rules, but do you think this was the situation the rulemakers invisaged? He said himself he knew it'd be more that 2 shots if he let it roll off the green. Considering gold and it's history of calling penalties on yourself, it's very scummy. Absolutely not in the spirit of the game and neither is his reaction after .

Gee Male

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-01

If what he did isn’t a serious breach, I don’t know what is.
May impose. Not obligated. Joke of a move, but the rules have dealt with it.

I stand by my earlier posts here, but will no go further. They have ruined the event again this year, tricked up shite all over the course. By all means punish bad shots, but good shots being punished is a farce.

Easily the worst of the majors.

Kag

Given the field has condensed and Johnson has come back to the pack, the USGA can redeem themselves tomorrow and justify today's pins - a tad.

But they need to put the pins in good spots, water the greens and let them play a little. If there's a 65 or 64 out there then let them go and shoot it.

Carolina Red

Staff
May impose. Not obligated. Joke of a move, but the rules have dealt with it.
At some point they need to put down a market for what a “serious breach” is.

What happened today should be that marker.

As for the course... hell, I’m glad to see the pros look human every once in awhile.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I can imagine this rule was created for those situations where a short putt has frustratingly slid past the hole and you tap it in before it's stopped moving.

I highly doubt the rulemakers invisaged someone *running ahead of the ball* to stop it going into a very disadvantageous position.

I really hope this doesn't become a thing.

Kag

I was only half serious when I said that Patrick Berger would be overnight leader but turns out he is. Farcical.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yep. He’s basically a overall cock; today’s move, while within the rules, showed no class. I was surprised that he didn’t use pace of play as a reason for his breaking of the rules.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

But that’s almost exactly what every tournament champion does, play with the least mistakes, regardless of the weather.

Most often, the tournament winner plays the final round (or final two rounds) when the course is at its ‘worst,’ dried out greens and fairways, spike marks everywhere (somewhat less so since the players are allowed to fix some spike marks now), warmest weather conditions, rowdiest fans, etc.

I cannot stand the bomb and gouge play of today’s professional golfers (who are typically American). They benefit so much from vastly improved course conditions that it doesn’t resemble the sport from twenty years ago.

It’s enjoyable watching the players try to win through committing the least errors, instead of lofted irons throwing darts on greens.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Given the field has condensed and Johnson has come back to the pack, the USGA can redeem themselves tomorrow and justify today's pins - a tad.

But they need to put the pins in good spots, water the greens and let them play a little. If there's a 65 or 64 out there then let them go and shoot it.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-2018-us-open-too-tough-will-slow-down-course

The USGA realized the severity of the golf course tonight and not after multiple groups were already through some holes like 2004.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
A co-worker of mine is at Shinnecock this week. He texted that he was right by the 13th green when Phil had his meltdown. Pure carnage today, and I love it.