2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

haram

Which other top team needs a LB other than Spurs, who are after Sessegnon?

Napoli, who seem to try and mirror every move we make (or is it the other way around) were credited with an active interest. But it seems Tierney wanted the PL.
We have no backup LB. Liverpool have no back up LB. That’s two teams at the very least along with Spurs. 25 million is nothing.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
We have no backup LB. Liverpool have no back up LB. That’s two teams at the very least along with Spurs. 25 million is nothing.
Would he move to be a back-up at his age? I doubt it personally. He can aim higher than being a back-up.

haram

Would he move to be a back-up at his age? I doubt it personally. He can aim higher than being a back-up.
If he is actually good enough he could easily compete with Shaw and Davies. 25 million for a British fullback, all the top Premier League teams would be circling.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
If he is actually good enough he could easily compete with Shaw and Davies. 25 million for a British fullback, all the top Premier League teams would be circling.
Even if every single team in the PL was interested in him, it would then really come the top 6 or so teams being a chance.

Then you factor in where he'd be in the pecking order - backup or starter?

Given all the better teams are sorted in that position bar Arsenal and Tottenham, who are after a different player, then it's an obvious choice.

Leicester - Chillwell
Everton - Digne / Baines
United - Shaw
Tottenham - ?
Arsenal - ?
City - Mendy
Liverpool - Robertson
Chelsea - Emerson / Alonso

He's got a clear run into a starting spot at Arsenal and Tottenham, that's it really.

haram

Even if every single team in the PL was interested in him, it would then really come the top 6 or so teams being a chance.

Then you factor in where he'd be in the pecking order - backup or starter?

Given all the better teams are sorted in that position bar Arsenal and Tottenham, who are after a different player, then it's an obvious choice.

Leicester - Chillwell
Everton - Digne / Baines
United - Shaw
Tottenham - ?
Arsenal - ?
City - Mendy
Liverpool - Robertson
Chelsea - Emerson / Alonso

He's got a clear run into a starting spot at Arsenal and Tottenham, that's it really.
Other teams would have surely shown interest though...

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Don’t get me wrong, he’s pretty good on the ball and he’s clearly a better option than playing Mustafi, but I’ve always found him suspect defensively.

You need a leader at the back and I don’t think that’s David Luiz, although having said i can’t think of many good options available at the moment.

Would you have been ok with swapping Koscielny for Luiz at the start of the window?
It sounds like we are still trying hard for Upamecano but if we can’t get a deal done then our options look limited on the final day of the window. Leipzig as Liverpool found out with Keïta are tough negotiators and sounds like we just can’t get to the level they want money wise. They may take Smith Rowe and lower their price but it’s difficult now. Though saying that with the window we’ve had and how well Raul has done I’m still not giving up just yet lol!

I’m not the biggest fan of Luiz but if it’s him or nobody then I’d probably take him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It sounds like we are still trying hard for Upamecano but if we can’t get a deal done then our options look limited on the final day of the window. Leipzig as Liverpool found out with Keïta are tough negotiators and sounds like we just can’t get to the level they want money wise. They may take Smith Rowe and lower their price but it’s difficult now. Though saying that with the window we’ve had and how well Raul has done I’m still not giving up just yet lol!

I’m not the biggest fan of Luiz but if it’s him or nobody then I’d probably take him.
I have always maintained Luiz is not as bad as people made out (there was a media withchhunt against him 2 or so months after he initially came that poisoned a lot of minds) but he certainly isn't a player that can elevate and organize a defense as the main man (as was spectacularly shown in THAT world cup semi).

Thinking about it if you get Luiz a back 3 (343) is probably the best idea (even if that means significant minutes for Mustafi) given you don't have the best set of CM's, AMN isn't comfortable in a flat back 4 and it could lead to your front 3 playing closer together.

Red00012

I've been waiting since 2009 when I started supporting Arsenal to say we have had a good transfer window. :lol:

But to be honest, until any of them have actually kicked a ball it's all speculation.

FYI I've lurked here for years. Just haven't participated in discussion. I am excited about the coming season, hopefully we can get back into the top 4. Tough season ahead for many teams!
Arsenal have had a good summer transfer wise though if Pepe and Ceballos hit the ground running.

Havak

Pokemon master
If Arsenal land Tierney and Luiz today, after already getting Pepe, Saliba, Martinelli and Ceballos on loan... Have they had a better window than us if we don't sign anyone else? Should they finish above us in that regard considering they already did last season?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If Arsenal land Tierney and Luiz today, after already getting Pepe, Saliba, Martinelli and Ceballos on loan... Have they had a better window than us if we don't sign anyone else? Should they finish above us in that regard considering they already did last season?
Transfers aren't the be all and end all of how a team is going to do next year. For us, the priority was reinforcing some areas where we critically needed strengthening, but also changing up the fitness of the group in view of the playing style required by Ole (I'd argue this was as important as the transfers). Our last season was a complete shambles with a toxic first half to the season, a managerial change, a mess in terms of fitness, a complete collapse towards the end, a drastic change in style of play halfway through the season... The way our next season goes really shouldn't be using last season as a template and seeing how transfers this summer have improved us, it's much more holistic.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Sessegnon odds on to join Spurs, it has been on the cards for a while to be fair. He certainly isnt staying with Fulham in the Championship, probably also happy staying put in London.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
Hernia is no big deal. The potential OP could be worrisome unless managed properly.
Its not a hernia, he has an extremely bad hip that could be career threatening.

Which other top team needs a LB other than Spurs, who are after Sessegnon?

Napoli, who seem to try and mirror every move we make (or is it the other way around) were credited with an active interest. But it seems Tierney wanted the PL.
Napoli were never interested Carlo stated that in an interview before the Liverpool game at Hampden.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Reckon they've got 4th sewn up if they play their cards right.
Leno
Maitland-Niles, Holding, Luiz, Tierney
Torreira, Ceballos
Pepe, Ozil, Aubameyang
Lacazette

Martinez
Bellerin, Sokratis, Monreal, Kolasinac
Guendouzi, Chambers, Elneny
Mkhitaryan, Martinelli, Iwobi

Raw

It's not amazing in terms of quality but they've filled gaps in their squad incredibly well on a tight budget. I'd say they're a lot more satisfied with their window than us with ours. They also have the advantage of Emery already having a full season with Arsenal, so he has a better idea of what he needs.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
When has David Luiz been good in a back 4, his best games were in a back 3 for Chellsea in 16-17 imo so think Arsenal will keep that system if they want him to be good.

Likes of Bellerin and Holding are also coming back off serious injuries, neither will start playing until September/October.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Last season probably, when his partnership with Rudiger was the strongest aspect of the joint third-best defence in the league.
Chelsea barely kept a clean sheet in the league away from home after xmas, 6 at Man. City, 2 at Arsenal, 2 at Everton, 4 at Bournemouth etc.

Thought Chelsea switching to 4 at back made them far more vulnerable, ask Alonso and Azpilcueta who really struggled with the formation change.

16-17 Chelsea were very hard to score against with back 3 of Rudiger-Cahill-lLuiz.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Last season probably, when his partnership with Rudiger was the strongest aspect of the joint third-best defence in the league.
Chelsea still conceded 39 goals last season. 3rd best or not it's still almost double the amount City and Liverpool did

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
If Tierney is actually any good, why do Arsenal have a free run at him?...
He looks to be able to dribble, putting in a good cross/pass and defend. The only issue is if he can up his game in the PL or the pace will be too much for him

Napoli were interested. But remember bigger teams are sceptical of SPL talent and this is why VDV went to Southampton instead of a bigger side

flappyjay

Chelsea played with this clown last season (36 games) and had the best defense after City and Liverpool. So i'm fine with this clown.

Everywhere he was (Chelsea & PSG) he was a starter for them.
He makes a couple of crazy mistakes school boys would be ashamed to make and everyone will judge him on it. But throughout a 38 game league season what he brings to the table is worth it. Would have loved him at United when we were playing teams that park the bus.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He looks to be able to dribble, putting in a good cross/pass and defend. The only issue is if he can up his game in the PL or the pace will be too much for him

Napoli were interested. But remember bigger teams are sceptical of SPL talent and this is why VDV went to Southampton instead of a bigger side
His question is ridiculous. Was any one else in for Maguire? Wan Bissaka? Sissoko? Lo Celso? etc. That does not mean that they aren't quality players.

haram

Are you suggesting that he's no good because only Arsenal and Napoli had a confirmed interest in him?
I think it’s a big weird considering the hype he gets.

His question is ridiculous. Was any one else in for Maguire? Wan Bissaka? Sissoko? Lo Celso? etc. That does not mean that they aren't quality players.
They are going for above 50 million.

Did you forget about our captain ?
I try to forget...

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

I try to forget...
So you'd rate Tierney if we paid 50m for him instead of 25m?

haram

I didn’t say if I rated him or not. I haven’t watch enough of him to have an opinion. If a British talent which is hyped as much as him is available for 25 million, all the top English teams would normally be interested.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea still conceded 39 goals last season. 3rd best or not it's still almost double the amount City and Liverpool did
We did not target Luiz to challenge City and Liverpool though. He's a stop gap signing to try and get in the top 4.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We did not target Luiz to challenge City and Liverpool though. He's a stop gap signing to try and get in the top 4.
Erm ok?

My point was more directed that Chelsea didn't have a great defence with him in it contrary to this Chelsea had the 3rd best defence in the league narrative

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal

I try to forget...
Your argument is awful.

So if we spent 50 million and above then Tierney would be good? Surely then there would have been even less chance of others being interested.

No one else was in for those players United signed, so they must not be any good.

It just doesn't work like that.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Your attack will take you to top 4 . Attack is the best form of defence.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yes, baffling logic on display here.

If he doesn't rate him then fair enough. But to say it's because no other team has had a reported interest, or that he wasn't a 50 million pound signing, is just odd.

haram

Your argument is awful.

So if we spent 50 million and above then Tierney would be good? Surely then there would have been even less chance of others being interested.

No one else was in for those players United signed, so they must not be any good.

It just doesn't work like that.
I never said he would be good if you spent 50 million on him. I asked why such a highly rated British player who is only going for 25 million is only linked with Arsenal. I already explained that players like Maguire and AWB are clearly expensive and that’s what put other teams off.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
I never said he would be good if you spent 50 million on him. I asked why such a highly rated British player who is only going for 25 million is only linked with Arsenal. I already explained that players like Maguire and AWB are clearly expensive and that’s what put other teams off.
Tierney will break the Scottish record for any player that's been sold (or so I read). A relatively small fee in the PL is a record fee up north.

An equivalent young and talented LB signing is Sessegnon, who is reported to be going for a similar fee. Apparently that's the market rate for someone who is yet to be PL proven (unlike AWB).

I've given reasons why he was likely not linked with other teams. They have no need for a LB, and why would Tierney even entertain going to another top team to ride the pine? Or why would he want to go to a mid/bottom team if Arsenal are ready to give you a clear path into the XI?

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
He'd never go to Liverpool with Robertson there, Chelsea have a transfer ban, Spurs were set on Sessegnon and your lot have a young LB sorted. Why would he sign up to be a rotation option when he can sign somewhere else and be first choice?

I thought City might have taken a punt on him due to the Mendy injuries and only having Zinchenko to cover but thankfully they were looking at the other side of their defence.

haram

Tierney will break the Scottish record for any player that's been sold (or so I read). A relatively small fee in the PL is a record fee up north.

An equivalent young and talented LB signing is Sessegnon, who is reported to be going for a similar fee. Apparently that's the market rate for someone who is yet to be PL proven (unlike AWB).

I've given reasons why he was likely not linked with other teams. They have no need for a LB, and why would Tierney even entertain going to another top team to ride the pine? Or why would he want to go to a mid/bottom team if Arsenal are ready to give you a clear path into the XI?
The way people hype him up, it’s as if he is as good as players like Shaw for example.

haram

He'd never go to Liverpool with Robertson there, Chelsea have a transfer ban, Spurs were set on Sessegnon and your lot have a young LB sorted. Why would he sign up to be a rotation option when he can sign somewhere else and be first choice?

I thought City might have taken a punt on him due to the Mendy injuries and only having Zinchenko to cover but thankfully they were looking at the other side of their defence.
I don’t think anyone was really interested. It has nothing to do with Arsenal being Tierney’s preferred destination above all other English teams.