2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
A 20-year-old Matteo is saving this team, clearly our best midfielder.
Play him with Torreira and one of Willock, Ceballos or Özil.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Guendouzi has shown some very good progress. Clearly plays with more intelligence this season.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Happy for Chambers, he should start until Hector is back.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Happy for Chambers, he should start until Hector is back.
Don't think we have a choice anyway. Maitland-Niles couldn't put his foot down in the tunnel, might be out for some weeks...

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Guendouzi has shown some very good progress. Clearly plays with more intelligence this season.
Fantastic player for Arsenal, an absolute steal for £7m. And to imagine he was playing in Ligue 2 in 2018, now he is one of Arsenal's best players and in the French squad. He is lovely to watch when he is on form. Just shows you don't need to spend a truckload of dosh to get a quality player.

Last edited:

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Guendouzi has been our best player so far this year. Give him Torreira and maybe Willock/Ceballos and it will look more balanced.

Unfortunately, our team has a combined football IQ that is comparable to my daughter's under 8 team. We got semi rid of Mustafi only for others to pick up the slack. Sub out that entire defense...we to see more of Holding Chambers Tierney and Bellerin.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Don't think we have a choice anyway. Maitland-Niles couldn't put his foot down in the tunnel, might be out for some weeks...
I suspect he was exaggerating his injury to avoid a red. I won't be surprised if he is in the squad for the Man Utd match.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Well I can't say I favour of us for Top 4 with the level of performances but Emery is managing to get players to run out of their skin at least at home.

Guendouzis stamina is something else, he kept dribbling box to box constantly. I say this as someone who didn't rate him that much last year but he's gone up a level and showed yesterday he can do much more play a holding role.

Good, I don't want to see him in an Arsenal shirt ever again. Defensive liability, loses the ball constantly, at fault for the first goal and got a needless red card which could of seen us drop 3 points.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Well I can't say I favour of us for Top 4 with the level of performances but Emery is managing to get players to run out of their skin at least at home.

Guendouzis stamina is something else, he kept dribbling box to box constantly. I say this as someone who didn't rate him that much last year but he's gone up a level and showed yesterday he can do much more play a holding role.

Good, I don't want to see him in an Arsenal shirt ever again. Defensive liability, loses the ball constantly, at fault for the first goal and got a needless red card which could of seen us drop 3 points.
You're a heartless bastard aren't you ?

awop

Supports
Arsenal
You're a heartless bastard aren't you ?
Nah he's absolutely right. I also never ever want to see this 22 year old english lad who has been with us since birth put an Arsenal shirt again. What's he done for us ? Play a whole year out of position while Bellerin was injured ? I hope we rescind his contract as soon as possible. :rolleyes:

Other than that the game @ Old Trafford is going to be very important, we can't lose and go back to that 5th to 8th range and fight all season long to reach 4th. We have to stick as close as possible to City especially if they prioritise the Champions League. Spurs struggling and Chelsea having no idea how to defend (not that we're better at it) there's a real opportunity to grab third.
We should be getting Laca, Holding, Bellerin and Tierney back just after that game. I'd like to see a Sokratis-Holding partnership given a few games but i doubt Emery will have the balls to drop Luiz.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Winning the match 3-2 with 10 men, losing 1-2 by the 80th minute. Yes indeed.
Hehe, good we'll keep everyone on their toes not knowing if they're going to get blown off, or the other way around.

espnluk

Supports
Arsenal
I'd like to see a Sokratis-Holding partnership given a few games but i doubt Emery will have the balls to drop Luiz.
What does balls have to do with it? I'd absolutely rather see Sokratis dropped. Hopefully by the end of the season the first choice pairing will have been Chambers-Holding for a while, and then Saliba comes to challenge them.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
What does balls have to do with it? I'd absolutely rather see Sokratis dropped. Hopefully by the end of the season the first choice pairing will have been Chambers-Holding for a while, and then Saliba comes to challenge them.
I don't know, Luiz's agent link with Sanlehi + the connection with Edu from the Brazilian NT. Something tells me he kind of have to play him. This season at least.
Hopefully for me, Chambers will never be the answer to "who is starting at CB". I still can't see it happening for him. An important goal against Villa won't change that.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Nah he's absolutely right. I also never ever want to see this 22 year old english lad who has been with us since birth put an Arsenal shirt again. What's he done for us ? Play a whole year out of position while Bellerin was injured ? I hope we rescind his contract as soon as possible. :rolleyes:
I also don't want all the other Championship level watercarriers playing for my team who can't tackle or control a football. Or cnuts with an entitled attitude who blame the goalkeeper after passing it into your own net. His mother can attack some Championship coaches instead of ours

And sorry he isn't out of position, if you can't get into this midfield and keep passing to the opposition when you're out wide with loads more time on the ball, then you're never an actual midfielder.

I suppose Ashley Cole played his career out of position because he was a winger in the youth team and Theo Walcott is a number 9

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Xhaka announced as new permanent Arsenal captain so looks like he's not going to be dropped anytime soon which I find bizarre.

Surely logical Arsenal middle trio is Torreria-Guendouzi with Ceballos pushed a bit ahead of them. Looks quite balanced to me.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Xhaka announced as new permanent Arsenal captain so looks like he's not going to be dropped anytime soon which I find bizarre.

Surely logical Arsenal middle trio is Torreria-Guendouzi with Ceballos pushed a bit ahead of them. Looks quite balanced to me.
Finally got the keys. Captain Xhaka.

Pele's blue pil

Supports
Arsenal

Goodness sake, I didnt know this until I read this post, he shouldnt even be in our team imo, though was an article in the Athletic yesterday saying how well liked he is in the changing room etc so that must have played a part.....could Probs put money on him doing something dumb against you utd on monday

TheReligion

Abusive
Look very similar to United really. Wouldn't have got anything from the game tonight if it wasn't for the Tuanzebe error. Also very fortunate with the blatant handball being inexplicably ignored by VAR.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We are poor but they are as equally as very bad as us.
Yep. I'm almost tempted to say the draw was the better result for us, all their fans (and ours) were so confident of an Arsenal win and that's the performance they produce?

Irwin99

Guenduzi looks a real talent. Very impressive in a game with very little quality.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
We are poor but they are as equally as very bad as us.
Both fanbases seem to have had the same reaction from this match "That's one of the worst United (Arsenal) sides I've seen in ages, so if we can't outplay them what does that say about us?"

Frankly, neither manager deserves the job or to last much longer.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Pepe have the look of a massive flop. Was really bad today.
Pepe is perfect example how big the role of the right manager plays. Arsenal under emery are terrible and he is a manager who cant coach any attacking coherent team. Pepe has been thrown in a team who has no pattern of play or any identity where the whole attack depends on individual players making difference. He simply is lost while feeling the pressure to do something. The sooner arsenal sack emeey the better. Arsenal has not improved one bit and play terrible football to add.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Both fanbases seem to have had the same reaction from this match "That's one of the worst United (Arsenal) sides I've seen in ages, so if we can't outplay them what does that say about us?"

Frankly, neither manager deserves the job or to last much longer.
Really? 4th and 2 points short of the leader? (Pool and City don't count, different league).

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Really? 4th and 2 points short of the leader? (Pool and City don't count, different league).
We have ridden our luck to have as many points as we do.

Even more importantly, getting fourth shouldn't be the goal. If that's what we wanted, we could have just kept Wenger while buying him some more expensive players. The goal is to actually build a team that could aspire to more. And its very clear (to me at least) at this point that Emery isn't the guy to build that team.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
We have ridden our luck to have as many points as we do.

Even more importantly, getting fourth shouldn't be the goal. If that's what we wanted, we could have just kept Wenger while buying him some more expensive players. The goal is to actually build a team that could aspire to more. And its very clear (to me at least) at this point that Emery isn't the guy to build that team.
Fair enough.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Bit of an overreaction from all quarters regarding the quality of our display. We were bang average but away from home, with the kind of rubbish we've been putting out in the league, and with that backline I'll take it. Emery has little or no clue what to do with these bunch of players other than hope for a counter which clicks or a moment of genius from some genuinely talented attacking players and I'd look to line up a replacement by season end pronto. However, we've had worse displays over the years at stadiums where we get overawed and end up losing our heads.

Some objectivity needed. A point was a fair result for both.