2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Scroll to the 4th pick, looks like a mascot!

Kind of a shame he's a right sided player, with him and Reece James we're a bit overstocked.

His contract is up at the end of the season and he's been linked with PSG.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Scroll to the 4th pick, looks like a mascot!

Kind of a shame he's a right sided player, with him and Reece James we're a bit overstocked.

His contract is up at the end of the season and he's been linked with PSG.

Would be a pity; he's excelled at youth levels. Hopefully he can be convinced to extend as Azpilicueta is certainly no spring chicken and there should be minutes aplenty at RB going forward (especially as James can play in midfield too).

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Lamps has completely lost the plot since the City defeat. I knew that the Tottenham win was going to result in our fans papering over the cracks, and Frank believing 3-4-3 is the way forward and playing it again. This season was always going to be a rollercoaster, we have lost our best player, had a transfer ban, new and unexperienced manager, youth coming through and declining players in need of phasing out. But, despite this all being true, if we are being hyper critical it isn't an excuse for the abject performances we have showed over the past 5 weeks or so.

I back Lampard due to the handicaps I have explained, but we are getting worse as time goes on and the most worrying thing is I cannot see our identity. We have kept switching between a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and 3--4-3, changing style every game and although you may return a one off result out of it, likes vs an atrocious Spurs team, in the long run it leaves the team clueless with no clear instructions in games on how to break teams down, which we have massively struggled with. I criticised Emery for doing this so I can't excuse Frank.

It is his first season here, and second season as a manager overall, but he needs to start nailing down a philosophy and stick with it. Sarri laid the building blocks there for him, as much as some people would never admit, a 4-3-3 (proven to be the most effective formation in world football at the moment), a team very good at building out the back and a team going towards a more attacking footprint rather than the defensive one we have been saddled with. All he had to do was implement the youth into this, quicken the tempo and add his own small tweaks and it did look that way for a time but he has gone against it for a while now.

Obviously it isn't all him, we have some poor players, but playing Azpi, who is no more no less than a burden on the team, at wing back is not the way to help us. Worrying times unless he shows a clear philosophy and sticks to it.
"WillianOut"??

Willian has been Chelsea's most consistent attacker this season. Embarrassing username.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
On the other side of the argument he isnt set in a philosophy and can adjust to a match which is a huge asset. Reminded me of the Leeds match in the play off last season when he subbed on Marriot on the 44th minute. The modern day fullback is huge in today's game and Chlesea just dont have a capable one on either flank. Trying to find the right balance between attack and defence with injured players coming back and the fluctuation of form must be like spinning plates with a blindfold.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
The modern day fullback is huge in today's game and Chlesea just dont have a capable one on either flank.
We have one in Reece James but he's got a slight injury currently. Hopefully we can pry Chilwell from Leicester in the summer.

WillianOut

Supports
Chelsea
"WillianOut"??

Willian has been Chelsea's most consistent attacker this season. Embarrassing username.
I made the account last season when he was absolutely stinking up the pitch every time.. He has been good this season, big improvement from the last two seasons and he has been professional but I disagree that he has been our most consistent attacker. Abraham has been by far. I still want Willian out though, mad how he is still a starting winger going into this decade.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Reece "the beast" James aka the Cobham Cafu, aka the Fridge from the Bridge just signed a 5 and half year contract extension.

Turned 20 this month, has been at the club for 13 years.

Reece "the beast" James aka the Cobham Cafu, aka the Fridge from the Bridge just signed a 5 and half year contract extension.

Turned 20 this month, has been at the club for 13 years.

What??? Duffer, behave yourself please. :lol: :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Excellent news, out of all our prospects he's the best of the lot. I feel we will have a lot of ups and downs with Mount, Odoi and even Tomori for their formative years whereas Reece will be the one who gives week by week consistency from the off.

Absolute gem of a player.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
21st century social media fan culture..., death of football, worst manager in History ...:lol:

Not a great performance, didn't create any real chances. Kids in attack, looked like kids today. Poor defending for the goal. We're really inconsistent. Let's see how season plays out.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hasn't taken Lampard long now the transfer ban has been lifted to start publicly saying these young players he's been championing before hand aren't good enough

I reckon give it 2 seasons and the likes of Abraham will be playing elsewhere

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Lamps analysis of the game pretty spot on for me:

I am very pleased with the players we have got. We have a lot of talent in this team, but sticking the ball in the back of the net is a huge thing and if we want to do it as a club going forward, this season and next season going forward and we are controlling games as we are, then we have to score goals.”
Needed to score at least once before the 94th minute with the possession and territory we had. Similar story in this game to other defeats this season (usually at home), teams let us have the ball and sit deep, we can't score and eventually lose the game.

We don't have that bit of quality to unlock their defense. I think we'll try to get a creative AM in the window. Think we'll stick with Tammy.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Any news on the James injury? Huge huge blow if he's out for any serious length of time.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Lamps analysis of the game pretty spot on for me:

Needed to score at least once before the 94th minute with the possession and territory we had. Similar story in this game to other defeats this season (usually at home), teams let us have the ball and sit deep, we can't score and eventually lose the game.

We don't have that bit of quality to unlock their defense. I think we'll try to get a creative AM in the window. Think we'll stick with Tammy.
I think listening to Frank it's another striker he wants. But it has to be someone better than or as good as Tammy at a minimum. I like Tammy but I just think we could do with someone a little better at times. But I agree we also need a creative player to unlock stubborn defences. Going sideways with passes all the time is too predictable

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Hasn't taken Lampard long now the transfer ban has been lifted to start publicly saying these young players he's been championing before hand aren't good enough

I reckon give it 2 seasons and the likes of Abraham will be playing elsewhere
That would be cute if that's what he actually said.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
We have one in Reece James but he's got a slight injury currently. Hopefully we can pry Chilwell from Leicester in the summer.
Im sure you will be able to “pry” Chillwell away in the summer, it will just be very expensive!

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
He doesn't suit the way Lampard (or Sarri) plays. Been a bit poor the past two years or so.
Why would anyone take the bet player in his position, in the world, and play him in a different position? Crazy!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
In a possession based style of play, his best position doesn't exist!
True, though we're better on the counter anyway. Lots of pace and young players. We don't have the quality to break teams down when they sit deep, like Newcastle, Southampton, Bournemouth games.

Part of our problem is we're trying to play a possession based system when tactically, sitting deeper putting Kante in a deep midfield two, might suit the players we've got much better. Personally can't see the logic in taking Tammy out of the team and buying a striker. His goal return has been good. It's the 3 or 4 players in the AM and wide positions we need to look at.

Meanwhile good news on James:

https://talksport.com/football/657916/chelsea-reece-james-injury-boost-scan-no-serious-damage/

Ledg

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, we're totally getting away with it in the last month. We're dropping points and everybody around us drop too.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
In a possession based style of play, his best position doesn't exist!
Right. So in your, “ possession based”, team, you don't need a player with the energy of two players, with the ability to cleanly dispossess opposition players and retain , “possession”, and drive the team forward with strong running and accurate passing? You can always send him back to Filbert Way, give you your money back?

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Signed a new 3 year shirt deal with Three. Rumoured to be similar in value to the £40m per season Yokohama deal. Makes sense given we'd just won the league under Mourinho when we signed that. Now we're in/out the CL each season.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Have to see I guess, how it's presented on the shirt next season.

Personally can't stand the current home shirt, with all that nonsense on it. Our away, third and the classic kit we wore recently in the FA cup all far superior to it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Guess that's the end of [Irrelevant point]'s Chelsea career then.