2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I get the point about nailing down world class talents when they are available and interested. That makes sense.

I am not even sure if Rice has a higher ceiling as a CB. It’s a punt, but Lampard obviously sees something. It could prove to be an issue though going into the new season without proven quality there.
Yeah I agree. We may prove the most entertaining side to watch for the neutral observer.

One small additional note though - I'd rather replace Kepa than any of the CBs. He instills so much panic when he remains rooted to his line on every cross, or lets 30 yard shots past him in the middle of the goal, or plays a suicide pass straight to the opposition. It must be insanely frustrating to play in front of that horror show.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Yeah I agree. We may prove the most entertaining side to watch for the neutral observer.

One small additional note though - I'd rather replace Kepa than any of the CBs. He instills so much panic when he remains rooted to his line on every cross, or lets 30 yard shots past him in the middle of the goal, or plays a suicide pass straight to the opposition. It must be insanely frustrating to play in front of that horror show.
That will almost definitely improve things. At least in that case, anyone competent will immediately come in and make an improvement. I have been surprised at how bad he has been. It could boost the whole backline having actual confidence in a goalkeeper.

Rossa

So Kepa isn’t good with the ball at his feet, not a good sweeper, not good at commanding his box and not a good shot stopper. Doesn’t sound very good!

Sea-Cow

Chelsea have quite an inflated squad at the moment which they have spent a fortune putting together. Below are the ones that jump out as having question marks over their future;

Kepa £72m
Emerson £18m
Zappacosta £23m
Jorginho £52m
Kovacic £40m
Bakayoko £36m
Drinkwater £35m
Barkley £15m
Batshuayi £35m

You also have the likes of the below still out on loan with no future at the club;

Kennedy
Moses
Rahman
Piazon
van Ginkle

When you add all of the above to the list of soon departing older players like Willian and Pedro then the likes of Alonso, Azipulcueta and Giroud who won't be around all that much longer you have to wonder just how much money Chelsea are going to need to spend and just how much money they have wasted in recent times. It's quite eye watering really.

Yes they have made what appear to be good signings in Ziyech, Werner and Pulisic but again it's more big money to replace more big money that hasn't worked again. You also have to wonder what message those signings send to Gilmour, CHO, Mount, RLC and Tammy who will undoubtedly see their pathway to the first team hindered. Especially when you consider there are likely to be more signings to come given the work that needs doing on the squad.
I hope that the message is "your place isn't guaranteed just because you're from the academy, you still need to work extremely hard and perform at the absolute best at all times, because you can and will be replaced. This is a business, and you are an asset."

Or something along those lines.

TheReligion

Abusive
I hope that the message is "your place isn't guaranteed just because you're from the academy, you still need to work extremely hard and perform at the absolute best at all times, because you can and will be replaced. This is a business, and you are an asset."

Or something along those lines.
Yes. That's just the message to nurture young talent!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
So Kepa isn’t good with the ball at his feet, not a good sweeper, not good at commanding his box and not a good shot stopper. Doesn’t sound very good!
He's got literally the lowest save percentage ever measured in the PL. And Chelsea have a lower xGA than Liverpool. He is genuinely atrocious.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's got literally the lowest save percentage ever measured in the PL. And Chelsea have a lower xGA than Liverpool. He is genuinely atrocious.
:lol:

I was called bias when I started the thread on him but my god that's one damning stat

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I agree! I cannot see what he brings to justify the price tag, being Spain’s number one or Chelsea’s. He’s bang average, at the very best.
DDG must be every shade of shite in the present day to lose his place to a keeper in the midst of an all time collapse.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You're happy with and rate Kepa then?
Not really but luckily there's tangible rumours we're trying to change things (the noise surrounding the Kepa, Cillisen, Onana triangle isn't going away), there doesn't seem to be any smoke regarding you lot upgrading on his NT understudy which must be concerning.

charlenefan

Not really but luckily there's tangible rumours we're trying to change things (the noise surrounding the Kepa, Cillisen, Onana triangle isn't going away), there doesn't seem to be any smoke regarding you lot upgrading on his NT understudy which must be concerning.
So your childish response was just due to you not being able to handle criticism labelled against a Chelsea player then?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So your childish response was just due to you not being able to handle criticism labelled against a Chelsea player then?
Nice try trying to turn this round on me, especially given you completely put false words into my mouth in the first place.

Kepa's been shite this season but you're still badly opening yourself up trying to WUM about it given in the opinion of the Spain manager he's better than one of your highest ever earners.

charlenefan

Nice try trying to turn this round on me, especially given you completely put false words into my mouth in the first place.

Kepa's been shite this season but you're still badly opening yourself up trying to WUM about it given in the opinion of the Spain manager he's better than one of your highest ever earners.
Again a childish response, you should be able to discuss a player on their merit without having to draw another in for comparison

Like people have said to you multiple times before you're very sensitive when it comes to Chelsea and acknowledging anything negative about them

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Like people have said to you multiple times before you're very sensitive when it comes to Chelsea and acknowledging anything negative about them
The irony of that is too much given what you did to Kepa's thread..

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And we come full circle, you are the epitome of a 'yeah I know I am but what are you' retort

Night night
You came on this thread with the intention to WUM us and is now having a a paddy because you got put in your place.

And the irony about it is you got so upset by DDG comparisons in your Kepa thread you changed the entire thread title, rattled much?

charlenefan

You came on this thread with the intention to WUM us and is now having a a paddy because you got put in your place.

And the irony about it is you got so upset by DDG comparisons in your Kepa thread you changed the entire thread title, rattled much?
:lol: Oh yes I don't know how I'm going to sleep now, in fact the embarrassment is going to haunt me for the rest of my life

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
:lol: Oh yes I don't know how I'm going to sleep now, in fact the embarrassment is going to haunt me for the rest of my life
I thought you were off to bed/stopping talking to me or is that the second thing you've made a complete pigs ear off in less than half an hour?

Now your obsession with Kepa makes sense, you're one of the few people of the planet fecking up at a higher rate than him right now....

Handré1990

No he’s absolutely right. This is the Chelsea thread, where a few posters were discussing Chelsea’s keeper, and you felt the need to bring DDG into the discussion? Clearly you have issues with people criticising Chelsea players, maybe a football forum, never mind a ManUtd forum isn’t right for you? Feel free to discuss DDG in the thread dedicated to his perfomances, where a lot of United fans are criticising him already, I might add. DDG being shit for a couple of seasons doesn’t change the fact that Kepa is absolutely atrocious. The most expensive keeper in the world, which is interesting, even if it hurts your feelings.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Clearly you have issues with people criticising Chelsea players, maybe a football forum, never mind a ManUtd forum isn’t right for you?
That's funny cause i remember a lot of times any response to me being critical of Lukaku was "but Morata lol".

Or are the rules different in reverse?

And I have no problem with our players being critisized fairly (ive even said myself Kepa has been shit and I even agreed with a United fan creating a thread critisizing Kante, but ofcourse that doesn't fit this wierd stigma you're trying to create with me) but when people are talking absolute rubbish about our players (like what's a regular occurrence with CHO) then I will be telling them they're taking a load of shit, as I'm sure you would if I said something like I don't know Rashford hasn't lived up to the hype and will end up at West Ham.

Handré1990

That's funny cause i remember a lot of times any response to me being critical of Lukaku was "but Morata lol".

Or are the rules different in reverse?

And I have no problem with our players being critisized fairly (ive even said myself Kepa has been shit and I even agreed with a United fan creating a thread critisizing Kante, but ofcourse that doesn't fit this wierd stigma you're trying to create with me) but when people are talking absolute rubbish about our players (like what's a regular occurrence with CHO) then I will be telling them they're taking a load of shit, as I'm sure you would if I said something like I don't know Rashford hasn't lived up to the hype and will end up at West Ham.
So because there are other shit posters you want to be one yourself, is that it?

Fair enough, you don’t like Rashford.. Again, it has nothing to do with Chelsea. If you were critical of Lukaku you clearly have a little bit of class, why not show it, instead of writing petty remarks besides the point?:p I have no idea about any stigma, by the way, I was just interested in the discussion about Chelsea so noticed this little encounter.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So because there are other shit posters you want to be one yourself, is that it?

Fair enough, you don’t like Rashford.. Again, it has nothing to do with Chelsea.
Where exactly have you got that from? I was using it as an example (as in I bet if I said it all of a sudden United fans would find their "sensitive" side), not that it's what I really think.

Handré1990

Where exactly have you got that from? I was using it as an example (as in I bet if I said it all of a sudden United fans would find their "sensitive" side), not that it's what I really think.
Yes, I got it, but if you did, it would be fine, in the right thread.. I’m just saying in this isolated exchange, which was impossible not to notice, you came across as the one wumming, not charlenefan.

Anyway, back to Chelsea FC. They’re looking good for the future. Looks like they’ve bought smart, and are playing some nice stuff. Will be interesting to see how the new signings fit in. Lampard is a likeable guy imo and I find it hard to dislike a lot of their players (including the new buys). Defense might still be an issue, but one step at a time I guess, could well become a lot better with a competent keeper. They struck gold with Pulisic, who looks like a real gem. I wonder how their first XI will look like?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Chelsea will do nothing next season unless that back line is sorted out. You have to give credit for their ability to dig results out since the restart but they are haemorrhaging goals at an alarming rate. The keeper is simply not good enough and you’re in trouble when Rudiger is your best centre half. Compare their back line to United’s which is generally pilloried and perceived as being in need of improvement. I believe United has a far more balanced squad and would be disappointed not to finish ahead of Chelsea next season, although consistency is our issue.

Rossa

DDG must be every shade of shite in the present day to lose his place to a keeper in the midst of an all time collapse.
DDG lost his place whilst being aeguably the best goalie in the world, and I believe many found that strange. Currently, I still rate Ddg quite a bit higher. Stranger things have happened than the best player not being a starter for their NT

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
DDG lost his place whilst being aeguably the best goalie in the world, and I believe many found that strange. Currently, I still rate Ddg quite a bit higher. Stranger things have happened than the best player not being a starter for their NT
There is nothing strange about a player United fans rating as the best in the world not being rated by his own country. It is a fact that the “worst goalkeeper in the history of the PL” is first choice in the Spanish national team where “the best in the world” according to United fans is from. Its not like he's been frozen out like Benzema.
Its okey to critisize opposition players, we all do it. But when the person is doing so with a clear intent to wum, they deserve to be called out on it. I'm sure if I decided to go up in the Daniel James performance thread and disguised a wind up as a critique I'll get called up on it, get a lot laughing emojis, get a lot of ‘what about your player X,Y,Z’, and probably get banned.
Jumping to Charlenefan's defence and pretending “sensitivity to criticism ” is only synonymous to Chelsea or opposition fans is very much disingenuous.

For example, one United fan quoted me saying it was ironic that someone with Mount and Goat in the same sentence as my username would dare to say Sane is better than Rashford.

On the issue of Kepa’s performances yes he's been poor but personally I'd look to improving our defence before looking at the goalkeeper. Most of the goals we've conceded are simple routine set pieces and our defenders shitting the bed at any sight of a counter attack.

Last edited:

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Rumoured to be making progress on Havertz, we just need to add to that a LB and a GK and i think that will solve a lot of our problems. This can be achieved with the sale of the deadwood but it won't be easy to shift Kepa. I honestly think trading Kepa would be worth 10 points+ as a minimum when you consider our xGA is one of the best in the league. Either we've been ridiculously unlucky that opponents are pinging in shots they wouldn't normally or Kepa isn't up to scratch.

With the above in place i really feel we're going to go back to the old days where there is going to be a clear top 4 for a period of time. Utd are making waves again and City and Liverpool seem nailed on.

Arsenal and Spurs, missing out on CL football on top of the COVID impact is going to hit them hard, they are likely to be stuck with the squads they have now whilst their main rivals for top 4 continue to improve. If they don't get back in next year the vicious cycle could continue to spiral.

Reactions: Sultan

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Rumoured to be making progress on Havertz, we just need to add to that a LB and a GK and i think that will solve a lot of our problems. This can be achieved with the sale of the deadwood but it won't be easy to shift Kepa. I honestly think trading Kepa would be worth 10 points+ as a minimum when you consider our xGA is one of the best in the league. Either we've been ridiculously unlucky that opponents are pinging in shots they wouldn't normally or Kepa isn't up to scratch.

With the above in place i really feel we're going to go back to the old days where there is going to be a clear top 4 for a period of time. Utd are making waves again and City and Liverpool seem nailed on.

Arsenal and Spurs, missing out on CL football on top of the COVID impact is going to hit them hard, they are likely to be stuck with the squads they have now whilst their main rivals for top 4 continue to improve. If they don't get back in next year the vicious cycle could continue to spiral.
I agree Chelsea if they get Harvetz will look tasty in the forward areas. However, whilst they seem to have sorted out the forward areas, I would say they also need a minimum of a CB as well, and would even say a CB is more important than a LB, as whilst Alonso is super slow he does kind of make up for it with goals and assists. However, the four CB's they put out always seems to have a fault in them and look like they can be got at while Kepa is also one of the worst GK's I have ever seen. Apart from a excellent save here and there he is poor. I honestly believe he could be replaced with Foster and you would see an immediate improvement.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
I agree Chelsea if they get Harvetz will look tasty in the forward areas. However, whilst they seem to have sorted out the forward areas, I would say they also need a minimum of a CB as well, and would even say a CB is more important than a LB, as whilst Alonso is super slow he does kind of make up for it with goals and assists. However, the four CB's they put out always seems to have a fault in them and look like they can be got at while Kepa is also one of the worst GK's I have ever seen. Apart from a excellent save here and there he is poor. I honestly believe he could be replaced with Foster and you would see an immediate improvement.
I agree, i would like us to go for Pope or Onana, we don't even need a world class goalkeeper at this stage, just someone who will make the routine stops. I really think our defense isn't as bad as many think, but yes we certainly could use more of a presence on set pieces. That's where we seem to be weakest, set pieces and poor keeping. It seems like we concede from every free kick or corner

TheReligion

Abusive
There is nothing strange about a player United fans rating as the best in the world not being rated by his own country. It is a fact that the “worst goalkeeper in the history of the PL” is first choice in the Spanish national team where “the best in the world” according to United fans is from. Its not like he's been frozen out like Benzema.
Its okey to critisize opposition players, we all do it. But when the person is doing so with a clear intent to wum, they deserve to be called out on it. I'm sure if I decided to go up in the Daniel James performance thread and disguised a wind up as a critique I'll get called up on it, get a lot laughing emojis, get a lot of ‘what about your player X,Y,Z’, and probably get banned.
Jumping to Charlenefan's defence and pretending “sensitivity to criticism ” is only synonymous to Chelsea or opposition fans is very much disingenuous.

For example, one United fan quoted me saying it was ironic that someone with Mount and Goat in the same sentence as my username would dare to say Sane is better than Rashford.

On the issue of Kepa’s performances yes he's been poor but personally I'd look to improving our defence before looking at the goalkeeper. Most of the goals we've conceded are simple routine set pieces and our defenders shitting the bed at any sight of a counter attack.
Yeah with regards to Kepa I think you'll stick with him and see if he can turn it around. He was bought for a world record fee (£75m) and signed to a 7 year contract. There's a big commitment by the club to see this one out a bit longer and there's always the chance he might come good. I certainly think you'd see an improvement if you upgrade the back 4 and build up some stability. Bar James and Rudiger I'd say you could look at replacing the lot really in the next season or two.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Yes I think we'll keep Kepa for those exact reasons. If there was any team willing to pay at least 80% of his transfer fee I'm sure we'll take but no one was going to do that pre- Covid and no one is doing that now.
Personally I'd look at a swap deal with AC Milan for Donarumma +20m as the best deal possible as he is entering his final year contract and holding out for a bigger contract. Not gonna happen though because we just don't deal with Mino Raiola.(Onana has been linked more but I just don't rate him like other Chelsea fans do, I'd rather go big than look for a moderate improvement).

Our CBs aren't all bad. They are just the ‘good enough to tuck along side a WC centerback’ type. We just need a leader in there as non of them are willing to or have the quality to take up that role.
For LB we just need an Alonso with good recovery speed. If Alonso had Luke Shaw pace he'd be World Class. He's not bad defensively, he just lacks pace to keep up with PL wingers and now wingbacks.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I miss Diego Costa :lol:

It's a funny story but the way he tells it you would have thought he put it on a plate for Diego instead of a terrible hoof to the opposition centre back who Costa tackles.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Throw back to our epic Rudiger reveal video 3 years ago.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's a funny story but the way he tells it you would have thought he put it on a plate for Diego instead of a terrible hoof to the opposition centre back who Costa tackles.
Yeah, I went back to look at the goal. It was hopeful hoof towards the corner flag that Costa had no hope of getting to. He's technically right, it was an assist, but Costa made that goal all by himself.

TheLord

The Kai Havertz transfer to Chelsea news is gathering a lot of steam. Looks like they'll have quite an attacking side for next season. If they can sort out their LB and CB positions, they'll be quite a force next season.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
The Kai Havertz transfer to Chelsea news is gathering a lot of steam. Looks like they'll have quite an attacking side for next season. If they can sort out their LB and CB positions, they'll be quite a force next season.
Keeper before cb