2019/20 Rivals - Chelsea

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Doesn't matter how many attackers they buy, if they don't tighten up their defence, they're not going anywhere next season.

I rate Lampard as a manager, but I think this is a poor squad overall. I also think they really lack leaders. Kante and Willian are probably their two seasoned pro's who have won titles in the past, but they're not the kind of players to drive their team on and lift the younger lads who lack experience.
City and Liverpool will still be a bridge too far for anyone next season so if we do the Liverpool 15-18 route of get all the attackers in then worry about the defense then so be it.

yan man utd

Puli
Really? I don’t see that at all. None of there defenders or goalkeeper get into our team. Kante on a good day might take Matic’s place as a purely defensive midfielder but I’d still take Matic as an overall midfielder. No one is taking Pogba or Bruno’s place. Pulisic would probably get in ahead of Rashford, but I’d take Martial over Abraham or Giroud and whilst Willian is probably the best eighth winger I wouldn’t take him ahead of Greenwood on the pitch right now.

looking at our bench compared to theirs I’d probably only take Kovacic and Alonso.
Pulisic ahead of Rashford?
You must be joking! How exactly is pulisic better than Rashford
In fact, let’s be honest - how many Chelsea players would get into this first 11 of United on this form? Possibly zero actually with the exception of Kante and even that’s debatable given Matic’s form..
Credit to Lampard but my opinion is that squadwise / first 11 we are at least the 3rd best in this league and the potential is there... let’s not underestimate ourselves here please

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Puli

In fact, let’s be honest - how many Chelsea players would get into this first 11 of United on this form?
If it's being based on current form then Pulisic is absolutely ahead of him.

I'm not getting too carried away though, signs are promising but two and a bit months worth of incredible form isn't enough for him to be declared the second coming of whatever.

yan man utd

Bro
No doubting Pulisic is a very good player. Rashford is possibly United’s best pleated and has everything- pace, creativity, can beat a man or two, power, can play anywhere across the front 3 or as a no 10; he is just getting back into his rhythm....you have your opinion which is fair enough but I doubt many people would say that pulisic is the better player

time will tell

We are talking about England’s main man and United’s future captain, a manc and with 21 goals and how many assists to his name?
anyway - to the future!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Bro
No doubting Pulisic is a very good player. Rashford is possibly United’s best pleated and has everything- pace, creativity, can beat a man or two, power, can play anywhere across the front 3 or as a no 10; he is just getting back into his rhythm....you have your opinion which is fair enough but I doubt many people would say that pulisic is the better player

time will tell

We are talking about England’s main man and United’s future captain, a manc and with 21 goals and how many assists to his name?
anyway - to the future!
Earlier in the season Tammy was being compared favroubly against Rashford by actual United fans.

He's made good strides this season and has actually surprised me (pleasantly as an England fan sadly as a Chelsea fan) but main man is a bit extreme, in terms of wingers alone Sancho and Sterling are probably higher in the que for that role.

cyberman

Puli

In fact, let’s be honest - how many Chelsea players would get into this first 11 of United on this form? Possibly zero actually with the exception of Kante and even that’s debatable given Matic’s form..
Credit to Lampard but my opinion is that squadwise / first 11 we are at least the 3rd best in this league and the potential is there... let’s not underestimate ourselves here please
Its ridiculous. Raahford has been sensational since the break, he just hasnt his finishing boots on.
Pulisic doesnt get into our attack on present form, no Chelaea player would.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Isn’t it normally a sackable offence for a Chelsea manager to finish outside the top four without a trophy? Assuming that happens, would Lampard‘s job be on the line next season?

I’m assuming they wouldn’t sack him after this season because of the instability COVID has brought about.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Isn’t it normally a sackable offence for a Chelsea manager to finish outside the top four without a trophy? Assuming that happens, would Lampard‘s job be on the line next season?

I’m assuming they wouldn’t sack him after this season because of the instability COVID has brought about.
No chance he gets the sack

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Horses for courses.

Our sacking reputation was built up in the 00s but when you have Cech/Terry/Lampard/Drogba in their prime with a supporting cast of Carvalho/Ballack/Essien/Cole/Anelka all apart from Ballack in their prime then ofcourse you're expected to deliver results with no exception, even more so if you're a purely results driven managers like Mourinho or Ancelotti.

These times things are a bit different. Conte wasn't going to be sacked for results it was his behaviour and if we were planning top 4 at all costs with our current squad we'd have appointed a more appropriate manager.

AshRK

Horses for courses.

Our sacking reputation was built up in the 00s but when you have Cech/Terry/Lampard/Drogba in their prime with a supporting cast of Carvalho/Ballack/Essien/Cole/Anelka all apart from Ballack in their prime then ofcourse you're expected to deliver results with no exception, even more so if you're a purely results driven managers like Mourinho or Ancelotti.

These times things are a bit different. Conte wasn't going to be sacked for results it was his behaviour and if we were planning top 4 at all costs with our current squad we'd have appointed a more appropriate manager.
As harsh as it may be but I would be immensely surprised if lampard stays if there is a poor start come next season for you guys. Roman wouldn't just stay quite if there is not a clear progress next season especially after spending big amount.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Horses for courses.

Yeah that makes sense. The signings you’ve made will probably make a difference but you’re desperate for a CB imo.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
As harsh as it may be but I would be immensely surprised if lampard stays if there is a poor start come next season for you guys. Roman wouldn't just stay quite if there is not a clear progress next season especially after spending big amount.
Eh, maybe but Lampard has been given assurances that he won't be sacked - this has been part of the appeal to players coming in, that there's a defined & well laid-out 3 year plan.

That said, maybe Roman's trigger finger is itchy but he hasn't been the driving force behind a manager sacking since Mourinho Mk II (which I think we can all agree was completely justified).

Amarsdd

of course its not Lampard's fault at all. Wow, they are going through absolute hoops to defend Lampard esp. Steve Nicol. Absolutely feckin embarrassing. Credit to the presenter for having a go at Nicol there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
of course its not Lampard's fault at all. Wow, they are going through absolute hoops to defend Lampard esp. Steve Nicol. Absolutely feckin embarrassing. Credit to the presenter for having a go at Nicol there.
Shocking really. The board never expect him to qualify for CL spot anyway in the first place after losing Hazard, ESPN have no brain. This season was used to identify the problems and evaluate Lampard as a manager. Qualify for Europa League with good football alone is enough for the board to back him next season imo. But, I still fancy their chance above Leicester anyway.

Prodigal7

That’s surprising as ESPN is a really ABU channel with their pundits. Maybe the presenter thought he needed to balance the conversation a bit.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah baffling that they'd come out with this after that performance - I'd say clearly Lampard's worst of the season.

Amarsdd

That’s surprising as ESPN is a really ABU channel with their pundits. Maybe the presenter thought he needed to balance the conversation a bit.
That particular presenter is usually reasonable from the videos I've seen. And he particularly likes to get on the nerves of Nicol.

Amarsdd

Yeah baffling that they'd come out with this after that performance - I'd say clearly Lampard's worst of the season.
I liked Lampard as a player and thought good of him for trying to play good football as a manager. But this sort of stuff throughout the season has made me start to slightly hate Lampard as a manager.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I liked Lampard as a player and thought good of him for trying to play good football as a manager. But this sort of stuff throughout the season has made me start to slightly hate Lampard as a manager.
I think he's generally done quite well - for me I like that he's willing to acknowledge when he's gotten an initial shape wrong and adjust mid game accordingly. Our substitutes from the restart have generally been doing well, as an example.

That said, I think he becomes complacent - once something works, he's inclined to stick with it instead of tailoring his approach enough to the opposition. Obviously the top sides will generally have a defined way of playing, but Chelsea aren't at that top level right now and aren't able to dictate games from start to finish.

The match that encapsulated this to a T was the 2-1 against Arsenal at the Emirates - Lampard got his shape completely wrong solely because we'd done fairly well with 3 at the back in the previous handful of matches. This was an example of him not properly thinking about how to cope with the opposition, but he then turned it around by subbing off Emerson and completely changing the shape after 30 odd minutes.

Morpheus 7

This. I was about to put it up. Why is Lampard immune from criticism. They have lost 11 games in the league and it's just the players, clear agenda and biased that's he's not questioned now.

Amarsdd

I think he's generally done quite well - for me I like that he's willing to acknowledge when he's gotten an initial shape wrong and adjust mid game accordingly. Our substitutes from the restart have generally been doing well, as an example.

That said, I think he becomes complacent - once something works, he's inclined to stick with it instead of tailoring his approach enough to the opposition. Obviously the top sides will generally have a defined way of playing, but Chelsea aren't at that top level right now and aren't able to dictate games from start to finish.

The match that encapsulated this to a T was the 2-1 against Arsenal at the Emirates - Lampard got his shape completely wrong solely because we'd done fairly well with 3 at the back in the previous handful of matches. This was an example of him not properly thinking about how to cope with the opposition, but he then turned it around by subbing off Emerson and completely changing the shape after 30 odd minutes.
All those things you mentioned are signs of a young inexperienced manager having to learn on the job and a big job at that. That's something every young manager has to go through however good or bad. I was more talking about how pundits have to constantly defend him whatever may be the situation. That particular annoyance is leading me to slightly hate Lampard as a manager.

el3mel

No chance for them to sack Lampard. They're taking the long rebuild route this time.

However if they end up finishing outside top 4 after being there for the whole season it'll be a disaster for the confidence and atmosphere around the club and will reflect really poorly on his managerial capabilities.

However I don't this will happen at the end. Leicester will end up being the one to finish outside top 4 and except for us, there's no other team pushing for it. Wolves and Sheffield United aren't good enough to threaten any top 4 team for their place.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
All those things you mentioned are signs of a young inexperienced manager having to learn on the job and a big job at that. That's something every young manager has to go through however good or bad. I was more talking about how pundits have to constantly defend him whatever may be the situation. That particular annoyance is leading me to slightly hate Lampard as a manager.
Ah gotcha, makes sense. For me it's odd because I reckon the pendulum has swung too far - earlier this season he was getting absolutely blasted by pundits; now apparently his farts smell like cinnamon rolls to them. I'd argue the truth is somewhere in the middle - I think he's showing promising signs of being a very good manager, but he'll have to do significant work to get to that level.

Morpheus 7

Earlier in the season Tammy was being compared favroubly against Rashford by actual United fans.

He's made good strides this season and has actually surprised me (pleasantly as an England fan sadly as a Chelsea fan) but main man is a bit extreme, in terms of wingers alone Sancho and Sterling are probably higher in the que for that role.
Don't compare Tammy to Marcus. Rashford absolutely embarrassed Chelsea when he's played against you'se.
Marcus Rashford has scored 20 goals and has six assists so far, he would have got more except for a serious back injury. Any team in the world would take Marcus Rashford, he's a big game player that is only going to get better. Rivalry aside, Rashford is on course to be the best around. Better service next season will confirm this.

Gasolin

It would crack me up big time to see Chelsea go outside of the CL spots and into the EL. The faces of Ziyesh and Werner for choosing that Chelsea side would be priceless! I would root for that to happen.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This. I was about to put it up. Why is Lampard immune from criticism. They have lost 11 games in the league and it's just the players, clear agenda and biased that's he's not questioned now.
Better players could help Lampard to make improvement you know. Expectation was never top 4 anyway.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Chelsea's defense is so poor, easily worst in the top 6-7 teams. Maybe it's because of quality defenders or not getting much help from midfielders. Too many individual mistakes too.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I find it hard to hate on Chelsea these days because what they're doing lacks cynicism. Lampard was a good appointment. He is Mr Chelsea and he promotes young players. Sure, there's growing pains, but he's done well enough.

He doesn't get criticized as much for a simple reason. It's Chelsea. It's not Manchester United. Still a big, big difference in terms of exposure and expectations.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I am sure expectation was to be better than the PE teacher. So let them try to show that?
Last time after the Spurs game you said our 4th is gone. And look at now. Quality matters & reflects who deserves the top 4.

Not saying Lampard will absolutely do Ole to turn it around when there are better quality players, but just like Ole, Lampard also deserves to be given a chance to make improvement in his squad first. If he turns up still shite next season, happy days for us.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think their squad is on par if not better than ours.

But they're royally fecking it up

Which is marvelous
Have always felt that o paper we had a team than Chelsea. Simply put they don't have
A keeper as good as DDG
A CB as good as Maguire
Fullbacks as good as ours
Any CF as good as Martial
Any attack minded/creative CMs as good as Bruno or Pogba
Heck any young player as good as Greenwood

The above is obviously a very simplistic take. Many would argue that some of those are close contests or in Chelsea's favour but I'd pick ours.

In Kovacic and Kante they probably have better CMs in deep or box to box roles than Fred and Mctominay. And their depth in attack is better too. I don't they'd have RLC playing every game due to 1 injury like we had with mighty Periera and Lingard.

But all in all, if happily take our squad over theirs. For one they haven't got a defense. Absolutely useless in this department. Azpiladavidguetta seems to be their best defender and he's about three hundred years old.

Tarrou

Any chance they'll sack him? You have to wonder why they didn't buy anyone in January

amolbhatia50k

ESPN is just meant for entertainment. Their level of "analysis" is surface level waffle, and I'm being kind. Plus they all have their agendas and in particular dislike United. But, like I said, it's mostly a show about entertainment value.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Never been a fan of Tammy Abraham tbh but he seems to be getting worse. I can see why Chelsea went in big for Werner.
He had one purple patch where he scored around 7 goals in 3 games. People went on and on about how every young player should go out on loan to championship and some even suggested Rashford should be loaned out. Now we have players like Rashford and Greenwood who had very good seasons, players didn't go out on loan.

He is good player though, looks like he has all the attributes needed for a 9.

amolbhatia50k

As for Lampard, it's a strange one to judge. I thought out of Ole and Frank, the latter was displaying traits of a potentially top manager early on in the season. Tactically and systematically, the football appeared to be more progressive and advanced than what we were under Ole. With the signing of Bruno and return of Pogba, we've completely transformed and that's either given Ole's team a bump/purple patch or truly allowed his ideas and management to shine through depending on your perspective. However, Chelsea, as the season has grown older, haven't really built on their early promise. If anything their defensive peformances show no improvement and possibly have even regressed and their season appears to be meandering rather than progressing.

Having said the above, Ole has had, what is it, nearly 200 million to spend of new signings and Lampard has had a transfer ban. So, while I think Chelsea are a football club that should demand excellence and if they feel Lampard appears evidently to be average or decent that shouldn't cut it, like it shouldn't for us. But there's an argument to be made that every manager deserves at least one /half a season having had a window to sign some players.

Gasolin

Last time after the Spurs game you said our 4th is gone. And look at now. Quality matters & reflects who deserves the top 4.

Not saying Lampard will absolutely do Ole to turn it around when there are better quality players, but just like Ole, Lampard also deserves to be given a chance to make improvement in his squad first. If he turns up still shite next season, happy days for us.
That is true! I was truly devastated but you’re right, we made it!!! I just hope Chelsea has a mental block. It will be an interesting trauma for them if it were to happen.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Start of the season, before we played Utd I don't think Chelsea fans on here expected top 4. I said 5th in that thread iirc, because we swapped Hazard for Pulisic, which is a downgrade, brought a couple of Championship players we had on loan back in Mount and Abraham. Lampard is in first premier league season. Pretty sure we hired Lampard as the club thought we'd have a terrible season and wanted keep fans on side. Unlike with Sarri last year.

We've overachieved to be 3rd, the only reason we're that high is other teams had big problems as well.

Thing that bothers me is everyone digging Kepa, he's an easy target. A lot of our players have been woeful at times this season. Game yesterday was a good example!