(2019) Series of blasts in Sri Lanka killing 300

Interval

Level
At least 20 people are reported to have been killed and more than 200 injured in explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka.

At least six explosions have been reported. Three churches in Kochchikade, Negombo and Batticaloa were targeted during Easter services.

The Shangri La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury hotels, all in Colombo, were also hit.

Easter Sunday is one of the major feasts in the Christian calendar.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-48001720

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Over 100 people dead reportedly.

RIP. Clear that it was designed to hurt their tourism and the Christians there :(

Dudu

Utter uttter choas here. Thought these days were behind us after the war ended.

Local media in Sri Lanka are reporting that the casualties are well in excess of 200. More than 400+ injured.

Absolutely shocked and saddened.

Interval

Level
Utter uttter choas here. Thought these days were behind us after the war ended.

Local media in Sri Lanka are reporting that the casualties are well in excess of 200. More than 400+ injured.

Absolutely shocked and saddened.
Jeeeeez. Any sense on who or what could be behind this?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Tamils doing it doesn't make sense given they won't target christians over Sinhalese especially since some proportion of Tamils are Christians themselves.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Terrible news, really depraved knowing how busy it would be too.

Dudu

Reports of a 7th blast from local media.. also in Colombo, Dehiwala.

What is happening?! :(

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Utter, utter cowards deigned to cause anarchy.

Calling them animals would be disrespectful to the animal kingdom.

Dudu

8th blast reported. Another one. Colombo again.

Islandwide curfew imposed from 6am to 6pm. Complete loss for words..

Norris

I am really lost for words. Cowardice act from whoever are responsible for this.
Deepest condolences to the families who have lost their loved one's and sincere prayers for those battling for their lives.

KM

Had to change the thread title :(

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
fecking horrible man. So difficult to fathom over 150 people dying in an attack :(

NoLogo

Jeez. That's horrible news. :(

I really don't get what drives these people to kill other people that have done nothing to them apart from believing in a different god or belong to a different ethnicity. This is all so insanely stupid. :mad:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Absolutely terrible. :(
Rest In Peace.

KM

Deleting posts of speculation. Let's only post confirmed news please. Cheers.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Tragic news to wake up to :(

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Am very confused. Why attack Sri Lanka if it's not the tigers.

Very sad as well but I feel it's almost useless to react to it anymore. It just angers me more than makes me sad.

We need to fix this. Something has to happen. World needs to give these issues more attention. It's not fair. I feel like I'm part of the problem worried about 1st world things when at least s good portion of my efforts should be towards ending this crap whatever it is.

What exactly does this kind of attack even achieve I dont even know

Dudu

Ministry of Defence confirms official death toll at 207 with 450 injured. Expects both figures to rise. Most of the blasts were 'suicide bombs'

Several arrests have been also been made. No mention of a responsible group or motive 'until investigations are complete.'

Last edited:

freeurmind

weak willed
Just awful. RIP to the victims. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Five British amongst the dead.

Not that any life lost is more or less important than another.

Dudu

https://www.france24.com/en/20190421-sri-lanka-bomber-queued-hotel-buffet-then-unleashed-devastation

Chilling account of how events took place at the Cinnamon Grand (one of the hotels targeted):

The suicide bomber waited patiently in a queue for the Easter Sunday breakfast buffet at Sri Lanka's Cinnamon Grand hotel before setting off explosives strapped to his back.

Carrying a plate, the man, who had registered at the hotel the night before as Mohamed Azzam Mohamed, was just about to be served when he set off his devastating strike in the packed restaurant, a manager at the Sri Lankan hotel said.

"There was utter chaos," said the manager, who spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity as he is not allowed to speak for the company.

The Taprobane restaurant at the hotel was having one of its busiest days of the year for the Easter holiday weekend.

"It was 8:30 am and it was busy. It was families," the manager told AFP.

"He came up to the top of the queue and set off the blast," he added.

"One of our managers who was welcoming guests was among those killed instantly."

The bomber also died. Parts of his body were found intact by police and taken away.

Other hotel officials told how the bomber, a Sri Lankan, checked in giving an address that turned out to be false, saying he was in the city for business.

Just Pure Evil.

Local media reporting that the death toll is over 300. So far 13 arrests have been made. Still little to no information on motive and reasoning.

MDFC Manager

https://www.france24.com/en/20190421-sri-lanka-bomber-queued-hotel-buffet-then-unleashed-devastation

Chilling account of how events took place at the Cinnamon Grand (one of the hotels targeted):

The suicide bomber waited patiently in a queue for the Easter Sunday breakfast buffet at Sri Lanka's Cinnamon Grand hotel before setting off explosives strapped to his back.

Carrying a plate, the man, who had registered at the hotel the night before as Mohamed Azzam Mohamed, was just about to be served when he set off his devastating strike in the packed restaurant, a manager at the Sri Lankan hotel said.

"There was utter chaos," said the manager, who spoke to AFP on condition of anonymity as he is not allowed to speak for the company.

The Taprobane restaurant at the hotel was having one of its busiest days of the year for the Easter holiday weekend.

"It was 8:30 am and it was busy. It was families," the manager told AFP.

"He came up to the top of the queue and set off the blast," he added.

"One of our managers who was welcoming guests was among those killed instantly."

The bomber also died. Parts of his body were found intact by police and taken away.

Other hotel officials told how the bomber, a Sri Lankan, checked in giving an address that turned out to be false, saying he was in the city for business.

Just Pure Evil.

Local media reporting that the death toll is over 300. So far 13 arrests have been made. Still little to no information on motive and reasoning.
That is really beyond disturbing. Might as well have been a remote controlled drone, that arsehole.