2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hmm. Thank you. Big implications for Dems in 2024 obviously.
Screw identity politics and labeling, and start talking about the economy and how they are gonna help the middle class. Otherwise, they lose.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Trump's record on the economy (pre Covid) was actually looking good for him. Without Covid pandemic this election wouldn't even be close I don't think despite him being the obnoxious SOB that he is.

Why can't the republicans find somebody who puts the economy first and isn't a racist moron?
They probably can, but would he have beaten Trump in the primaries?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Was Hillary offering something to Latino voters that Biden did not?

Or has the Trump presidency given a number of Latino voters and communities the impetus to move to the GOP, a bit like Johnson and Brexit did for Red Wall ex-Labour voters?
In regards to Texas, Hispanic populations trend more heavily towards the south and west of the state which are heavily reliant on oil & gas. The GOP has brainwashed them into thinking Biden will shut that industry down by adopting Green New Deal policies, even though he’s basically said he wouldn’t and the industry boomed in the first place under Obama.
I was asleep when Texas happened and haven’t looked at it at all, obviously the flip didn’t happen but has it gone stronger red overall?
I wouldn’t say it has veered strongly red, just reverted to the norm where we would’ve expected before overly positive polling. We have another election cycle or two before it turns blue, which is what most have been saying from the start.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One thing is for certain, Latinos cannot be looked at as a single voting bloc going forward.
Who was the black chap on CNN this morning (UK time)? He nailed it. Greater turn out is not necessarily a purely Democrat advantage, so Republicans can stop suppressing the vote now. Minorities are complex and shouldn’t just be assumed to be anti-Republican either, there’s plenty of conservative minority demographics.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Polling predicted Biden to win, he is gonna win. Despite that actually the polling is worse than in 2016 (when IMO it was quite accurate actually), most of people are simply gonna say polling predicted Biden to win, and he won, so polling is good.
At least we will know better and ignore the charlatans

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's just a stupid take isn't it? Since their fecked up EC system I can't write that every vote counts the same, but at least each electoral vote counts the same. The 60 or so votes that are still open are worthless without the rest that get a candidate to 270.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Who was the black chap on CNN this morning (UK time)? He nailed it. Greater turn out is not necessarily a purely Democrat advantage, so Republicans can stop suppressing the vote now. Minorities are complex and shouldn’t just be assumed to be anti-Republican either, there’s plenty of conservative minority demographics.
Heard it from Jason Johnson in MSNBC earlier today. Makes a lot of sense.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I think that is a sound conclusion, but (and sorry if this is an obvious question) do you think the Republicans have got so used to voter suppression that it will take more than a few voices to change that behaviour?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Was Hillary offering something to Latino voters that Biden did not?

Or has the Trump presidency given a number of Latino voters and communities the impetus to move to the GOP, a bit like Johnson and Brexit did for Red Wall ex-Labour voters?
IMO, 5 factors -

Latinos were the only group that had muted support for Biden in the primary (it's why Bernie won Nevada, California, Colorado, and came close in Texas)
There were no Latino speakers at the DNC compared to more than a dozen in 2016.
The Biden campaign did not have a door-to-door canvassing operation in most of the country (the few places that had it, ran it independently, with very good results), while the Trump campaign did
A lot of Latinos have been socially conservative
Cubans are a special case.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Preliminary exit poll shows black percentage of the vote down in MI, PA, WI. Could be that increased turnout was white turnout.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I think that is a sound conclusion, but (and sorry if this is an obvious question) do you think the Republicans have got so used to voter suppression that it will take more than a few voices to change that behaviour?
Of course they won’t stop. It’s not just voter suppression, it’s targeted with laser precision so it will always help them.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
IMO, 5 factors -

Latinos were the only group that had muted support for Biden in the primary (it's why Bernie won Nevada, California, Colorado, and came close in Texas)
There were no Latino speakers at the DNC compared to more than a dozen in 2016.
The Biden campaign did not have a door-to-door canvassing operation in most of the country (the few places that had it, ran it independently, with very good results), while the Trump campaign did
A lot of Latinos have been socially conservative
Cubans are a special case.
Thanks for that - very insightful.

I would hope that the DNC doesn't brush this under the carpet with the conclusion that "if there was no COVID we would have had a better ground game so no reason to panic"

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I often find minorities to be naturally deeply conservative. I am an African living in England and that's my experience among African and Arabs here. They vote left out of self preservation, not out of ideological beliefs.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So in the US people ring your doorbell and tell you to vote for X, much like Jehova's witnesses? I'd love that in The Netherlands just to see what kind of people they send.

Affirmation

If it goes to Trump, that is a major boost to him. Also an egg on the face for Fox. They called it to Biden like 12-13 hrs ago or something
The thing is, Maricopa is going to be mostly Democratic votes right? So I don't understand how they see it going another way plus AP already called it.

Revan

Assumptionman
So in the US people ring your doorbell and tell you to vote for X, much like Jehova's witnesses? I'd love that in The Netherlands just to see what kind of people they send.
They also sent me sms (yes, sms) every few days telling me for whom I should vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.