2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Definitely feels like ‘STOP THE COUNT!’ is going to become an all time classic.
I thought it was a Democrat cry until I realised I'd misread it....

Don't know if this is on here already so apologies if so

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
People getting their hopes up that President Fart will in prison in four years time, I’m pretty sure if he runs again in 2024 he’ll win. Would’ve won this time if not for COVID, now the GOP have four years of blaming everything bad on the dems as well. I think he’ll be very tempted.
No chance. In 4 years from now he'll be even more of a demented, incoherent shambles than he is now - that's if he lives that long. And there's all the court cases to come against him and his businesses.

Hamnat

Will someone explain to me (like I'm stupid) what a runoff is?
A state sets its rules for winning the seat at a certain threshold to be called the winner outright. So in GA for example its 50% in the Purdue Ossoff race. One has to get over 50% to win the seat outright and avoid a runoff. If one doesnt get the 50 % there will be a seperate election date scheduled where voters come vote again specifically for that.

Those usually have lower turnout because they arent tied to the larger General election or Midterm. The hope for democrats in this case is the voters realize that they DESPERATLY need those Senate seats for a potential Biden presidency and they come turnout and get the votes this time.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think its another election from scratch.
Basically, but between only those two candidates. I may be mistaken but there were likely some other candidates in that race that meant no clear winner could be declared, so they reduce it to the top two and try again.

edit: in that race someone needed to get over 50% and neither of them achieved that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think its another election from scratch.
A state sets its rules for winning the seat at a certain threshold to be called the winner outright. So in GA for example its 50% in the Purdue Ossoff race. One has to get over 50% to win the seat outright and avoid a runoff. If one doesnt get the 50 % there will be a seperate election date scheduled where voters come vote again specifically for that.

Those usually have lower turnout because they arent tied to the larger General election or Midterm.
Thanks! Sounds awful.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Will someone explain to me (like I'm stupid) what a runoff is?
When no candidate wins 50%+ of the votes, the two top placed candidates face off against each other in another election. Seems to be rare in the US, though.

Red Stone

Rick Santorum is a grown-ass wad of frothy discharge sitting there in a suit and fecking Converse sneakers. Why do CNN think he's still relevant?

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
No chance. In 4 years from now he'll be even more of a demented, incoherent shambles than he is now - that's if he lives that long. And there's all the court cases to come against him and his businesses.
He'll be 80 so surely not.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
Maybe, and perhaps the last few years of both British and American politics have left me overly pessimistic.

However, nothing about Donald Trump’s character, ethics and values has turned off the 70 million ish people that voted for him this time, what makes you think their standards would be higher in four years? Especially if running against Harris who probably wouldn’t attract as many as the white male population as Biden has.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Trump: “don’t use mail in ballots”

GOP: “you can’t count mail in ballots until after the polls close”

Trump & GOP: “WhY aRe ThErE nO tRUmP mAiL bAlLoTs”

Djemba-Djemba

Has there been any updates at all or just nothing to substantial enough?
Biden camp said earlier they think their lead will be cut in the next batch of votes counted in AZ I think because it's from rural areas.

But that people shouldn't panic because they expect to stretch their lead again after that and ultimately they're confident they'll win the state.

This was on CNN about 2 hours ago.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The best thing about all of this is that there's a chance that Trump will lose all of his assets to pay back his loans and deal with the amount of civil cases brought against him. Very, very small chance, but it'll help me sleep tonight.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

This question is so poorly worded, how on earth was this allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.