2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolina Red

Staff
Biden will hold his victory speech at 800P EST
Clemson fans around me are losing their shit over this, too. The speech is going to happen 30 minutes into our game against Notre Dame :lol:

“How dare they?!?! His speech isn’t as important as #1 vs #4 in the country!!!”

SirAF

Ageist
Clemson fans around me are losing their shit over this, too. The speech is going to happen 30 minutes into our game against Notre Dame :lol:

I saw that on Twitter :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

:lol: did you see Scott Hanson’s tweet earlier about it all finishing in time for college football?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Some of the Biden defending is a bit odd (not so much the dementia clarifications, more the policy stuff), you must have known many didn't like him regardless of Trump? I get that when votes were at stake it was pragmatic to be all in on the guy, but with Trump on his way out and Biden almost certainly in place for the next 4, the stanning seems a bit much.

I guess the giddiness is to be expected.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Does Trump have any positive achievements as president?
Of course he does. He was bound to, even just by accident. Especially as anything his office and government does gets credited to him.

Appointing three supreme court justices alone makes his Presidency hugely influential. Which is obviously terrible from a liberal POV but still something any President would claim as an achievement.

Google tells me there were bills with bi-partisan support like the First Step Act and laws bringing in harsher punishments for people who abuse animals. Also introduced transperency laws that allow pharmacists to share prescription prices, signed in laws to help combat sex-trafficking, created a hotline to help veterans that is largely staffed by veterans, funded prevention programs for veteran suicide, brought in up to 12 weeks of parental leave to federal workers, etc. All of those are mini-achievements that will be fixed to his record.

I've seen at least some neutral commentators point to achievements in the middle east and in the fight against ISIS too, though I don't know enough about that to comment.

Basically it's impossible to be president for 4 years and not have at least some good things happen in that time that can be credited to you.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Meanwhile - the rest of us keep disliking (hatin?) Notre Dame and not caring about Clemson.

Red Stone

I've rewatched Van Jones after the announcement several times and I'm seeing the celebrations in the streets now. If you can't understand why Donald Trump has been such a dangerous and downright wrong President for a diverse nation like the US after watching this I have no hope for you. That was the catharsis after four years of pain. An outright racist was elected by a huge portion of the population and has used his mandate to spread hate and animosity throughout his time in office, and his idea has been rejected by the populace today. This election is acceptance of all Americans. Imagine what it feels like to know that your country supports you after all and that you have a government that isn't actively working to hold you down.

Truly the most important election in decades, if not ever.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Not seen much from that snake Devin Nunes. Thought he would have been one of the first defending Trump. Did come across his cow on twitter though and completely missed this episode.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The first civil war worked out really well for them, didn't it? I've been thinking alot recently about the sight of a thousand pot bellied, AR-15 wielding bumpkins called Boomer or Chuck standing on a hill chanting about how they're gonna feck up the North..... And then an army of soldiers who are actually trained to use their weapons come over the horizon supported by M1 tanks and a literal shit ton of drones.

Arming yourself to protect against tyrannical governments was a good idea when everyone had single shot pistols.

ChaddyP

I wrote it jokingly but her mother is Indian and her father is Jamaican.

Now if you're definition of African-American is black then yes she is. However, if it's either somebody who descended from slaves or a more recent African migrant then she wouldn't be "African-American".

None of this should really matter, I'm not somebody who tell her what she is or isn't, her background doesn't invalidate her as a black woman or a woman of colour (whichever nomenclature you prefer).

I think this is something which is beyond the scope of this thread and perhaps something that I might be out of my jurisdiction commenting on but here we are.
im not sure if you know but all Black Jamaicans are decended from slaves. The indigenous people of Jamaica were Arawak indians. They were all killed off by colonists. West Africans were then imported on to the island like cattle to work sugar cane plantations. So if her father is Black and Jamaican he a descended from slaves thus...she was as well. The man is from Browns Town St Anne. He like 90 percent of Jamaicans are of African Heritage

Carolina Red

Staff
The first civil war worked out really well for them, didn't it? I've been thinking alot recently about the sight of a thousand pot bellied, AR-15 wielding bumpkins called Boomer or Chuck standing on a hill chanting about how they're gonna feck up the North..... And then an army of soldiers who are actually trained to use their weapons come over the horizon supported by M1 tanks and a literal shit ton of drones.

Arming yourself to protect against tyrannical governments was a good idea when everyone had single shot pistols.
Whatever you are mentally picturing, it is him.

He honest to god looks and dresses exactly like a comedy caricature of a fat ignorant redneck.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

They’ve been edging, LARPing cosplayers for over 150 years. They’re getting close.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
im not sure if you know but all Black Jamaicans are decended from slaves. The indigenous people of Jamaica were Arawak indians. They were all killed off by colonists. West Africans were then imported on to the island like cattle to work sugar cane plantations. So if her father is Black and Jamaican he a descended from slaves thus...she was as well. The man is from Browns Town St Anne. He like 90 percent of Jamaicans are of African Heritage
I'm aware and I didn't want to cone across as some sort of authority on the subject. Anecdotally I've know carribean/West Indian people who don't think of themselves as Africans but that's by the by.

What I think is more is at what point to people stop being one thing and start being another?

As time passes African-Americans become further separated from Africa. I think labels such as African-American can be dangerous in that they make black Americans seem non-American when in fact they're some of the most American people there are owing to their long history in America. To use a cliché "they're American as apple pie".

I would apply the same logic to many Americans of European descent. How Anglo-Saxon are the supposed WASP Americans?

If we go back far enough we can claim heritage from Africa but would that be right?

Again, I don't want to tell people what their identity is but eventually groups become so distant from their origins that the people begin to bear less resemblance culturally from their origins.

We just also bear in mind how much of the African diaspora's history has been stripped from them through slavery.

As I said before, this topic is beyond the scope of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.