2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This again?
I wrote it jokingly but her mother is Indian and her father is Jamaican.

Now if you're definition of African-American is black then yes she is. However, if it's either somebody who descended from slaves or a more recent African migrant then she wouldn't be "African-American".

None of this should really matter, I'm not somebody who tell her what she is or isn't, her background doesn't invalidate her as a black woman or a woman of colour (whichever nomenclature you prefer).

I think this is something which is beyond the scope of this thread and perhaps something that I might be out of my jurisdiction commenting on but here we are.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Perhaps but apparently Omar did a lot of groundwork in Minnesota while clearly, Kasich's endorsement did nothing for Biden in Ohio. In any case, AOC's frustration is understandable, in my opinion anyway.
I think we can all agree that Kasich is a non-entity, I think the comparison is duff though because Sherrod Brown is a beast of an organiser in Ohio with strong progressive credentials and labor links, but it still didn't make a dent. Ohio is just going that way whereas Minnesota is, I think, the state with the longest continuing run of going Democrat in the country.

Siorac

George Bush and his "Bushism" paled in comparison to Trump's Twitter rants and crazy speeches. It's mind boggling when I think about it. I thought Bush was the nadir of stupidity but Trump is all out insane.
Well, yeah, but Dick Cheney and the Iraq war... these are things hard to surpass. And arguably the Bush administration's financial deregulation did play a part in the 2008 crisis as well.

Let's just hope the Republicans will not keep electing increasingly more batshit candidates because they might just end the world eventually.

Siorac

Obviously there's a big difference between both states. Ohio has been trending R in recent cycles and is basically a red state. MN has been blue for generations, so its difficult to reduce how both candidates did in either state because of tangential politicians from those states. The Trump cult had their affairs in order and came out in massive numbers, which would of course make states previously trending red easily go red this time.
I think we can all agree that Kasich is a non-entity, I think the comparison is duff though because Sherrod Brown is a beast of an organiser in Ohio with strong progressive credentials and labor links, but it still didn't make a dent. Ohio is just going that way whereas Minnesota is, I think, the state with the longest continuing run of going Democrat in the country.
Fair enough, you're both more knowledgeable about this than I am. It just irks me how, and this is not exclusive to the US, every time the right wing does well or better than expected, centrist immediately attack the left and tell it to shut up next time. So I'm very much the target demographic for AOC's messaging :)

Giggs86

Well, yeah, but Dick Cheney and the Iraq war... these are things hard to surpass. And arguably the Bush administration's financial deregulation did play a part in the 2008 crisis as well.

Let's just hope the Republicans will not keep electing increasingly more batshit candidates because they might just end the world eventually.
What about your boy Biden and the Iraq war?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s baffling that they are clinging to the poll watchers batshittery.

Like Pennsylvania would allow counts to occur if there weren’t poll watchers from the parties in the room. Not even bringing us the fact that PA’s state legislature is republican here, but the fact that it is only makes the delusion all the more acute.

I was told by many that Philadelphia couldn’t be trusted to tally properly because their counting process had to be illegal due to democrats controlling the city. Pittsburgh, too. They actually think that each city is its own little fiefdom that makes up its own rules. No mention or acknowledgement that counties & the like actually are in control of the ballot counts.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Fair enough, you're both more knowledgeable about this than I am. It just irks me how, and this is not exclusive to the US, every time the right wing does well or better than expected, centrist immediately attack the left and tell it to shut up next time. So I'm very much the target demographic for AOC's messaging :)
TBF I've not got a big problem with her going after Kasich :lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

The most important deregulation, the FSMA (1999) and CFMA (Dec 2000), were Clinton Admin deregulation. Bush Admin did one or two small things but it was mostly Clinton Admin and Republican Congress deregulation that caused the derivatives bubble and the great recession.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
George Bush and his "Bushism" paled in comparison to Trump's Twitter rants and crazy speeches. It's mind boggling when I think about it. I thought Bush was the nadir of stupidity but Trump is all out insane.
Not even remotely comparable, W & Trump (& their respective support).

Siorac

What about your boy Biden and the Iraq war?
He's not really my boy. I'm at best lukewarm about him but I'm happy that Trump and trumpism lost, even though I'm under no illusions that the world is rid of it. But it's a step in the right direction.

And I'm not sure what you're getting at with your tedious whataboutism. Yeah, Biden was absolutely wrong to vote for the Iraq war. He does have a responsibility. That responsibility, however, is dwarfed by that of Bush and Cheney... y'know, the people who were actually in power.

Siorac

The most important deregulation, the FSMA (1999) and CFMA (Dec 2000), were Clinton Admin deregulation. Bush Admin did one or two small things but it was mostly Clinton Admin and Republican Congress deregulation that caused the derivatives bubble and the great recession.
Neoliberalism/neoconservatism (really, the two are pretty much interchangeable when it comes to economics) fecking the world ever since Reagan promised to kill the government in a bathtub. What else is new?

Siorac

Basically that. Like I said earlier, he’s even worse in person.
But what's "ower"? He uses it twice so it doesn't seem to be a misspelling of over and it wouldn't make sense anyway. Is that some southern slang I don't know, or...

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The Ayrshire Daily News (Scotland) has their own headline take on today's events: "South Ayrshire Golf club owner loses 2020 presidential election"

Charlie Foley

Tucker Carlson is a real possibility...I still remember Jon Stewart destroying him and his dicky bow on crossfire.
“How old are you?”

“35”

“And you’re wearing a bowtie. And I’m not suggesting you’re not a smart guy, because those are not easy to tie.”

Carolina Red

Staff
"oedipus the salt"

"if you incest"
Well, it was more like my father in law’s dad was a widower and she was a widow. They met at church and ended up getting married when they were both like... 65ish years old.

But yeah, I question a lot about who she was producing kids with earlier in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.