2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Happy at Biden's "this is America response". Sick and tired of likes disingenuous politics of comparing 1 country to another then wondering why x isn't possible here. It's false equivalence just tricking the voter.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Happy at Biden's "this is America response". Sick and tired of likes disingenuous politics of comparing 1 country to another then wondering why x isn't possible here. It's false equivalence just tricking the voter.
amazing, thank you.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Here is that question:

Linsey Davis: Mr. Vice President, I want to talk to you about inequality in schools and race. In a conversation about how to deal with segregation in schools back in 1975, you told a reporter, “I don’t feel responsible for the sins of my father and grandfather. I feel responsible for what the situation is today, for the sins of my own generation, and I’ll be damned if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago.” You said that some 40 years ago, but as you stand here tonight, what responsibility do you think that Americans need to take to repair the legacy of slavery in our country?

And here is the leading Democratic presidential candidate’s answer, in full:

Joe Biden: Well, they have to deal with the … Look, there is institutional segregation in this country. And from the time I got involved, I started dealing with that. Redlining, banks, making sure that we are in a position where—

Look, we talk about education. I propose that what we take is those very poor schools, the Title 1 schools, triple the amount of money we spend from $15 to $45 billion a year. Give every single teacher a raise to the equal of … A raise of getting out of the $60,000 level.

No. 2, make sure that we bring in to the help with the stud—the teachers deal with the problems that come from home. The problems that come from home, we need… We have one school psychologist for every 1,500 kids in America today. It’s crazy. The teachers are required—I’m married to a teacher. My deceased wife is a teacher. They have every problem coming to them.

Make sure that every single child does, in fact, have three, four, and five-year-olds go to school. School! Not day care, school. We bring social workers into homes of parents to help them deal with how to raise their children. It’s not that they don’t want to help. They don’t know what— They don’t know what quite what to do. Play the radio. Make sure the television—excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night. The phone—make sure the kids hear words. A kid coming from a very poor school—er, a very poor background will hear 4 million words fewer spoken by the time they get there.

Davis: Thank you, Mr. Vice President.

Biden: No, I’m going to go like the rest of them do, twice over, OK? Because here’s the deal. The deal is that we’ve got this a little backwards. And by the way, in Venezuela, we should be allowing people to come here from Venezuela. I know Maduro. I’ve confronted Maduro. No. 2, you talk about the need to do something in Latin America. I’m the guy that came up with $740 million to see to it those three countries, in fact, change their system so people don’t have to chance to leave. You’re all acting like we just discovered this yesterday! Thank you very much
Donald Biden

freeurmind

weak willed
This has to be a parody right?

Drifter

American
Jimmy Kimmel Breaks Down Democratic Debate

Sparks Fly At Third Dem Debate

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

If the Democrats put Joe Biden up against Trump then they deserve another term of Trump. Biden has clearly got dementia issues. He forgets what he's saying half way through a sentence.

A Family friend once said to me that you know when you've got it bad when you stop on the landing for a breather and can't remember if you are going up or down. It's worse when you can't remember that you are debating Bernie Sanders and not the President.

He might be a great man but surely his shot at POTUS is behind him.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Even if he was, he's forgotten about it.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
The DNC may not have liked it, but Castro has done them a favour going after Biden.
The man is clearly unfit for the office he is standing for.

Though Bernie was not well, he got through on Medicare for all and student Debt as did Warren.

Pity they did not talk about Climate Change which really is the most important issue now.
But this the problem with this format.
Each serious issue needs to be debated on each day. Perhaps the Top 4 and the others on one day.

Harris trying to be funny made a joke of herself. Ridiculous candidate.
Pete is an empty suit. Plastic candidate.

Yang speaking on immigration would have been a red rag in front of a bull for Trumpsters.

Booker is another corporate suit.

Beto speaking on Gun Control was good.

Klobuchar is a waste of space.

Fully Fledged

Id agree with you about biden... but id say the same about bernie... its 4 years too late I think

its a long way out but a Warren Castro ticket would be my bet
I wouldn't argue with you about that. It's just a shame that it's too early for AOC. I see her and maybe Beto as the future of the Democratic party.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Good article describing the madness yesterday
Joe Biden says his plan will “guarantee that everyone will be able to have affordable insurance.” It is impossible to say that his plan will accomplish this. Biden’s plan would increase subsidies on the Affordable Care Act marketplace and lower the premium limit on marketplace plans from 9.86 to 8.5 percent of annual income. As Julián Castro noted, to Biden’s head-shaking, Biden’s own website says it would leave three percent of Americans uninsured, or more than 10 million people. It’s also pretty laughable to assert that lowering the premium limit to 8.5 percent and pegging subsidies to Gold instead of Silver plans will “guarantee” that everyone’s coverage will be affordable, particularly when this only applies to marketplace plans that cover just 11 million people.

Biden’s plan would limit deductibles to $1,000—which, while better than the astronomical deductibles millions have today, would certainly not be affordable for many families to pay in one go—but doesn’t appear to have any mechanism to lower employer-based plan premiums, which continue to rise. (Indeed, it’s hard to imagine that insurers wouldn’t dramatically raise premiums if deductibles were limited; another great reason to get rid of insurers entirely.) And merely promising “affordable insurance” is not enough, of course, when so many expenses are incurred even with affordable insurance, such drug costs and out-of-network bills.

Some health care concepts seem to escape him entirely. When pressing Sanders on the cost of his plan, Biden said that Sanders’s plan promised “a deductible in your paycheck.” This does not make sense. Clearly, he means a tax or a premium, but this is at least the second time he’s said this, and his team pushed the line out on Twitter as well. It is troubling that his proficiency with the jargon of health care financing is so loose after many months of campaigning, let alone after eight years of being vice president in the administration that passed the Affordable Care Act.

The oddest moment arose during a discussion as to whether Biden’s plan would “automatically” cover people. Sanders insisted that his plan was the “only one” that would prevent people going into “financial ruin because they suffered with a diagnosis of cancer.” Biden, as is his wont, said cancer was “personal” to him, and objected to Sanders’s contention: “Every single person who is diagnosed with cancer or any other disease can automatically become part of this plan. They will not go bankrupt because of that. They will not go bankrupt because of that. They can join immediately.”

But it is not true that a person facing such a diagnosis would “automatically” get Biden’s public option, because access to that public option will still be determined by a complicated system of premiums and subsidies—in other words, means testing.

This was also clear in his much-noted spat with Castro. Castro mentioned his grandmother, who had Type 2 diabetes but also had access to Medicare, and noted that Biden’s plan would require people to opt in, without being automatically covered. Biden took great issue with the assertion that people would have to “buy in,” leading to the dramatic moment that grabbed everyone’s attention—Castro poking fun at Biden’s memory, asking if he already forgot what he said. Castro was right: Biden did say that people could “automatically” get his “Medicare for choice” plan. But Biden said “buy in,” not “opt in”—so how could people “buy” in automatically?

When Sanders noted that the United States spends twice as much per capita on health care as other countries do, Biden replied: “This is America.” It would have been better if Sanders had finished his thought by noting that America spends twice as much as other countries for worse health care outcomes, but no matter. This is the essence of Biden’s defense of the broad status quo: a patriotic bumper sticker, felt with such keenness it’s hardly surprising that he doesn’t seem to understand anything else about the issue.

What is usually a dark joke—We’re Number One (In Gun Deaths and Obesity)!—was trotted out as an earnest defense of America’s absurd health care spending. American health care spending is high because we’re America, baby: We’ve got those big-ass trucks, Doritos Locos Tacos, and a healthcare system chock full of profiteering and blood-sucking greed. If you don’t like it, leave—for a country with single-payer.
https://newrepublic.com/article/155048/joe-biden-doesnt-seem-understand-health-care

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I find it hard to argue with this analysis about Beto s statement yesterday:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/13/politics/beto-orourke-guns-debate/index.html

Yet I have to say what he said is admirable and it can resonate if only we knew the Dems would turn out - but we know it will likely merely energize the gun nuts left and right. It will be interesting to see if Beto can indeed reach across the aisle on this - that seems far fetched during the election cycle itself.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I find it hard to argue with this analysis about Beto s statement yesterday:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/13/politics/beto-orourke-guns-debate/index.html

Yet I have to say what he said is admirable and it can resonate if only we knew the Dems would turn out - but we know it will likely merely energize the gun nuts left and right. It will be interesting to see if Beto can indeed reach across the aisle on this - that seems far fetched during the election cycle itself.
The gun loving nut afraid of the evil Dems 'takin' urr guns' vote is already baked in, I would guess.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
If you have watched the response from the Liberal MSM this morning , they are all putting the knife into Castro for his back and forth with Biden.
Its so obvious now if it has not been already, there is zero credibility with their coverage.

Biden is a joke of a candidate. But Castro was so mean.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Not sure why anyone is surprised by what comes outta Biden’s mouth. Old man’s been spouting crazy shit for years. Even prior to getting the VP gig. Makes you wonder how different things would be today if Obama tapped Hillary to be his VP instead of Biden.

InfiniteBoredom

Note that this is only the first batch of response, the poll is still on the field until Monday. He wants the attention I suppose.

Didn’t watch it live and couldn’t be arsed to catch up in full, but from the tidbits here and there it seems like a ‘ talk less, err less’ event. None of the ‘big’ moments i.e Sanders vs Biden or Castro vs Biden seem to generate an overwhelmingly positive response for one side or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.