2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I think Trump will narrowly beat Warren. I also think you should vote for her, if she's the candidate. The fact she might win and tepid attempts to slow the climate crisis can then resume, without Trump, is worth voting for. Tepid attempts will save many lives.
I understand where you are coming from.

But Bernie is far from done.

Those who speak the truth are free.
Warren does not understand this.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
My highly scientific analysis is that America elects the one they find most interesting.

The main thing Hillary, Romney, McCain, Kerry and Gore have in common is they were dull as feck.

Bernie is objectively the most interesting of the candidates. He has a personality that is easy to remember and his views aren't things Americans are used to.

Warren needs to make herself interesting. Start claiming her ancestors spoke to hear in a dream about how she had to save America from the white man. Something like that.
Nah if that was the case, Marianne Williamson will be higher in the polls.

macheda14

campaign trump being the GOAT again
More people on here need to acknowledge this. Honestly I have spent the last 20 minutes in a mixture of disbelief and hysterics. I’m calling it, we don’t exist, we are all extras in a political satire written by Armando Iannucci

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nah if that was the case, Marianne Williamson will be higher in the polls.
Only works in the general, is my theory. Cause normal people don't give a shit about primaries.

Marianne would totally win. She's fecking insane.

MTF

The Democratic party is hollowed out.
It has long ago abandoned the voters it claims to represent.

It is fully owned by corporations. Their preferred candidate has promised to work with Republicans who are currently supporting a traitor.

As for Bernie, he will recover and be out there fighting again for the people in a week.
By your utopian standards, there has never been a Democratic party. You'd probably call every Dem president of the 20th century a corporatist.

DOTA

What the feck does this even mean? feck sake
I guess that Sanders platform is largely him being honest about what he wants whereas Warren's is not. She's running in a complicated position where she has to both appear somewhat radical without freaking out the moderates. You can't be honest about things when that's your position. Sanders campaign is mainly him telling everyone they're capitalist pigs which is much easier to do honestly.

DOTA

Obama said nice things. His first campaign was way to the left of his presidency. A lot of us were left very sceptical of people who say nice things but we haven't seen them do it.

That's all of the democratic candidates apart from Bernie, who has done it, and Biden and Klobuchar who are proud that they don't say nice things.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The fact that only one of Sanders’s arteries was stented is likely meaningful, too. If multiple blood vessels are involved, the disease is usually more serious, and sometimes requires open-heart surgery for coronary-artery bypass grafts. Many people have undergone bypass surgery and continued to work for decades, including David Letterman and Bill Clinton. This is not apparently what’s happening in Sanders’s case, which bodes well for him.

The statement also noted that Sanders is currently “conversing and in good spirits.” If Sanders had suffered a major cardiac arrest and were sent to the intensive care unit, he would not be chatty.

Still, the campaign said it would be canceling Sanders’s public appearances until further notice. This would be expected for anyone undergoing coronary stenting. It’s important for doctors to monitor the patient in the days after the procedure to assure that symptoms improve and that no complications have been introduced. But there is no reason to suspect that, if all goes as well as expected, Sanders would be unable to appear on a debate stage in 12 days—and much less that he would be unable to campaign or perform the duties of the office of the president.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/10/bernie-sanders-stents-heart/599293/

Red Dreams

I guess that Sanders platform is largely him being honest about what he wants whereas Warren's is not. She's running in a complicated position where she has to both appear somewhat radical without freaking out the moderates. You can't be honest about things when that's your position. Sanders campaign is mainly him telling everyone they're capitalist pigs which is much easier to do honestly.
A man who understands.
Its the easiest thing to be honest.

To the second point. You cannot compromise with the devil. (A bit of Catholicism there ;) )
Do you really believe Warren can then dictate to the people who funded/own her? The American people will still be screwed....again.

But I do understand the danger of Trump. If it is any comfort. It will be difficult for him to win again.
But never discount the idiotic Democratic party to feck it up.

As for me I am still betting on Bernie.
Get better mate.

Amarsdd

A man who understands.
Its the easiest thing to be honest.

To the second point. You cannot compromise with the devil. (A bit of Catholicism there ;) )
Do you really believe Warren can then dictate to the people who funded/own her? The American people will still be screwed....again.

But I do understand the danger of Trump. If it is any comfort. It will be difficult for him to win again.
But never discount the idiotic Democratic party to feck it up.

As for me I am still betting on Bernie.
Get better mate.
That's what I think as well. So hopefully, the left or the liberals don't go for 100% purity or out policy and let a 99% evil win. That level of purity should be an ambition but realistically not the expectation.

caid

You should be voting against Trump whatever the candidate. They cant be worse than him. Not that i'd campaign on that basis or necessarily want the democrats to know that i'd vote for any old shit they put out. But i would.

MTF

FDR and JFK ring a bell?
You'd probably call JFK a corporatist if you were there. With his deep anti-communism (and use of the FBI for such purposes), investment in the military and space programs, initial involvement in Vietnam. I like JFK, but these things should remind you that you shouldn't be looking for a candidate based on passing some sort of 100% purity test.

Red Dreams

That's what I think as well. So hopefully, the left or the liberals don't go for 100% purity or out policy and let a 99% evil win. That level of purity should be an ambition but realistically not the expectation.
The Map is against Trump.
He wont win PA, WI and MI again. But he will run up the votes in other states he won.

There is no purity test imo.

Its simply right and wrong. To expect your representatives to represent the interests of the American people is not unrealistic.
Its just a basic principle.

But if we do not hold our representatives accountable, we are on a sliding slope.
We get what we have now.

Red Dreams

You'd probably call JFK a corporatist if you were there. With his deep anti-communism (and use of the FBI for such purposes), investment in the military and space programs, initial involvement in Vietnam. I like JFK, but these things should remind you that you shouldn't be looking for a candidate based on passing some sort of 100% purity test.
FDR was against the capitalists. I will look up the video I have seen of his speech later.
If his VP Henry Wallace had been the next President instead of the mass murderer Truman, the trajectory of this country would have been far better.

What Henry Wallace said.

“The really dangerous American fascist... is the man who wants to do in the United States in an American way what Hitler did in Germany in a Prussian way. The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power... They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective, toward which all their deceit is directed, is to capture political power so that, using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously, they may keep the common man in eternal subjection."

JFK simply did what was right when he could have taken an easier path.
That is simply we should expect our leaders to do.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

yeah thats gonna solve it, thanks liz
My opinion of her has gone the opposite way to her polling numbers. She might at least not squash the idea of real change?

MTF

FDR was against the capitalists. I will look up the video I have seen of his speech later.
If his VP Henry Wallace had been the next President instead of the mass murderer Truman, the trajectory of this country would have been far better.

What Henry Wallace said.

“The really dangerous American fascist... is the man who wants to do in the United States in an American way what Hitler did in Germany in a Prussian way. The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information. With a fascist the problem is never how best to present the truth to the public but how best to use the news to deceive the public into giving the fascist and his group more money or more power... They claim to be super-patriots, but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise, but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective, toward which all their deceit is directed, is to capture political power so that, using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously, they may keep the common man in eternal subjection."

JFK simply did what was right when he could have taken an easier path.
That is simply we should expect our leaders to do.
I don't see what it has to do with what I said about Kennedy, but I do notice that again you are quoting a man that didn't end up with the responsibilities of president. Its easy to write or to say the most perfect and progressive words about any issue, for a column or in a speech. Its much harder when you have to actually compromise in order to pass an imperfect version of your legislation rather than none at all. That's what you continue to hold against Warren, Biden and others that have actually been involved in governing for the past decades while Sanders mostly delivered rousing speeches and stayed on the sidelines of actual policy-making.

What's also interesting is that FDR, JFK and Henry Wallace were all rich men (which I think there's nothing wrong with). FDR and JFK were essentially aristocrats. Again, I'm not so sure you'd hail them as progressive champions if you were living in their times.

Red Dreams

I don't see what it has to do with what I said about Kennedy, but I do notice that again you are quoting a man that didn't end up with the responsibilities of president. Its easy to write or to say the most perfect and progressive words about any issue, for a column or in a speech. Its much harder when you have to actually compromise in order to pass an imperfect version of your legislation rather than none at all. That's what you continue to hold against Warren, Biden and others that have actually been involved in governing for the past decades while Sanders mostly delivered rousing speeches and stayed on the sidelines of actual policy-making.

What's also interesting is that FDR, JFK and Henry Wallace were all rich men (which I think there's nothing wrong with). FDR and JFK were essentially aristocrats. Again, I'm not so sure you'd hail them as progressive champions if you were living in their times.
Wallace did not become President because of his beliefs. The will of the people was subverted.
Biden simply took orders.
Warren talks the talk. But even now she is openly diluting what she supposedly stood for.

I have no problem with people voting to stop Trump.

I'm simply stating you have to stand for your beliefs instead of just being against someone else.

My bad I read FDR for JFK.
True JFK started out as an anti-communist.
But he changed as was proven by his working with Krushev to avoid nuclear war.

InfiniteBoredom

It takes astounding ignorance in this day and age to hail JFK as some sort of moral pillar and example a president should aspire to.

The JFK whose political career was funded and orchestrated by his very wealthy, extremely conservative father (who also was Nixon’s patron).

The JFK who in his bid to appear tough on communism to counter red baiting, escalated a war in South East Asia, costing millions of lives and created deep schisms in American society for decades to come.

The JFK who, as a Senator, wrote a book extolling the virtues of a corrupt as feck 19th century Republican Senator who acquitted Andrew Johnson’s impeachment, arguably quashing any hope of a fair reconstruction and undid the fruits of the Civil War

The JFK who, flexing his muscles, moved nuclear warheads into Turkey, bumbling as a result into the worst crisis mankind has ever faced regarding nuclear Armageddon, then freaked out and ended up having his brother cutting a secret deal with Moscow to have them extracted quietly while publicly painting himself as the saviour of mankind.

That JFK?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It takes astounding ignorance in this day and age to hail JFK as some sort of moral pillar and example a president should aspire to.

The JFK whose political career was funded and orchestrated by his very wealthy, extremely conservative father (who also was Nixon’s patron).

The JFK who in his bid to appear tough on communism to counter red baiting, escalated a war in South East Asia, costing millions of lives and created deep schisms in American society for decades to come.

The JFK who, as a Senator, wrote a book extolling the virtues of a corrupt as feck 19th century Republican Senator who acquitted Andrew Johnson’s impeachment, arguably quashing any hope of a fair reconstruction and undid the fruits of the Civil War

The JFK who, flexing his muscles, moved nuclear warheads into Turkey, bumbling as a result into the worst crisis mankind has ever faced regarding nuclear Armageddon, then freaked out and ended up having his brother cutting a secret deal with Moscow to have them extracted quietly while publicly painting himself as the saviour of mankind.

That JFK?
Don't forget the dozens of assassination attempts on Castro during his presidency.

InfiniteBoredom

Don't forget the dozens of assassination attempts on Castro during his presidency.
Yes, which ties into the nuclear crisis as well. Had he been really courageous and ‘honest’, acknowledging a legitimate state backed by the Cuban people instead of the Batista regime would’ve avoided much of the troubles, not to mention contributing to the welfare of the Cubans, not subjecting them to decades long embargoes, but of course his political survival took precedent, and he followed the US foreign policy consensus on that deal to a T.

The truth is JFK was very much a man and product of his time, and a vastly inferior president to LBJ, who was no saint either. He was a politician first and foremost and just as the current politicians, prioritised his survival. But hey, he went to the moon and got shot, so bestest president eva.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
By your utopian standards, there has never been a Democratic party. You'd probably call every Dem president of the 20th century a corporatist.
Is it really "utopian" to want the US to adopt policies that Europe implemented 50 years ago?

Calling the most beneficial, pragmatic plans "utopian" has been quite a marketing and PR success for the top 1%

Red Dreams

My point about FDR and JFK was that they were for ordinary people.

JFK supported the Civil Rights movement.
He established the Peace Corp.
He made Medicare a Legislative priority in 1961 though it was defeated narrowly the next year.
LBJ then succeeded in 1965.
Kennedy ordered the withdrawal from Vietnam via NSAM -263
Vietnam was LBJ's worst failure.

Red Dreams

Bernie will be at the debate on Oct 15th.

I am feeling good, and am fortunate to have good health care and great doctors and nurses helping me recover. And I am looking forward to sharing our vision for transforming this country at the next debate on October 15.

But the truth is, millions of Americans are not as lucky as I am right now.

Today in America, there are some 87 million Americans who are uninsured or underinsured.

That is unacceptable to me.

It is unacceptable to me that today in America, we end up spending almost twice as much as any other major country on health care, while our life expectancy continues to decline and our healthcare outcomes lag behind many other countries.

It is unacceptable to me that we give tax breaks to billionaires and large corporations while people are dying because they can't afford to get to a doctor or buy the medicine they need.

It is unacceptable to me that at meeting after meeting our campaign holds, I hear from people who have lost loved ones because they could not afford the unbelievably high cost of prescription drugs or from others who are forced to cut their pills in half due to the cost.

It is unacceptable to me that working class families and small businesses pay far more for healthcare than they can afford, and more than half a million Americans declare bankruptcy each year because they cannot pay off the outrageous cost of a medical emergency or a hospital stay.

And in my view it is long past time that we end the international embarrassment of the United States being the only major country on Earth that does not guarantee health care to all its citizens.

So thank you again for your well wishes – they mean a lot to Jane and me. It means a lot to us that supporters like you made more than 100,000 calls on the dialer as part of our Call to Win program last night. It means a lot to us that so many are signing up for canvasses, organizing meetings and ballot access events across the country this week. It means a lot to us that almost 8,000 people made a contribution to our campaign yesterday without us even asking.

Thank you.

None of us know when a medical emergency might affect us. And no one should fear going bankrupt if it occurs.

It is time for Medicare for All.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Biden can feck right off. He's been an embarrassment from the start. He has far too many scandals surrounding him and is definitely not the way forward for the Dems or the way back from Trump for the USA.

If he's just staying in to divert heat and play the fall guy then fine, but he certainly shouldn't be the Dems candidate. Might as well run Hillary again.

Last edited:

MTF

Is it really "utopian" to want the US to adopt policies that Europe implemented 50 years ago?

Calling the most beneficial, pragmatic plans "utopian" has been quite a marketing and PR success for the top 1%
That is not what I was arguing against. I don't think that a publicly funded and operated healthcare system is utopian. I think that arguing that the democratic party today has lost its way vs its "real" version of the 40s is distorted.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

White people are bad.
Why bad? They are just following tenants of identity politics. You can not argue for electing more women and minorities in Congress and Senate, and then complain about others preferring a woman candidate over yet another old white man for presidential election.

Red Dreams

That is not what I was arguing against. I don't think that a publicly funded and operated healthcare system is utopian. I think that arguing that the democratic party today has lost its way vs its "real" version of the 40s is distorted.
FDR

New Deal
Social Security
Minimum Wage

All helped working people

Clinton

NAFTA
Glass-Steagall repeal

All hurt working people but helped corporations.

In fact his tombstone will say 'NAFTA and Glass-Steagall'

..and Hillary's will say 'Trump'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.