2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Man should retire.
We have 30 year olds getting heartattacks. Keeping it from the public may be odd but we have a POTUS who has falsified medical reports. It seems very knee jerky to say that he can't run because he had a heart attack and that that somehow says a lot about his health condition. And no, I'm not a Bernie supporter - but I do respect the guy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We have 30 year olds getting heartattacks. Keeping it from the public may be odd but we have a POTUS who has falsified medical reports. It seems very knee jerky to say that he can't run because he had a heart attack and that that somehow says a lot about his health condition. And no, I'm not a Bernie supporter - but I do respect the guy.
He was already fading a bit in the polls so this won't help.

InfiniteBoredom

He's been gradually slipping over a longer period, at a time when Warren has been rising.
Again, this is not backed up by the actual data.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

He’s stayed stable since entering the race and seen some marginal gains since August. His base is a bit Trump like in that regard, they don’t change minds easily. State pollings also show this pattern when he remains competitive, with the only exception being Iowa where the largely white liberals caucus goers abandoned him for Warren.

I’ve long maintained that his best shot of getting the nomination is a brokered convention, because he’s not winning even a plurality of delegates, but let’s not obsfucate between facts and fictions here.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Again, this is not backed up by the actual data.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e..._democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

He’s stayed stable since entering the race and seen some marginal gains since August. His base is a bit Trump like in that regard, they don’t change minds easily. State pollings also show this pattern when he remains competitive, with the only exception being Iowa where the largely white liberals caucus goers abandoned him for Warren.

I’ve long maintained that his best shot of getting the nomination is a brokered convention, because he’s not winning even a plurality of delegates, but let’s not obsfucate between facts and fictions here.
Just because he's been stuck in a narrow range doesn't mean others aren't passing him. He was 2nd when he decided to run (despite Biden not having announced yet) and is now 3rd in most national polls. Warren started in single digits and is now ahead of him by double digits in most recent polls. So he has definitely slipped and is clearly in 3rd place. Even the link you provided (presumably as evidence to support your claim) lists him as having slipped from 23 to 17% from May. Warren during that same period has gone from 6 to 24%.

Last edited:

iKnowNothing

News of the heart attack will certainly result in some support dwindling for Bernie. Of course the Bernie Bros won't reconsider but the independents and those supporting other candidates may not flock towards Bernie anymore.

InfiniteBoredom

It’s almost as if one candidate’s consolidation of the bloated field doesn’t have to come at the expense of a particular another.

Sanders was at 17% when Warren was at 15 and he’s at 17 now when she’s at 24. His voters clearly don’t care and they are sticking by him, that’s not ‘fading’, that’s stagnation. Kamala Harris since the 2nd debate is what you’d call fading.

Quoting the 23% as proof of his bleeding support doesn’t work as you think it does. It’s as if saying Biden’s true number should constantly be the 40%+ he was polling at when even Oprah was included in the surveys.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Trump is desperate to run against Biden. If the Democrats make the mistake in doubling down on Biden due to this controversy Trump will win re-election probably even with the popular vote.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Trump is desperate to run against Biden. If the Democrats make the mistake in doubling down on Biden due to this controversy Trump will win re-election probably even with the popular vote.
The DNC does not want Warren even if she is willing to sell her soul.
They see the awkward policy wonk without charisma that we see.
The fact she is not authentic adds to her burden.

Trump will destroy her as he will braindead Biden.

But they are counting on one fact. That neither are morons that will lose MI,WI and PA.

A gamble.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
The man is 78 years old, fresh off the back of a fecking heart attack, vying for the most stressful job in the world in a job he'll start in over a year and stay in for 4-8 years.

I'm not in tune with the behaviour of the media and their agenda or whatever, but surely it is a bit mad like? I mean it is isn't it?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The man is 78 years old, fresh off the back of a fecking heart attack, vying for the most stressful job in the world in a job he'll start in over a year and stay in for 4-8 years.

I'm not in tune with the behaviour of the media and their agenda or whatever, but surely it is a bit mad like? I mean it is isn't it?
Depends on his overall health. The perception of simultaneously being very old and just having had a heart attack certainly won't help him. On the other hand he could leverage this entire episode as a narrative to promote the need for structural change in healthcare.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

It does seem a bit strange that the 4 people who look most likley to land arguably the most stressful and demanding job in the world are all over 70

Trump 73
Warren 70
Sanders 78
Biden 76

That seems very very strange ... I think trump was the only person over 70 when they started their first term... Now we have 3 more candidates

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
The DNC does not want Warren even if she is willing to sell her soul.
They see the awkward policy wonk without charisma that we see.
The fact she is not authentic adds to her burden.

Trump will destroy her as he will braindead Biden.

But they are counting on one fact. That neither are morons that will lose MI,WI and PA.

A gamble.
Realistically I believe Warren has by far the best chance of beating Trump. She is nowhere near as vulnerable as Biden in debate and she has a lot more ground to attack trump on than biden does.

Drifter

American
I like Bernie and his policies. But let's not kid ourselves , Bernie will be 79 in 2020 and with a grueling campaign ahead if he is nominated and a even more stressful one if he is made President. The doubts would always be on the peoples minds ,would he see out four years.

Red Dreams

Realistically I believe Warren has by far the best chance of beating Trump. She is nowhere near as vulnerable as Biden in debate and she has a lot more ground to attack trump on than biden does.
Trump wont debate whoever is the nominee.
So it will be turning out the base.

Democrats wont need to be convinced about how bad Trump is.
But who offers them policies to vote for.

In the end That is what will determine how big the win is including Congress which is essential to govern.
The concerns about Bernie are valid. But people trust him and he wont run if he is not fit.

The Map favours the Dems...which is my concern strangely enough.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Trump wont debate whoever is the nominee.
Hmm?

Depends on his overall health. The perception of simultaneously being very old and just having had a heart attack certainly won't help him. On the other hand he could leverage this entire episode as a narrative to promote the need for structural change in healthcare.
That's certainly what he'll try to do, but to be brutally honest I do think the incident killed any chance he had of becoming the nominee.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
i think in a normal year between similar candidates it would be the end for him but lots people realize he is literally the only one fighting for medicare for all. its not even about him, its about the tens of thousands of people who die each year due to lack of medical care.

Red Dreams

i think in a normal year between similar candidates it would be the end for him but lots people realize he is literally the only one fighting for medicare for all. its not even about him, its about the tens of thousands of people who die each year due to lack of medical care.
"Not Me Us" resonates.

You are right. Bernie is the only one putting forward real policies.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
That Trump ad everyone was laughing about.
Its aimed at his base and is excellent.

They will turn out for whom they believe in.

The DNC is playing the same old cards.
Stating the obvious that he is bad while offering nothing concrete.
Well it shouldn't matter anyway because you've been rambling like a lunatic that truth is God ....

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Hmm?

That's certainly what he'll try to do, but to be brutally honest I do think the incident killed any chance he had of becoming the nominee.
Sad but I agree. If he was 69 not 79 it would be different maybe but as is... not so much.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Sad but I agree. If he was 69 not 79 it would be different maybe but as is... not so much.
Easy to see him becoming mostly a figurehead for the progressives. Like Moses, leading them through the desert but not being able to enter the promised land.

Warren would be Joshua here, I suppose. Doing the dirty hand-to-hand fighting afterwards.

InfiniteBoredom

Easy to see him becoming mostly a figurehead for the progressives. Like Moses, leading them through the desert but not being able to enter the promised land.

Warren would be Joshua here, I suppose. Doing the dirty hand-to-hand fighting afterwards.
Nah.

Warren isn’t quite aligned with the Justice Democrats activists who are behind Sanders. She’s an old school New Deal regulator type who still believes in US institutions, ‘capitalist to my bones’ as she put it. Sanders base at this point, excluding the midwest union type who are disillusioned with politics in general and even on the whole might be conservative, wants a systemic change, tearing down the power structures so to speak.

There may be a marriage of convenience if Sanders himself cannot continue, but Warren won’t ever be fully embraced by that wing. And to be honest, I don’t even see ‘AOC and co’ as ideological heirs to Sanders.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Nah.

Warren isn’t quite aligned with the Justice Democrats activists who are behind Sanders. She’s an old school New Deal regulator type who still believes in US institutions, ‘capitalist to my bones’ as she put it. Sanders base at this point, excluding the midwest union type who are disillusioned with politics in general and even on the whole might be conservative, wants a systemic change, tearing down the power structures so to speak.

There may be a marriage of convenience if Sanders himself cannot continue, but Warren won’t ever be fully embraced by that wing. And to be honest, I don’t even see ‘AOC and co’ as ideological heirs to Sanders.
Well, it's far from a perfect allegory. More of a lazy one with Warren working against the GOPs towards gradually higher ideals on a practical level.

I mean, that conquest of Canaan...that wasn't pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.