2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
PETE BUTTIGIEG TOUTED THREE MAJOR SUPPORTERS OF HIS DOUGLASS PLAN FOR BLACK AMERICA. THEY WERE ALARMED WHEN THEY SAW IT.
In July, he released his campaign’s chief piece of policy outreach to black voters, called “The Douglass Plan: A Comprehensive Investment in the Empowerment of Black America.” The plan covers everything from criminal justice reform to public health care, education, and beyond. It proposes using federal contracting rules to increase the amount of contracts going to minority- and women-owned firms to 25 percent, and offers student loan deferment and forgiveness to Pell Grant recipients who go on to start businesses that employ at least three people.

Aside from not supporting Buttigieg, many of the South Carolinian signees share another quality, as well: They’re not black.

The campaign hasn’t publicly claimed that every supporter of the plan listed is African American, though it wouldn’t be hard to draw that implication: It was published in the HBCU Times, and the bylines and top-listed supporters are all black. To be sure, a multiracial coalition would be needed to push the Douglass Plan through Congress, but the campaign didn’t say that, either.

After publication, the Buttigieg campaign said it had sent the plan to the list of supporters and asked them to opt out if they did not want their name included on the list. That email also specified that the list was meant to represent “over 400 Black South Carolinians.”
https://theintercept.com/2019/11/15/pete-buttigieg-campaign-black-voters/

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
How did Bill Clinton campaign? Jimmy Carter? Genuine question.
I don't remember any slogan from Clinton's campaign either time and I was actively involved in that election as volunteer for Perot. Everyone where i lived just kept talking about how he went on Arsenio Hall and played the saxophone and everyone thought he was cool because of that. That era wasn't so sound bite focused as this one. People I remember talked about speeches not phrases. There really has been a shift in collective attention span IMO from 2000 to 2020 and not in a good way.
Carter I was too little but I just remember my parents talking about him being a nice peanut farmer.

But I think you are onto something that sloganeering probably goes in and out of favor depending on the era and dominant form of media.

Charlie Foley

How did Bill Clinton campaign? Jimmy Carter? Genuine question.
Clinton: “It’s the economy, stupid.” “It’s time to change America.”

Carter: “Not just peanuts.” “Peaches and cream.”

FDR was really good in 1940: “better a third term than a third rater.” :lol:

Abizzz

eat shit barack
Look at him. So rooted in reality he couldn't change it despite being the most powerful person on earth. Obama would be better off just shutting up for 2 decades.

Charlie Foley

That article is incredible. When I read that a large number of “endorsements” on the list weren’t black I thought to myself “imagine if something crazy like 40% of them turned out to be white.” Turns out it was at least 42% :lol: and of the names that could be verified reliably, 62%!

Also
Meanwhile, of those 297, seven are repeated; one of them appears three times. According to a review of public record databases and social media sites, multiple names on the list appear to be from people who do not live in South Carolina. One person seems to not live in the United States at all but in São Paulo, Brazil.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Yeah. Obviously he is not a fascist but it was funny to me considering he has got positive ‘reviews’ from white nationalists and far-right people. I think what you said is most likely, some douchey business kid who thinks Boulanger was a baker came up with some “hip” slogan and has no idea of the connotation.
I mean Gabbard has similar reviews and her support is predominantly white conservative too

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He’s quite right. If you want to enact big change you need to do it quickly right at the start of your administration while you still have the honeymoon period. Leave it longer and you get dragged into unexpected events, political infighting and public dissatisfaction. The midterms are usually bad for a president.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
half the respondents are Republicans who wont even participate in the caucus.
They must be having a good laugh.
Unlikely given he's been in the lead (or near it) in the past 3 polls. He's also trending up in NH as well, which if true would be bad news for the entire field.

InfiniteBoredom

half the respondents are Republicans who wont even participate in the caucus.
They must be having a good laugh.
It’s amazing the way you talk with such authority about things you don’t know.

Ann Selzer’s DMR Iowa poll has long been considered the best of the bunch, just because you don’t like the findings doesn’t make it false.

Drifter

American
Glad to see Buttigieg being pushed as a front runner .He might have to start answering questions now.

Don't Kill Bill

Clinton: “It’s the economy, stupid.” “It’s time to change America.”

Carter: “Not just peanuts.” “Peaches and cream.”

FDR was really good in 1940: “better a third term than a third rater.” :lol:
Wasn't Clintons also "I still believe in a place called hope"

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Glad to see Buttigieg being pushed as a front runner .He might have to start answering questions now.
I'm not expecting many questions / much substance in the next debate

Crowded stage and a lot of people needing to boost their numbers... Suspect it's going to be soundbite after soundbite and trying to undermine people

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm not expecting many questions / much substance in the next debate

Crowded stage and a lot of people needing to boost their numbers... Suspect it's going to be soundbite after soundbite and trying to undermine people
Also, the other frontrunners have to be a bit careful in going after Pete too aggressively, since if he is prepared and easily dispatches their questions, he could easily come out of this as having weathered the storm and potentially be considered a co-front runner.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Also, the other frontrunners have to be a bit careful in going after Pete too aggressively, since if he is prepared and easily dispatches their questions, he could easily come out of this as having weathered the storm and potentially be considered a co-front runner.
Bernie will explain what Single Payer is...therefore what Medicare for All is.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bernie will explain what Single Payer is...therefore what Medicare for All is.
And Pete will undoubtedly retort with something along the lines of "I want to be honest with the public and pursue a policy that will work, because it's both plausibly affordable and realistically implementable, and Medicare for all, while I agree with it in spirit, would simply not get through the Congress and we may in 4 years from now find ourselves in the same position we are in today."

So at that point, all your have is a stalemate where both factions have promoted their plans and neither have made much in the way of progress with the public in terms of convincing them why one is better than the other.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
And Pete will undoubtedly retort with something along the lines of "I want to be honest with the public and pursue a policy that will work, because it's both plausibly affordable and realistically implementable, and Medicare for all, while I agree with it in spirit, would simply not get through the Congress and we may in 4 years from now find ourselves in the same position we are in today."

So at that point, all your have is a stalemate where both factions have promoted their plans and neither have made much in the way of progress with the public in terms of convincing them why one is better than the other.
....meaning he will give the same corporate response.

In the end the public will choose who to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.