2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t see him ditching Pence, and no one bar a few Bernie bros care about Gabbard.

She has also recently said that she doesn’t believe that Trump is not guilty (she said that the reason she didn’t vote about his impeachment was cause the impeachment was done in a partisan manner, not cause she thinks that Trump is innocent).

It hasn’t happened recently and it is not going to happen. There won’t be a Republican/Democrat ticket or vice versa.
I'm not suggesting that Gabbard would run with him as a purple ticket, I'm saying that she could switch parties and run with him as a born again Republican.

Just look at her voting history. I'm struggling to find a position that contradicts Trump. Beyond the impeachment votes she's abstained from votes condemning or sanctioning Russia, Turkey, China and Saudi Arabia, abstained on advancing voter rights, abstained on a vote for women veterans rights to health care and abstained on a vote for lower drug costs.

It's really not beyond the realms of possibility that Trump might view her as the perfect running mate, especially if she is prepared to get down in the dirt and spew bullshit about how corrupt Democrats are behind the scenes.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm not suggesting that Gabbard would run with him as a purple ticket, I'm saying that she could switch parties and run with him as a born again Republican.

Just look at her voting history. I'm struggling to find a position that contradicts Trump. Beyond the impeachment votes she's abstained from votes condemning or sanctioning Russia, Turkey, China and Saudi Arabia, abstained on advancing voter rights, abstained on a vote for women veterans rights to health care and abstained on a vote for lower drug costs.

It's really not beyond the realms of possibility that Trump might view her as the perfect running mate, especially if she is prepared to get down in the dirt and spew bullshit about how corrupt Democrats are behind the scenes.
Republicans do love putting an attractive brunette forward to prove they're not sexist.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Trump - Gabbard 2020

Seriously I think this is entirely possible. She’s positioned herself for it perfectly. He gets a Democrat who is already loved by Republicans for being the Democrat who parrots Republican narratives. He also gets a woman of colour which is hugely important as women are a demographic have been hugely turned off by Trump as obviously are PoCs.
The only problem with this view is that unlike the Dems, the Republican base don't have any special interest in having a "woman of color" on the ticket, nor does Tulsi have much in the way of female support, nor would Trump be able to constrain her the way he does Pence - so ultimately, the cost/benefit may simply be stick with the sycophant he already has.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The only problem with this view is that unlike the Dems, the Republican base don't have any special interest in having a "woman of color" on the ticket, nor does Tulsi have much in the way of female support, nor would Trump be able to constrain her the way he does Pence - so ultimately, the cost/benefit may simply be stick with the sycophant he already has.

The Republican base is going to vote for Trump, no question about that and having Gabbard on the ticket is not going to turn any of them away from that. The key demographic that Trump is going to need to win over the Democrats if he's going to get reelected is moderate independents and polls suggest he's not doing very well with Females and Minorities regardless of their affiliation. Having Tulsi on the ticket with him would go a long way towards tempering the fears of any shaky Republican females thinking about not voting, along with other demographics like minority Christians who are traditionally conservative. He's got his base wrapped up an having Pence on the ticket with him is a net gain of zero. Having someone like Tulsi would come with a lot of benefits and as I said before I think Trump would like nothing more than to have a former Democrat that would be prepared to play it dirty and talk shit about the Democrats from an "insiders perspective". That would be incredibly damaging and effective during the campaign, especially with moderate independents.

freeurmind

weak willed
Trump - Gabbard 2020

Seriously I think this is entirely possible. She’s positioned herself for it perfectly. He gets a Democrat who is already loved by Republicans for being the Democrat who parrots Republican narratives. He also gets a woman of colour which is hugely important as women are a demographic have been hugely turned off by Trump as obviously are PoCs.
I know establishment/centrist libs hate Gabbard but this is getting ridiculous.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Republican base is going to vote for Trump, no question about that and having Gabbard on the ticket is not going to turn any of them away from that. The key demographic that Trump is going to need to win over the Democrats if he's going to get reelected is moderate independents and polls suggest he's not doing very well with Females and Minorities regardless of their affiliation. Having Tulsi on the ticket with him would go a long way towards tempering the fears of any shaky Republican females thinking about not voting, along with other demographics like minority Christians who are traditionally conservative. He's got his base wrapped up an having Pence on the ticket with him is a net gain of zero. Having someone like Tulsi would come with a lot of benefits and as I said before I think Trump would like nothing more than to have a former Democrat that would be prepared to play it dirty and talk shit about the Democrats from an "insiders perspective". That would be incredibly damaging and effective during the campaign, especially with moderate independents.
A few things to consider on Tulsi:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-we-know-about-tulsi-gabbards-base/

- Her support is overwhelmingly male (which Trump already has now). She has almost zero support among females.

- She isn't viewed as a Dem who espouses traditional Dem policies, so Trump attempting to frame her as such would likely fall flat.

- She currently only has about 1-2% support as a primary candidate, a quarter of which consists of 2016 Trump voters

- She would have little to no effect on the key demo that helped Trump win in 2016, but have since soured on him (suburban white women).

- Her policies vacillate all over the map, including being for single payer and medicare for all, building a "green economy" etc, which wouldn't remotely sit well with anyone in the Trump orbit.

- She's Hindu, which wouldn't go unnoticed by Trump's redneck base who are generally interested in a standard patriarchal looking white guy to be VP.

So all things said, Trump could select her if he wants to be a bit Mavericky, but the benefit of doing so would be more risky than beneficial.

Last edited:

freeurmind

weak willed
A quick look at the bills she's co-sponsored in the House this year shows the notion she would ever run with Trump is nonsensical.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Trump - Gabbard 2020

get a grip

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Florida is full of olds. That demographic will change drastically in one year.
I don't think enough olds will die off within the next 11 months to change what the polls are suggesting in the present. It's always been a retirement state.

Last edited:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I don't think enough olds will die off within the next 11 months to change what the polls are suggesting in the present. It's always been a retirement state.
Was only joking. But thanks for reminding me that the olds are replenished here ever year :(

Sweet Square

Which bit of what he is saying isn't true ?
English culture features the monarchy, which you lot rightly rejected!

Also there's literally no such thing as European culture and if one has pretend there is, it ranges from communism, liberty, Erik Satie to fascism, death camps and James Cordon. Europe is rather small continent(We can barely agree which countries qualify to be European btw) where for the most part everyone hates each other and its only recently we've all stopped murdering each other on all mass scale. Since we are on a football forum, if worth saying the world cup winning team France have massive connection to the African continent, I mean one can't talk about the history of European culture without also talking about the influence of Asian and Africa.

And now importantly the only good culture americans have ever produced(Jazz, House Music and 70's Kung Fu movies) has its history in these ''some african and asian nations''. Again its impossible to talk about american culture without talking about the continents of asian and african.

If we are actually to be serious for a second here, the linking of America and the mystified idea of European is actually a argument used by the alt right/white supremacist. Its something you expect to hear from one of Trumps goons or even Trump and not one of the leading democratic candidates(Although Biden at this point pretty is much just Trump but with a blue tie).

Edit - Just seen the full clip and yes as European, I still find this deeply offensive. But yeah it does appear to be Biden going off on a mad one. Sorry Joe.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
English culture features the monarchy, which you lot rightly rejected!

Also there's literally no such thing as European culture and if one has pretend there is, it ranges from communism, liberty, Erik Satie to fascism, death camps and James Cordon. Europe is rather small continent(We can barely agree which countries qualify to be European btw) where for the most part everyone hates each other and its only recently we've all stopped murdering each other on all mass scale. Since we are on a football forum, if worth saying the world cup winning team France have massive connection to the African continent, I mean one can't talk about the history of European culture without also talking about the influence of Asian and Africa.

And now importantly the only good culture americans have ever produced(Jazz, House Music and 70's Kung Fu movies) has its history in these ''some african and asian nations''. Again its impossible to talk about american culture without talking about the continents of asian and african.

If we are actually to be serious for a second here, the linking of America and the mystified idea of European is actually a argument used by the alt right/white supremacist. Its something you expect to hear from one of Trumps goons or even Trump and not one of the leading democratic candidates(Although Biden at this point pretty is much just Trump but with a blue tie).

Edit - Just seen the full clip and yes as European, I still find this deeply offensive. But yeah it does appear to be Biden going off on a mad one. Sorry Joe.
In terms of its history however, the US has always been indisputably run by people of European descent. It’s power structure has been and continues to be underwritten by people of European descent (although this is gradually changing), so it stands to reason that it’s culture would be to varying degrees, heavily influenced by the same homogeneous cultural history. I don’t think this is what Biden was talking about in either case.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Will be interesting to see whether Booker drops out before or after the Iowa Primary. He has recently been claiming he is gaining momentum in Iowa.
He almost certainly will drop out imo. Iowa is only a month away and he is only at 3% there. He would need to be at about 15% to be viable.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Will be interesting to see whether Booker drops out before or after the Iowa Primary. He has recently been claiming he is gaining momentum in Iowa.
Gut feel is after just incase he does surprisingly well

But even if he does I suspect he's got minimal adverts and feet on the ground in new hampshire, south carolina and Vegas so effectively he's out anyway

Yang requested and was refused more DNC qualifying polls
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1108646

So I think him and booker will not make the next debate (nor will bloombergs as he's not taking donations)

Suspect booker will leave the race after Iowa but Yang might stick around a couple more weeks (however it looks likley he will be out by super Tuesday if not before)

Booker will possibly look at Warren and see if he could be VP? ... Might be a good fit but her campaign seems to have lost momentum

I wonder if kloubchar will have the finances and organisation to hang in til super tuedsay

Could see it thinning out to Pete Sanders Biden Warren and Bloomberg pretty quickly

The month between Iowa and supertuesday will go pretty quick and advertising spend and strategy will need to be locked in pretty quickly

NWRed

However the reality is a 2nd term president also signals stability, and the majority of people often do go with the status quo. A lot of the messaging against Trump's stability before he became president won't land now - he hasn't come close to starting WWIII, he hasn't been especially trigger happy, he isn't that loose cannon in the way it was portrayed. He's many other terrible things people expected, but they fundamentally matter a lot less to people. His presidency hasn't been unsuccessful, by most people's measures.
Your opinion now?

No matter how this plays out he's clearly risking a major middle eastern conflict that could involve alot of nations. If you doubt that think what the US reaction would be if Iran killed the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Fergies Gum

Gut feel is after just incase he does surprisingly well

But even if he does I suspect he's got minimal adverts and feet on the ground in new hampshire, south carolina and Vegas so effectively he's out anyway

Yang requested and was refused more DNC qualifying polls
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1108646

So I think him and booker will not make the next debate (nor will bloombergs as he's not taking donations)

Suspect booker will leave the race after Iowa but Yang might stick around a couple more weeks (however it looks likley he will be out by super Tuesday if not before)

Booker will possibly look at Warren and see if he could be VP? ... Might be a good fit but her campaign seems to have lost momentum

I wonder if kloubchar will have the finances and organisation to hang in til super tuedsay

Could see it thinning out to Pete Sanders Biden Warren and Bloomberg pretty quickly

The month between Iowa and supertuesday will go pretty quick and advertising spend and strategy will need to be locked in pretty quickly
Reckon Booker will be on the VP shortlist for quite a few of the candidates. Also Castro and Abrams will be considered.

If either of the two front runners (Biden/Sanders) win, they know they will have to freshen up the ticket by having a much younger VP due to their age and both would be under pressure to pick someone of colour.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Reckon Booker will be on the VP shortlist for quite a few of the candidates. Also Castro and Abrams will be considered.

If either of the two front runners (Biden/Sanders) win, they know they will have to freshen up the ticket by having a much younger VP due to their age and both would be under pressure to pick someone of colour.
I think Warren would go for booker or Castro (gut feel booker)
I think Pete, Sanders and Biden will go for a woman... Pete probably Kamala
Biden probably Abraham's or Kamala
Sanders probably Abraham's

Might be wrong but I think there will be a (perceived) need to show diversity on the ticket both with gender and race

Status
Not open for further replies.