2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
im the most normal man alive. people come up to me on the street and ask me "how are you so normal". and i say leave me alone i dont want to talk to you im late for an important meeting with the president of canada

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
im the most normal man alive. people come up to me on the street and ask me "how are you so normal". and i say leave me alone i dont want to talk to you im late for an important meeting with the president of canada
If you split that into three or four short sentences, it would be classic RD

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The precise date is set by statute though. I googled around thinking it was actually in the Constitution, but the Presidential Election Date Act or something from 1845 established the election as the first Tuesday after November 1st.
You are correct. It's interesting what would happen in a time of extreme emergency. Based on the constitution "The Congress may determine the time of choosing the electors, and the day on which they shall give their votes; which day shall be the same throughout the United States.", so sounds like Congress is in charge of the date, not the president, if it is to be different from the one determined by the statute you mentioned? But then again, what does "congress" mean, in this context? The House? The Senate? Both?

InfiniteBoredom

Congress always means both chambers/houses, it is a bicameral legislative body.

Except on the Caf where people from across the pond often seem to think it means the Senate.
Colloquially now it’s often used to refer to the House of Representatives alone.

Anyway, just nuke the planet.

WPMUFC

Colloquially now it’s often used to refer to the House of Representatives alone.

Anyway, just nuke the planet.

just a little fun fact, the GOP party hack that got John McCain to pick Palin is now "the resistance" on MSNBC.... enjoy that vomit in your mouth.

InfiniteBoredom

just a little fun fact, the GOP party hack that got John McCain to pick Palin is now "the resistance" on MSNBC.... enjoy that vomit in your mouth.
Schmidt’s image got rehabilitated a lot by Woody Harrelson’s sympathetic portrayal in HBO’s Game Change, which the screenplay was adapted from a book of the same name from another former MSNBC fixture, who is also a creep.

It’s all a racket.

WPMUFC

Schmidt’s image got rehabilitated a lot by Woody Harrelson’s sympathetic portrayal in HBO’s Game Change, which the screenplay was adapted from a book of the same name from another former MSNBC fixture, who is also a creep.

It’s all a racket.
probably the worst thing to come out of this whole fiasco is not even biden. He's just an old fool. It's been the mainstreaming of people like Schmidt, jennifer rubin, Frum, and the list goes on as "mainstream voices". They've successfully made themselves "centrists" whilst spouting all their right-wing BS. The consolidation of the right-wing in the supposed "centre-left" echo chambers moves the overton window even more.

Sweet Square

It makes it look as if he a referencing Eboue still not voting for Biden right after my post of the pic.

But if it's about the second part - I don't see how it's a lack of civility to point out the irony of a lot of Bernie voters not actually coming out to vote for him in several states. And this is at a time when it should be *easiest* to have them come out too. Apparently more of the older generation felt compelled to vote to bump Biden - even in parts that did not vote for Hillary but did for Biden this time around. Other reasons aside - if the Dems do get the WH - one of the first thing to do would be to make election day a holiday and also make it a lot easier for folks to absentee vote in areas where voter suppression is happening. As the young voters who clearly side with Bernie this time get older - the last thing I assume the progressives want is to have them turn into moderates. If they don't establish a voter pattern conviction now - it will be harder to energize it again.
Wow! Who are you to say what is and isn't civil. Due to you're dangerous attack on bernie supporters, I think it's only right that they be given the emotional space needed and the time to recover or if they want to be angry then they should be and if they only want to vote in December then we should given the the personal space to do so(All of this a joke btw).

My point is, if liberals really believe that a lack of civility(Which no one can define as it ranges from calling out bad policy to twitter users with names such as lenin420 posting snake emojis)effects the outcomes of elections they wouldn't be voting for a candidate like Biden(Well actually my real point is that liberals are full of shit and will give any excuse to not vote for higher taxes).

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why would Biden give her the VP role if she does not endorse him?
Because the race between him and Sanders isn't over. For all we know she could be hedging to see who wins. If its Biden - having a Warren endorsement and ability leverage her campaigning energy would be massive.

Sandyman

Because the race between him and Sanders isn't over. For all we know she could be hedging to see who wins. If its Biden - having a Warren endorsement and ability leverage her campaigning energy would be massive.
It is, surely. I mean, mathematically it may be possible for Bernie to still hit the magic number, but what are the odds of that happening.
Or is there expectation that the debate can turn things around for Bernie?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It is, surely. I mean, mathematically it may be possible for Bernie to still hit the magic number, but what are the odds of that happening.
Or is there expectation that the debate can turn things around for Bernie?
At this rate, I don't think Biden will hit the 1990 number needed to nominate, so if Sanders were to turn the ship around in the next round of primaries then its game on. Whether that happens is another matter.

Sandyman

At this rate, I don't think Biden will hit the 1990 number needed to nominate, so if Sanders were to turn the ship around in the next round of primaries then its game on. Whether that happens is another matter.
Ah interesting. I was under the impression that he will get to 1990. Not sure Bernie can turn it around though, even with a big debate night.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Ah interesting. I was under the impression that he will get to 1990. Not sure Bernie can turn it around though, even with a big debate night.
538 currently has Biden at >99% to get a majority of pledged delegates.

Sandyman

As we have seen already, voters are extremely fickle so you never know. We'll have to see.
Which is true but it's not like we will see anything we haven't already seen from Biden. I mean despite his long gaffe reel, he still came ahead in the electability factor.

538 currently has Biden at >99% to get a majority of pledged delegates.
Yeah I was also going by various projection models.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Only half of the delegates have already been voted on and Biden only has about 850 right now, so if Sanders were to remain in the race in any competitive way, both candidates would finish below the 1990 threshold and it would go to a contested convention. On the other hand, if Sanders were to stay in the race as an afterthought - where Biden continues to have all of the momentum (and thus gobble up most delegates) then he would in all likelihood reach 1990. The March 17th primaries are the last large batch of delegates up for grabs where Sanders could perform better than expected and create the perception that Biden's momentum is slowing down. Biden definitely has. the advantage at this point but stranger things have happened only as recently as 10 days ago when Biden came out of nowhere and surged into the lead.

Last edited:

Sandyman

Only half of the delegates have already been voted on and Biden only has about 850 right now, so if Sanders were to remain in the race in any competitive way, both candidates would finish below the 1990 threshold and it would go to a contested convention. On the other hand, if Sanders were to stay in the race as an afterthought - where Biden continues to have all of the momentum (and thus gobble up most delegates) then he would in all likelihood reach 1990. The March 17th primaries are the last large batch of delegates up for grabs where Sanders could perform better than expected and create the perception that Biden's momentum is slowing down. Biden definitely has. the advantage at this point but stranger things have happened.
And what happens if both don't reach 1990. Super delegates? Won't that work in Biden's favour?

Revan

Assumptionman
Only half of the delegates have already been voted on and Biden only has about 850 right now, so if Sanders were to remain in the race in any competitive way, both candidates would finish below the 1990 threshold and it would go to a contested convention. On the other hand, if Sanders were to stay in the race as an afterthought - where Biden continues to have all of the momentum (and thus gobble up most delegates) then he would in all likelihood reach 1990. The March 17th primaries are the last large batch of delegates up for grabs where Sanders could perform better than expected and create the perception that Biden's momentum is slowing down. Biden definitely has. the advantage at this point but stranger things have happened only as recently as 10 days ago when Biden came out of nowhere and surged into the lead.
Sanders already said that he won't contest Biden if Biden has more delegates than him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Sanders is done. The next set of states are all favorable to Biden.

They have both started reaching out to each other. Sanders provides a question list for next debate and Biden has asked people to work together to beat Trump. Way I think, primaries are done.

Big question is...how many Sanders supporters will vote for Biden as against not voting and letting Trump win.

Status
Not open for further replies.