2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He says right there they’re not going to spend a lot of money on it. Most of ’the wall’ Donald is ‘building’ are sections that needed repair anyway. Only 3 miles out of the hundreds claimed are where there was not a barrier before.

SharpshooterTom

Biden still only leading by +5.3 overall.

I actually think that's not too bad for Trump, given we've just passed the worst of the pandemic, terrible headlines e.g. passing 100k deaths, unemployment numbers at record highs etc.

However come November, the worst of the pandemic will be well gone (pending a second peak of course), and the economy should be in recovery mode. There's projections about the unemployment rate coming back down from 20% to single digits by then.

So if Trump keeps it within 6 points now its certainly possible that gap can be narrowed come November. A closer election means of course the more likely the GOP keep the senate too. I think a narrow loss maintaining control of the senate would be an decent outcome for the GOP. They can pummel Joe in the Mid terms thereafter.

mav_9me

I have given up on politics as I feel Trump coming back is inevitable. Biden is just not good enough.

Does anyone feel differently? Any reason to expect anything other than a Trump reflection?

SharpshooterTom

I have given up on politics as I feel Trump coming back is inevitable. Biden is just not good enough.

Does anyone feel differently? Any reason to expect anything other than a Trump reflection?
Biden is still favourite and probably will win. Although it has the potential to be tight yet.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Biden still only leading by +5.3 overall.

I actually think that's not too bad for Trump, given we've just passed the worst of the pandemic, terrible headlines e.g. passing 100k deaths, unemployment numbers at record highs etc.
Crazy, right?
Biden’s numbers against, arguably the worst sitting US President in recent times, should be well into the double digits.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Crazy, right?
Biden’s numbers against, arguably the worst sitting US President in recent times, should be well into the double digits.
Don't think that's right - the US is so polarized neither party today can ever get near 10 points spread: 40% are simply one side or the other, regardless of everything.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
“I want to make sure that ... whoever I have has some qualities that I don’t possess as well as is willing to, in fact, tell me the truth but also do it in a way that is between the two of us, between her and me, so that they can, in fact, be completely candid with me because I want to have people around me that have strengths and capacities I don’t,” Biden added.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/499853-biden-hopes-to-pick-vp-by-aug-1

Might be a Freudian slip as it probably isn't unlikely that they aim for a female running mate to get the female vote on board.

The Firestarter

“I want to make sure that ... whoever I have has some qualities that I don’t possess as well as is willing to, in fact, tell me the truth but also do it in a way that is between the two of us, between her and me, so that they can, in fact, be completely candid with me because I want to have people around me that have strengths and capacities I don’t,” Biden added.

Might be a Freudian slip as it probably isn't unlikely that they aim for a female running mate to get the female vote on board.
Not sure where you have been but he officially said his VP will be a woman.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

:lol:

SharpshooterTom

Don't think that's right - the US is so polarized neither party today can ever get near 10 points spread: 40% are simply one side or the other, regardless of everything.
That's not true, Obama won by 7.2% against McCain and Clinton won by 8.5% against Dole (Perot's votes were split 50/50 between the two).

People are making excuses for Biden but if Obama was on the ticket democrats would potentially be leading by around 10 points.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
That's not true, Obama won by 7.2% against McCain and Clinton won by 8.5% against Dole (Perot's votes were split 50/50 between the two).

People are making excuses for Biden but if Obama was on the ticket democrats would potentially be leading by around 10 points.
All the stats indicate that we're far more polarised now than even 2016, much less Clinton era.

I agree Obama would push up a few percentages - but even your 7.2% is closer to 5 than 10.

The GOP/Fox News bubble is not moving. I guess in fairness neither is the 'liberal elite'. Each sides' view of the other is completely skewed. It's scary stuff.

For me as a clear liberal snowflake who doesn't live in the states, the weird thing is that only one side seems to have the majority of facts, scientists, doctors, international support, logic, diversity and so forth.

It's really fascinating how the GOP's strategy is shaped by its ability to cheat/ use the system. If the GOP had to get near 50% of voters, it couldn't be nearly as anti-everything not old and white as it is today. It would have to have more inclusive policies, or else it woudl shrink into irrelevance. But, gerrymandering be real. In Wisconsin the democrats have more than 50% of the votes, and less than 33% of the seats. That's how you rig it so you only have to care about the minority.

The best thing that could happen to the GOP, long term, is for gerrymandering and suppression to end, because it would force them to adopt actual popular policies.

SharpshooterTom

All the stats indicate that we're far more polarised now than even 2016, much less Clinton era.

I agree Obama would push up a few percentages - but even your 7.2% is closer to 5 than 10.

The GOP/Fox News bubble is not moving. I guess in fairness neither is the 'liberal elite'. Each sides' view of the other is completely skewed. It's scary stuff.

For me as a clear liberal snowflake who doesn't live in the states, the weird thing is that only one side seems to have the majority of facts, scientists, doctors, international support, logic, diversity and so forth.

It's really fascinating how the GOP's strategy is shaped by its ability to cheat/ use the system. If the GOP had to get near 50% of voters, it couldn't be nearly as anti-everything not old and white as it is today. It would have to have more inclusive policies, or else it woudl shrink into irrelevance. But, gerrymandering be real. In Wisconsin the democrats have more than 50% of the votes, and less than 33% of the seats. That's how you rig it so you only have to care about the minority.

The best thing that could happen to the GOP, long term, is for gerrymandering and suppression to end, because it would force them to adopt actual popular policies.
The democrats won the 2018 popular vote by nearly 9 points. Its absolutely possible a candidate like Obama could win by that much in a general election.

Biden's strategy involves not being seen very much, the democrats are protecting him as they know he's gaffe prone, if Obama was the candidate he'd be much more visible in this campaign. Biden's strategy isn't necessarily bad, allowing Trump to soak up all the media attention works to a degree because he has sky high unfavorables and the more people see of him the more people hate him and just ends up dragging his own numbers down because he puts his foot in it so often.

But it is very cautious approach and it only takes a favorable news story for Trump or a bad one for Biden and Trump's within the margin of error. I really do think they should throw the kitchen sink at him and not just wait for Trump to make mistakes.

Fosu-Mens

The "hiding" of Biden is only making the case simpler for Trump, regardless of how many dumb things he does or say...
Most of the people that vote for Trump does it regardless. Nothing that he does will make them change their vote.
Biden on the other side is dependent on unifying the different camps of DNC voters. Banking on "it is either me or Trump" might not be enough.
And if there are any presidential debates before the election, every time Biden says something wrong it will be all over Faux News. And debating someone like Trump will agitate anyone, further increasing the chance that Biden stumbles on his words or makes a mistake.

It baffles me that these are the two candidates to choose from. If these two are the outcome of an electoral system, then something is obviously very wrong with the system.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The "hiding" of Biden is only making the case simpler for Trump, regardless of how many dumb things he does or say...
Most of the people that vote for Trump does it regardless. Nothing that he does will make them change their vote.
Biden on the other side is dependent on unifying the different camps of DNC voters. Banking on "it is either me or Trump" might not be enough.
And if there are any presidential debates before the election, every time Biden says something wrong it will be all over Faux News. And debating someone like Trump will agitate anyone, further increasing the chance that Biden stumbles on his words or makes a mistake.

It baffles me that these are the two candidates to choose from. If these two are the outcome of an electoral system, then something is obviously very wrong with the system.
There's not much in the way of hiding going on. What we have a situation where neither candidate can campaign at public events, which means Biden has been doing video interviews with outlets as well as Tuesday's LIVE interview with CNN at his house. Trump has also not been doing public campaign events.

SharpshooterTom

With regards to Biden's VP choice, I think Kamala Harris has got to be the most likely now.

Whoever is his VP is likely going to be the nominee in 2024 and the democrats will want to use those 4 years to groom the next president. Harris looks the more obvious choice for the establishment long term as Warren will be 75 in 2024.

The GOP might also pick a more electable candidate in 2024 and I think Warren could be a vulnerable choice in 4 years if the GOP pick someone like Haley to contrast her with.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
With regards to Biden's VP choice, I think Kamala Harris has got to be the most likely now.

Whoever is his VP is likely going to be the nominee in 2024 and the democrats will want to use those 4 years to groom the next president. Harris looks the more obvious choice for the establishment long term as Warren will be 75 in 2024.

The GOP might also pick a more electable candidate in 2024 and I think Warren could be a vulnerable choice in 4 years if the GOP pick someone like Haley to contrast her with.
Perhaps an unwise choice of words considering you know the whole creepy joe thing

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

The longer this crisis lingers, the higher the chance it‘s Warren. Someone mentioned before about it being a W/Cheney type presidency, where the VP has an outsized influence on policy. In this case, Liz is by far the best choice to lead this economic recovery. Also, I think voters are more concerned with who might have to replace Biden this term, not next.

Kamala has long been the favorite, but a VP pick only moves the needle on votes if they‘re highly popular which again favors Liz. If I know that, I’m sure Biden’s advisors do as well.

Fosu-Mens

There's not much in the way of hiding going on. What we have a situation where neither candidate can campaign at public events, which means Biden has been doing video interviews with outlets as well as Tuesday's LIVE interview with CNN at his house. Trump has also not been doing public campaign events.
Cosy scripted interviews, only big stories about him are negative.
His campaign should try to get some attention that is not either related to his assumed cognitive decline, the Reade accusations or his latest blunder. Don't run simply based on not being Trump or "I was VP under Obama". So much, not only in the USA, but in the world is dependent on not having Trump as the President for 4 more years...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
His campaign should try to get some attention that is not either related to his assumed cognitive decline, the Reade accusations or his latest blunder. Don't run simply based on not being Trump or "I was VP under Obama". So much, not only in the USA, but in the world is dependent on not having Trump as the President for 4 more years...
There’s not much point given that he’s leading in the polls at a time when Trump is making plenty of mistakes. All he has to do is do more interviews like he did with CNN yesterday from time to time leading up to the convention. Once the social distancing rules are relaxed, both of them will be back on the trail.

Fosu-Mens

There’s not much point given that he’s leading in the polls at a time when Trump is making plenty of mistakes. All he has to do is do more interviews like he did with CNN yesterday from time to time leading up to the convention. Once the social distancing rules are relaxed, both of them will be back on the trail.
Hopefully you are right. Better to do little but do it right than doing more but get it completely wrong...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
He’s active. Throwing some shade today...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Oh no, Susie is gonna lose. Pray for Joe Manchin.
The Kavanaugh vote has worked great for her.
I doubt the number is that big, but she does look extremely vulnerable. Centrist Republicans are rapidly going the way of the Do-Do bird.

SharpshooterTom

I doubt the number is that big, but she does look extremely vulnerable. Centrist Republicans are rapidly going the way of the Do-Do bird.
But in this case that would be because of independents/democrats abandoning her not hard right Republicans.

WPMUFC

There are no centrist republicans. A "centrist" in today's lingo is just someone that whinges about decorum whilst voting continuously in favor for whatever legislation is put in front of them. No matter how insane/ideological it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.