2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotThatSoph

There is a left, they just don't vote because of their own purity tests. They cut off their nose to spite their face and then complain that people like their noses. We actually had a big time Bernie supporter here who thought it was quite ok to call Joe Biden a pedophile because he was unhappy with his past policies. Times fecking change and people's opinions change based on facts and outcomes. To ignore that at this point makes no sense. We live in crazy times, why make it exponentially worse?
The reality is there are two parties in this system and I for one would rather fight for a better life for everyone with Democrats in power instead of a borderline facist, anti science and downright cnuty party.
That's the fecking question I'm asking and the poster still hasn't answered who which party comes closer to his values. He would rather demean and throw shit around then actually be an adult about it. You can sing and fecking dance all you want but if you don't vote in America you get cnuts and end up becoming one yourself. Anyone, and I mean anyone that refuses to vote this time round after everything that's happened is a fool. I would rather see the progressive part of a cowardly party fight for us while in power than have them wasting their time explaining basic science and morality to a wanker.
You can't enact change by sitting on your arse complaining and the reality is it's a shitty choice between Trump v Biden. What's your choice? Because I for one am sick of Betsy Devos trying to infect my child just to make a nasty joke of a man look good in front of the mouth breathers and the daughter he wants to feck. It's not even a fecking debate right now, we can have that after a normal person is put in charge. There are some great members of the Democratic party coming through. I would rather not dampen their voices because the party shit the bed and nominated someone they thought could beat Trump, they may well turn out to be right. No one I know is happy with Biden being the nominee but the next four years would be more beneficial to all of us with the democratic party running the show instead of what we see now. Wouldn't you agree with that at least?
In 2008, roughly similar amounts of Clinton primary voters went for McCain as Sanders voters went for Trump. According to some numbers a lot more Clinton voters did.

As for the Sanders voters that switched, 50 % of them voted for Romney over Obama in 2012, they were old, they were on the spectrum of moderate to very conservative, and they had conservative views on race. Almost all of the Sanders primary voters voted in the general, which means that the leftists that supported Sanders in the primaries overwhelmingly supported Clinton in the general.

That's at least some data for you, what's your data showing how the leftists don't vote because of purity tests?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
That's at least some data for you, what's your data showing how the leftists don't vote because of purity tests?
Also, even though I keep encouraging people to vote because Trump and the Republicans are such ginormous thundercnuts, let's be honest a vote for Biden is not the same as voting for Sanders. People keep talking about purity tests, but in reality its more like telling someone that they can't vote for their Labour preference but should vote Tory to stop the UKIP wanker from getting in. That might work a few times, but sooner or later people get really sick of it.

freeurmind

weak willed
His name is going to be on at least one ballot, which means he's already damaged Biden. Egotistical prick of a man.
I think the people who were thinking of voting Biden who are thinking of switching to Kanye are in the single digits. He's clearly just doing this for publicity or because he's insane but nonone will take his candidacy seriously.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I think the people who were thinking of voting Biden who are thinking of switching to Kanye are in the single digits. He's clearly just doing this for publicity or because he's insane but nonone will take his candidacy seriously.
Sometimes states can come down to very fine margins.

freeurmind

weak willed
Sometimes states can come down to very fine margins.
Agreed but I think the circumstances are different this time. Biden doesn't inspire this intense hatred in people the way Hillary did and Trump's performance will be motivation enough for loads.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Agreed but I think the circumstances are different this time. Biden doesn't inspire this intense hatred in people the way Hillary did and Trump's performance will be motivation enough for loads.
Fingers crossed. I'm sure the GOP will have some twisted shit to throw in the run-up to the election though.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Wow, my stat of the day: the GOP majority in the senate were elected by 14 million fewer voters than the Dems' minority.
Nice.

Drifter

American
John Kasich speaking at Democratic National Convention

DNC have gone all in on Republican lite.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can't wait to vote for "The West Presidency" for thread of the year at the next caf awards.

Really though, the guy's bi-polar, he needs help. Politics in the US are a fecking farce. Idiocracy is real.

Suv666

I can't wait to vote for "The West Presidency" for thread of the year at the next caf awards.

Really though, the guy's bi-polar, he needs help. Politics in the US are a fecking farce. Idiocracy is real.
Its not like anyone is going to vote for him if he runs. The I'll vote for Kanye people on the internet arent voter age anyway.

WPMUFC

Shrewd move if it happens, especially with Ohio being winnable for Biden.
I disagree. The democrats absolutely hammered him on mass privatisation of Ohios economy and his utterly disgusting stance on social issues in 2016. Is it possible to not try to reform the image absolute bigots just for the sake of optics?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I disagree. The democrats absolutely hammered him on mass privatisation of Ohios economy and his utterly disgusting stance on social issues in 2016. Is it possible to not try to reform the image absolute bigots just for the sake of optics?
I'm not surprised they are doing it TBH. There are a lot of votes to be gained in the middle of the spectrum and creating the perception of bipartisanship is a good way to do it. Biden himself is friendly with various Republicans so it would be perfectly in line with his MO.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

What’s more, Biden’s favorable/unfavorable rating among Black voters stands at 48 percent positive, 19 percent negative (+29) — good, but hardly great with this steadfast Democratic voting bloc. Still, Black voters favor Biden over Trump by an 80 percent-to-6 percent margin in the poll.

And that brings us to voters 18 to 34: 56 percent of them have high interest in the election, which is about equal to where it was it was in Oct. 2016 (54 percent).

Biden’s fav/unfav rating with these youngest voters also is abysmal — 26 percent positive, 44 percent negative (-18). Still, Biden is leading Trump among these voters, 62 percent to 23 percent.

Bottom line: Biden still has room to grow with these voters when it comes to election interest and likeability.

And maybe that’s how he ultimately uses his looming VP pick, which is coming within the next month.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/me...iden-still-has-work-do-black-younger-n1234332

Not going to take the usual "haha young people don't like Biden" routine. Thought I'd note how disappointing it is to see young people dumped on the irrelevancy sideline again. They didn't turn out for Bernie and now they have just given up completely. Who's going to be the politician to bring them out as a proportional force in politics? As we face existential issues, young people will always be one of the group's that suffer the most. I wonder if democrats are actually thinking about this after the "pivot to the centre right" phase is over when Biden leaves office?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/me...iden-still-has-work-do-black-younger-n1234332

Not going to take the usual "haha young people don't like Biden" routine. Thought I'd note how disappointing it is to see young people dumped on the irrelevancy sideline again. They didn't turn out for Bernie and now they have just given up completely. Who's going to be the politician to bring them out as a proportional force in politics? As we face existential issues, young people will always be one of the group's that suffer the most. I wonder if democrats are actually thinking about this after the "pivot to the centre right" phase is over when Biden leaves office?
Are there any countries that had any success truly mobilizing the young folks? I know us old people now think that it's hard to understand why most of them arent interested in politics but how many of us were in our teens or even twenties when we re busy chasing tail and downing beers or other stuff we should be happy about didn't end up in the news? Serious question really.

Yes - one might (should?) argue that today's reality more than anything is the best reason young American voters may have ever had to be interested but if a lot of the "old" folks can't even be bothered to pay attention to everything...
And then when we do have many of them turn out - they are often ridiculed for being too naive, etc - brushing them aside like their opinion has no relevance - and I'm not sure that's even a party thing either.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Youth turnout was up this primary (at least on Super Tuesday), but it was swamped by increased turnout from older people.
Obama and Bernie managed to get some enthusiasm among young people in their 4 runs. I wonder if it's exhausted now after 2 disappointing wins and 2 definitive defeats. Also (if the demographic trends hold), this isn't a pivot to the right, it's a stable, rewarding strategy.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If I were american I wouldn't vote for the Democrats. It's not viable to ask people to vote their entire lives fro something they don't like just because the other side comes up with loons. People may cover their nose and do it once or twice, but if that is asked of them literally their entire life, they have every right not to do it and not feel guilty about it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If I were american I wouldn't vote for the Democrats. It's not viable to ask people to vote their entire lives fro something they don't like just because the other side comes up with loons. People may cover their nose and do it once or twice, but if that is asked of them literally their entire life, they have every right not to do it and not feel guilty about it.
Except that most Dems are generally ok with the people they vote for, otherwise they wouldn't bother going through the trouble of voting.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Except that most Dems are generally ok with the people they vote for, otherwise they wouldn't bother going through the trouble of voting.
I am talking about people politically left of the democratic party, like those in this thread who are made to be some sort of villains because they don't want to vote for Biden. I'm sure they are a decent percentage in the US.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I geneally agree, but this new poll suggests it's more complicted.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I geneally agree, but this new poll suggests it's more complicted.

I think the circumstances surrounding this year's election are pretty unique. People seem to be ignoring the usual emphasis on policy issues in favor of doing what's necessary to pry Trump out of the Presidency. If this were a normal election year, we wouldn't be seeing strange things like Chomsky and Kasich agreeing on the same candidate.

NotThatSoph

Exactly my thoughts to that.
If you alienate some potential voters by bringing in a homophobe that wants to take away women's rights, then the net result is (votes gained by Kasich) - (votes lost by Kasich). For future elections, you'd have the Kasich fans who stay for the next elections vs the alienated who stay out because of things like this. Considering the fact that the Kasich fans are 100 % voting against Trump and not for Biden, while the alienated voters will be disillusioned with the democratic party generally, this could be a risky long-term strategy.

However, you potentially mobilize the homophobic section of democrat aligning voters and the neolibs, so the end result is hard to say anything certain about.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think the circumstances surrounding this year's election are pretty unique. People seem to be ignoring the usual emphasis on policy issues in favor of doing what's necessary to pry Trump out of the Presidency. If this were a normal election year, we wouldn't be seeing strange things like Chomsky and Kasich agreeing on the same candidate.
As I said before, Chomsky has advocated voting against the Republican in every election ever, so he agreed with Henry Kissinger, Condolezza Rice, Michael Bloomberg, and David Frum in 2016 and with Colin Powell in 2008.
Kasich continues a 2016 tradition, where the DNC invited Michael Bloomberg to speak about national security.

The purity-driven Republican party somehow does not face this problem, through multiple purges in 1994, 2010, and 2016.
And the only Democrats they would invite to their conventions are people who have decisively left the party and its ideology (like Joe Liberman, who spoke at the RNC in 2008).

Anyway, I think this is a good strategy for the Democratic party and its dominant faction. These are the votes they are chasing and appearing to get.
My only problem is the double standards of people who called the Joe Rogan endorsement of Bernie an embrace of fascism because of what Rogan said about trans wrestlers on his podcast, and are now inviting a governor who defunded planned parenthood and blocked legal protections for LGBT people - i.e. someone who used his actual power to act on his decades-long bigotry.

Sweet Square

The purity-driven Republican party somehow does not face this problem, through multiple purges in 1994, 2010, and 2016.
The Republican base isnt afraid to lose unlike the left(However small) and liberals.The long term success of the Trump presidency could be packing the democrats full of Bush Jr politicians and voters.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

Exactly my thoughts to that.
There's a difference between using someone to gain votes, maybe using him on the ground on election Day, and ceding ground to legitimise people with awful political records at a convention. It's also a lie. There is no way in hell that a lunatic Republican from the trump era gets a speaking spot at the convention even if he or she turns on trump. Kasich was awful to gay people and punched down on poor people so as long as he's anti trump then all is seemingly forgiven or fobbed off. It's stupid to legitimise these people for no reason.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The notion that the democrats are left at all is a bit silly isn't it? Wanting affordable medical insurance and allowing gay people to marry isn't leftwing. It's common decency.

Inviting a republican to swing some votes is inherent to the broken two party system though. Arent Americans always screaming about tyranny of the majority? The irony is astounding.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That's one way to frame it.

Another would be that Trump's policies are so far-right wing that they've united a broad coalition to vote against him. It's not like people are voting against Trump the dude because they don't like him as a person, but rather the insane policies he has pushed and continues to push in wake of a global pandemic and protests in the cities.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That's one way to frame it.

Another would be that Trump's policies are so far-right wing that they've united a broad coalition to vote against him. It's not like people are voting against Trump the dude because they don't like him as a person, but rather the insane policies he has pushed and continues to push in wake of a global pandemic and protests in the cities.
I'm sure some are voting against him because of the nonsense that comes out of his mouth. Look at how his poll numbers began to tank when he made the "inject them with bleach" comment at the COVID presser a couple of months ago. This weekend's Chris Wallace comedy show will likely have a similar effect imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.