2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Honestly, at the very worst he'd have to negotiate and just chuck a bit of money their way. I'm not sure how this movement can be stopped if it wins a second time. If the campaign that offers four more years of the wannabe dictator wins then it wins a mandate for dictatorship.
I know quite a few in the US military of ranks low and high - and they all would take great offense to what you just said.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Honestly, at the very worst he'd have to negotiate and just chuck a bit of money their way. I'm not sure how this movement can be stopped if it wins a second time. If the campaign that offers four more years of the wannabe dictator wins then it wins a mandate for dictatorship.
I'm no fan of the US military; they're a half-criminal organization filled with war-criminals at the top and the poor and uneducated at the bottom, but I do think they have some pretty clear ideas of their position in society. I doubt enabling a dictator would be part of that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
If there's one thing that I love about American politics, it's fundraising.
I've been enjoying the replies. Lots of resigned cynicism, which is always reassuring.

Only 2 people openly celebrating it, one of them:

Many Warren people with a delusional imagination of their position, same is true of one Bernie person too, shame on him:

And one Warren person feeling shocked, which was the funniest one for me.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm no fan of the US military; they're a half-criminal organization filled with war-criminals at the top and the poor and uneducated at the bottom, but I do think they have some pretty clear ideas of their position in society. I doubt enabling a dictator would be part of that.
So you think they'd launch a coup?
I know quite a few in the US military of ranks low and high - and they all would take great offense to what you just said.
I'm sure they would. It'd be very cute too.

DOTA

No, the coup would be if they supported Trump. Trump can't be a dictator just by imagining himself one (which he surely does every night).
The path of least resistance would be not to try and interfere with the will of their twice elected commander in chief. They wouldn't stop him. No one would.

nimic

something nice
Scout
The path of least resistance would be not to try and interfere with the will of their twice elected commander in chief. They wouldn't stop him. No one would.
Really? That's your line? The path of least resistance would be to enable the first dictator in the history of the US, and almost certainly engage a 2nd Civil War in the process? I don't know if you really believe this nonsense, but nonsense it is.

DOTA

Trolls gonna troll.
We re no eastern Europe or South America (yet).
If you think having little faith in the US military is trolling you perhaps spend too much time with those in the US military of ranks low and high.

DOTA

Really? That's your line? The path of least resistance would be to enable the first dictator in the history of the US, and almost certainly engage a 2nd Civil War in the process? I don't know if you really believe this nonsense, but nonsense it is.
This is fantasy.

DOTA

Really? You don't think, say, California and New York would secede from the Union before accepting a literal dictator?
He wouldn't call himself a dictator, he'd call himself the elected President of the United States.

Revan

Assumptionman
He wouldn't call himself a dictator, he'd call himself the elected President of the United States.
That needs a constitutional change which cannot happen (3/4 of states need to ratify it). So he cannot continue after January 2024 unless he does a coup d’etat or somehow managed to change the constitution.

People love to exaggerate here when it comes to the US.

Redplane

To be fair to South America, a lot of those military coups were enabled by their democracy-loving neighbour to the north.
That's true. But that's part of the point - I am unable to phantom that the military would have interest in doing what we did elsewhere to this country. Because we know how hard it is to get rid of them once we go down that path.

nimic

something nice
Scout
And Colonel Gaddafi was just a Colonel. It doesn't matter what he'd call himself, you just outlined a scenario where the military lets Trump violate the constitution to grab all power. That's a coup. And the states would not accept it. Stop talking shit.

DOTA

And Colonel Gaddafi was just a Colonel. It doesn't matter what he'd call himself, you just outlined a scenario where the military lets Trump violate the constitution to grab all power. That's a coup. And the states would not accept it. Stop talking shit.
Go on then, outline your vision of what would happen here.

I think they'd say 'this is terrible, this is tyranny' and do nothing. What do you think they would do?

Carolina Red

Staff
Beyond the constitutional argument...

You know that fat bastard will be 78 in 2024, right?

nimic

something nice
Scout

I think they'd say 'this is terrible, this is tyranny' and do nothing. What do you think they would do?
I've already said what they would do. In the event the military does nothing, they would secede. And that would ignite a civil war. But this is all pure fantasy in any case, because your scenario is fantasy to begin with. In fact, I don't see why we're even discussing it.

Revan

Assumptionman

Stop all communications with the White House and mobilize the Coast Guard. Massive protests from people.

It is not a scenario that can happen. Even GOP wouldn’t go with that.

Edit: Apparently Coast Guard is Uber the military, not under states. So that is off. But of course, even the military itself does not oppose it, there will be many fractions on the military who would oppose it. Fractions who have all the weapons you can think of. The probability of this happening is close to 0.

DOTA

Beyond the constitutional argument...

You know that fat bastard will be 78 in 2024, right?
Yeah but he doesn't actually seem to be decaying that fast. He's much more with it than Biden, to be honest. I don't know how a diet of cheeseburgers and diet coke is keeping him alive but it seems to. Some people just get away with it.

DOTA

I've already said what they would do. In the event the military does nothing, they would secede. And that would ignite a civil war. But this is all pure fantasy in any case, because your scenario is fantasy to begin with. In fact, I don't see why we're even discussing it.
Who is fighting this civil war?

DOTA

Stop all communications with the White House and mobilize the Coast Guard. Massive protests from people.

It is not a scenario that can happen. Even GOP wouldn’t go with that.
The GOP have opposed him before. They lost.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah but he doesn't actually seem to be decaying that fast. He's much more with it than Biden, to be honest. I don't know how a diet of cheeseburgers and diet coke is keeping him alive but it seems to. Some people just get away with it.
And beyond him being 78...

His term would end at noon on January 20th. If he’s not leaving the White House at that time, he’s trespassing on White House grounds and the Secret Service will see him out. It is pretty simple, so please stop acting like this is a Tom Clancy novel.

Revan

Assumptionman
The GOP have opposed him before. They lost.
Opposing him for smallish things is different to opposing him for a potential civil war. For the likes of McConnell, Trump is an useful idiot. They use him but not at that cost.

This reminds me of right-wing nutters who though that Obama will try to continue as president after the elections.

DOTA

And beyond him being 78...

His term would end at noon on January 20th. If he’s not leaving the White House at that time, he’s trespassing on White House grounds and the Secret Service will see him out.
Says you. I don't think so.

DOTA

Opposing him for smallish things is different to opposing him for a potential civil war. For the likes of McConnell, Trump is an useful idiot. They use him but not at that cost.
They opposed his entire project. He defeated them and won the nomination. There is no longer a Republican party that isn't about Trump. He is the most popular Republican there has ever been.

DOTA

Both. You’re trying to gaslight at this point.

Source:
1) Continued soft coup argument
2) “he’s the most popular Republican there has ever been”
The I'll leave it there and take the path of least resistance rather than challenge the powers that be.

Redplane

What an absolute cnut Collins is.
Opinions about her aside - I am not sure how it's helpful yet at the same time I also don't put much stock in that it hurts. If anything - it will drive those who are potentially supportive of Harris further into her camp. Collins lacks the reach some of her other contemporaries on the left have. She risks being isolated before her game even got going.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
That needs a constitutional change which cannot happen (3/4 of states need to ratify it). So he cannot continue after January 2024 unless he does a coup d’etat or somehow managed to change the constitution.

People love to exaggerate here when it comes to the US.
As recently as 2018 the US was frighteningly close to being able to call a second constitutional convention. At one point there were something like 33 of the 34 necessary states with application in. I wouldn’t be quite so flippant about the supposed impossibility of such a convention happening at some point, and if it does then all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.