2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Opinions about her aside - I am not sure how it's helpful yet at the same time I also don't put much stock in that it hurts. If anything - it will drive those who are potentially supportive of Harris further into her camp. Collins lacks the reach some of her other contemporaries on the left have. She risks being isolated before her game even got going.
She’s a cycle or two from becoming a true force on the left although she hasn’t done a bad job up to now. I just cannot stand Collins, especially now since I live in the state.

Revan

Assumptionman
As recently as 2018 the US was frighteningly close to being able to call a second constitutional convention. At one point there were something like 33 of the 34 necessary states with application in. I wouldn’t be quite so flippant about the supposed impossibility of such a convention happening at some point, and if it does then all bets are off.
You need 38 states to change the constitution. Of course, if you get all those votes and change it, then it won’t be a coup and Trump having a third term or US becoming an absolute monarchy would be perfectly legal. Until then, it is just being paranoid (or in Caf’s case, shitting on the US for no particular reason).

Also the amendment needs to pass in both congress chambers by a supermajority.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You need 38 states to change the constitution. Of course, if you get all those votes and change it, then it won’t be a coup and Trump having a third term or US becoming an absolute monarchy would be perfectly legal. Until then, it is just being paranoid (or in Caf’s case, shitting on the US for no particular reason).

Also the amendment needs to pass in both congress chambers by a supermajority.
You need 2/3rds. Why would 2/3rds of 50 be 38?

Revan

Assumptionman
You need 2/3rds. Why would 2/3rds of 50 be 38?
Obviously because you need 3/4, not 2/3. You need 2/3 of states (or both chambers of the congress) to propose an amendment (though states have never used this right and every amendment has been proposed by the congress), but then in each case the amendment needs to be ratified by 3/4 of the states.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Obviously because you need 3/4, not 2/3. You need 2/3 of states (or both chambers of the congress) to propose an amendment (though states have never used this right and every amendment has been proposed by the congress), but then in each case the amendment needs to be ratified by 3/4 of the states.
That's not 100% true. Amendments can also be sent by congress to 'state ratifying conventions for ratification'.

Seriously there's been a lot of analysis about this, and if you think its all just fearmongering then you're not paying enough attention. The constitution is far too vague on this stuff, and if that 34 state number is ever reached you might find you have a very massive problem on your hands.

As the Washington Post put it back in 2017:

It is not even certain that three-fourths of the states would have to approve the convention’s work for it to become the law of the land, as the Constitution currently prescribes. The 1787 constitutional convention ditched preexisting ratification rules; who is to say a 2018 convention could not? In fact, nearly everything about this powerful process would be uncertain. Convention rules, which would be written ad hoc, could be manipulated to favor one party, region or interest group over another. Minority protections, so central to the Constitution’s guarantees, could be trampled upon. Sparsely populated states could impose their will on the majority of Americans who live in densely populated ones.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...d5b76a-197d-11e7-855e-4824bbb5d748_story.html

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Ilhan Omar came from Somalia
berbatrick said she had no chance
3.2 million down the drain
AIPAC loses again

Revan

Assumptionman
That's not 100% true. Amendments can also be sent by congress to 'state ratifying conventions for ratification'.

Seriously there's been a lot of analysis about this, and if you think its all just fearmongering then you're not paying enough attention. The constitution is far too vague on this stuff, and if that 34 state number is ever reached you might find you have a very massive problem on your hands.

As the Washington Post put it back in 2017:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...d5b76a-197d-11e7-855e-4824bbb5d748_story.html
To be fair, the article looks a bit of doom-mongering.

It starts well, even with:

Though it seems unlikely that the required three- fourths of states would subsequently approve major changes drawn up at a runaway convention, it is already amazing that so many states have taken the initial step of calling for one.
And then it says that they might decide to just you know not to require 3/4 of the votes (as is written in the constitution), cause I guess why not.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's a reasonable opinion that you happen to disagree with. Calling it "Alex Jones level conspiracy crap" just proves his point.
This "logic" makes absolutely no sense.

CR: "Your conspiracy theory makes no sense."
Eboue: "See, by denying his reasonable conspiracy theory you are proving the conspiracy exists!"

I can do it to:

Donald Trump is made of paper mache and cheeto dust. It is quite likely that if he gets caught in the rain he will turn into a pile of cheese flavored pulp. It could happen.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Eboue: "See, by denying his reasonable conspiracy theory you are proving the conspiracy exists!"

I can do it to:

Donald Trump is made of paper mache and cheeto dust. It is quite likely that if he gets caught in the rain he will turn into a pile of cheese flavored pulp. It could happen.
What conspiracy was I suggesting? I don't recall that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I can do it to:

you misread what eboue is saying by quite a distance

Revan

Assumptionman
What conspiracy was I suggesting? I don't recall that.
The one where Trump decides to get a third mandate which unambiguously breaks the constitution and where everyone is ok with that.

FFS, he is a useful clown for some GOP people, not Emperor Palpatine.

DOTA

The one where Trump decides to get a third mandate which unambiguously breaks the constitution and where everyone is ok with that.

FFS, he is a useful clown for some GOP people, not Emperor Palpatine.
Who is conspiring there? Thinking a power mad person will disobey rules and society will allow it, is not suggesting a conspiracy.

Having a low opinion of Trump and the United States' ability to inhibit authoritarians has nothing to do with lizard people or whatever else.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Normally when I have stuff to work on at night I turn CNN on and let it run, it's a nice mix of white noise and some interesting segments at times. I've probably had the tv on for the last 5 hours and they didn't have one single person saying anything remotely negative about Harris.

Of course it's not like Fox making stuff up, but it's scarily biased for a news channel that claims to be neutral.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me

I can do it to:

yeah thats not remotely what I said

Revan

Assumptionman
Who is conspiring there? Thinking a power mad person will disobey rules and society will allow it, is not suggesting a conspiracy.

Having a low opinion of Trump and the United States' ability to inhibit authoritarians has nothing to do with lizard people or whatever else.
You are making a conspiracy theory that has only slightly more chances on happening as lizard people being true.

DOTA

Carolina Red please stop pming me 2020 challenge
Come on. You can't do this when you're supposed to be moderating a thread. This is just silly.

I'm sure you're fine in the football forums and elsewhere but you're very in to this stuff, like me, like Eboue, who would also make terrible moderators of these threads.

Take a few steps back or stick to the places you're less intense.

Charlie Foley

Come on. You can't do this when you're supposed to be moderating a thread. This is just silly.

I'm sure you're fine in the football forums and elsewhere but you're very in to this stuff, like me, like Eboue, who would also make terrible moderators of these threads.

Take a few steps back or stick to the places you're less intense.
He is Eboue

Status
Not open for further replies.