2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Plenty of Americans are fairly supportive of the idea of single-payer but the challenge will be selling it to them in the face of the rebuttals that'll come from Trump and co. Over here in the UK there were polls done which indicated people were a lot more supportive of Corbyn's policies when they didn't know they were actually his. Obviously he was able to recover that deficit to an extent with a good campaign but any US candidate would likely face the same problems, with the inevitable 'commie' jibes etc.

Ultimately I think personality will be the best indicator of a strong candidate though, even if it shouldn't be. Bernie would stand a strong chance because even when you take away his various policies, one of the strongest aspects of his political style is that he's a strong speaker who resonates with voters. A single-payer supporter that's either him, or someone in his ilk, will stand a decent chance if they can shrug off Trump's various criticisms while making him look silly. And it'll obviously help if they've got a close to perfect personal record...since Trump was able to drag down Hilary and deflect from his own assault allegations by drawing Bill Clinton into it etc.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Feck off. Career politicians aren't great either, but at least they generally know the ins-and-outs of the job role. Get someone in with experience in Law, international relations, climate science FFS.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yesterdays speech now looks like it was well planned to see what the reaction would be.
I personally don't know whether Oprah would be a good choice for the Dems. We need to return to bringing qualified people who have experience in governance back to the forefront.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Feck off. Career politicians aren't great either, but at least they generally know the ins-and-outs of the job role. Get someone in with experience in Law, international relations, climate science FFS.
Yeah, politicians should have prior experience and knowledge before taking on the biggest political position available to them. Celebrities with no experience can feck right off - famous people who want the benefits of political fame without working for it and helping out communities etc over a number of years.

Fergies Gum

I personally don't know whether Oprah would be a good choice for the Dems. We need to return to bringing qualified people who have experience in governance back to the forefront.
Its an awful idea.

Member 5225

haha re Oprah!

Actually I think I want her to run, for the ensuing inevitable drama.

Seriously, US politics is better than a TV show!!

Fergies Gum

It's not a fecking game show its people's lives.

The world is fecked.
Its just pathetic. CNN are at it again and aren't learning their lessons from the criticism they received for their coverage of the 2016 election.

The Firestarter

Just when you start thinking "Is this a jo..." and you remember the current state of affairs. Sad!

Scarecrow

Having a week off
A billionaire reality TV star without any political experience or ideas to run for president? Surely not, that's embarrassing.

The absurdity of the Democrats doing the exact thing they've been so hysterical about for the past two years would be kind of funny, to be honest. Full circle.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It'll be that Kamala Harris or Warren. Can't see Booker getting through the primaries. Still too early for Gabbard and Kennedy.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Ivanka's campaign slogan: I'm With Hair

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
If I had to make an inevitably wrong guess, I'd say she'd likelier play the part of an influential endorser in the primary.

Member 5225

Warren’s campaign would collapse before it really gets started IMO, way too much baggage and I don’t think she has the persona to rally a huge segment of the population IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.