2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Whether or not its a good idea is a different thing from whether or not it would work.
Its bad how ever you look at it. Firstly Oprah doesnt know shit about running a country. These celebs needs to shut the feck up about running for President. When there was news about The Rock running for President I was first excited cause who doesnt love him but then thinking about it will also be a bad idea cause he knows squat about running a country.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Re: Oprah

The public have had enough of experts, red tape, and City threads. Also...free stuffs!!!!

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I personally don't know whether Oprah would be a good choice for the Dems. We need to return to bringing qualified people who have experience in governance back to the forefront.
Realistically how qualified were Obama, W Bush, Bill and Reagan given they only governed at state level? Obviously more than Trump/Oprah but probably not nearly the most qualified individuals in terms of experience. Experienced candidates haven't typically done so well.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Realistically how qualified were Obama, W Bush, Bill and Reagan given they only governed at state level? Obviously more than Trump/Oprah but probably not nearly the most qualified individuals in terms of experience. Experienced candidates haven't typically done so well.
I'd argue having actual experience of governance - even at state level - is far beyond not having any political experience whatsoever. Obviously the job is incredibly different but a lot of the fundamentals would be similar.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Being a Governor is the highest level executive job one can have prior to running for President - so Reagan, Clinton, and Dubya were based on their professional experiences, well qualified to run. Being a Senator is a close second so that would qualify Obama as well.

Running a reality show or talk show...not so much.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
And how did having someone who had the entire party behind her work out last time around? Bernie will get votes from the American people. The Dems hopefully learned their lesson from last time.
If only the elections are decided by popular vote!

Just like Trump, Bernie's numbers looked more favourable due to Clinton's own unpopularity. If it's a contest between Biden vs Bernie in primary, I'd expect Biden to win easily.

RDCR07

Just like Trump, Bernie's numbers looked more favourable due to Clinton's own unpopularity. If it's a contest between Biden vs Bernie in primary, I'd expect Biden to win easily.
Well it aint decided by the popular vote now is it? So whats the point in talking about it?

You do know Bernie had more favorable numbers than Trump itself right? If the Dems didnt collude among themselves to make Hillary their candidate, I dont think we would be in this fecked up situation cause Bernie would have beaten Trump in my opinion. If Bernie ran longer, aka if he was the Dem nominee, his support would have only grown. Look at his FIRST press conference when he announced he is running. Look at his last one. This guy garnered support like no one politician I have ever seen.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I personally don't know whether Oprah would be a good choice for the Dems. We need to return to bringing qualified people who have experience in governance back to the forefront.
Isn't that basically Hillary's campaign in a nutshell? Pity those 80k people or so in those 3 states wanted to destroy the world.

Fergies Gum

Recent polling shows Sanders is the most popular politician in the country. Polls done on a monthly basis show the same thing, so you cant just say its coincidental.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

A lot of figures had Bernie down as doing better against Trump than Clinton. He'd have certainly fared better in the rust belt which largely swung it. But aye, in a Dem primary I imagine Biden would win.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well it aint decided by the popular vote now is it? So whats the point in talking about it?

You do know Bernie had more favorable numbers than Trump itself right? If the Dems didnt collude among themselves to make Hillary their candidate, I dont think we would be in this fecked up situation cause Bernie would have beaten Trump in my opinion. If Bernie ran longer, aka if he was the Dem nominee, his support would have only grown. Look at his FIRST press conference when he announced he is running. Look at his last one. This guy garnered support like no one politician I have ever seen.
Hillary did get millions more votes in the primary.

Also, you only need to look at Obama for someone who went from relatively unknown to the presidency.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Isn't that basically Hillary's campaign in a nutshell? Pity those 80k people or so in those 3 states wanted to destroy the world.
Its most political campaigns where the likes of governors, senators, and congresspeople are actually running for office as opposed to entertainers the like

RDCR07

Hillary did get millions more votes in the primary.

Also, you only need to look at Obama for someone who went from relatively unknown to the presidency.
I am not denying the fact that she did but she still lost. A major reason for that was some Bernie supporters thought they would rather vote for Trump than Hillary which was stupid but she did lose those votes. The point Im trying to make is Bernie would not have lost as many Hillary supporters to the Reps if Hillary had lost the primaries.

Fergies Gum

Reaction on Reddit and grassroots forums is very negative on this Oprah news.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I am not denying the fact that she did but she still lost. A major reason for that was some Bernie supporters thought they would rather vote for Trump than Hillary which was stupid but she did lose those votes. The point Im trying to make is Bernie would not have lost as many Hillary supporters to the Reps if Hillary had lost the primaries.
Don't forget that Bernie winning - outside of the fact that Trump wouldn't be in office - wouldn't yield any tangible results in terms of policy since the Republicans would block literally everything he would attempt to advance and we would be looking at potential Republican gains in the Congress this coming November.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Reaction on Reddit and grassroots forums is very negative on this Oprah news.
For my sanity I stick to a single small subreddit, where the reaction is bound to be negative.
Where all are you seeing it?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Being a Governor is the highest level executive job one can have prior to running for President - so Reagan, Clinton, and Dubya were based on their professional experiences, well qualified to run. Being a Senator is a close second so that would qualify Obama as well.

Running a reality show or talk show...not so much.
Agreed, Oprah is a lot better than the current idiot in office and at least she has a brain and a soul, but being a celebrity should not really be enough qualification to become the most powerful person in the world.

Fergies Gum

Propaganda operation seems to be operational against Oprah. Bots & right wing accounts posting photos of her with Weinstein.

RDCR07

Don't forget that Bernie winning - outside of the fact that Trump wouldn't be in office - wouldn't yield any tangible results in terms of policy since the Republicans would block literally everything he would attempt to advance and we would be looking at potential Republican gains in the Congress this coming November.
Again not denying that it would be difficult but some of the stuff that this fecking idiot signed in wont exist, like this coal, healthcare, destroying natural parks, oil drilling, rolling back so many Obama era regulations etc. Not to mention we wont be a laughing stock around the world.

Minimalist

Meh, Obama was practically a celebrity by the time he was elected. They've now elected Trump and people are surprised by these sorts of suggestions?

Americans are nuts.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Again not denying that it would be difficult but some of the stuff that this fecking idiot signed in wont exist, like this coal, healthcare, destroying natural parks, oil drilling, rolling back so many Obama era regulations etc. Not to mention we wont be a laughing stock around the world.
Ok, so then there's no tangible benefit to Bernie over Hillary then. Cool.

RDCR07

Ok, so then there's no tangible benefit to Bernie over Hillary then. Cool.
Well I thought the whole we wont be in the fecked up situation was the main benefit? Hillary didnt win. Bernie would have or at least had a better chance at the time he lost to Hillary in the primaries.

Silva

Obama was practically a celebrity by the time he was elected.
He was a political celebrity, lots of charisma and first black nominee. He didn't start his career or campaign leveraging his fame, but it did follow, as it has for every other notable nominee, Sarah Palin is still famously stupid thanks to her run for veep.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Meh, Obama was practically a celebrity by the time he was elected. They've now elected Trump and people are surprised by these sorts of suggestions?

Americans are nuts.
He became a cultural celebrity by running, which is a massive difference from being a reality tv host and running.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well I thought the whole we wont be in the fecked up situation was the main benefit? Hillary didnt win. Bernie would have or at least had a better chance at the time he lost to Hillary in the primaries.
We don't know that since Bernie's numbers were untarnished by 6 months of Trump attacking him.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Meh, Obama was practically a celebrity by the time he was elected.
That's a stretch, he was a senator for three years and graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law. Sure, he wasn't a governor or anything, but his ability to draw crowds shouldn't just make him a celebrity.

Americans are nuts.
Agree 100%

RDCR07

We don't know that since Bernie's numbers were untarnished by 6 months of Trump attacking him.
Well his support would have grown bigger and he would have been much more capable of handing Trump in the debates plus Bernie didnt have any of these big scandals hanging over him.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Just think, there's probably a universe out there where the pee tape was real and Bernie became president with both houses narrowly going Dem.

roseguy64

Agreed, Oprah is a lot better than the current idiot in office and at least she has a brain and a soul, but being a celebrity should not really be enough qualification to become the most powerful person in the world.
Also, she's actually successful at running businesses.

Silva

Just think, there's probably a universe out there where the pee tape was real and Bernie became president with both houses narrowly going Dem.
There's also a universe where I tripped in the toilet and drowned in my own piss, but it's better not to think about those places.

Status
Not open for further replies.