2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Firestarter

Well it would've been one of the two assuming the Nazis prevailed. The bit about the Soviets in the cold war wouldn't of course apply if they had a blank canvas to do as they pleased as the world's only superpower with nukes for the past 70 years.
Actually a more plausible example would be the US as the sole nuclear state.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Amazing the ad is still up after 15 days. These sorts of things are usually embarrassing and get quickly taken down once circulation on social media begins.
Much as I'd love it to be true, there have been multiple instances in the past where people on the left have put up these ads (and people on the right put up supposedly Democratic ads) to try and make fun of their opponents. I wouldn't take it at face value.

GiddyUp

This is vast becoming the new home for the so-called moderate Republicans. No wonder Bernie seemed concerned.
And it also seems that a few bastions of liberal ideals in here wouldn't mind another trump term because Susan Sarandon spent all night picking through Biden's website.
Which will be worse over the next four years, a trump presidency or a Biden presidency?
How will progressives gain ground if right wing conservatives hold power?
What will a 7-2 split (RGB & SB possible retirement) on the S.C. mean to this country?

There are no illusions in here about the shithole this country can be or the disaster of foreign policy over the last 75 years but let's be honest. The fecking world is triple wrapped in "American Culture" if you can call it that. Technology, war, money, innovation, entertainment, exploitation, philanthropic endeavors, etc. All built on a foundation of genocide and "freedom".
We are at a point where there has to be some form of unity. Getting rid of trump and McConnell is a huge start. Telling Pelosi to take a back seat is another. We have a far right party with very few moderates and a center right party by European standards with a growing progressive agenda.
Tell me who benefits by voting for the former? Why even leave anything to chance when a 2nd term trump is far more likely to drag this country in to a Qanon conspiracy than help anyone that doesn't feed his ego.
I'm fecking gutted that Biden is the candidate but it's not all about him. The Dems need the balls to start prosecutions if they take the WH and get it on the wire in the Senate, I don't think Biden has them to do that, or Pelosi. Just more healing bullshit. But I do think he will have enough powerful and progressive voices and advisors to fecking push and keep pushing.
Wishful thinking, it is the Dems after all but at least the Departments of government won't have acting secretaries with dubious agendas, De Joy and De Vos. These are the people that deserve your scorn at this moment in time. Pick your battles is an important bit of advice you can give someone these days.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Does Rogan now live inside a Doom map ?
As much as some of Rogan's content is vaguely interesting, it would be utterly dumb for Biden to even consider this since Rogan himself has already said he's voting for Trump. Its a bit like when Rogan invites Vegan v Meat activists on to officiate the debates - even after Rogan himself has spent years trashing plant based diets. Biden would therefore have everything to lose and Trump everything to gain.

Sweet Square

As much as some of Rogan's content is vaguely interesting, it would be utterly dumb for Biden to even consider this since Rogan himself has already said he's voting for Trump. Its a bit like when Rogan invites Vegan v Meat activists on to officiate the debates - even after Rogan himself has spent years trashing plant based diets. Biden would therefore have everything to lose and Trump everything to gain.
Oh yeah it would be very stupid idea from Biden. It made sense for the likes of Sanders as he was trying to target young and non voters but for Biden it would be a waste of time.

Really the less Biden is on tv/online the better tbh.

SirAF

Ageist
Wow, I really didn’t think that low of Rogan earlier. I thought he was fairly liberal?

Charlie Foley

I've meant to ask this for ages but always shy away in the end. Not anymore, it's a free world bitches.. what is an Overton window?
The range of policies politically acceptable to the mainstream in a given country at a given time. Named after Joseph Overton

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
And it also seems that a few bastions of liberal ideals in here wouldn't mind another trump term because Susan Sarandon spent all night picking through Biden's website.
Which will be worse over the next four years, a trump presidency or a Biden presidency?
How will progressives gain ground if right wing conservatives hold power?
What will a 7-2 split (RGB & SB possible retirement) on the S.C. mean to this country?

There are no illusions in here about the shithole this country can be or the disaster of foreign policy over the last 75 years but let's be honest. The fecking world is triple wrapped in "American Culture" if you can call it that. Technology, war, money, innovation, entertainment, exploitation, philanthropic endeavors, etc. All built on a foundation of genocide and "freedom".
We are at a point where there has to be some form of unity. Getting rid of trump and McConnell is a huge start. Telling Pelosi to take a back seat is another. We have a far right party with very few moderates and a center right party by European standards with a growing progressive agenda.
Tell me who benefits by voting for the former? Why even leave anything to chance when a 2nd term trump is far more likely to drag this country in to a Qanon conspiracy than help anyone that doesn't feed his ego.
I'm fecking gutted that Biden is the candidate but it's not all about him. The Dems need the balls to start prosecutions if they take the WH and get it on the wire in the Senate, I don't think Biden has them to do that, or Pelosi. Just more healing bullshit. But I do think he will have enough powerful and progressive voices and advisors to fecking push and keep pushing.
Wishful thinking, it is the Dems after all but at least the Departments of government won't have acting secretaries with dubious agendas, De Joy and De Vos. These are the people that deserve your scorn at this moment in time. Pick your battles is an important bit of advice you can give someone these days.
I think this an extremely intriguing fact which makes me wonder how much the Northern European democracies actually still have in common with the US. Use Norway as an example. While Christianity harldy sways any power around here anymore, both in politics and in the society as such, a fundamentalist evangelical version of it seems to dominate large parts of the Republican party. Even all this God bless America stuff which is apparently mandatory to say whenever anyone finish a speech is unthinkable to utter around here, people would regard you as a nutter completely out of touch. Add these factors as well: Armed to the teeth militias, some even legally roaming the streets with automatic rifles, the death penalty, widespread police violence, a massive poverty problem, hardly any social services, and people dying because they can't afford basic medical treatment.

Apart from the gun nuts and police violence which seems like more of a South American combo, the US has more in common with the Norway of the early 1900s than the present version.

GiddyUp

I think this an extremely intriguing fact which makes me wonder how much the Northern European democracies actually still have in common with the US. Use Norway as an example. While Christianity harldy sways any power around here anymore, both in politics and in the society as such, a fundamentalist evangelical version of it seems to dominate large parts of the Republican party. Even all this God bless America stuff which is apparently mandatory to say whenever anyone finish a speech is unthinkable to utter around here, people would regard you as a nutter completely out of touch. Add these factors as well: Armed to the teeth militias, some even legally roaming the streets with automatic rifles, the death penalty, widespread police violence, a massive poverty problem, hardly any social services, and people dying because they can't afford basic medical treatment.

Apart from the gun nuts and police violence which seems like more of a South American combo, the US has more in common with the Norway of the early 1900s than the present version.
I know it's hard to believe right now but American culture isn't just guns and religion. Republicanism definitely but very few people I know around me own a gun and literally none of them go to church. This country has a massive amount if belligerent stupidity which clouds all the good things about it. In my opinion that is the most dangerous thing right now.

Edit: I do agree with you and you are not wrong. This is a greedy self centered country and the problems are deep rooted. But well over half the population are decent, live and let live type of people.

Last edited:

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I know it's hard to believe right now but American culture isn't just guns and religion. Republicanism definitely but very few people I know around me own a gun and literally none of them go to church. This country has a massive amount if belligerent stupidity which clouds all the good things about it. In my opinion that is the most dangerous thing right now.

Edit: I do agree with you and you are not wrong. This is a greedy self centered country and the problems are deep rooted. But well over half the population are decent, live and let live type of people.
I've never been to America, and it's the news and media that shapes my understanding of it. For us from the outside patriotism, militarism, gun ownership, etc. are what defines America.

Looking a bit deeper though, especially in these polarized times, it seems like there is a Metropolitan America and a Rural America with contrasting views on almost everything, and almost nothing in common, so it's kind of hard to pin point what American culture is. I'd be interested to know what you (or any of our resident Americans) think is universal enough across the states to be considered American culture.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I've never been to America, and it's the news and media that shapes my understanding of it. For us from the outside patriotism, militarism, gun ownership, etc. are what defines America.

Looking a bit deeper though, especially in these polarized times, it seems like there is a Metropolitan America and a Rural America with contrasting views on almost everything, and almost nothing in common, so it's kind of hard to pin point what American culture is. I'd be interested to know what you (or any of our resident Americans) think is universal enough across the states to be considered American culture.
I don't live there and would also be interested in the answer; but my impression is that this rural/urban divide, or more generally the Rep/Dem divide (maybe more accurate) is largely a political creation of the past 50 years. From what I've read, the Republican party in the 50s or 60s(?) sensed that there was political capital in moving right and cultivating a certain worldview, which meant that different parts of the country really started moving in different speeds. This is not exclusively rural/urban, but it does play a big role in it. Consequently, any talk of splitting up the US along political lines does not make much sense, as the divide can be as strong inside California, or Colorado, or Illinois, or Georgia, etc. (But happy to be corrected.)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Me pointing out that Biden's campaign website did not update their tools since the primary doesn't mean I want Trump to win because I or an actress desn't like that website. It is obvious from that post, where I wrote some text- my point is that Biden is taking a risk by running for president without running much of an actual campaign. It seems the campaign agreed partly with that point since it updated the site.
Congratulations for writing something so mind-numbing that you made me see ignored content and then respond to it.

After arguing on here for a long while, I decided in February to do some actual persuading for Bernie with texts and canvassing. Fat lot of good it did, but it's more productive than whatever this is. You're passionate about Biden, channel that into something potentially productive. I know I felt much better with that rather than arguing here.

GiddyUp

Me pointing out that Biden's campaign website did not update their tools since the primary doesn't mean I want Trump to win because I or an actress desn't like that website. It is obvious from that post, where I wrote some text- my point is that Biden is taking a risk by running for president without running much of an actual campaign. It seems the campaign agreed partly with that point since it updated the site.
Congratulations for writing something so mind-numbing that you made me see ignored content and then respond to it.

After arguing on here for a long while, I decided in February to do some actual persuading for Bernie with texts and canvassing. Fat lot of good it did, but it's more productive than whatever this is. You're passionate about Biden, channel that into something potentially productive. I know I felt much better with that rather than arguing here.
Surprised you didn't put this in a tweet and then post it here. No one is passionate about Biden and that's your problem, it's not about being passionate. Politics isn't a fecking hobby. It's about voting people like trump out of office and by extension his family, Pence, Chad Wolf, De Vos, De Joy. Where is your condemnation for McConnell and the cnuts like him?

Sweet Square

Surprised you didn't put this in a tweet and then post it here. No one is passionate about Biden and that's your problem, it's not about being passionate. Politics isn't a fecking hobby. It's about voting people like trump out of office and by extension his family, Pence, Chad Wolf, De Vos, De Joy. Where is your condemnation for McConnell and the cnuts like him?
I've heard he spends many a night browsing the transfer tweet thread.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
How much I miss
Moscow Mitch
I asked for a kiss
He left me in a ditch
That son of a bitch
Moscow Mitch

Last edited:

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
:lol:

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots

YEAh, I totally get that. It just that so many aspects of life in the US feels like a totally different planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.