2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Square

The counterargument is that Biden should avoid getting into the mud with Trump at the debate and just talk policy, which is generally Trump's kryptonite.
It's hardly Biden strong point though. Have no idea what will happen in the debate. Plus I though Clinton did a decent job in the 2016 debates but it turn out to mean nothing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's hardly Biden strong point though. Have no idea what will happen in the debate. Plus I though Clinton did a decent job in the 2016 debates but it turn out to mean nothing.
I don't think the debates will mean much either especially since millions will have already voted by the time the three debates are done.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I know YT comments are a steaming pile of shite but the amount of crying about the Rock endorsing Biden & Harris is kind of amusing nonetheless:

I especially love the ones saying he s gonna lose millions of fans over that. Waiting for the inevitable videos of tools burning their WWE stuff thinking they re showing him what they think about him now. Maybe John Cena and Batista will do the same to really make their heads explode.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
either tax document related or more likely, is still getting the internal blame for currently losing so badly in polls.
I don't think he'd have too much involvement with the taxes, but he could be getting heat from the campaign or law enforcement over his management of the campaign. Some of the financial management from the campaign seems to be crossing lines. Parscale hasn't seemed especially stable in general.

Of course a Trump spokesman is blaming the media.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I don't think he'd have too much involvement with the taxes, but he could be getting heat from the campaign or law enforcement over his management of the campaign. Some of the financial management from the campaign seems to be crossing lines. Parscale hasn't seemed especially stable in general.

Of course a Trump spokesman is blaming the media.

Disgraceful from Murtagh, but not surprising either.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The counterargument is that Biden should avoid getting into the mud with Trump at the debate and just talk policy, which is generally Trump's kryptonite.
It’s a shitty idea, that’s exactly what Hillary did and it totally failed. Biden needs to stand up to Trump, make him look like a stupid infant, shame him publicly, and make him go totally off the rails. As much as I never wanted Joe Biden as the candidate, he’s the perfect person to face Trump in the debates too, as long as he stays focused and doesn’t get too angry himself.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It’s a shitty idea, that’s exactly what Hillary did and it totally failed. Biden needs to stand up to Trump, make him look like a stupid infant, shame him publicly, and make him go totally off the rails. As much as I never wanted Joe Biden as the candidate, he’s the perfect person to face Trump in the debates too, as long as he stays focused and doesn’t get too angry himself.
And what would this accomplish? He is already up in every credible poll and millions of people will have already voted by then. He’s also prone to losing his temper and control of his emotions which will only play into Trump’s hands of wanting Biden to be perceived as unstable.

Hillary actually attacked Trump quite a bit during their debates by calling him a Russian puppet and suggesting he didn’t pay taxes (among other things), and it did nothing for her other than help galvanize sentiment against her.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
And what would this accomplish? He is already up in every credible poll and millions of people will have already voted by then. He’s also prone to losing his temper and control of his emotions which will only play into Trump’s hands of wanting Biden to be perceived as unstable.

Hillary actually attacked Trump quite a bit during their debates by calling him a Russian puppet and suggesting he didn’t pay taxes (among other things), and it did nothing for her other than help galvanize sentiment against her.
Hillary had to deal with the inherent sexism in society that makes people dislike women who fight back. Biden doesn’t have to deal with that, he has that charming old white guy appeal that’s gotten him where he is, and he’s also good at playing the ‘bluff, tough, no nonsense man that stands up to bullies’ character. It’s his strongest asset by far, and it’s a perfect foil to Trump’s crass verbal assaults.

Trump has been beating to death this narrative that Biden is senile and hiding in his basement. Obviously it’s stupid, but the longer Biden stays fairly quiet, it resonates with some people. Biden was smart to shut his mouth and let Trump hang himself so far, but he can’t just creep to the finish line, or at least he shouldn’t if he wants to make this a landslide not a risky close election.

Now is the perfect time to beat the proverbial crap out of Trump at a debate and send him into a tailspin.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hillary had to deal with the inherent sexism in society that makes people dislike women who fight back. Biden doesn’t have to deal with that, he has that charming old white guy appeal that’s gotten him where he is, and he’s also good at playing the ‘bluff, tough, no nonsense man that stands up to bullies’ character. It’s his strongest asset by far, and it’s a perfect foil to Trump’s crass verbal assaults.

Trump has been beating to death this narrative that Biden is senile and hiding in his basement. Obviously it’s stupid, but the longer Biden stays fairly quiet, it resonates with some people. Biden was smart to shut his mouth and let Trump hang himself so far, but he can’t just creep to the finish line, or at least he shouldn’t if he wants to make this a landslide not a risky close election.

Now is the perfect time to beat the proverbial crap out of Trump at a debate and send him into a tailspin.
Except that there no such thing as beating the crap out of Trump in a debate. You can attack him and he will attack back about Hunter, dementia, and the entire debate windsup getting dragged away from policy, which is Trump’s biggest weakness. The more you talk policy around him the less comfortable he is, which would be a best case scenario for Biden. Trump’s strategy going in will be to emotionally trigger Biden into saying something ridiculous, which Trump’s propaganda apparatus will use to fundraise off of and help turn out his base, which is not something Biden should play into.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Except that there no such thing as beating the crap out of Trump in a debate. You can attack him and he will attack back about Hunter, dementia, and the entire debate windsup getting dragged away from policy, which is Trump’s biggest weakness. The more you talk policy around him the less comfortable he is, which would be a best case scenario for Biden. Trump’s strategy going in will be to emotionally trigger Biden into saying something ridiculous, which Trump’s propaganda apparatus will use to fundraise off of and help turn out his base, which is not something Biden should play into.
Wildly disagree. This idea that you can’t fight a lying bully is just wrong, you just have to avoid getting dragged into the fight that they want to have. Trump is an extremely fragile narcissist. With the right attacks he can crumble.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wildly disagree. This idea that you can’t fight a lying bully is just wrong, you just have to avoid getting dragged into the fight that they want to have. Trump is an extremely fragile narcissist. With the right attacks he can crumble.
You can try to but to no benefit to yourself and all the benefit to Trump. There’s a reason the phrase “don’t get into the mud with a pig - you’ll only get dirty and the pig will like it”, exists. Playing into Trump’s hands is the last thing Biden should be doing, especially since there’s substantial risk and literally no reward for doing so.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You can try to but to no benefit to yourself and all the benefit to Trump. There’s a reason the phrase “don’t get into the mud with a pig - you’ll only get dirty and the pig will like it”, exists. Playing into Trump’s hands is the last thing Biden should be doing, especially since there’s substantial risk and literally no reward for doing so.
I’m just going to adopt a position of you being wrong on this, and then we can see how the debates go, and you can potentially rub my face in it later.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Im not sure what trumps going to do in the debate

Most pundits think hes going to go after hunter with personal attacks and try to get Biden angry

But thats been so heavily trailed I'm not sure it has the shock factor ... I think hes going to do something (even by his standards) shocking

Announce a prosecution of Hunter?

Or perhaps go full QANON and accuse Biden of being a reptillian peado

I have a feeling hes going to go much further than people are expecting and I hope in the debate prep they have run through some crazy scenarios

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ah yes, policy, a noted strong area for Biden.
Also, it's the area where Trump can spout bullshit topped of with some catchy slogans - which might appeal to many viewers more than whatever more nuanced story Biden might tell. Although I guess debates actually only make a difference for a view centrist voters who might actually care about the fine print. (There was a long article in my newspaper today about how the effect of debates on voter decisions in the US is vastly overrated, and often actually gets gradually changed retroactively to fit overall narratives, while that wasn't what actually happened.)

nimic

something nice
Scout
Don't get into an argument with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
From the screenshots in the video looks like that spreadsheet was not only about blacks but about all voters, so I'm not sure if the racial angle is valid here. (Again, based on a first glance) looks like they were classifying all voters into certain buckets.
FYI, when canvassing we had to note if a person had early voted Bernie, or was strong Bernie, leaning Bernie, undecided, leaning someone else, or decided for someone else/anti-Bernie. We did not note race, and this was done by in-person contact not data farming. Still, the campaign would have had a similar spreadsheeet, and I imagine most campaigns would.

There's also a column about personality types - probably this is the facebook Cambridge Analytica data.

Drifter

American
Georgia judge strikes down attempt to purge 14K voters in largely Black county

A Georgia judge on Monday halted an attempt to purge 14,000 voters from a county with a large Black population.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported that Fulton County Superior Court Jane Barwick dismissed a request from citizens that the county be forced to hold hearings on the status of 14,000 voters.

According to attorney Ray Smith, who represents the group of citizens, many of the voters in the county do not live at the address where they are registered. Smith claimed to have boxes of affidavits from registered voters.

David Lowman, an attorney for Fulton county, argued that federal law prevents the purging of voters this close to an election.

The Georgia NAACP, the Georgia Coalition for the People’s Agenda, the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and the New Georgia Project all expressed support for the county’s position, The Atlanta Journal Constitution said.

Under the ruling, the petitioners will be allowed to refile the request.

The Census Bureau estimates that 44.5% of the population of Fulton County is Black.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
From the screenshots in the video looks like that spreadsheet was not only about blacks but about all voters, so I'm not sure if the racial angle is valid here. (Again, based on a first glance) looks like they were classifying all voters into certain buckets.
FYI, when canvassing we had to note if a person had early voted Bernie, or was strong Bernie, leaning Bernie, undecided, leaning someone else, or decided for someone else/anti-Bernie. We did not note race, and this was done by in-person contact not data farming. Still, the campaign would have had a similar spreadsheeet, and I imagine most campaigns would.

There's also a column about personality types - probably this is the facebook Cambridge Analytica data.

The issue is that they used this data to target black voters and suppress the vote, not that they necessarily collected data on individuals. The Trump campaign also denied that they targeted voters by race or that they attempted to dissuade people from voting.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
A landslide Biden victory would be horrible for progressives. Biden would not pass any radical policies pointing to moderate Republicans voting for him as the proof for bipartisanship still being a thing. Establishment Dems would continue to live in the dream where they can pull so called moderate Republicans as votes only to be shocked in next mid term when Dem turn out is low due to shit policies and Republicans go back to vote on party lines again.

Redjazz

Siena College/The New York Times (A+): Biden +9 in Pennsylvania (49-40).

ABC/Post will release another later tonight.

lsd

The Oracle
I know YT comments are a steaming pile of shite but the amount of crying about the Rock endorsing Biden & Harris is kind of amusing nonetheless:

I especially love the ones saying he s gonna lose millions of fans over that. Waiting for the inevitable videos of tools burning their WWE stuff thinking they re showing him what they think about him now. Maybe John Cena and Batista will do the same to really make their heads explode.

I wonder what Republicans he voted for in the past as he said he has voted for both parties previously . He has always been friendly with Obama so maybe Bush or Even Trump last time

Carolina Red

Staff
I wonder what Republicans he voted for in the past as he said he has voted for both parties previously . He has always been friendly with Obama so maybe Bush or Even Trump last time
I wouldn’t be surprised if he voted for Bush in 2000. He spoke at the GOP Convention that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.