2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Square

I forget he’s on local minimum wage living in a favela and not living in a private retreat in the mountains surrounded by rainforest, no longer making appearances on global news channels and writing articles for numerous print and electronic media.
Well he is hated by the current president who's a far right homophobic fascist. Plus Greenwald friend and activist Marielle Franco was murder by a far right militia group who had connections to Bolsonaro family.

But yeah I'm sure he has a big tv and the complete collection of the wire on blu ray!

owlo

@Charlie Foley Any particular reason why Kavanaugh is fairly consistently siding with the liberal side on these election matters, or is it just that hes not THAT far right compared to Gorsuch?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
@Charlie Foley Any particular reason why Kavanaugh is fairly consistently siding with the liberal side on these election matters, or is it just that hes not THAT far right compared to Gorsuch?
They are different on different issues, and both probably balance out to a similar level of conservative opinions.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He gets a massive salary from the intercept and I'm not sure if his substack can match it.
Im calling it, he’ll end up with a big fat news contract.

Well he is hated by the current president who's a far right homophobic fascist. Plus Greenwald friend and activist Marielle Franco was murder by a far right militia group who had connections to Bolsonaro family.

But yeah I'm sure he has a big tv and the complete collection of the wire on blu ray!
I‘m not really following your point? You said he wouldn’t be living in Brazil if he was chasing a big retirement fund. He lives in Brazil because his Brazilian husband can’t get US citizenship. I’m not sure how that indicates that he’s not ready to sell out?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Im calling it, he’ll end up with a big fat news contract.
probably. the intercept gave him half a million a year with no editorial control (apparently), freedom to choose topics, and seemingly no minimum articles needed/no maximum word length. unheard of anywhere i think. all the upside of blogging but with $500,000. he might do better on tv but definitely not on substack and it isn't a sure bet i think.

He lives in Brazil because his Brazilian husband can’t get US citizenship.
he moved there when gay marriage was illegal in the US. also his husband won an election 2-3 years ago, don't think he would want to move out now? but i've not heard he's banned from the US?

Sweet Square

I‘m not really following your point? You said he wouldn’t be living in Brazil if he was chasing a big retirement fund. He lives in Brazil because his Brazilian husband can’t get US citizenship. I’m not sure how that indicates that he’s not ready to sell out?
There are other countries in the world btw.

Sell out to who ? He's just left a well paid job at the intercept over an editorial dispute. If he just wanted a big retirement fund(So far there's no evidence for this claim) why would he stick around in a Brazil ? He clearly has a connection to the place that goes beyond his nice house.

Even if you dislike his politics it's a pretty stupid argument to say say he doesn't give a shit and is just wanting for a big pay day.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
There are other countries in the world btw.

Sell out to who ? He's just left a well paid job at the intercept over an editorial dispute. If he just wanted a big retirement fund(So far there's no evidence for this claim) why would he stick around in a Brazil ? He clearly has a connection to the place that goes beyond his nice house.

Even if you dislike his politics it's a pretty stupid argument to say say he doesn't give a shit and is just wanting for a big pay day.
Sure we’ll have to agree to disagree then. Its not that I don’t agree with his politics, it’s that he’s turned into more and more of a contrarian charlatan over the last 7 years. That’s what has lead me to believe he’s sold out. He’s left the intercept because they imposed the most basic journalistic responsibility on him, it wasn’t really anything to do with editorial direction. If you read the email from the editor they are clearly trying to guide him towards critical thought and due diligence and yet for some reason he’s hell bent on ignoring the evidence and any sort of common sense and instead trying to subtly add credit to the whacky and salacious Biden/Ukraine nonsense.

He had every opportunity to deliver a credible investigation into the media’s neglect of duty when it comes to Biden as a presidential candidate and instead chose to follow the same leads his mates Tucker Carlson, and Sean Hannity helped to plant so my criticism has absolutely zero to do with his politics and everything to do with the rapidly diminishing credibility if his journalistic practices.

MTF

I don't want to get into the whole discussion of what Greenwald wants and doesn't want out of life... but I do want to point out that you can make good money whether its paid to you in Brazil or elsewhere, while physically living in Brazil. Same as with most other places in the world these days... big money in your US bank account and living in far away places are not mutually exclusive propositions.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Maybe someone could add a prediction poll on the thread with brackets on electoral votes?

owlo

I noted the more significant one above. Just didn't have a fancy tweet for it!!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Whatever happened to Trump's wall, did it ever get built? It was one of his favourite campaign slogans last time.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Still, something in FL doesn't seem right. Dade Cubans seem to be more pro-Trump than in 16 and Dade is also one of the three biggest Dem yielding vote counties. So for Biden to be up +7, he would need to be smashing it with whites across the rest of the state.
Maybe older white people who don’t like his Covid response?

SirAF

Ageist
Still, something in FL doesn't seem right. Dade Cubans seem to be more pro-Trump than in 16 and Dade is also one of the three biggest Dem yielding vote counties. So for Biden to be up +7, he would need to be smashing it with whites across the rest of the state.
Good point. Still, as long as Biden takes PA and there aren’t any surprises then it‘s game over. I try to discount Florida in my mind.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
:drool: My new "home" is doing their part.

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...r-incumbent-jackie-toledo-to-nearly-10-points
Poll: Julie Jenkins grows lead over incumbent Jackie Toledo to nearly 10 points
Trump is also trailing 11 points in the Republican-leaning district.

-- Jenkins’ lead is consistent with voter preferences at the top of the ticket, with former Vice President Joe Biden leading President Donald Trump 11 points at 54% to 43%. That lead also grew from the previous poll, which showed Biden leading seven points, a sign that what Democrats have been hoping for has happened — that Trump’s name at the top of the ticket would negatively affect Republican candidates down-ballot.

It’s a remarkable showing in a district that has a GOP voter advantage. Republicans carry nearly 37% of all registered voters while Democrats make up 33.5% and independents 30%. Furthering their advantage, 40% of all registered Republicans are considered active voters — those who have voted at least once in the past four years — while Democrats have just 36% who are active. --

MTF

Good point. Still, as long as Biden takes PA and there aren’t any surprises then it‘s game over. I try to discount Florida in my mind.
Yeah, but then you read about how results in PA will take the longest of any swing state and you get all worried again, especially about the possibility of court feckery. :nervous:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Definitely possible. The COVID response seems to be driving a lot of anti-Trump sentiment.
It has to. Seeing so many friends and relatives die, must make you think.

Sandyman

PA and not Florida is the tipping state for me. Big lead in PA by the end of the night on 3rd and think we can safely call it for Biden.

RCP average has Biden up by only 3.6 in PA :houllier:
538 shows a healthy 5.1 lead.

NotworkSte

:drool: My new "home" is doing their part.

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...r-incumbent-jackie-toledo-to-nearly-10-points
Poll: Julie Jenkins grows lead over incumbent Jackie Toledo to nearly 10 points
Trump is also trailing 11 points in the Republican-leaning district.

-- Jenkins’ lead is consistent with voter preferences at the top of the ticket, with former Vice President Joe Biden leading President Donald Trump 11 points at 54% to 43%. That lead also grew from the previous poll, which showed Biden leading seven points, a sign that what Democrats have been hoping for has happened — that Trump’s name at the top of the ticket would negatively affect Republican candidates down-ballot.

It’s a remarkable showing in a district that has a GOP voter advantage. Republicans carry nearly 37% of all registered voters while Democrats make up 33.5% and independents 30%. Furthering their advantage, 40% of all registered Republicans are considered active voters — those who have voted at least once in the past four years — while Democrats have just 36% who are active. --
Can’t believe she got elected before. Weird family, her ex was a lawyer and got disbarred and I heard he left the US. Her son was at school with my daughter. My wife is convinced she got elected because has a tendancy to flaunt legs and cleavage to the repressed GOP voters.

Boycott

Election 2020: Pie's prediction.
I'm a bit fed up of hearing how Trump's 2016 election was because he appealed to the forgotten man that smug liberals left behind.

- He won two swing states by a combined 0.9% of the vote.

- He won a couple of states with fewer votes than Mitt Romney got when he lost them in 2012. Including a swing state Wisconsin.

- He got a lower percentage of the vote than Romney.

- He reduced the Republican margin of victory in several red states from where Romney won them by in 2012.

It's generally accepted Romney's candidacy was somwhat tone deaf. Trump turned on the populist rhetoric which may have appealed to more working class people than Romney yet the numbers didn't add up. The difference was he was running against a really unpopular Hillary Clinton while Romney was running against a popular Obama. Romney may have won in 2016 as a Republican nominee vs Clinton even more. The idea that Trump was/is a working class whisperer is a total fallacy.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Joe Biden interview on 11th September 2001:

Status
Not open for further replies.