2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nah I get that, I'm not trying to argue with you over a stutter, if it really is then fair do's, if I was an undecided voter it would be something I'd look at but hey Trump is no spring chicken either.
He forgets things half way through sentences.

Fridge chutney

Not since Abraham Lincoln has anyone done more for the black community than Donald Trump.

Trump has repeated this statement hundreds of times (6 times in this debate alone). I have never heard any details about what specifically was done for those communities. Has Trump done anything to substantiate this claim?

Red Stone

"You've gotta convince Republicans to be less racist."

This is an argument against Democrats, somehow.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That’s great. Not every stutter is like yours.
I don't know anything about stuttering myself, but I read an op-ed by a Dutch stuttering 'activist' (not sure what's the right word), who thought Biden's speech patterns were extremely recognizable.

He didn't get, actually, why Biden didn't choose to be open about that: it would have undone the dementia talk and he could have made a great story of personal strength and perseverance out of it. (Plus it would have been heartening for people that stutter all over the world.) Instead, Biden claims he got rid of his stutter entirely - and now gets scrutiny over his odd speech patterns.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Obviously want Trump to lose the elections but Biden doesn't come across well at all. He's not really able to zero in on Trump's failings here. If anything he's getting the tables turned on himself quite easily.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How did this guy manage to waffle his way into the Whitehouse again?

SinNombre

I've seen this Norwegian oil strawman a few times on here now. Ridiculous argument. Even if oil paid for everything in Norway, how about Finland, Sweden, and Denmark, that have similar or stronger social security systems?
How did we get to Sweden? Ridiculous leap in logic, or a reading comprehension fail.

My point is I wouldn't be so proud to be born in Norway, as the OP was.

25% of all of Norwegian government revenues come from the oil sector. Sweden and Finland have both much better private sectors.

Carolina Red

Staff
I don't know anything about stuttering myself, but I read an op-ed by a Dutch stuttering 'activist' (not sure what's the right word), who thought Biden's speech patterns were extremely recognizable.

He didn't get, actually, why Biden didn't choose to be open about that: it would have undone the dementia talk and he could have made a great story of personal strength and perseverance out of it. (Plus it would have been heartening for people that stutter all over the world.) Instead, Biden claims he got rid of his stutter entirely - and now gets scrutiny over his odd speech patterns.
He did do that. It was a major point after the 1st debate and something he talked about in his town hall.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Obviously want Trump to lose the elections but Biden doesn't come across well at all. He's not really able to zero in on Trump's failings here. If anything he's getting the tables turned on himself quite easily.
Agreed Trump has done so much shit anyone else would have totally crushed him.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
He forgets things half way through sentences.

I still think thats greatly exaggerated. I know plenty of people who do that of all ages. Hell I forget names of people I work with closely all the time at moments, but Im in a profession where I deal with hundreds and have to try and keep those at the tip of my tongue at a moments notice. Politicians are no different. Some are just very good at hiding it by not even attempting to recall your name. Ive met a fair number in congress and the senate and if it wasnt for their staffers they wouldn't remember where to go for coffee.

DOTA

I still think thats greatly exaggerated. I know plenty of people who do that of all ages. Hell I forget names of people I work with closely all the time at moments, but Im in a profession where I deal with hundreds and have to try and keep those at the tip of my tongue at a moments notice. Politicians are no different. Some are just very good at hiding it by not even attempting to recall your name. Ive met a fair number in congress and the senate and if it wasnt for their staffers they wouldn't remember where to go for coffee.
It's the name of the fecking president.

Red Stone

How did we get to Sweden? Ridiculous leap in logic.

25% of all of Norwegian government revenues come from the oil sector. Sweden and Finland have both much better private sectors.
Sweden has healthcare on par with Norwegian healthcare. How are they paying for it without oil? Denmark has healthcare on par with Norwegian healthcare. How are they paying for it without oil?

32 countries have universal health care. How are they paying for it? I'm not proud of being born in Norway, because I wasn't born in Norway. I'm extremely thankful I have the privilege of not having to worry about getting sick.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I really don’t understand how he was the best the Dems could come up with, despite having had over 3 years to find the best candidate.

Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

But then again I don’t really get how anything works in USA despite a lifetime of exposure to its culture

DOTA

Oh, god we're praising fracking again.

DOTA

I forget the name of my direct assistants sometimes. Hell I can sometimes not remember my kids names for a sec.
'Timmy, Jill... and... my other child, come in it's time for dinner'.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He did do that. It was a major point after the 1st debate and something he talked about in his town hall.
Oh, cool. :) I missed that.
How did we get to Sweden? Ridiculous leap in logic, or a reading comprehension fail.

You're bringing in the moral argument now, but your initial post was this:
Not every country is so lucky to export $200k worth of oil, every year, per citizen.

When you do that, you can spend 50k+ per year on every citizen.
This was in response to another poster commenting on Norway's generous welfare system. As far as I can tell, the only point of your post here is to suggest that Norway can pay for its welfare system because of its oil income, and that hence other countries can't just be expected to do the same thing. But that's nonsense since, as I pointed out, other countries do offer the same without the oil income.

Edit: @Red Stone had a better response already. :)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

This was very heartwarming - from the DNC...

Status
Not open for further replies.