2021 American Civil War

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I asked this question yesterday in the US Politics thread.

Maddow ran a segment on five states submitting fraudulent state voting certifications, and how the documents are near replicas of one another; Arizona submitted two separate faked documents. It is amazing actual elected officials would sign/certify a document and submit to the Fed. Surely, every person that signed will be prosecuted and removed from office.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
How is every person who engaged in this not in jail? Finding whoever did it should be easy enough.
Exactly my thoughts. This is quite incredible! Hopefully there is a thorough investigation going on and charges are imminent.We still only know some of what happened on Jan 6th.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I think most involved would argue, successfully, that they were concerned about the accusations of voter fraud, etc. Unfortunate but possibly reasonable based on all the noise at the time.
I’m trying to wrap my head around this, I’ll admit. But as I understand it, Republican electors in 5 states knew that their state had been won by Biden but tried to file in documents saying Trump had. How is that possibly reasonable?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I’m trying to wrap my head around this, I’ll admit. But as I understand it, Republican electors in 5 states knew that their state had been won by Biden but tried to file in documents saying Trump had. How is that possibly reasonable?
Reasonable doubt. If they are charged with fraud or anything like that they will argue that they were swayed by media reports of voter fraud and that led them to believe they were doing the right thing not blatantly trying to usurp power, which is what really happened.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Reasonable doubt. If they are charged with fraud or anything like that they will argue that they were swayed by media reports of voter fraud and that led them to believe they were doing the right thing not blatantly trying to usurp power, which is what really happened.
I don't think it works like that though. They signed official documents which they knew were false. Now, I don't think a jury of 12 "peers" in any of those states will convict them (even if there was no "reasonable doubt"), but it's still a crime no mater the motivation.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
But there wasn’t a shred of evidence suggesting fraud actually happened? Other than Trump and acolytes saying it. If they’re allowed to fake stuff like this now, you’re never going to have a normal election again.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't think it works like that though. They signed official documents which they knew were false. Now, I don't think a jury of 12 "peers" in any of those states will convict them (even if there was no "reasonable doubt"), but it's still a crime no mater the motivation.
Did they know they were false, though? I mean, we know they probably didn't but big lie and all that.

But there wasn’t a shred of evidence suggesting fraud actually happened? Other than Trump and acolytes saying it. If they’re allowed to fake stuff like this now, you’re never going to have a normal election again.
Right but they'll argue they believed the reports, saw some data, etc. As we've seen in other areas, it will depend entirely on the judge and their political leanings, probably.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Did they know they were false, though? I mean, we know they probably didn't but big lie and all that.

Right but they'll argue they believed the reports, saw some data, etc. As we've seen in other areas, it will depend entirely on the judge and their political leanings, probably.
Even from where I’m sitting, far from it all, it’s absolutely infuriating watching an entire party doing everything it can to destroy any resemblance of democracy. And they can seemingly do so without being held accountable.

Don’t know why American politicians can make my blood boil so much.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
all of that except the license plate are obvious photoshops, right? Look at the haze around the words.
if it is, i've been fooled by a mutual follow, small twitter account, which is a proper shame :lol:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
if it is, i've been fooled by a mutual follow, small twitter account, which is a proper shame :lol:
I mean, it looks fake, and just for the sake of humanity I really hope it is. On the flip side, if it is fake the creator is an asshole, especially if the license plate is not some nefarious racist thing. It is Tennessee so there is a 89% chance it is, but still.

stoinz

This is really crazy. How can they be so blatant and get away with it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This is really crazy. How can they be so blatant and get away with it.
I guess being a politician in America is extremely lucrative and comfortable. They don't want to lose that and therefore will get real dirty to keep that comfort. So they'll say anything and try anything.

If I recall correctly Ted Cruz for example studied law at Harvard and was described as extremely smart. Either he's turned out to be completely delusional and evil and really believes what he says, or he says whatever is needed to maintain his votes and power.

The Firestarter

Now we see why he fought that hard to block this.Mad that these were even preserved. Unless some backup system that scrapes everything even after the first autosave, so nothing can be deleted.

Also, actually ordering secretary of defence to seize voting machines . I mean :houllier: . As if what actually transpired wasn't fecked up enough, here's what you missed. In the other timeline when this happened, they are now celebrating their first hunger games.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Now we see why he fought that hard to block this.Mad that these were even preserved. Unless some backup system that scrapes everything even after the first autosave, so nothing can be deleted.

Also, actually ordering secretary of defence to seize voting machines . I mean :houllier: . As if what actually transpired wasn't fecked up enough, here's what you missed. In the other timeline when this happened, they are now celebrating their first hunger games.
Wouldn't deleting them have been a pretty major crime?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Probably for official/final documents, but we are talking about drafts here. Not sure how these are classified.
Pretty sure it's the lot:

§2201. Definitions

As used in this chapter—

(1) The term "documentary material" means all books, correspondence, memoranda, documents, papers, pamphlets, works of art, models, pictures, photographs, plats, maps, films, and motion pictures, including, but not limited to, audio and visual records, or other electronic or mechanical recordations, whether in analog, digital, or any other form.

(2) The term "Presidential records" means documentary materials, or any reasonably segregable portion thereof, created or received by the President, the President's immediate staff, or a unit or individual of the Executive Office of the President whose function is to advise or assist the President, in the course of conducting activities which relate to or have an effect upon the carrying out of the constitutional, statutory, or other official or ceremonial duties of the President. Such term—

(A) includes any documentary materials relating to the political activities of the President or members of the President's staff, but only if such activities relate to or have a direct effect upon the carrying out of constitutional, statutory, or other official or ceremonial duties of the President; but

(B) does not include any documentary materials that are (i) official records of an agency (as defined in section 552(e) 1 of title 5, United States Code); (ii) personal records; (iii) stocks of publications and stationery; or (iv) extra copies of documents produced only for convenience of reference, when such copies are clearly so identified.

The Firestarter

Pretty sure it's the lot:

§2201. Definitions

As used in this chapter—

(1) The term "documentary material" means all books, correspondence, memoranda, documents, papers, pamphlets, works of art, models, pictures, photographs, plats, maps, films, and motion pictures, including, but not limited to, audio and visual records, or other electronic or mechanical recordations, whether in analog, digital, or any other form.

(2) The term "Presidential records" means documentary materials, or any reasonably segregable portion thereof, created or received by the President, the President's immediate staff, or a unit or individual of the Executive Office of the President whose function is to advise or assist the President, in the course of conducting activities which relate to or have an effect upon the carrying out of the constitutional, statutory, or other official or ceremonial duties of the President. Such term—

(A) includes any documentary materials relating to the political activities of the President or members of the President's staff, but only if such activities relate to or have a direct effect upon the carrying out of constitutional, statutory, or other official or ceremonial duties of the President; but

(B) does not include any documentary materials that are (i) official records of an agency (as defined in section 552(e) 1 of title 5, United States Code); (ii) personal records; (iii) stocks of publications and stationery; or (iv) extra copies of documents produced only for convenience of reference, when such copies are clearly so identified.
Assuming it is a crime to delete drafts, I'd still think the crime suggested on the draft itself is bigger than that of deleting it. My money is still on the automated system taking care of this.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Tucker is mad because the new brown M&M doesn't get him horned up.