2021 American Civil War

RedTiger

Half mast
Impeachment is a political process, conviction/removal is a criminal (civil?) process.

Impeachment - yes.
Conviction - remains to be seen, sounds like McConnell might be open to it but I’m not convinced he will whip for it.
Jeff Flake made a good point yesterday; he said that if there's impeachment without conviction then that would give future presidents carte Blanche to do the same as Trump again.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
House votes to impeach. Senate votes to convict. If after impeachment in House, Senate conviction fails (e.g. Trump, Clinton), presidency continues and Trump is eligible for reelection in 2024. If Senate convicts, then he's barred from getting elected again.

That's my understanding.
I believe the house and senate can separately take a simple majority vote and ban him from any future office too.

Dudu

Disappointing but ultimately not surprising.

Still.. I think it's the most ever votes to go the other way in an impeachment.

It is! Most bipartisan impeachment ever.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
What was the final house vote from his 1st impeachment?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Looks like all Dems will vote yes since conscientious progressive patriot bhakt surfer Tulsi Gabbard is no longer with us.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Does this graphic show two dems voted against impeachment?
Yep.

Jeff Van Drew, who became a Republican right after and some dude from the midwest whose district flipped Trump and he was hoping this would get him reelected. Didn't work.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’m being stupid but numbers don’t add when compared to tonight’s. I did google but is there a full breakdown of the previous one?
that was the 2019 vote. I know, it's confusing since he is the only guy to be impeached twice.

Revan

Assumptionman
House votes to impeach. Senate votes to convict. If after impeachment in House, Senate conviction fails (e.g. Trump, Clinton), presidency continues and Trump is eligible for reelection in 2024. If Senate convicts, then he's barred from getting elected again.

That's my understanding.
Not correct. If the senate convicts him (requires 2/3, so 67 senators) he can still run for office. But, after convicting, the senate can have another vote to ban him from holding federal office (requires only majority). In that case he is banned from ever holding a federal office, and l believe loses pension etc.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
"I've been impeached more times than any other president, EVER. Nobody has ever been impeached more than once! I've done it twice, TWICE! Incredible.

People said you can't be impeached twice, but I did it"

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not correct. If the senate convicts him (requires 2/3, so 67 senators) he can still run for office. But, after convicting, the senate can have another vote to ban him from holding federal office (requires only majority). In that case he is banned from ever holding a federal office, and l believe loses pension etc.
Could be wrong but I see this...

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two-thirds of the Members present. Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.
I don't think a separate vote is needed.

WPMUFC

Catching up on some of the news

• Congresswoman claiming seditionists were given a tour of the Capitol
  • Video going around with seditionists talking about a floor plan as they invaded.
  • Clyburn claiming his "unmarked office" was located by seditionists.
  • Pressleys office had custom panic alarms installed after threats, staff went looking for them and they had been removed.
  • Qanon GOP member was live tweeting Pelosi location.
There seems to be way more to this insurrection than a rambling Maga horde.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Does it help or hurt that I can't actually taste it due to COVID?
That's just pissing money away. Better get cheap cheese and donate the rest to Trump - looks like he's going to need it soon.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
That's just pissing money away. Better get cheap cheese and donate the rest to Trump - looks like he's going to need it soon.
fecking test came back negative, so can't blame COVID anymore. I think I'll have a snobby GC late night snack to celebrate and ponder how the hell I got another bug while quarantining.

Edit: speaking of presidents and cheese:

A New York dairy farmer sent President Jackson an interesting gift: a 1,400-pound cheese. Jackson left it in the Entrance Hall of the White House to age for two years. In 1837 the President invited the public to come and eat it. The cheese was gone in two hours, but the stain and smell in the Entrance Hall lasted for a long while.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
fecking test came back negative, so can't blame COVID anymore. I think I'll have a snobby GC late night snack to celebrate and ponder how the hell I got another bug while quarantining.
A bug that also messed with your taste? Damn.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
it's weird. I have a bunch of covid symptoms (temp, stomach issues, reduced taste, light headed), but no cough, no sinus issues. Oh well. On to that sandwich.
Enjoy!

(Slow chat for the win.)