2021 American Civil War

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Wait, so what do they think happened here?
They think it was all staged.

To make 'em look bad.

The idea is that the MAGA "patriots" just gathered outside, peacefully - and then a number of BLM (whatever that would be) and/or ANTIFA (whatever that would be) and/or paid actors (on Biden's payroll, I suppose) stormed and gained access to the building.

The well known right wing crazies who were caught on camera inside the building were - to a man and a woman - impostors in the sense that they aren't actually MAGA. Like the guy with the horns. Or the guy who put his feet up on Pelosi's desk. Or the fecker wearing the Auschwitz shirt. Or that Nazi YouTuber...whatever his name is.

These people are all...fake - and have, presumably, spent a lot of time pretending to be something they ain't. In some cases they must have spent decades developing their covers - but, yeah, sure.

Precisely how Donnie's own statement to the same people - "we love you, but calm down" - fits into the narrative...is not entirely clear. But I have seen attempts at explaining this too (hint: they make about as much sense as your average conspiracy theory).

In short, they don't think. They just yell.

Fluctuation0161

Politicians..
Nurses and doctors risk their lives every day. Military and police also risk their lives regularly.
But these highly paid politicians are too afraid to do what is right for their nation, to do what they are paid to do.

Do you think if they follow through with a conviction it will be the best outcome? Or would that give Trump an "OJ Simpson" type trial and public platform which would stoke the fire and cause more civil unrest?

Disclaimer: my understanding of this process in the USA is limited!

decorativeed

They think it was all staged.

To make 'em look bad....

The idea is that the MAGA "patriots" just gathered outside, peacefully - and then a number of BLM (whatever that would be) and/or ANTIFA (whatever that would be) and/or paid actors (on Biden's payroll, I suppose) stormed and gained access to the building.

The well known right wing crazies who were caught on camera inside the building were - to a man and a woman - impostors in the sense that they aren't actually MAGA. Like the guy with the horns. Or the guy who put his feet up on Pelosi's desk. Or the fecker wearing the Auschwitz shirt. Or that Nazi YouTuber...whatever his name is.

These people are all...fake - and have, presumably, spent a lot of time pretending to be something they ain't. In some cases they must have spent decades developing their covers - but, yeah, sure.

Precisely how Donnie's own statement to the same people - "we love you, but calm down" - fits into the narrative...is not entirely clear. But I have seen attempts at explaining this too (hint: they make about as much sense as your average conspiracy theory).

In short, they don't think. They just yell.
But the people who staged it somehow couldn't find a man to play this, err, man? Or they were being all 'Liberal Hollywood Elite, pandering to the equality crowd' by casting a woman as a male cop?

Sounds about right for these morons.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
Do you think if they follow through with a conviction it will be the best outcome? Or would that give Trump an "OJ Simpson" type trial and public platform which would stoke the fire and cause more civil unrest?

Disclaimer: my understanding of this process in the USA is limited!
I have no idea, I kind of think the U.S. is messed up anyhow. But I do believe Trump should be convicted, and that he should be labelled for all eternity as a criminal president, and that he must not be able to run for president again in 4 years. Maybe it will stoke the fire, but letting him off the hook might also cause more problems further down the road?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Actually , thats more of a KKK flag innit ?
What I heard from some pundit on TV is that this flag was introduced very late into the confederacy , and they didn't actually want to adopt it. KKK on the other hand has been using it since its inception. @Carolina Red for history check.
it's the Confederate battle flag, the one their military units flew during the war. It was used by the Southerners during the Civil Rights era that wanted to protest against Civil Rights and long used by the whole "Lost Cause" movement.

Carolina Red

Staff
:angel:
You really kept some bitterness with that specific folk, eh?
You just don't understand what it's like to live here and hear folks everywhere talk about how they were the good guys.
What I heard from some pundit on TV is that this flag was introduced very late into the confederacy , and they didn't actually want to adopt it. KKK on the other hand has been using it since its inception. @Carolina Red for history check.
If it is a square flag with a blue St. Andrews cross with stars on red background it is the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. If it is a rectangle of the same design, it is from the Army of Tennessee.

It was proposed as the national flag, was rejected for the "Stars and Bars", and then was adopted by the Confederate military.

It did eventually made it into part of the design of the 2nd and 3rd Confederate national flags.
at Appomattox Court House too.
:lol:

The Firestarter

it's the Confederate battle flag, the one their military units flew during the war. It was used by the Southerners during the Civil Rights era that wanted to protest against Civil Rights and long used by the whole "Lost Cause" movement.
:angel:

You just don't understand what it's like to live here and hear folks everywhere talk about how they were the good guys.

If it is a square flag with a blue St. Andrews cross with stars on red background it is the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. If it is a rectangle of the same design, it is from the Army of Tennessee.

It was proposed as the national flag, was rejected for the "Stars and Bars", and then was adopted by the Confederate military.

It did eventually made it into part of the design of the 2nd and 3rd Confederate national flags.

:lol:
Cheers.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

RedDevil@84

:nervous:
Well, I had one guy, try to convince me that all democracies have been won with violence and by speaking up against atrocities committed by the people in power. So the people who raided the Capitol were right minded people, doing the things the right way. Only that they were doing it all for Trump who is a liar, so the blame is only on Trump and no one else.
He also tried to lecture me on the "real democracy" which US has been effectively enabling in their country and others. And real democracy involves people's right to protest by beating up cops, breaking windows and raiding govt buildings. And that lady did not deserve to be shot at for believing in something so sacred.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Well, I had one guy, try to convince me that all democracies have been won with violence and by speaking up against atrocities committed by the people in power. So the people who raided the Capitol were right minded people, doing the things the right way. Only that they were doing it all for Trump who is a liar, so the blame is only on Trump and no one else.
He also tried to lecture me on the "real democracy" which US has been effectively enabling in their country and others. And real democracy involves people's right to protest by beating up cops, breaking windows and raiding govt buildings. And that lady did not deserve to be shot at for believing in something so sacred.
I'm going to take a wild guess that he wasn't so sympathetic to BLM protesters who didn't storm a seat of government and who largely merely peacefully protested?

tombombadil

Tell that to the BLM people who got murdered. and the rest who got arrested and ostracized.

RedDevil@84

I'm going to take a wild guess that he wasn't so sympathetic to BLM protesters who didn't storm a seat of government and who largely merely peacefully protested?
Tell that to the BLM people who got murdered. and the rest who got arrested and ostracized.
I didn't even get to the BLM discussion. The guy was so full of "the rightful way of democracy" lectures that I could no longer hold any sensible conversation.
Most of his talk started with things like "Let me educate you on how America was formed" or "Let me educate you on how democracy works"

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I have no idea, I kind of think the U.S. is messed up anyhow. But I do believe Trump should be convicted, and that he should be labelled for all eternity as a criminal president, and that he must not be able to run for president again in 4 years. Maybe it will stoke the fire, but letting him off the hook might also cause more problems further down the road?
I for one think a second Trump term in 2024 might just be the end of the US as we know it. It's going to be a term 100% based on hatred and revenge against pretty much everyone.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I didn't even get to the BLM discussion. The guy was so full of "the rightful way of democracy" lectures that I could no longer hold any sensible conversation.
Most of his talk started with things like "Let me educate you on how America was formed" or "Let me educate you on how democracy works"
My talk would start with - feck off you patronising cnut.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
It's all good until that same dude was in the same office as you, or goes to the same yoga class, or belongs to the same whatsapp group, or happened to be your relatives.

It's sad that politics and religion (for some part of the world) breaks family apart.
What difference does that make?

Fluctuation0161

Really tough decision to make.

By rights Trump probably should be convicted. But I imagine that long and drawn out process would serve to radicalise sections of his support. They already feel like conspiracies are being perpetrated against them, so a conviction of their poster boy and an ex president could, worst case scenario, lead to some level of civil unrest/ civil war. Possibly in the form of domestic terrorism or insurrections.