2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Great to know about your son, the club I swim has also a waterpolo team but it requires a different skill set than swimming. Like a lot tougher with the constant contact, sometimes I've played against the teens or the girls team but even then I end up all bruised and sore the next day. It's really not a sport for me but I like to watch it.

Yup, I can see that happening and that's what I waas talking about. Being a strong swimmer doesn't necessarily transfer to waterpolo, the main difference for me is the swimming technique; in swimming is all about technique and efficiency, you want to maintain your body above the water and hold your head down in order to reduce drag. In waterpolo you have to keep your head high almost all the time and swimming with that position is super demanding, it's not very efficient so that alone would deplete your stamina quite quickly and we're not yet to the part where the other guy is drowning you and kicking your body and crotch underwater while trying to control the damn ball.

The first time I played against people who actually practiced waterpolo it felt like a truck hit me and they were going easy on me. Since then I was scared to play even against girls and would just pass the ball as quickly as I could but they would still beat me and drown me. I think you also need to be very aggressive and some kind of masochist. :lol:
Being a really good swimmer is a great base for playing polo but as you say the technique is very different. When my son switched t polo at 11/12 his swim coach threw him out of the swim squad because polo butchers your technique. :lol:

At the younger ages you don't train often enough not to do additional swim training but as you get older and training goes to 10+ 3 hr sessions a week which incorporates swimming you tend to stop swimming squads.

Out of the pool my son is a gentle giant. In the pool he takes no shit and never takes a step back but is also good at remaining calm and often gets hotheads rolled.

Not great footage but from a pre-season trial tournament. He is #7. Takes a foul on the right wing then drives in to centre forward. Turns the centre back when he gets a pass in then takes the major foul (you have to release the ball) which draws an exclusion. He then scores at the end of the extra man play (20 seconds without the excluded player). You will see lighter utility players (and particularly the women) get much further out of the water but not easy to get 118kgs out of the water to the same height.

Last edited:

Classical Mechanic

Easily our worst regatta since Atlanta (shudders at performance) and our first games without a gold since 1980
I read that in rowing there's been a complete culture change in the coaching after the bullying scandals around the recent successful Olympic teams. They're moving from the stick approach to the carrot approach in simple terms and haven't got it right yet. There appears to be some confidence that they'll be back for Paris.

Great that we've improved in the pool but the regatta has been very disappointing. Any word on how we're expected to do in the track cycling? That's another sport that's had to radically change the coaching culture.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
More Water Polo.

Italy scraped past the US by 1 goal after going in to the final quarter a goal down.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
My son's mate, a former world record holder in the 200m free
Ian Thorpe?!?!?!
United States will certainly put Dressel in the freestyle but Chalmers from Australia was almost as fast so while United States should win on paper it could also affect the swimmers having to swim from behind and as not every country is going to use the same configuration there are going to be a lot of change in positions throughout the race. At least that's what I'm expecting.
Not sure. They might put Dressel in the butterfly. Do they have Simone Manuel?

Both medley relays and mixed medley relay left
More Water Polo.

Italy scraped past the US by 1 goal after going in to the final quarter a goal down.
Get in! With how disappointing we were in fencing, this might be our best shot at gold left :lol:

Also, once again I am in awe of Ledecky

Now hope Sjostrom can finally get that elusive olympic gold in the 100m free, though it doesn't look likely :(

Our Greg pulled off a miracle silver in the 800 too, considering he had mononucleosis just before the olympics it's as good as a gold(but also, feck sake, if he didn't get the illness he would have taken gold :mad:). Good vibes to try and defend the title in the 1500. And he's going for the open water event as well, the absolute madman :lol:

The 4×200...another one where the favourites were supposed to run against the WR instead of the competition like in the men. And tbf to the aussie gals, they did beat the(ir) WR...it's just that China shattered it :lol:. Unbelievable race. Ledecky also pulling off silver for the americans, incredible

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
When you look at differences between sports; in some sports you prepare yourself 4 years to be 10 minutes on OG. One mistake and medal is gone (judo, swimming, gimnastics...).
On the other hand in some sports like sailing, tennis or team sports you need to play hours and hours for medal.

I don't know what is easier path, tbh

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Great reply! Meanwhile the rest of us have no idea why you actually think my post was unreasonable. But according to you, calling a sport boring is a "ridiculous" thing to say and requesting that commentators actually explain certain rules at the Olympics is also a "ridiculous" thing to say, even though this is the only time when many people will watch some of the niche sports. This is also despite the fact that commentators in other sports often explain rules even for regular watchers such as during F1 for example :rolleyes:. Ridiculous though right?
Yes that sums it up pretty succinctly. Well done

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Man, China is so overpowered in table tennis, I feel bad for Otcharov and Boll.:( Such dominant players for years but for Olympics/World championships they always run into a barrage of Chinese stars and eventually get slapped around. Basically no chance for a single gold medal whatsoever.

Inigo Montoya

Boring is of course in the eye of the beholder.

I do think you have a point about the commentary. My favourite sport, water polo, is a case in point. The rules are often counterintuitive to the uninitiated and required explaining for a casual viewer to understand and without that understanding the enjoyment is reduced and it tends to look like brawling in the water whereas it is a hugely technical sport and also requires amazing levels of fitness and swimming ability. My son's mate, a former world record holder in the 200m free, once played a fairly low level game for fun with my son and ended up vomiting at the side of the pool at the end. Partly because there are different types of fitness of course but .....
A former world champion squash player whom I knew pretty well went on a run with a middle distance runner and nearly collapsed after a couple of kilometres. Despite having huge levels of fitness, running with someone who was running under 5 min miles for fun wasn’t what he was used to. He was training by doing 400m reps and resting for a min, then repeating it. Running at the 400m pace continuously, killed him!

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Just rewatched some of the swimming finals from last night, such an exciting sport.

Dressel vs Chalmers was a lot closer than I expected it to be, and the 4x200m free for the women was just incredible. Titmus starts for Australia and immediately fecks it up, and I really thought Ledecky was going to overtake the Chinese at the end. Incredible stuff.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
When the swimming is so close how do they tell who actually finished first so quickly? Is there a sensor they touch?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Also how do they manage to update the details of a race so quickly with people switching positions constantly?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A former world champion squash player whom I knew pretty well went on a run with a middle distance runner and nearly collapsed after a couple of kilometres. Despite having huge levels of fitness, running with someone who was running under 5 min miles for fun wasn’t what he was used to. He was training by doing 400m reps and resting for a min, then repeating it. Running at the 400m pace continuously, killed him!
Water Polo and boxers are often identified as having the best all round fitness but there is also a huge aspect of being fit for the sport you play and your size and build matter as well.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
When the swimming is so close how do they tell who actually finished first so quickly? Is there a sensor they touch?
Pressure pads at the end but I don't know how they estimate each swimmers pace that they project onto the TV now.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Pressure pads at the end but I don't know how they estimate each swimmers pace that they project onto the TV now.
Even before they hit the pads they’ve got a live update on their positions even if it’s impossible to tell with the naked eye. Mad.

JuveGER

Supports
Juventus
Man, China is so overpowered in table tennis, I feel bad for Otcharov and Boll.:( Such dominant players for years but for Olympics/World championships they always run into a barrage of Chinese stars and eventually get slapped around. Basically no chance for a single gold medal whatsoever.
So close for Otcharov. :(

9-11 in the final set. Great performance, but ultimately missed out by the finest of margins.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
So close for Otcharov. :(

9-11 in the final set. Great performance, but ultimately missed out by the finest of margins.
I wrote that when he was 2-0 down and hoped I might have jinxed Ma Long when Otcharov came back. Great fight but yeah, ultimately fells short. Olympics is especially brutal since you get so few opportunities in your career:(

Carolina Red

Staff
There is a mixed medley relay left! I just became aware of it today when a caster talked about it. I'm really excited at that event as it will be interesting to see which gender each country assigns for each style. I think USA and Australia should be favorites as they have strong swimmers in almost every style with both genders and Great Britain should be winning a medal as long as they stick with Adam Peaty in the breaststroke.

United States will certainly put Dressel in the freestyle but Chalmers from Australia was almost as fast so while United States should win on paper it could also affect the swimmers having to swim from behind and as not every country is going to use the same configuration there are going to be a lot of change in positions throughout the race. At least that's what I'm expecting.
That sound like it’s gonna be a fun one to watch! Should be close!
Doesn't everyone?

They are deafening here especially if you are close to the bush.
I honestly had no idea that Japan would have them.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
When's all the athletic stuff? Like 100m, hurdles, high jump, etc..?

slyadams

I like how the male expert gynmastics commentator sounds like a 70 year old guy in a flat cap who's smoked 40 a day for most of his life but is really this guy:

Inigo Montoya

I like how the male expert gynmastics commentator sounds like a 70 year old guy in a flat cap who's smoked 40 a day for most of his life but is really this guy:

He was a good gymnast in his time, Craig. Saw him on that celebrity gymnastics programme with Nadia Comaneci a few years back

Bobski

Watching Hockey always makes me feel there is an incredible sport being held back by the traditions of the game. That comes from someone who only ever watches at the Olympics so no doubt I am missing a ton of nuance and appreciation of tactics. It is so staccato though, you see some moments of great skill and dexterity of ball manipulation but so many stoppages and little flow.

croadyman

Looked like Mallory might just break the GB Female gold duck this morning but not quite

slyadams

Watching Hockey always makes me feel there is an incredible sport being held back by the traditions of the game. That comes from someone who only ever watches at the Olympics so no doubt I am missing a ton of nuance and appreciation of tactics. It is so staccato though, you see some moments of great skill and dexterity of ball manipulation but so many stoppages and little flow.
I feel like this too. Seems like a lot in the circle is semi random, someone smashes the ball, takes a deflection onto a foot, penalty corner.

Watching the gymnastics this year something had grated on me. The men’s apparatus is all athletic based, the women are still expected to throw in dancing on both the floor and balance bar. Seems outdated now.

Deery

Dreary
It’s mad that these gymnasts can even do these things never mind on a beam..

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He was a good gymnast in his time, Craig. Saw him on that celebrity gymnastics programme with Nadia Comaneci a few years back
The other (less successful) Craig of British gymnastics was a member of my gym club when I was there, he was a good 7/8 years older than me at the time and I used to be in awe of him. And a guy I used to compete against who was a year younger than me went on to become British #1 (I think) and is now a stunt actor.

Inigo Montoya

The other (less successful) Craig of British gymnastics was a member of my gym club when I was there, he was a good 7/8 years older than me at the time and I used to be in awe of him. And a guy I used to compete against who was a year younger than me went on to become British #1 (I think) and is now a stunt actor.
Good grounding for stunt work! Remember seeing Matt Baker train with some stunt actors at Universal when he was on Blue Peter. His gymnastics ability shone through